What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Luckily, I eat a lot of cheap carbs like potatoes, crackers etc. For fruits, I wore out banana's so bad in the past, I still cant eat them. I eat about 30 grapes a day, 2 hand fulls of spinach, green beans and lentils. Then I eat whatever the family eats for dinner which is always decently healthy.
My day: coffee, waffles, 5 eggwhites on a bagel, local made granola bars, hummus, tortilla chips, greek yogurt, beer, beer, and dinner which could consist of 3 fish tacos and rice &beans, or an entire large pizza no cheese but loaded with veggies and extra sauce, or my homemade soup that has potatoes, corn, peas, cauliflour, carrots, and onions. Dessert is ice cream or pie or cookies or chocolate milk or whatever. I eat to run ;-)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
My day: coffee, waffles, 5 eggwhites on a bagel, local made granola bars, hummus, tortilla chips, greek yogurt, beer, beer, and dinner which could consist of 3 fish tacos and rice &beans, or an entire large pizza no cheese but loaded with veggies and extra sauce, or my homemade soup that has potatoes, corn, peas, cauliflour, carrots, and onions. Dessert is ice cream or pie or cookies or chocolate milk or whatever. I eat to run ;-)
Breakfast:
Coffee- 3 cups
2 egg whites
Larabar

Lunch:
Cheese Stick
Huge turkey sandwich on mountain bread smothered in spinach leaves
1 serving unsalted peanuts
1 serving almonds
banana nut bar
30 grapes
3 oreos

Dinner: What ever the family has and tall glass of milk

Night snack:
Unsalted crackers or peanuts

Kristia

Finally ran tonight. Only a little pain that worked its way out pretty quickly. Did 4 miles @ 10:50 pace. Even though it is warm out, it really felt like a fall run. Nothing better than running through the fallen leaves and smelling the wood stoves and fireplaces burning (not sure why though since it way 70 degrees)!

ChristaH

Finally ran tonight. Only a little pain that worked its way out pretty quickly. Did 4 miles @ 10:50 pace. Even though it is warm out, it really felt like a fall run. Nothing better than running through the fallen leaves and smelling the wood stoves and fireplaces burning (not sure why though since it way 70 degrees)!
Yay! So to hear you had a good run!

bethram

4.1 miles in a drizzly rain. It was dry when I got dressed and started to warm up so I ran back upstairs and grabbed my raincoat and went with it.

dreamfinder

Nothing wrong with the run-walk method, but why do you automatically assume you wouldn't be able to run the whole way? What if you slowed your pace and built up the mileage gradually to avoid injury? As I've said to a lot of people over the years, if *I* can run a marathon the whole way without stopping (albeit slow and steady), they can too. It's all about making the time to train sufficiently.

This. Alot of it is mental. Going in thinking you won't be able to do it greatly increases your chances of failure. While there is nothing wrong with using something like Galloways Run/Walk method, the whole point behind it is that you can complete a marathon, which lots of people never thought they could. So if you thought you could never finish a marathon but have set that goal, why not take it a step further and realize that you could run the whole thing?

Mr mom

another 7 miles, foot did not take as long to even out, and was not bad at work last night so I have decided to run it out.

Mr mom

sounds nice, too bad it also means the cold is coming

Sumrdog

I have been gone for weeks, suffering with the weight of my busy life, I have been barely able to get my runs in...It has been discouraging. Hopefully things are slowing down and I can get 10 miles done tomorrow my first day off in 11 days. Running in the morning is off limits right now because the sun doesn't rise until 8am and we have had several problem bears both grizzly and black in the neighborhood...I won't bore you all with the sordid details but in the last two weeks, I have had run ins with a fox, a black bear and been sprayed by a skunk. I may have to start using the dreaded treadmill until these creatures start hibernating!
I did do a pink run 5k, for breast cancer that was super fun, I ended up going around the course a third time with my daughter and her friend who were walking for most of it. I now have a color run out of my system and don't feel the need to do another, I was blowing pink out of my nose for days.

I am all caught up on everyones doings and it's nice to see that I am not the only one who struggles with injury, motivation and unexpected animal encounters. Congratulations on all the runs and PR's I read about.

JillC LI

Running in the morning is off limits right now because the sun doesn't rise until 8am and we have had several problem bears both grizzly and black in the neighborhood...I won't bore you all with the sordid details but in the last two weeks, I have had run ins with a fox, a black bear and been sprayed by a skunk. I may have to start using the dreaded treadmill until these creatures start hibernating!

WOW! Now that's dedication (and perhaps a touch of insanity!;)) to be out there truly running with nature like that. Ugh to the spraying by a skunk. :eek:

Texas84

Got back into the Higdon routine this week. Struggling big time after those four 12-hour days walking through WDW.

BTW, the MagicBand? Pretty slick. The only problem was with the point of sale devices. You have to learn the 'roll' technique to get it to read. I got the hang of it the second day. Got lots of practice at Food & Wine. :D

bethram

Nothing wrong with the run-walk method, but why do you automatically assume you wouldn't be able to run the whole way? What if you slowed your pace and built up the mileage gradually to avoid injury? As I've said to a lot of people over the years, if *I* can run a marathon the whole way without stopping (albeit slow and steady), they can too. It's all about making the time to train sufficiently.

I'm not necessarily saying I can't run the whole thing, I just think I may need to accept that its ok if I take occasional walk breaks which is very hard for me to admit/accept.

This. Alot of it is mental. Going in thinking you won't be able to do it greatly increases your chances of failure. While there is nothing wrong with using something like Galloways Run/Walk method, the whole point behind it is that you can complete a marathon, which lots of people never thought they could. So if you thought you could never finish a marathon but have set that goal, why not take it a step further and realize that you could run the whole thing?

When I finished my first half, I said I'd never do it again, but I have. I also said that I had no desire to run a full, running for four plus hours straight did not appeal to me. Running for that long still doesn't necessarily appeal to me, but I now have the desire to do it. As my husband has pointed out, I am very competitive but it is with myself and not against other people. Once I decide I'm going to do something - like run a half in less than 2:15 without walking - I do it. I guess I need to finish wrapping my head around running a full and just do it.

Any suggestions on training plans? I did not like Galloway method when I trained for the Princess and threw it out the window less than halfway through the plan.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I'm not necessarily saying I can't run the whole thing, I just think I may need to accept that its ok if I take occasional walk breaks which is very hard for me to admit/accept.

When I finished my first half, I said I'd never do it again, but I have. I also said that I had no desire to run a full, running for four plus hours straight did not appeal to me. Running for that long still doesn't necessarily appeal to me, but I now have the desire to do it. As my husband has pointed out, I am very competitive but it is with myself and not against other people. Once I decide I'm going to do something - like run a half in less than 2:15 without walking - I do it. I guess I need to finish wrapping my head around running a full and just do it.

Any suggestions on training plans? I did not like Galloway method when I trained for the Princess and threw it out the window less than halfway through the plan.
You can email me or get me on FB for a training plan. You know my running resume ;-)

JillC LI

I used the plan recommended by the NY Road Runners Club when I trained for the NYC Marathon. Was nice and gradual, rarely had more than 4 days per week of running, and was very doable, leading me to a slow (but running-all-the-way) finish.

Last edited:

JillC LI

Thought people might find this article of interest: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304561004579137713459355656

Ran 3 miles yesterday with DD on her bike. No watch - just nice and easy. Felt like I had just warmed up when it was ending!

DS ran a 6:07 mile yesterday - his PR. I'm so amazed.

I'm so excited to meet and run with @Kristia and @fmingo36 this weekend at the Hershey Half! See ya both at packet pickup around 11am. I have your cell #s programmed into my phone now.
I'll be wearing one of my runDisney shirts. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom