What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
5 miles this morning. This is going to be a crazy month.

- this weekend camping and running 75% of the Cheaha 50K
- next week is a group run and cook out
- Nov 2 is Pinhoti and Ive been asked to be a on a crew and pace somewhere between 50-100. We are working out logistics ... but the local Ultra society that Im involved with is hosting the famous AS14 The Pinnacle. I might try and end my run there so I can par-tay, errr, I mean serve the rest of the night. :D

AUPr8Hd

7 miles this morning. Legs were a little tired after yesterday's workouts and run.

Worst part about running before work is the fact I can't have a post-run beer ;)

JillC LI

5 miles this morning. This is going to be a crazy month.

- this weekend camping and running 75% of the Cheaha 50K
- next week is a group run and cook out
- Nov 2 is Pinhoti and Ive been asked to be a on a crew and pace somewhere between 50-100. We are working out logistics ... but the local Ultra society that Im involved with is hosting the famous AS14 The Pinnacle. I might try and end my run there so I can par-tay, errr, I mean serve the rest of the night. :D

Listen to you . . ."the local Ultra society that I'm involved with" . . . and I remember when you were a mere first time marathoner! :) Good for you!

Well, I am back on the grid, left because it was too hard to see everyone else's running when I could not, although Nick's facebook posts made me tired just reading them. I have not run in about two weeks, heel still hurts a bit and is a little stiff in the morning but I did 7 miles on it this morning anyway. I will see how it feels tomorrow.

Welcome back. Hope the pain goes away soon.

joel_maxwell

Listen to you . . ."the local Ultra society that I'm involved with" . . . and I remember when you were a mere first time marathoner! :) Good for you!
LOL... Thanks Jill. They smelled blood in the water when I said back in May, "Id like to help with this thing called BUTS (Birmingham Ultra Trail Society) yall are starting" at the kick off meeting. So, a few months later, I am the web director for the group and creative director for all events graphically. It is a great group. Only about 15%-25% of the members actually run ultra distance and go do 20+ mile weekends , but that doesnt matter. We are more about getting people off road, we help with local trails and host events and socials (food and beer).

Luckily, I found a few guys I trust to train with. It always seems that one of us is on their game that day and the other 2 are really pushed. @Donald Duck helped push me to get into it as well. We truly have burned up some text the last 2 years. With only a 50k under my belt in the ultra distance, I look to change that in March. Its all a process with me mentally.

LindsayLoves

Long story short - 4 races in 4 weeks does not lead to a healthy finish. My third race was a "fun run" the Firefly 5k in Prospect Park with my husband, sister-in-law, her friend, and her three year old. It was a ton of fun but I got super sick for about 4 days afterwards meaning I did no running between that run and my half on Sunday. I decided to go ahead and do the half even though I knew my body wasn't close to 100% because finishing it would guarantee me entry to both the 2014 NYC Half and 2014 NYC Marathon. It was my slowest half of the year with a 1:58 finish but I am so excited about getting in for those races next year and knowing I can push through on a bad day. Now I am happy to get back to running just for the sake of running, no races until December...

Kristia

Long story short - 4 races in 4 weeks does not lead to a healthy finish. My third race was a "fun run" the Firefly 5k in Prospect Park with my husband, sister-in-law, her friend, and her three year old. It was a ton of fun but I got super sick for about 4 days afterwards meaning I did no running between that run and my half on Sunday. I decided to go ahead and do the half even though I knew my body wasn't close to 100% because finishing it would guarantee me entry to both the 2014 NYC Half and 2014 NYC Marathon. It was my slowest half of the year with a 1:58 finish but I am so excited about getting in for those races next year and knowing I can push through on a bad day. Now I am happy to get back to running just for the sake of running, no races until December...
Great time for a "slow" half!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
LOL... Thanks Jill. They smelled blood in the water when I said back in May, "Id like to help with this thing called BUTS (Birmingham Ultra Trail Society) yall are starting" at the kick off meeting. So, a few months later, I am the web director for the group and creative director for all events graphically. It is a great group. Only about 15%-25% of the members actually run ultra distance and go do 20+ mile weekends , but that doesnt matter. We are more about getting people off road, we help with local trails and host events and socials (food and beer).

Luckily, I found a few guys I trust to train with. It always seems that one of us is on their game that day and the other 2 are really pushed. @Donald Duck helped push me to get into it as well. We truly have burned up some text the last 2 years. With only a 50k under my belt in the ultra distance, I look to change that in March. Its all a process with me mentally.
You are screwed once you finish a 100mi. You won't be the same emotionally, and your grocery bill will be MUCH higher than it is. Have fun Sam ;-)

ChristaH

4 miles tonight in 44:30. Aaaannnddd.....I still hate the new shoes. Not sure what to do about that. I feel guilty returning a second pair.

bethram

Hills this morning, 4.1 miles at 9:02 pace.

I'm contemplating a full, but I think I'd have to change my running mindset. At this point I've run two half marathons, one 15k, a handful of 10ks, and countless 5ks and I've run every inch of every mile with very few exceptions. At this point I'm not sure I could run all 26.2 miles and I would have to change my mindset so that I'm ok with walking part of it. I'd probably go for the Atlanta full in March. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

ChristaH

I'm contemplating a full, someone please convince me one way or another. At this point I've run 2 half marathons, 1 15k, a handful of 10ks, and countless 5ks. I'd probably go for the Atlanta full in March.
If you feel like your body can handle it and you have the time to train, go for it! Several people have told me that once I do a half, I am going to want to do a full, but I am just not seeing that. The toll on my body and my time would be more than I am willing to sacrifice. Hats off to you and everyone else who can do it!

bethram

4 miles tonight in 44:30. Aaaannnddd.....I still hate the new shoes. Not sure what to do about that. I feel guilty returning a second pair.

I've had that problem before and ended up keeping them even though they hurt my feet on long runs. I tried changing the insoles which helped a bit.

dreamfinder

Today was speed work, 5x1000@3:30, with 400 RI plus warmup/cool down.

It was my slowest half of the year with a 1:58 finish but I am so excited about getting in for those races next year and knowing I can push through on a bad day. Now I am happy to get back to running just for the sake of running, no races until December...

That's not a slow half at all.....

Great! She already b*tches about how much I eat. I can hear it now, "Do you know your bill is more than me and the kids combined?".... and your point is:D

My wife already complains about how much I eat but never seem to gain wait. I'd hate to see how much I would have to pack away if I started putting on the miles like you guys.... Although I do find veggies and grains to be way cheaper than the meat she buys, so I might still be cheaper. = p

fmingo36

An hour of yoga/pilates last night.
This week was "launch" at the gym which is when they bringing new material for us to do in class. I was so disappointed in the material. I really like my instructor and look forward to the class every week but it's going to be a long 6 weeks (before they can change the routines) with this current release of material. BLAH!

joel_maxwell

My wife already complains about how much I eat but never seem to gain wait. I'd hate to see how much I would have to pack away if I started putting on the miles like you guys.... Although I do find veggies and grains to be way cheaper than the meat she buys, so I might still be cheaper. = p
Luckily, I eat a lot of cheap carbs like potatoes, crackers etc. For fruits, I wore out banana's so bad in the past, I still cant eat them. I eat about 30 grapes a day, 2 hand fulls of spinach, green beans and lentils. Then I eat whatever the family eats for dinner which is always decently healthy.

JillC LI

I'm contemplating a full, but I think I'd have to change my running mindset. At this point I've run two half marathons, one 15k, a handful of 10ks, and countless 5ks and I've run every inch of every mile with very few exceptions. At this point I'm not sure I could run all 26.2 miles and I would have to change my mindset so that I'm ok with walking part of it. I'd probably go for the Atlanta full in March. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the run-walk method, but why do you automatically assume you wouldn't be able to run the whole way? What if you slowed your pace and built up the mileage gradually to avoid injury? As I've said to a lot of people over the years, if *I* can run a marathon the whole way without stopping (albeit slow and steady), they can too. It's all about making the time to train sufficiently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom