What did you do?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What are you feelings about those rumors? Just angry runners making things worse or is there really a decent foundation to believe this?

I'm sure @surfsupdon will do DLP '18. ;-)

The people I spoke with are hard core Anaheim runners. They aren't happy and all live in Southern California, except for one - she's up in Sacramento. So they are reading the local newspapers and are tuned into the local running scene. However, if rD doesn't kill the races, I think the 5 year hiatus is accurate. There really is a lot of animosity towards Disney from the City. And one individual told me the City residents don't like having their streets closed down for races.

dreamfinder

Sun was 5@1, 4.25@8, .5@7:30, .25@7. Today was bike.

Surprised/not surprised about a potential delay in the Cali races. Have we seen a time table for the hotel construction that is reportedly messing with the start/finish/cheering/whatever areas? I can easily see that being a 2-3 year project, delaying any races that long. And when you toss in the bad blood with the current city council, I can see waiting until they get a few more votes in their favor. Heck, even just opening SWL and being able to point to a few percentage point bump in room sales off property goes a long way to getting back in their good graces. And then the final nail in the coffin I still say is the slowdown in runDisney events overall. They (and running in general) seems to be on the downhill portion of the popularity curve. Give it another 5-10 years and it will probably tick upwards again, running seems to be cyclical like that.

Texas84

Harlingen Texas half, hot and humid, wasn't my best. The full is a Boston qualifier. But I'm retired from the full, just sticking to half distance and lower. If you're in Texas I highly recommend this event. Very well managed, more hydration stops than needed, and plenty of fresh fruit on the course. That orange slice at mile 9 was a life saver.
HRLbling.jpg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
A bit more than 2 miles on the treadmill. Am supposed to run tomorrow night with my running group but the "real feel" of 5 degrees F has scared off most of the group. I'm more of a "wait and see" person because the winds are supposed to die down in the morning.

RunningKoen

Yesterday: great weight training (chest).

Today: planned a 9.3M run. Quitted after 3.1M in 23:45 because of the cold. It was around 28 degrees F, with a 'real feel' of 14 degrees F. The wind was making it so cold and I was way underdressed for that.

So, just like @Swissmiss , struggling with the wind and cold that's freezing up half of europe

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Yesterday: great weight training (chest).

Today: planned a 9.3M run. Quitted after 3.1M in 23:45 because of the cold. It was around 28 degrees F, with a 'real feel' of 14 degrees F. The wind was making it so cold and I was way underdressed for that.

So, just like @Swissmiss , struggling with the wind and cold that's freezing up half of europe

Glad my group decided not to run this evening then, because our temps are a little colder. I had been willing to try but that was problably more because I recently discovered a decent Mexican restaurant near where we run and we were going to eat together after our run.

RunningKoen

Glad my group decided not to run this evening then, because our temps are a little colder. I had been willing to try but that was problably more because I recently discovered a decent Mexican restaurant near where we run and we were going to eat together after our run.

I bet you are more used to those temps. I can handle cold quite well, I just had nothing to break the wind (running single layered) and that worked okay if it wasn't for the wind. My city has tons of perfect running routes, but most of them are fully exposed to the wind (next to the river)

On the bright side: mexican food is always good! You should still go, but skip the run and have a group dinner. ;-)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I bet you are more used to those temps. I can handle cold quite well, I just had nothing to break the wind (running single layered) and that worked okay if it wasn't for the wind. My city has tons of perfect running routes, but most of them are fully exposed to the wind (next to the river)

On the bright side: mexican food is always good! You should still go, but skip the run and have a group dinner. ;-)

Not really - average temperature here is usually just above freezing in the winter. And I was all for the group dinner but I think the others were afraid I'd be too convincing about trying a run first :joyfull:

JillC LI

Um, 6.2 miles....and a medal. 😁
Harlingen Texas half, hot and humid, wasn't my best. The full is a Boston qualifier. But I'm retired from the full, just sticking to half distance and lower. If you're in Texas I highly recommend this event. Very well managed, more hydration stops than needed, and plenty of fresh fruit on the course. That orange slice at mile 9 was a life saver.
View attachment 266806
Congrats to both of you. I'll keep that Texas race in mind for after we move next year (although I haven't run more than 10 miles in the 2.5 years since I was diagnosed with RA. We'll see.

As for me, 4 miles outside yesterday in the lovely 40s weather.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Congrats to both of you. I'll keep that Texas race in mind for after we move next year (although I haven't run more than 10 miles in the 2.5 years since I was diagnosed with RA. We'll see.

As for me, 4 miles outside yesterday in the lovely 40s weather.

I'll take the 40s over the temps Sunday.

And I can walk!!! Well, slowly and wearing a pair of crocs I use as slippers.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm home!!!!!!! Unwrapped all the bandages on my right foot. While the silver dollar size blister on the left side of the heel on my right foot is still full of fluid, but starting to heal, the big, raw one on the bottom of my foot looks sooooo much better. Won't be running for a few weeks just so everything can heal.

First thing I did when I got home after unpacking was hang up my medals. Got a nice collection growing....

20180228_181540.jpg

dreamfinder

Bike today. Knee felt iffy, didn't want to push it.

Nice medals. I would imagine that all of @Texas84 or @dreamfinder medals wouldn't fit in just one picture 😛

: ) I think I'm relegated to hanging just my main challenge medals now. Rest are boxed up. Interestingly enough though, my DM does the same thing that @LAKid53 does and puts the event pin on the lanyard. Hadn't seen that before.

Congrats @LAKid53 (and anyone else who ran any event recently)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Bike today. Knee felt iffy, didn't want to push it.

: ) I think I'm relegated to hanging just my main challenge medals now. Rest are boxed up. Interestingly enough though, my DM does the same thing that @LAKid53 does and puts the event pin on the lanyard. Hadn't seen that before.

Congrats @LAKid53 (and anyone else who ran any event recently)

Those are the "I did it" pins they now have - and they open to reveal which race. So they've got three sets of pins - the event pin, the medal replica pin (one with the ribbon) and now the "I did it" pin. I manage to end up with at least one set of each type, since I forget what I preorder.

And your DM is brilliant! I've been putting the event pin on the medal lanyard since my first rD race. What else am I going to do with all those pins?

I've got more medal hangers - my daughter gave me a really nice one for Christmas - with the rD "Every Mile is Magic" on it. And they were having a fantastic sale online for the ones you can purchase from Disney. Bought my SIL the Yoda one. He definitely needs more medals...

123951.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom