What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Love it! If it doesn't kick your or doesn't have the potential to destroy your body, it's not worth doing ;)
Enjoy the pain, I wish it were a hundy!
I really cant decide what i want to do. I have plans to go preview 2 sections of the course in December. However, I cant decide if I want to preview Blue Hell or wait for the moment. One one hand, it is always good to know what you are about to face, however, if I went to preview, it wouldnt be at mile 27, in February after crossing 7 creeks most likely. So, Ill think about this one.

Yes, good times and cant wait for this one.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I really cant decide what i want to do. I have plans to go preview 2 sections of the course in December. However, I cant decide if I want to preview Blue Hell or wait for the moment. One one hand, it is always good to know what you are about to face, however, if I went to preview, it wouldnt be at mile 27, in February after crossing 7 creeks most likely. So, Ill think about this one.

Yes, good times and cant wait for this one.
Honestly? Scope it out. You're just stepping into the ultra scene and you should take advantage of every opportunity. One of the biggest reasons for an ultra DNF as a newcomer to the distance is being surprised with something that wasn't in the plan. Everything goes out the window with those distances. The body and mind react completely differently than when running a marathon. Seeing that freakin' staircase only at the halfway point could be a spirit breaker, and trust me, they dig deep. Anything can go wrong or deviate from your plan, but it's good to have experience to get you through those obstacles.

ejsanta13

NY/NJ have been no better with this heat wave. I was just advised that at my daughter's camp tomorrow, they changed the theme of the day from Western Day with pony rides to Water Carnival Day with water bouncies and slip and slides! I wonder if I could get my company to do something similar! LOL. Enjoy the race. Got any fun plans in NYC? Show? Restaurant? Sight-seeing? You could do a "Shark" tour of the harbor and get nice and wet and keep cool.

The "race" was fun. Would have been better w/ a group of friends, but fun none the less. Great time in NYC on Sat, though extremely HOT!!! Took the SI Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, hit Toys R Us for the ferris wheel, FAO Schwartz, American Girl & Dylans Candy Bar. Dinner @ Nizza on 9th Ave. Pretty decent Italian. Anyone interested in a strictly fun run, the Color Me Rad show is a good one and they do them throughout the country. Music pumping, roaring crowds and LOTS of Color.

ejsanta13

Have fun at the Color Me Rad run. I did the one in Holmdel, NJ in May. I hope they get the mileage right this time; they gypped us a few tenths of a mile. But GOOD SWAG! The race is a lot of fun and no pressure since it's not a timed race.
It's also been brutally hot in NJ as well. We are supposed to get extremely hot on Saturday, then have some thunderstorms, and finally a cool down come Sunday.

Don't know about the distance. May have been a bit short based on what I thought my time was, but no big deal. Not a bad SWAG bag and it def cooled off on Sun as Sat was rediculous (temp still reading 94 @ 4pm).

joel_maxwell

Honestly? Scope it out. You're just stepping into the ultra scene and you should take advantage of every opportunity. One of the biggest reasons for an ultra DNF as a newcomer to the distance is being surprised with something that wasn't in the plan. Everything goes out the window with those distances. The body and mind react completely differently than when running a marathon. Seeing that freakin' staircase only at the halfway point could be a spirit breaker, and trust me, they dig deep. Anything can go wrong or deviate from your plan, but it's good to have experience to get you through those obstacles.
Then it is done. We had planned on going for a late Friday afternoon run from the start (out n back) 8 miles total and then camp, get up the next morning and run from the finish out n back of about 20 total. Ill make sure we do Blue Hell. You are right, I need to get on that course as much as I can.

Until December, Ill keep doing my step ups with increasing weight while doing long runs on the terrain of the Green Connector (closest thing to practice on) until then.

Thanks for the info and guidance @Donald Duck ... as always.

JillC LI

I'm in the Boston area and man you were brave getting out there on Saturday. Heat index of 105 in some areas!

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity! ;) It was not pleasant but we tried to make the most of it since we were "on vacation."

Fenway is such a great place to watch a game. Of course, I'm a Boston girl at heart.:D

Don't worry, we rooted for the "right" team.

My buddy that I run with was giving me a preview of the Cheaha 50K and said that there is so much climbing that you cant "run" it. It is vertical climbing. I was told the last mile is so tough, it took him 22 minutes to do it, and this guy can move. Getting ready the best way I can.

EDIT: My buddy just emailed me this and said to print it, tape it up someplace to not forget what Im preparing for. Blue Hell. Mile 27 to 28 climbing to the tallest point in Alabama.

Talk about how a picture says a thousand words!

The "race" was fun. Would have been better w/ a group of friends, but fun none the less. Great time in NYC on Sat, though extremely HOT!!! Took the SI Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, hit Toys R Us for the ferris wheel, FAO Schwartz, American Girl & Dylans Candy Bar. Dinner @ Nizza on 9th Ave. Pretty decent Italian. Anyone interested in a strictly fun run, the Color Me Rad show is a good one and they do them throughout the country. Music pumping, roaring crowds and LOTS of Color.

Sounds like fun and glad you chose a lot of indoor activities in the heat Saturday. Next time try Carmine's for the best family style Italian food in NYC.

As for me, 3.5 miles last night. Wasn't sure I was in the mood so I forced myself to put my running clothes on knowing full well that once they were on, there was no way I wouldn't actually run.

So what's the big news Nick?!

joel_maxwell

Excited and honored to be the latest VESPA powered athlete! I join the ranks of some of the best ultrarunners in the world; Jon Olsen, Tim Olsen, Mike Morton...unreal.
http://www.vespapower.com/
Sweet buddy. Congrats. I had a feeling.... but didnt want to jinx it. When you get on that front loop on their website, let me know and screen grab it and post in here for you. You deserve it.

Kristia

@Donald Duck - Congratulations! Very exciting!

I did a bit over 8.5 miles on my bike today. Cooler temps than the past week. Humidity was still a little on the high side but it is starting to come down. The next couple days should make for some nice running days. :)

fmingo36

I did a bit over 8.5 miles on my bike today. Cooler temps than the past week. Humidity was still a little on the high side but it is starting to come down. The next couple days should make for some nice running days. :)

Yes--looking forward to the weather the next few days. Hoping to get a run or two in before my trip to Washington, DC for my yoga training. Hoping to get a run in while in DC as well.

dreamfinder

My buddy that I run with was giving me a preview of the Cheaha 50K and said that there is so much climbing that you cant "run" it. It is vertical climbing. I was told the last mile is so tough, it took him 22 minutes to do it, and this guy can move. Getting ready the best way I can.

That looks like a fun climb. Not so much a run, but a climb for sure.

Excited and honored to be the latest VESPA powered athlete! I join the ranks of some of the best ultrarunners in the world; Jon Olsen, Tim Olsen, Mike Morton...unreal.
http://www.vespapower.com/

Congrats! Took me a minute to figure out why the heck an Italian Scooter company would be sponsoring an ultra runner........

Today was speed, 4x1/2mi@2:47 with 2min RI plus warmup/cool down then some quick core afterwards.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, this morning I had my first collision between my normal bike-commute day and my training plan. So, I've got my 3.6 mile run and my 9.25 mile bike in this morning, with another 9.25 home this afternoon. My morning bike ride was s.l.o.w...
I'm going to have to toy with this a little as the weeks go along. Just getting the time to do both before work might turn into a fun challenge later in the training plan once the milage kicks up. Thankfully, flexible time at work is a big help here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom