What did you do?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Hey everyone, I just recently started running, and even more recently (today) discovered this corner of the forums.

I am training for the Spartan Sprint in Tuxedo NY this coming weekend. Started out about a month ago barely able to run 2 miles. Got through about 10 days of training before realizing I was running in sneakers that were all wrong for my feet. I have Osgood Schlatters, as an adult, which is fairly uncommon, and need super cushioned shoes. I also got custom insoles because I have very high arches and they were always collapsing. Since then, I have been working hard and building up and finally yesterday I set a new record for my 5k, then continued on and went over 5 miles. It was a great feeling. Took be 44 minutes to do the 5 miles. I am hoping to get up to around 8 miles in under and hour, 4 times a week.

I had no idea running could be so addictive. Now if I can get my wife into it so we can do a Disney Run.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hey everyone, I just recently started running, and even more recently (today) discovered this corner of the forums.

I am training for the Spartan Sprint in Tuxedo NY this coming weekend. Started out about a month ago barely able to run 2 miles. Got through about 10 days of training before realizing I was running in sneakers that were all wrong for my feet. I have Osgood Schlatters, as an adult, which is fairly uncommon, and need super cushioned shoes. I also got custom insoles because I have very high arches and they were always collapsing. Since then, I have been working hard and building up and finally yesterday I set a new record for my 5k, then continued on and went over 5 miles. It was a great feeling. Took be 44 minutes to do the 5 miles. I am hoping to get up to around 8 miles in under and hour, 4 times a week.

I had no idea running could be so addictive. Now if I can get my wife into it so we can do a Disney Run.

Welcome to the running board!!

Sounds like you are doing really well - nice work! Let us know how the event goes.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

Welcome. :wave:
`
I have inserts too. Super Feet orange. I like your pace too. Well done and keep up the good work.

joel_maxwell

I havent run since Monday morning. Sam had to go back to the hospital with high BP due to pregnancy. She has been there all week. I have been up there, at home, taking care of a 3 year old and still going to work all day. :D

Needless to say, my heart wants to go for a run in the BOB once we get home, but Isabeau is so tired from school, it just isnt fair to her since I need to get her fed etc.

Hoepfully she gets discharged today and we will resume normal life this weekend. If so, Im running Saturday and Sunday. I might sneak home today on lunch and get between 3-5 in. We will see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Welcome to the running board!!

Sounds like you are doing really well - nice work! Let us know how the event goes.

Thanks. I am doing better then I thought I'd be, still have work to do to catch up to all of you.

Welcome. :wave:
`
I have inserts too. Super Feet orange. I like your pace too. Well done and keep up the good work.

Thanks. The inserts have made a huge difference for me. There was a good amount of sticker shock to over come when they were rung up in the store, but I am thrilled to have them now.

On another note, someone mentioned the Nike+GPS app for the Iphone. I have it, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who runs with an iphone. Nothing better then finishing a run and having Tracy Morgan congratulating you in your headphones.

joel_maxwell

Thanks. The inserts have made a huge difference for me. There was a good amount of sticker shock to over come when they were rung up in the store, but I am thrilled to have them now.

On another note, someone mentioned the Nike+GPS app for the Iphone. I have it, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone who runs with an iphone. Nothing better then finishing a run and having Tracy Morgan congratulating you in your headphones.
Mine are $50 but will probably last 2 pairs of shoes worth. Mine have about 400-500 miles on them and they are still feeling great. I need to calculate their mileage.

joel_maxwell

It is 94 outside at 11:30am. I mean really? Heat index "feels like 100".

3 miles on lunch. Was going to do 4 but Ill do that pushing Isabeau tomorrow. This one was solo. 8:30 pace.

With that heat/pace ratio, I just did a 7:00 mile over 3 if it were 30 outside. Ill take it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Mine are $50 but will probably last 2 pairs of shoes worth. Mine have about 400-500 miles on them and they are still feeling great. I need to calculate their mileage.

The ones I got are 70, tacked on to the cost of sneakers and I was taken aback.

I'll be taking the next 2 days off. The race is Sunday morning at 9 am. I want to have fresh legs.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I havent run since Monday morning. Sam had to go back to the hospital with high BP due to pregnancy. She has been there all week. I have been up there, at home, taking care of a 3 year old and still going to work all day. :D

Needless to say, my heart wants to go for a run in the BOB once we get home, but Isabeau is so tired from school, it just isnt fair to her since I need to get her fed etc.

Hoepfully she gets discharged today and we will resume normal life this weekend. If so, Im running Saturday and Sunday. I might sneak home today on lunch and get between 3-5 in. We will see.

Hey Joel, my well-wishes to Sam. Let me know how things go.

16.66 miles and 104 push-ups this morning.
I have a small race tomorrow morning, that I will be running to, and after the race and breakfast, running back home, to give me roughly a 30 miler for the day.
72 days until my solo, un-aided, out and back, 50 mile ultra.
Cheers folks.

lpet11984

Did a short 2.5 miles today. After a long day of 6 consecutive 5th and 6th grade beginning strings concerts all day and a private lesson after school, I was pretty tired, but it just felt good to be outside. Looking forward to another nice day and a longer run tomorrow after a good night's sleep.

lpet11984

Welcome and good luck with your upcoming run!

Isn't Nike+ great?! I havent gotten any other voices other than Lance Armstrong though... Any tips on using the app? I'm pretty new to it, but love how well it works for me.

Texas84

3.14 miles this AM. 80F, 70% humidity at 8:00AM. Thought I was doing OK but my time was horrible. I ran through an intersection without even looking so maybe I wasn't OK. I was lucky. Be careful out there! :lookaroun

I did my first 3.1 mi walk. I finished in 1:15. I am slow but at least I got there. :D I also went to my parents and did an upper arm workout. Now I am at work and I am SORE! Legs and arms. Woo!

GoofyRacer11

Ran the St. Ambrose Relay for Life 5k this morning after running about 5 miles. Came in 3rd overall and then I ran 3.5 miles back to my house to finish my 12 mile run. Now its off to soccer practice.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Ran the St. Ambrose Relay for Life 5k this morning after running about 5 miles. Came in 3rd overall and then I ran 3.5 miles back to my house to finish my 12 mile run. Now its off to soccer practice.

LOL nice work! I like how you slotted the race into your overall workout!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
5k race in 23 mins yesterday morning (an annual thing regardless of he distance:D)
And then ran 15.1 miles after that.

16.67 miles and 104 push-ups this morning then walked with my wife for 2.73 miles.

Beer now? Of course.
Cheers folks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Completed my first Spartan Race yesterday morning. Finished 25 out of 125 in the elite morning wave. What an awesome event this was. There was not much actual running involved as it was more or less climbing up and down a ski slope through the woods and over rocks littered with obstacles.

The race starts off with an a run directly up a ski slope, very high grade. Then it turns off the trail and into the woods to traverse rocks and fallen trees. The first tough obstacle was a crawl under barb wire over the same rocks and brush we had been running through with difficulty. Did a number on the knees. It only got harder from there. There was this one obstacle, you had to fill a 5 gallon bucket with gravel, then carry it about a quarter mile straight up a black diamond steep ski slope, then back down. That was murder. Then it was back to climbing across the slopes through the woods and rocks, then a nice downhill sprint to a 150 yard mud crawl under barbed wire. This was horrible. The mud was probably something like 70% rocks 30% mud, so it was brutal to crawl through. And the wire was low enough that you needed to be flat down to get underneath it. Then it was back into the woods for a good tick, then towards the finish. Jump over a fire pit, run through some gladiators and and hour and 5 minutes from when I started, I was soaked to the bone, and dirtier then I have ever been. There was more obstacles thrown in here and there, but those were the big hard ones.

Just awesome. Signing up for a similar event in three weeks. I am hooked.

Can't wait to get back to training this week. Although I do need a couple days off because my body took a beating yesterday.

JillC LI

The custom programming part is my favorite feature of the 305 - it does it really well. Yep you do it on the PC then upload it (you can do it directly on the watch, but it is much easier on the PC). It beeps to tell you when to change as well as displaying the instruction on the screen.

Let me know if you have any problems, I'd be happy to help with the programming.

Yep...you can also do it directly on the watch. When you go to select what workout you want, choose Interval (as opposed to Quick and another one that I can't remember off the top of my head). Then you can choose your options from there.

Boy, I don't get online for one weekend and I have 2.5 pages of posts to catch up on here! I'm glad to see the board hopping.

I did review the Garmin instructions this weekend, and I see how I can go to Intervals on the watch and create an interval run. Steve, when you do the 100 meters, do you enter .06 miles into the watch? I'm going to try that on my next run and hope it works. Do I have to enter the workout every time I want to run it, or can I save it somehow (other than the computer which I would not turn on and connect to at 5:30am)? Also, once you create a workout on the computer, how do you upload it to the watch? i'm really looking forward to figuring out and using this feature!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom