What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Yes, but Nick doesn't treat pain...he ignores it! :)
Yup! Like that annoying 'friend' from college that always wants to get together but you never really had much in common and were never really friends, but they keep nagging you to go out, and you really really don't want to deal with it or return their calls...kinda like that :D

Kristia

It is amazing what a change in weather can do. Tonight was about 10 degrees cooler and we finally had a 15% drop in the humidity level. Beautiful 7 mile run tonight. I think I went out a little fast because I felt so good. Had a faster first half than second but much better pace than any of our runs this month. Avg pace 11:01. Not fast by any means but better than anything I have done lately!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I just 'Liked' your post for support. I really think you're nuts. ;)
Thanks. I like new challenges.

Yup! Like that annoying 'friend' from college that always wants to get together but you never really had much in common and were never really friends, but they keep nagging you to go out, and you really really don't want to deal with it or return their calls...kinda like that :D
Everyone has one. I have one. Calls and talks about himself for 30 minutes then gives me the "So, what up?". I quit answering his calls in 2002. He still calls.

No kidding.

a2grafix

Took a week off of not running after I strained my left calf muscle. Decided to test my leg Wednesday for a little under 4 miles around lunchtime and it felt okay for the first mile. Then I looked away, thought of something as I was approaching a turn and felt a twinge, a zip, and felt some slight discomfort. Kept on running and still completed just under 4 miles in 40 minutes or so.

Going for another monthly massage Thursday. Last time I went for a massage the technician was able to fix the problem. Maybe the therapist will do the same and get my lower left leg up to par.

bethram

No headache this morning so I had a good run considering the humidity is at 95% this morning. Went 4.3 miles at 9:00 pace and almost made DH late for work :oops: I forgot to check what time I left and thought I had time for last .5 mile loop, DH texted just before I stopped running to find out where I was.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Bike day today a little off schedule, I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off to help watch the kid while my wife has a few doctors appointments, so I am swapping bike/run days. Notch up another 18.5 cycling miles. And of course, I just decided, after I did all of it, that I'm going to work from home tomorrow morning, so I could have run today and gone for a long ride in the morning tomorrow, but oh well, what's done is done.

I'm having a bit of a training dilemma. This fall is going to be my first ever 1/2 marathon. I'm running it with my father, who's an avid runner (much more-so than me). This 1/2 will be the farthest I've ever run in my life. In fact, last weekend when I went just under 10 miles is the farthest I've ever run in my life. I'm thinking my father will likely run the 1/2 (he's done it before) somewhere in the 2:15 hour timeframe, and I want to run it with him.

But then there is the competitive side of me that KNOWS I could get sub-2 hour if I trained for it. I had signed up for a sub-2 training program (free) and had just started that. I kind of dont like the fact that there are some 15 and 16 mile runs in there, as a 1st timer I kind of wanted the half to be my "longest run ever".

I'm thinking I just bag the sub-2 plan, do a beginner one, run with my father here as a special moment, and then next year, I do a local 1/2 marathon and try to improve my time for that one.

Yup, I think I just decided that. I'm glad we all had this talk :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Bike day today a little off schedule, I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off to help watch the kid while my wife has a few doctors appointments, so I am swapping bike/run days. Notch up another 18.5 cycling miles. And of course, I just decided, after I did all of it, that I'm going to work from home tomorrow morning, so I could have run today and gone for a long ride in the morning tomorrow, but oh well, what's done is done.

I'm having a bit of a training dilemma. This fall is going to be my first ever 1/2 marathon. I'm running it with my father, who's an avid runner (much more-so than me). This 1/2 will be the farthest I've ever run in my life. In fact, last weekend when I went just under 10 miles is the farthest I've ever run in my life. I'm thinking my father will likely run the 1/2 (he's done it before) somewhere in the 2:15 hour timeframe, and I want to run it with him.

But then there is the competitive side of me that KNOWS I could get sub-2 hour if I trained for it. I had signed up for a sub-2 training program (free) and had just started that. I kind of dont like the fact that there are some 15 and 16 mile runs in there, as a 1st timer I kind of wanted the half to be my "longest run ever".

I'm thinking I just bag the sub-2 plan, do a beginner one, run with my father here as a special moment, and then next year, I do a local 1/2 marathon and try to improve my time for that one.

Don't be intimidated by the distance. You won't get any better or learn anything if you don't rip youself out of the comfort zone. Run that 1/2 with your pops, but kick your own in your training. Good luck!

Banzai

The last few runs have been really tough. I had to power through a simple 2 miles each time. At least I'm getting some work in. I'm anxious for the acclimation to be farther along. Been back in Bogota for slightly more than two weeks so I'm expecting things to start picking up.

On another note, I love my new Timex Run Trainer 2. It does everything I hoped and its easy to read. It says my apartment is at 8480 feet.

dreamfinder

Some of the books that include training plans have test runs to see if you should be able to actually hit that pace at your current fitness level. Usually there are both long and short runs to use as the test. Check one of those out, and see if its somewhat realistic. If you do the test run and it says 2ish, then you may be able to push it. But if the test run indicate a 2:45, then you would be safer off in the long run to shoot for that 2:45. Yeah, it may suck that you can't run with your dad, but pushing too hard initially may end up causing damage that could prevent you from running it at all. After you have a few more miles under your belt and have a better idea of your limitations, then you can do like @Donald Duck does, and just ignore them and smash right through to the other side. But unless you are comfortable with your fitness levels, I would think the risk of injury is too great. You may have some leeway if you put massive miles on the bike, but it is a somewhat different set of muscles in use so not apples to oranges. As Nick said though, don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but it needs to be done within reason. Current PR is a 6:00 mile, sure, 5:45 is a possible and admirable goal. But going from a 6:00 mile to a 4:00 mile without setting any goalposts in between is lunacy.

JillC LI

As a parent who is just waiting for her son to be old enough to run a half marathon with me, I have to vote for running it a bit slower than you could otherwise so you can enjoy it with your dad. It may be the one time you will ever run that distance that slow to enjoy the experience with him. It's your first Half and there will be plenty of time in the future to train harder, speed up the pace, and set a sub-2 hour PR. Make a memory with your dad.

It is amazing what a change in weather can do!

I agree. Went out to do 4 miles this morning, and it was in the mid 60s with low humidity. I was nearly in shock. Really enjoyed running outdoors today for the first time in weeks, even though it was speed work (1/3 intervals). I think I'm going to get up extra early tomorrow to try to squeeze in 8 miles before work while the weather is still so comfortable. (And then I won't feel guilty when I have a big bowl of fries with dinner at the restaurant where we're meeting friends! :D )

bethram

I'd run with your dad!

I'm going to try to put my competitive nature aside for the ToT and run it with my husband, encourage him (he runs but doesn't enjoy it like I do), enjoy the race, and stop for some character pics. I'm normally the type to push myself at races and see if I can set a PR, but I'm really going to try to slow it down and enjoy it with DH. That said, I'm still going to submit my 10k from last week because it was a better pace/time than the 15k I had originally submitted when I registered :rolleyes:

LindsayLoves

Under 70 degrees at 3:30pm?!?!?! HOORAY! I was able to put in just over 5 miles @ 8:50/mile.

I'd run with your dad!

I'm going to try to put my competitive nature aside for the ToT and run it with my husband, encourage him (he runs but doesn't enjoy it like I do), enjoy the race, and stop for some character pics. I'm normally the type to push myself at races and see if I can set a PR, but I'm really going to try to slow it down and enjoy it with DH. That said, I'm still going to submit my 10k from last week because it was a better pace/time than the 15k I had originally submitted when I registered :rolleyes:

I ran half of the WDW marathon this past year with my brother. Around mile 13 he told me to leave him and enjoy the rest of my race (I had a negative split my second half of the race) . It was tough to run at his pace but really worthwhile to stop for those character photos together. Overall it was a great experience and I am glad we stuck together for so long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom