What did you do?

dreamfinder

Did 13.1 at the gym on Sat at BQ pace, 16 and change outside on Sunday in the heat. I really need to change the timing of that run so I'm not running at high noon. I realized that I stopped sweating around mile 12. And I sweat buckets when running distances. Thats not a good at all when you are still 4 miles from home. There is toughing it out, and then there is just foolish.

JillC LI

Did 13.1 at the gym on Sat at BQ pace, 16 and change outside on Sunday in the heat. I really need to change the timing of that run so I'm not running at high noon. I realized that I stopped sweating around mile 12. And I sweat buckets when running distances. Thats not a good at all when you are still 4 miles from home. There is toughing it out, and then there is just foolish.

Time to carry more liquids! Nice long runs. When is your intended BQ race?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Carry water with you. On my 30 mile runs, I carry 2 liters in my hydration vest, 20oz. in the right holster, and 12 oz flask in the left. On the hour, I'll take a Succeed electrolyte cap. Stay hydrated and always carry water with you no matter how short the run.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just under 120 miles last week (Mon-Sat).

18.10 miles this morning in 90 degree heat with 64% humidity.

2 Green Flash IPAs now.

Stay hydrated everyone!

Cheers.

scorp111

Great runs everyone.

4 miles for me this morning @9:20

80 degrees with 98% humidity, equals feels like of 86, and I had to get up at 0445 for this :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just checked my xls running log. I have 537.7 miles on my Saucony Ride 3's. They still feel good for the most part and my inserts are holding up.

I have found my shoe.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just checked my xls running log. I have 537.7 miles on my Saucony Ride 3's. They still feel good for the most part and my inserts are holding up.

I have found my shoe.

Good stuff! It's great when you find a shoe that you are completely happy with. I 'm really happy with my Asics Kayano - just wish they were not so expensive. I would like to replace them more often, but the price is going to be an issue.

joel_maxwell

Good stuff! It's great when you find a shoe that you are completely happy with. I 'm really happy with my Asics Kayano - just wish they were not so expensive. I would like to replace them more often, but the price is going to be an issue.
My low end Asics the first go around didnt last 400. 2 pair of Mizuno's were shot after 300 with the tread looking new. The cushion and support were just gone.

Now, enter the Saucony's. Like you, glad I finally found the shoe. It was so frustrating spending that type of money on a shoe and it break down and not fit properly after 2 months.

Mine are $100 (middle grade), but the inserts are $40. I think I might be able to use these inserts again for 1 more shoe purchase. Not sure though.

faw286570

Mine are $100 (middle grade), but the inserts are $40. I think I might be able to use these inserts again for 1 more shoe purchase. Not sure though.

Hey everyone! Can I ask a question? Can I get more information about the inserts you reference?

I haven't had need of any additional insoles and this came up recently when my wife bought a pair of sandals at a local outdoor center.

The store manager and I were discussing local running and he mentioned that I might want to try some inserts or insoles in my shoes to extend their life and my comfort. The discussion stopped before I could get more information as he was called away with another matter. He referenced both inserts and insoles - while he may have meant something different from what you reference - I just wonder what it means from your perspective.

Oh yes - sticking with the topic - I did a 4.5 mile run this hot/humid morning in N.C. at 6am. Another 98 degree day!

JillC LI

The Kayano is my second choice to the Nike Equalons. I can put a good 500+ miles on the Nikes without any trouble. But yeah, at $140 a pop, that bites. Still, it's cheaper than joining a gym. I used to get 10% off at Superrunners for being a member of the NY Road Runners Club, but they changed that so it only applies if you buy $500 worth of product within oneyear, which I do not. Bummer.

I wimped out from the heat this morning and did my 4 miles on the treadmill in my basement with the super fan blowing at me. I had a slight twinge in my knee on my last run so I convinced myself that the softer treadmill belt would be better for me than the cement (and 90+ heat). Btw, that weird sensation I had of the string around my toe seems to have disappeared after a few days. Hopefully it was nothing.

dreamfinder

Time to carry more liquids! Nice long runs. When is your intended BQ race?

This attempt will be the absolute last chance before general registration. Sept 18th. On the 19th anyone with a qualifying time can try to register. This race says their pacers will actually be shooting for 5 minutes under so you can register at the computer they will have at the finish line..... Optimism if I ever saw it. Hopefully this one goes better than my last disastrous attempt.

Carry water with you. On my 30 mile runs, I carry 2 liters in my hydration vest, 20oz. in the right holster, and 12 oz flask in the left. On the hour, I'll take a Succeed electrolyte cap. Stay hydrated and always carry water with you no matter how short the run.

I do. Normally my fuel belt is sufficient for runs of around that length. Not sure why this one hit me so hard. Means I either need to drop extra water somewhere to refill, or change my run so I loop back by my house earlier rather than an out and back.

Have you tried caps other than Succeed? I had been looking at SaltStick Caps but haven't seen much in real comparisons between brands other than what they contain.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
This attempt will be the absolute last chance before general registration. Sept 18th. On the 19th anyone with a qualifying time can try to register. This race says their pacers will actually be shooting for 5 minutes under so you can register at the computer they will have at the finish line..... Optimism if I ever saw it. Hopefully this one goes better than my last disastrous attempt.

Have you tried caps other than Succeed? I had been looking at SaltStick Caps but haven't seen much in real comparisons between brands other than what they contain.

Saltsticks have other ingredients you really do not need and for some reason they cause me to cramp for a few minutes. Succeed however, just has buffered sodium (341mg) and potassium (21mg) and they work really well. I only take 1 on the hour, though 1 every half hour works but just be careful.

joel_maxwell

Hey everyone! Can I ask a question? Can I get more information about the inserts you reference?

I haven't had need of any additional insoles and this came up recently when my wife bought a pair of sandals at a local outdoor center.

The store manager and I were discussing local running and he mentioned that I might want to try some inserts or insoles in my shoes to extend their life and my comfort. The discussion stopped before I could get more information as he was called away with another matter. He referenced both inserts and insoles - while he may have meant something different from what you reference - I just wonder what it means from your perspective.

Oh yes - sticking with the topic - I did a 4.5 mile run this hot/humid morning in N.C. at 6am. Another 98 degree day!
I use Super Feet. I use the orange kind. I started out with the green pair, but they were a bit too arched for me. The orange were just right after about 50 miles of breaking in. Typically, I dont need an insert with the first 100 miles on a shoe. After that, they start breaking down and I need one.

This past February, I really screwed up my sheathing that wraps around your Achilles. Had to sit for 2 weeks. No running. I went and bought me inserts that next day.

You need to get fitted for them, so look for a dealer near you. If you have arch problems or foot discomfort after a few miles in your shoes, these products will help most likely. :wave:

faw286570

Thanks for the new knowledge! I checked the link provided and found a dealer in the town where I live. Definitely something to check out.

A rest day today - though maybe a nice family walk this evening!

JillC LI

That IS optimism, but I think it's great. Good luck!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
18.53 miles this morning
18.33 miles yesterday.
18.10 miles on Monday.

My hips and back are taking a beating from carrying so much weight (extra water in the vest) lately. Sharp pain in my left hip at mile 15.65, but it went away in another quarter mile.

Still trying to custom-make my own hydration vest; taking apart old hydration units and combining them with others. There are pros and cons with all of my vests, so I'm trying to combine all of the pros into one. I'm pretty particular as to wear I carry and reach for things on the run, so hopefully all of this "Frankenstein" work pays off. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Drinking some strange double IPA from Norway now...Cheers folks.

joel_maxwell

I was going to have an great week but nature has taken its course.

Monday I got a good 4 miles in.
Yesterday I cramped up and quit at 2 mile knowing I was going to have a good morning and afternoon run.
Last night, Rivers was up crying ALL night. So, my am run was cancelled. Now, it is pouring. I mean pouring.

Ill have to go later tonight... 1 week off starting tomorrow is going to kill me. Stupid minor out patient surgery. Errrr!

fmingo36

Got in 3.5 miles this evening.
It was a bit more humid than I expected and I felt the heat much sooner than I had liked. I honestly don't know how you Southern runners do it during the summer months.

fmingo36

18.53 miles this morning
18.33 miles yesterday.
18.10 miles on Monday.

My hips and back are taking a beating from carrying so much weight (extra water in the vest) lately. Sharp pain in my left hip at mile 15.65, but it went away in another quarter mile.

Still trying to custom-make my own hydration vest; taking apart old hydration units and combining them with others. There are pros and cons with all of my vests, so I'm trying to combine all of the pros into one. I'm pretty particular as to wear I carry and reach for things on the run, so hopefully all of this "Frankenstein" work pays off. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Drinking some strange double IPA from Norway now...Cheers folks.

I was wondering how you dealt with hydration during your runs. I have a belt with a few small water bottles and it drives me crazy when I first start running and also when my sides are uneven. I guess that's one good thing about running on the treadmill, I always have water handy and I don't have to carry it.
Can't wait to see your "Franken-vest".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom