What did you do?

Mr mom

Back from Disney! As expected....I did not run. It was so hot and disgustingly humid. The real problem was that we were trying to do morning EMH and staying out somewhat late. I did walk the trail a little this morning but didn't have enough time to run and get cleaned up before checking out. Back to the grind this week! I am not sure if I am just spoiled because the past couple times that we have gone have been off times or what, but WDW was crazy crowded. I have been there in the summer months before but this time was by far the busiest that I have ever seen it. Trip report to come soon!

I always say I will run when I am down there but never seem to fit it in. I hate august down there, we did that 2 years ago and I won't do august again.

Mr mom

No runs last week, spent the whole week working on the house, my body hurts worse than if I was running but I hope to fit in some short runs in the mornings before I do exterior reno work. plus still working. So I figure that will help beat the snot out of me to be sure.

a2grafix

Ran my second consecutive 5K in the past 24 hours in Memphis, this time finishing in 29:23 at the 4th Annual Breakaway (Running) Bardog 5K. The tavern is celebrating its fifth anniversary downtown and has thrown a big block party each year to celebrate. Proceeds benefited the children of St. Jude, which is 8 blocks north of the bar-tavern.

Memphis is still cool, comfortable. Woke up to 66F and foggy-ish conditions. Humidity is back but breeze still coming from the north. Run time temp was 70F. Very unseasonably cool for mid-August in Memphis. Can't complain. Normally it's already 85F, sticky and hot Sunday mornings in Memphis.Sun finally broke through around noon, burning off the fog.

Pretty much a flat course, most of it on the bluff, then down a hill to along the Mississippi River. Right around 3 miles had to run up an incline to the finish line. I'm used to it. After running 31:58 in the Elvis Presley 5K at Graceland Saturday, thought I would run a little slower. My music sounded I passed the 30-minute mark, but found out I was below 30. Afterparty free beer, free sliders, free pulled pork, free jambalaya. Happy Birthday Bardog! Run. Pant. Drink.

Next up - Disneyland Half in Anaheim Labor Day weekend. Bring it.

2013-08-18_09-18-05_391.jpg

2013-08-18_09-33-26_588.jpg

2013-08-18_09-56-09_931.jpg

2013-08-18_11-05-26_766.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Busy weekend, couldnt post.

12 miles on trails Saturday. I lead a group of 10 people for about 10 of those miles. Pace was great... and too fast for some, but it was the first time all summer I felt good. So I flew. We always checked up at trail heads and waited on people, so the overall time was slow, but it was a great day to say the least. Good climbing, but nothing crazy.

Off yesterday and running tonight.

fmingo36

Back from a fun week in Penn Dutch Country with the family. Did manage a 3.5 mile run in the very hilly Amish countryside. Absolutely beautiful area & good training for the Hershey 1/2 marathon. Got in another 2 miles on the TM at the hotel in Gettysburg plus ALOT of walking. And yesterday was my 1 1/2 hrs of yoga. I was hoping to get in some miles this weekend as the weather was perfect but I think I pulled something in my back last week when we were camping and I'm in some pain so I didn't want to push it.

Funny story--as we were driving to get to the campground, we saw many Amish families in horse & buggies. My husband being a wise guy says to me "you know what I've never seen?...An Amish jogger." We both kind of chuckle and that's the end of it. But the next day, we are driving back to the campground from a local store and we saw an Amish guy jogging (in full Amish clothing but had sneakers on)--we both freaked out and started screaming---AN AMISH JOGGER!!!. It was hysterical.

Texas84

Monday is a day off from running. Everyone on this page gets a Like. :D

I have the Robins AFB half this weekend and Higdon has me doing 3-2-2? o_O Taper, I guess. I don't have a 2-mile course.

Kristia

Back from a fun week in Penn Dutch Country with the family. Did manage a 3.5 mile run in the very hilly Amish countryside. Absolutely beautiful area & good training for the Hershey 1/2 marathon. Got in another 2 miles on the TM at the hotel in Gettysburg plus ALOT of walking. And yesterday was my 1 1/2 hrs of yoga. I was hoping to get in some miles this weekend as the weather was perfect but I think I pulled something in my back last week when we were camping and I'm in some pain so I didn't want to push it.

Funny story--as we were driving to get to the campground, we saw many Amish families in horse & buggies. My husband being a wise guy says to me "you know what I've never seen?...An Amish jogger." We both kind of chuckle and that's the end of it. But the next day, we are driving back to the campground from a local store and we saw an Amish guy jogging (in full Amish clothing but had sneakers on)--we both freaked out and started screaming---AN AMISH JOGGER!!!. It was hysterical.

I just booked our room for Hershey. We were going to stay where we did last year (Whiterose) but they upped it to a 2 night minimum for this year! Um...no thanks! Too bad because it was family owned/run and the lady was so nice. Going with the Hojo instead.

JillC LI

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you had fun. There was actually a long article in an issue of RunnerS World Magazine about 6-8 months ago about Amish runners! I'll bet you could find it on their web site. It was fascinating. Some of them are really fast - perhaps because of all the physical labor they do on their farms.

I just booked our room for Hershey. We were going to stay where we did last year (Whiterose) but they upped it to a 2 night minimum for this year! Um...no thanks! Too bad because it was family owned/run and the lady was so nice. Going with the Hojo instead.

We're staying one night at the Lodge. Convenience and all. I'll have to take the shuttle to the race since my hubby and kids will probably still be sleeping when I leave. :)

Kristia

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you had fun. There was actually a long article in an issue of RunnerS World Magazine about 6-8 months ago about Amish runners! I'll bet you could find it on their web site. It was fascinating. Some of them are really fast - perhaps because of all the physical labor they do on their farms.

We're staying one night at the Lodge. Convenience and all. I'll have to take the shuttle to the race since my hubby and kids will probably still be sleeping when I leave. :)

Would love to stay in the Lodge. Looks super nice! We will hardly be in the room though and just need a place to crash since we are both running. One thing about the Whiterose that I liked was even though check out was at 11 am, I wasn't so sure the roads would be open to get back to the room in time to check out. We ran by the hotel during the race lol! The lady was so nice and said no worries, as long as we got back as soon as we could. Not sure the Hojo would be that forgiving. Turned out it was fine and we made it back just before 11!

JillC LI

We ran by the hotel during the race lol! The lady was so nice and said no worries, as long as we got back as soon as we could. Not sure the Hojo would be that forgiving. Turned out it was fine and we made it back just before 11!

That's a riot! I was wondering myself about check-out time and whether I would be able to shower somewhere after the race. I think my family would sooner tie me to the roof of the car than let me drive all the way home in the car with them unshowered!

fmingo36

Still haven't booked our room yet. On my to-do list!
We may just Priceline it and take our chance. We've been getting pretty good deals and nice hotels by using Priceline.

Mr mom

This is too cool, no amish folks where I live, we do have a buddhist monastery somewhere but I have yet to see it, lol. I would love to see Gettysburg too. I am a huge history buff and the American civil war is one of my interests.

JillC LI

Ran 4.5 miles while DD joined me on her bike. For me it was one of the most miserable runs in ages. Legs felt like dead weight the whole time but I muddled through. Wasn't even terribly hot. Ah well, one of those days.

Kristia

Ran 4.5 miles while DD joined me on her bike. For me it was one of the most miserable runs in ages. Legs felt like dead weight the whole time but I muddled through. Wasn't even terribly hot. Ah well, one of those days.
I hate those kind of runs! Hope you have a better one next time out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom