What did you do?

a2grafix

About 3.50 miles on my normal route downtown, but tried to squeeze in a run before work. I work swing shift, so I ran during the noon hour. Mid-80s with moderate humidity. Not too bad. Ran it in about 40 minutes. Relaxing noontime run. Only bad part if that I had less than an hour to cool down and get to work. Think I am running or getting ready Saturday with my Air Guard coworkers for out September physical fitness test - 1.5 mile run, waist measurement, and as many pushups and sit ups you can do in a minute.

After Labor Day weekend's Disneyland Half, I think I have the run down.

Mr mom

Absolutely Jill. As others have said, im in better shape now than I have ever been my entire life. I played HS sports and went through many summers of conditioning, so I might not beat my 18 year old self in some ways, but I could crush that person in more ways. Actually, it wouldnt be hard to crush a 18 year old, 130 pound version of myself. Although, my last weight lifting max's at that weight at 18 years old were 220lb on bench, 230lb power cleans, and 325 on squats. Yeh, pretty stupid for someone that small to lift that much on squats, but nobody told me to quit. I couldn't and wouldn't want to do that now.

Lol, I was 125 when I was 18 and I used to be able to bench about 190 but worked out with an average of about 150 and yeah it was stupid, how I did not kill myself was amazing. an hour and a half workout plus soccer practice and a 5k run was my usual, no wonder I was so skinny. University dining halls and the discovery of binge beer weekends destroyed any good I did myself and took care of the skinny, lol

Texas84

Think I am running or getting ready Saturday with my Air Guard coworkers for out September physical fitness test - 1.5 mile run, waist measurement, and as many pushups and sit ups you can do in a minute.

After Labor Day weekend's Disneyland Half, I think I have the run down.

A co-worker told me he had to do 1.5 miles in 10 minutes when he was in. Is that still true? I only had to run a mile (a long, long time ago) but I don't remember what the time requirement was. They were just stepping up the PT when I got out. It was kind of a joke before then.

My Dad was about a year from retirement and he just had to walk a lap around the track for his test.

Texas84

9 miles this morning, 4.5 downhill, 4.5 uphill. Only a 130 ft change though. 66F at start, 83F at finish. Summer has finally arrived in middle Georgia. Struggled big time at the end but my time was OK. I'm liking this new route. Lots of runners, walkers and bikers out. No traffic, geese or loose dogs to deal with.

Got back to the high school where I was parked and a father and son were flying remote control planes. Very cool. I stayed and watched for a few minutes. Looked like one was a WWII F6F Hellcat. They were doing immelmanns and stalls and perfect landings. Fun to watch. Also saw a hang glider in the distance. Not sure how that was working. Pulled by a pickup I guess.

bethram

I didn't run this morning, but I had such a bad attitude this afternoon I went for a run. It was about 15 degrees warmer than when I usually run in the morning so I only went 1.7 miles then walked for a total of 2.4 miles. Not the best, but better than not doing anything.

a2grafix

A co-worker told me he had to do 1.5 miles in 10 minutes when he was in. Is that still true? I only had to run a mile (a long, long time ago) but I don't remember what the time requirement was. They were just stepping up the PT when I got out. It was kind of a joke before then.

My Dad was about a year from retirement and he just had to walk a lap around the track for his test.

Sort of true, standards go by age groups and either male or female. I'm 43 and lumped in the 40-49 age group and my max time to run 1.5 miles is 14:52. Last time I ran 1.5 miles, and this was way before I started running 5ks on a regular basis - was like 12:30.

Yes, the previous Air Force Fitness Exams were jokes back then. Nowadays, regardless of age or gender you must pass four key composites - max push ups and sit ups in a minute, waist measurement (39 inches or below for men and 35.5 inches for women REGARDLESS OF AGE), and 1.5 mile run in allotted or below time. Everything is based on 100 point scale. Anyone over 90 is exceptional. I scored an 86.2 last year.

If you do not pass any one of the four standards you do not pass the exam. I am seeing, unfortunately, Air Guard coworkers of mine, younger than me by 20 years, fail the exam for not running in the allotted time. My normal 5K pace has been 9:30-10 per mile or long 4-5-6-7 mile runs of 10:00-10:30 per mile.

USAF 2013 fitness test requirements: http://www.afpc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110804-054.pdf

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Wait, 7 miles and THEN pool time? Yikes. Got another Tri coming up?
No, nothing on the radar. Just trying to stay in Tri shape as far as the pool goes. Oh wait... LOL, I went to swim with my kids today. I swim on Fridays. I would have swam today, however, Im working with my 5 yo to finalize her swimming. I think we may see if she wants to Tri next year.;)
8 miles this morning on a closed to cars Park Ave as part of NYCs Summer Streets. Doing a training run through the middle of the city - not on crowded sidewalks, puts a huge smile on my face every time. Can't wait for my 10 miler there in two weeks.
Kill that 10 miler!
I didn't run this morning, but I had such a bad attitude this afternoon I went for a run. It was about 15 degrees warmer than when I usually run in the morning so I only went 1.7 miles then walked for a total of 2.4 miles. Not the best, but better than not doing anything.
Hope it turned your day around.
I ran my 3rd Warrior Dash with people from my work today. The fun part was I got to run with my father in his first ever organized race. It was a great experience :)
That is cool Brad. I wish my dad would be in shape enough to do something like I do with me. I cant blame him for wanting to just chill in life. He went strong in the military for years.
Rested my sore hip today. I will try to run in the morning, but it is still pretty stiff so I may give it another day of rest and try Monday.
@bethram I hope your post-exercise endorphins improved your attitude!
Take it slow. Dont go by my examples as of late and God knows dont by Nicks. :D If your body is telling you something, listen. Hope it gets better soon.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
That is cool Brad. I wish my dad would be in shape enough to do something like I do with me. I cant blame him for wanting to just chill in life. He went strong in the military for years.

Funny thing is that he's sorta the reason I got involved in running in the first place. 8 years ago he had a heart attack. He was a healthy guy before, maybe a few pounds over weight. He started working out, dropped almost 30 pounds, and shows almost no sign of the heart attack. Most of his heart attack was due to heart issues running through our family, but he decided to take the bull by the horns.

A few years after, I decided to do the same thing. I got checked out by my Dr., who advised me that my heart was good, but that I could stand to lose a few pounds. I looked into working out, and I chose running because it was something that I thought would be simple. I fell in love with it, and the rest is history. Today was the first day that we had ever run together. He's battling some plantar fasciitis right now, but gutted it out because I think we both knew that today was the day that it all came full circle. Running the course with him was an absolute blast, as we had never done anything like this before. We work together in corrections, and have had to respond to calls of all nature together, but this was different. This was just about us. We separated out from our bigger group and left most of them in our dust.

I'm not emotional about it - but I will say this. Today was a cool day.

Mr mom

I have been seriously slacking lately on the running. Life is really getting in the way! I hadn't been running in over a week and missed my long run last weekend. Managed to get out today and do 12.5 slow slow slow miles.

Been having similar problems but this past week managed a full week, hoping for the same this week, time will tell

Kristia

Been having similar problems but this past week managed a full week, hoping for the same this week, time will tell
We have been remodeling the bathroom and trying to get it down before we leave for vacation. Added to that, trying to get the rest of the house in order for the house/animal sitter and all the normal life things has left little time for running. Hopefully after we get back from Disney we will be able to get back to a more normal routine!

bethram

@joel_maxwell and @ChristaH, yes, the run helped my attitude immensely and I had a much better afternoon.

I ran my 3rd Warrior Dash with people from my work today. The fun part was I got to run with my father in his first ever organized race. It was a great experience :)

I love Warrior Dash! I've run it three times as well. That's awesome that you ran it with your dad, sounds like you had a great experience.

JillC LI

Back from 7 miles. Left later than I should have but the humidity was low even though it was hot. Chugged ice cold fat free chocolate milk when I got home. Heading to the pool with the kids soon (if they'd get their sorry petuties out of bed already! Teens!).

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
1 mile in the pool today. It was crowded. Every lane had 2 people. Great to see people using the lanes for lap swimming. Upper 90's today too. Pool was warm. Yuck.

I just heard today about this running in the pool thing. We have a small pool in our building that is about 20 x 20 feet. Do you think this would be adaquate for running? Its about 3 1/2 feet deep the entire thing. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom