What did you do?

JillC LI

6.2 miles in 1:13:15. The farthest I have ever run. But I was wiped out and could not go one more step. How am I ever going to make it more than twice that far???

You will. That's why you build up in small increments. Right now focus on 7 miles. Then you'll focus on 8. Then 10. By the time the race is here, if you stick with your training, you WILL be ready.

ChristaH

I personally think it is a good idea to train eating chocolate for any race! (or any reason!) In fact, now that I am running over an hour, I started experimenting with hydrating while I run and recovery drinks after. I started with the Gatorade chocolate recovery shake and loved it!

However, lemon-lime Gatorade during the run...not so much. The sugary drink made me a little queasy. Suggestions for what to try next? GU Chomps were buy one get one free at the shoe store last week so I picked up a couple of packages. I love my gummy vitamins so maybe some chomps plus water will work?

JillC LI

I personally think it is a good idea to train eating chocolate for any race! (or any reason!) In fact, now that I am running over an hour, I started experimenting with hydrating while I run and recovery drinks after. I started with the Gatorade chocolate recovery shake and loved it!

However, lemon-lime Gatorade during the run...not so much. The sugary drink made me a little queasy. Suggestions for what to try next? GU Chomps were buy one get one free at the shoe store last week so I picked up a couple of packages. I love my gummy vitamins so maybe some chomps plus water will work?

LOL, thanks for the chocolate support. I actually love a nice cold glass of fat-free chocolate milk when I get back from a long run. As for nourishing on the go, I suggest you keep up with the trial-and-error. What works for one person doesn't work for another. For me, I use fruit punch flavored gatorade on runs over an hour long. (I don't care for the lemon-lime flavored drinks.) If I'm going over 10 miles, I will bring along food too. Chocolate Power Gels and Power Bars sat well in my stomach in the past although I despised them. I recently tried the Lemon Gu Chomps and I like them a lot. I'll have them at the Hershey Half next weekend (perhaps to be supplemented by whatever they are offering at the "Chocolate Aid Station!").

Kristia

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to "train" eating chocolate for the Hershey Half Marathon? :D

@Kristia and @fmingo36, how are the knees feeling after some rest?
I skipped my runs this weekend and had a full PT workup done by the hubby. I have had a lot of issues lately with my one leg. Verdict.....mostly overly tight and weak muscles in that leg and hip are what is causing the problems. I also had a rotated vertebrae and a sacral upslip which he fixed. Then throw in some plantar fasciitis and I am done. He gave me a stretching regimen that I am supposed to do 3x a day. He is going to give me strengthening exercises to start tomorrow. I already feel better but haven't run yet to test it. Might give it a day and try for a short run tomorrow.

And training with chocolate is always advised! You should always train for conditions on race day (or weekend) and conditions this weekend call for chocolate!! So far the weather looks good. Sunny and in the low 60's both days!

fmingo36

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to "train" eating chocolate for the Hershey Half Marathon? :D

@Kristia and @fmingo36, how are the knees feeling after some rest?

I bought candy corn white chocolate M&Ms (I know it's NOT a Hershey product--my bad!)--let's see how long they last.

Knees are OK--they crack ALL the time and I have constant soreness--luckily no sharp, stabbing pain.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
20 + miles with a client. Supposed to be 30 mi but he had some tightness going on in his hip, and he has a race this weekend. So, pulled the mileage back a bit.

Wrote training plans for some distance clients and did errands all day on my new fixie. Giving the car a break, and not my legs ;-)

Maryssa*

Ran 7 miles yesterday, longest I've ever done, and woke up with super-bad knee strain =( got some phys therapy done on it this morning so hopefully it stops hurting soon :confused:

ChristaH

I skipped my runs this weekend and had a full PT workup done by the hubby. I have had a lot of issues lately with my one leg. Verdict.....mostly overly tight and weak muscles in that leg and hip are what is causing the problems. I also had a rotated vertebrae and a sacral upslip which he fixed. Then throw in some plantar fasciitis and I am done. He gave me a stretching regimen that I am supposed to do 3x a day. He is going to give me strengthening exercises to start tomorrow. I already feel better but haven't run yet to test it. Might give it a day and try for a short run tomorrow.

Pay attention to your hubby! What a luxury to get such a precise diagnosis at home!

fmingo36

Was supposed to do an hour with weights this evening but I had to get some blood drawn today and the woman that drew my blood did a HORRIBLE job. My arm is swollen and bruised where she inserted the needle!:arghh: I've been icing it all afternoon but I don't think it would be smart for me to be straining my arm muscles.

Last edited:

Kristia

Pay attention to your hubby! What a luxury to get such a precise diagnosis at home!
I know, I am very lucky! Although I am not always the best patient when it comes to keeping up with my exercises but I really have to now because this has been going on too long!!

@fmingo36 - Oh no!! And how are those candy corn M&Ms? I am curious to try them.

JillC LI

I know, I am very lucky! Although I am not always the best patient when it comes to keeping up with my exercises but I really have to now because this has been going on too long!!

@fmingo36 - Oh no!! And how are those candy corn M&Ms? I am curious to try them.

Actually I hated those candy corns but I'm not a white chocolate fan. Only milk chocolate for me!

Coryna, I sympathize about the awful blood draw!

fmingo36

And training with chocolate is always advised! You should always train for conditions on race day (or weekend) and conditions this weekend call for chocolate!! So far the weather looks good. Sunny and in the low 60's both days!

Those are my favorite conditions!:D

@fmingo36 - how are those candy corn M&Ms? I am curious to try them.

I like white chocolate so I do like them but they are much sweeter than a regular M&M. I'd say I'd bring you a few to sample but I don't think they'll make it to the weekend. My girls definitely like them!

ChristaH

@Kristia my PT has me focussing more on strengthening exercises than stretching and I can tell such a difference. I do them twice a week in his office and twice a week at home. So be a good patient!

No more talk of candy corn M&M's!! I made the mistake of buying the carrot cake ones at Easter. Let's just say that none of them made it into Easter baskets!

30 minutes on the elliptical last night. So excited that we will have lows in the 50's later this week! Looking forward to a cool weather fun Friday morning.

Mr mom

Well, I am back on the grid, left because it was too hard to see everyone else's running when I could not, although Nick's facebook posts made me tired just reading them. I have not run in about two weeks, heel still hurts a bit and is a little stiff in the morning but I did 7 miles on it this morning anyway. I will see how it feels tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom