What did you do?

JillC LI

Completed my first Spartan Race yesterday morning. Finished 25 out of 125 in the elite morning wave. What an awesome event this was. There was not much actual running involved as it was more or less climbing up and down a ski slope through the woods and over rocks littered with obstacles.

The race starts off with an a run directly up a ski slope, very high grade. Then it turns off the trail and into the woods to traverse rocks and fallen trees. The first tough obstacle was a crawl under barb wire over the same rocks and brush we had been running through with difficulty. Did a number on the knees. It only got harder from there. There was this one obstacle, you had to fill a 5 gallon bucket with gravel, then carry it about a quarter mile straight up a black diamond steep ski slope, then back down. That was murder. Then it was back to climbing across the slopes through the woods and rocks, then a nice downhill sprint to a 150 yard mud crawl under barbed wire. This was horrible. The mud was probably something like 70% rocks 30% mud, so it was brutal to crawl through. And the wire was low enough that you needed to be flat down to get underneath it. Then it was back into the woods for a good tick, then towards the finish. Jump over a fire pit, run through some gladiators and and hour and 5 minutes from when I started, I was soaked to the bone, and dirtier then I have ever been. There was more obstacles thrown in here and there, but those were the big hard ones.

Just awesome. Signing up for a similar event in three weeks. I am hooked.

Can't wait to get back to training this week. Although I do need a couple days off because my body took a beating yesterday.

Wow, that sounds incredible! Not for me, but still incredible! :ROFLOL: Congratulations! And welcome to the board.

On an unrelated note, Joel, I hope Sam is feeling better.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Boy, I don't get online for one weekend and I have 2.5 pages of posts to catch up on here! I'm glad to see the board hopping.

I did review the Garmin instructions this weekend, and I see how I can go to Intervals on the watch and create an interval run. Steve, when you do the 100 meters, do you enter .06 miles into the watch? I'm going to try that on my next run and hope it works. Do I have to enter the workout every time I want to run it, or can I save it somehow (other than the computer which I would not turn on and connect to at 5:30am)? Also, once you create a workout on the computer, how do you upload it to the watch? i'm really looking forward to figuring out and using this feature!

Yep its 0.06. I've attached a screen grab on my program that I made in the Training center on the PC so you can see what I did.

To uplaod it to the watch, in the Training Center on the PC, Go to FILE, SEND TO DEVICE. Once it's up there it will stay and you can use it again and again.

Attachments

• sprintsCapture.JPG
    sprintsCapture.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 44

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yep its 0.06. I've attached a screen grab on my program that I made in the Training center on the PC so you can see what I did.

To uplaod it to the watch, in the Training Center on the PC, Go to FILE, SEND TO DEVICE. Once it's up there it will stay and you can use it again and again.
Really neat. I havent even gotten into what this device can do for me in these regards. Very impressive yet so simple it makes me feel silly that I havent used this tool.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Really neat. I havent even gotten into what this device can do for me in these regards. Very impressive yet so simple it makes me feel silly that I havent used this tool.

yeah this is where the 305 really come into its own for me. The way you can program it to do exactly the workout you want is great.

JillC LI

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! If you hadn't attached that thumbnail, it would have taken me forever to figure out what I was trying to accomplish. Instead it took me 10 minutes, and now I have the workout on my watch. I'm so excited to try this new use of my Garmin. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help, Steve.

JillC LI

OMG I had no idea the Garmin had this custom workout feature :hammer:, and I love it! :sohappy: This morning I went out for the short interval workout that Steve posted yesterday as an example and which I successfully programmed online and uploaded to my watch (4 reps of 100 meters by 1 minute then 4 reps of 1/4 mile by 1 minute). It was so cool to have the watch beep at me to tell me when to change segments without having to watch the time and distance constantly. And I went really FAST for me! I did the 100 meter sprints at about 7:30 min/mile, and I did the 1/4 mile sprints between 8 and 8:45 min/mile (I started to lose it towards the end), but what a workout. With a slow warmup and cooldown, I totally 3.5 miles at 9:22 min/mile pace which is great for me. Now I can't wait to customize some more workouts. Thanks again for the guidance, Steve!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
OMG I had no idea the Garmin had this custom workout feature :hammer:, and I love it! :sohappy: This morning I went out for the short interval workout that Steve posted yesterday as an example and which I successfully programmed online and uploaded to my watch (4 reps of 100 meters by 1 minute then 4 reps of 1/4 mile by 1 minute). It was so cool to have the watch beep at me to tell me when to change segments without having to watch the time and distance constantly. And I went really FAST for me! I did the 100 meter sprints at about 7:30 min/mile, and I did the 1/4 mile sprints between 8 and 8:45 min/mile (I started to lose it towards the end), but what a workout. With a slow warmup and cooldown, I totally 3.5 miles at 9:22 min/mile pace which is great for me. Now I can't wait to customize some more workouts. Thanks again for the guidance, Steve!

You're welcome! Glad to be of service. I agree - the 305 is awesome at giving you a custom workout and letting you know what's going on.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks Jill. She is. After 1 week just sitting in the hospital and a bed... doing nothing and feeling fine, she came home Friday. Everything seems to be getting back to our chaotic normal. :D

Hey Joel, I didn't want you to think I wasn't thinking of you! I wrote my well-wishes to you and Sam, but I think it's a few pages back...hope you saw!:wave:

17.01 miles and 14 push-ups this morning.

16.77 miles and 104 push-ups yesterday.

103.27 miles total last week.

After reading "Born To Run" (which every runner, ultra or casual runner, should read) I went and got my custom DiY huarache sandals (really easy to make) from Barefoot Ted. I started running in these and my posture, stride, and all my movements, though different, seem so much more efficient and comfortable. I don't think I can go back to regular running shoes, after running in these, or after reading Born to Run.

Might move my solo 50 miler up a bit sooner to try and avoid the heat and humidity of August.

Beer now. Cheers!

joel_maxwell

Nice work! That's some hot conditions to be running in.
Steve, you have no idea if you have never experienced our summers. There is something about this region of the southeast (I think it is worse in Louisiana, parts of Mississippi and Texas) that just has high heat and absurd humidity. Sam gets really worried about me running in these conditions. I keep them under 4 miles. Anything over that, I run in the morning. Still bad, but at least the sun isnt beating you down.

Hey Joel, I didn't want you to think I wasn't thinking of you! I wrote my well-wishes to you and Sam, but I think it's a few pages back...hope you saw!:wave:

17.01 miles and 14 push-ups this morning.

16.77 miles and 104 push-ups yesterday.

103.27 miles total last week.

After reading "Born To Run" (which every runner, ultra or casual runner, should read) I went and got my custom DiY huarache sandals (really easy to make) from Barefoot Ted. I started running in these and my posture, stride, and all my movements, though different, seem so much more efficient and comfortable. I don't think I can go back to regular running shoes, after running in these, or after reading Born to Run.

Might move my solo 50 miler up a bit sooner to try and avoid the heat and humidity of August.

Beer now. Cheers!
I did Nick. Thanks Buddy. :wave: I scrolled through pages while sitting in the hospital. I didnt try and reply a lot since I was on an iphone and to be honest, I was tired of using it. She is doing a lot better and at home now. Yea for all of us at my house.

I find a lot of fun humor in this statement. I wish August was our only bad month for heat. We havent had rain in weeks to cool things off. I actually cant remember the last time it rained.

I dont know Nick. I think those shoes are only meant for a very small % of runners. Im waiting for the day (not happily at all) that some runners that use the 5 finger shoes etc to have some narly repercussions from the impact and non cushion on their joints since their body doesnt pronate correctly or they werent supposed to be in the shoe to begin with. Im probably one of the biggest skeptics of this new trend. I understand the argument, but on cement and hard running surfaces.... I just need cushion

If you are in that small % and it works for you, then that is cool and I hope it makes your life/running better. I just see a lot of people using these type shoes that are probably not the right demographic for them. Anyway... sorry for the

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I dont know Nick. I think those shoes are only meant for a very small % of runners. Im waiting for the day (not happily at all) that some runners that use the 5 finger shoes etc to have some narly repercussions from the impact and non cushion on their joints since their body doesnt pronate correctly or they werent supposed to be in the shoe to begin with. Im probably one of the biggest skeptics of this new trend. I understand the argument, but on cement and hard running surfaces.... I just need cushion

If you are in that small % and it works for you, then that is cool and I hope it makes your life/running better. I just see a lot of people using these type shoes that are probably not the right demographic for them. Anyway... sorry for the

I agree Joel. There are so many people jumping on the bandwagon because they think it's cool. They dont take into consideration the mechanics. For me, going minimal works and helps strengthen the natural muscles etc... I have always had trouble in regular running shoes and my Sauconys seem to be the lesser of the evils. But with the huaraches, I am so much more aware of how I run and it's so much more comfortable than my Sauconys. I'll keep you posted how I'm doing.
Glad the whole Maxwell clan is doing well!

Texas84

Twas a luvly 96F after work today (36C for my UK and Nihon-jin mates). Was wondering why I felt so good then discovered the humidity was all the way down to 50%. Training for the F&W has officially started! :sohappy:

JillC LI

Sounds like the high temps and humidity are everywhere these days. I hate walking out the front door and getting hit with it. I was sick of the snow this winter, but I'll take cold temps over hot any day. Really gotta get my runs in early (or do them on the treadmill with the fan blowing at me!). Regarding the "barefoot" running debate, I've gotta stick to my high cushioning, high stability shoes or I'd have some really big problems. That was the deal I made with the surgeon who operated on my ankle 8 years ago.

Glad Sam is home and doing well.

joel_maxwell

Twas a luvly 96F after work today (36C for my UK and Nihon-jin mates). Was wondering why I felt so good then discovered the humidity was all the way down to 50%. Training for the F&W has officially started! :sohappy:
Very Nice. Hate that Im going to miss it this year.

Sounds like the high temps and humidity are everywhere these days. I hate walking out the front door and getting hit with it. I was sick of the snow this winter, but I'll take cold temps over hot any day. Really gotta get my runs in early (or do them on the treadmill with the fan blowing at me!). Regarding the "barefoot" running debate, I've gotta stick to my high cushioning, high stability shoes or I'd have some really big problems. That was the deal I made with the surgeon who operated on my ankle 8 years ago.

Glad Sam is home and doing well.
Wow. That is a promise.

Thanks. Once cleared at 6 weeks to exercise, I have to get her out running.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
2 miles last night. Just getting the muscles loose again after the Spartan on sunday. Felt pretty good. Supposed to be over 100 today, may have to use the treadmill. :hurl: Oh how I hate the treadmill. Got another obstacle run in 16 days though, so I need to get back on the horse.

scorp111

Moving and work have taken a toll lately on my running.

Didn't run for 3 days. An easy 4 miles this moring at 9:28 per mile.
It is something at least.

Hope to get at least one longer run in this weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom