What did you do?

Kristia

@Kristia that's one heck of a way to bust a new PR! By 1:15! What a great race. Chafing stinks (especially when that shower water first hits you!) but at least the knees held up. Congratulations. Enjoy the post-race high and then get some well-deserved rest. What's next?
Thanks Jill! What's next? REST! Actually that is probably the last race this year unless we do a local 5k. No definite plans for next year yet. Dan had such a tough time today that he said no more fulls for him.

dreamfinder

Congrats on the PR @Kristia !
My real problem is the chafing and I used bodyglide. Apparently not enough! Also have a few blisters.

Can never use enough body glide...... Although I found that by becoming a running UnderArmor billboard and wearing pretty much all compression-esque (IE Not necessarily "slurp" but not loose) helps.

Sat was 2@8:30,3@6:24,1@8:30. Sun was 15@8:30. Not thrilled with the pace, but at this point I'm just looking to build the miles back up.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Saturday I did 10 miles in the taper. I was just not interested in running this weekend, but of course I got it done. I was more nervous and excited about Isabeau's first Turkey Trot 1 mile Run for her school. We have been training for a February kids marathon, but this was great to have in the middle of the schedule. So, I knew being a 1 mile run, a lot of the other kids would just sprint off the start and get tired after 1/2 mile. So, we talked all week about keeping our "training" pace for the first half which was down hill, the 1 flat city block and the last 1/2 was back uphill and we would let it loose. I told her to trust me and we would stick to the plan; Steady pace... and we will catch all those other kids in the end.

SO, we got to the uphill and all her friends had sprinted passed her and as I imagined, she was commenting the first 1/2 mile about how her friends were beating her. On the last 1/4 mile, we caught them, passed them and smoked' em to the finish line by 50 yards at minimum. I was elated. She ran the entire mile on her little bird legs and trusted me like I told her too. AND, as many laugh and ask how we do it, she talked the whole mile and we just had a great conversation.

Here are some pics:
At the finish and she got her ribbon. It was much colder than expected... and she was shivering.
photo 2b.JPG

Certificate and Turkey medal. Speaking of bird legs.... ;)
photo 1b_small.jpg

ChristaH

@joel_maxwell that is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Congrats to you and your girl for a great race and great mentoring.

Yay for @Kristia and Dan!

After short runs of 4.5 and 5 miles during the week, 8 muggy miles last night were exponentially suckier than the 10 miles I did last weekend. Light sprinkle near the end which meant sweaty rain water running in my eyes, burning like crazy. I was just glad to finish. Next weekend will be cooler and hopefully better!

LindsayLoves

@joel_maxwell - holy cuteness! Super job pacing her and proving to her that starting out slow is the way to go! What a great lesson to learn so young.

5 miles of hills for me today. Not as easy as it was a few months ago when I was in better shape but I am slowly working my way back.

joel_maxwell

Thanks Christa and Lindsay! This sport is good for her so far. She isnt the toughest like her sister, so, co'ed soccer is getting to be crazy and some of the boys were a head taller and had 20 lbs on her.

BTW, to show how small she is, that is a youth S tech shirt. Look at the sleeves. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
My posts have been lacking. Training personal clients and just got a new job at the local fitness spa as a personal trainer and endurance running coach. The good thing is, that i get to run to work and add more miles to my morning long runs. Sorry body :banghead:

My best to everyone and their training!

bethram

4.2 easy miles this morning at 9:23. I was trying to change up my week and make Monday my easy run, Wednesday still hills, and Thursday speed, but its not working out that way. I'm hoping to salvage at least three runs during the week but they will probably be three days in a row.

dreamfinder

Bike and core.

For all of you who were drooling over the Patagonia Houdini, Moosejaw (www.moosejaw.com) has 20% off Patagonia for another day or two, including current colors on the Houdini w/free shipping. Not as good as the end of season 30-50% Patagonia will run in a few months, but better than full price.

Mr mom

I was a slacker this week and took a 3 day weekend, back at it today 7 + miles today. then woodpile and lights on the house.

joel_maxwell

Thanks everyone. She is an awesome kid. We did 1 mile last night, and it seemed effortless for her. Of course, Mr Toby went with us.

Then, in taper week Im in, I did 3 additional later under the insane full moon. Mr Toby wanted to go too, so he is starting to rack up miles too.

Just enjoy the taper Joel. Looks like we have been running in the 40's the last month here in Birmingham, and on race day, it will be 60 and potentially raining. I love additional challenges on top of 30 miles.

Last edited:

ejsanta13

congrats @joel_maxwell and @Kristia on your races. my posts (and running) have been a little lacking since the Baystate 1/2 in October. Did something to the back of my knee during the race and took a couple of weeks off, tried a run and about 3/4 mile in, I felt the tweek again. It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since then and will go for it again this week. Was so disappointed I was not able to run the Castaway Cay 5k during our 5 night cruise on the Magic last week. Guess I'm just gonna have to book another so I can check that race off my list.....

diddy_mouse

Just a little over a mile this afternoon @ 11:55 pace, basically a lap around my apartment community. Found out that running in the wind with the sun in my eyes is not really a good thing. No contacts = no sunglasses. :( Also I found it interesting that my ears were really hurting once I got inside. Maybe I should have thrown a hat on before I went out the door.

Also I think I'm considering trying the holiday run streak. Do at least a mile a day from Thanksgiving to New Years Day. It would be a big commitment for me, but I'm looking to challenge myself. :)

bethram

4 miles on TM. Consistent 9:48 pace. Had already watched General Hospital so I didn't have my usual entertainment. :arghh:

This will be me in the morning except I have plenty DVR'd that I need to catch up on. I hate the treadmill, but it beats not running at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom