What did you do?

Mr mom

My rib seems to be healed ( fingers crossed) No pain at all this morning so I felt great and put down 11.2 miles at about an 8 minute pace, I was killing it but with about a mile to go I got a stitch which slowed me slightly. Still faster and farther than I have run since returning from Florida. Too much time off feels great but makes getting back on track brutal. Hopefully no more woodpile injuries.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Good luck tomorrow @joel_maxwell!
THANKS!
Good Luck Joel! Kick some A! @joel_maxwell
Thank You!

go Joel Go....
Woot Woot.

No one is sending us Joel updates? ;)

Chick-fil-a Series 5K today. Thought I could PR on the flat course but didn't. Oh well. Garmin said 3.2 miles. Two more 5Ks and the season is over here.

Also decided to play the game and submitted a 10K time to TrackShack for Disneyland.
Sorry, off the grid for the weekend.

I was going to post report last night, but I was on the phone with @Donald Duck last night instead. :D So, here goes.

JillC LI

Congrats on that race time Kristi! Getting under 30 for a 5K is an exciting accomplishment. Too bad Dan didn't win the flight.

Coryna, nice job building up from scratch there. It's tough work.

Joel, can't wait to hear the race report.

Mr. Mom (what is your name?), glad the rib's healing up.

Imagination 30, great pace!

Beth, bike rides sound fun. Sounds like you have some good workouts planned for the summer.

As for me, 7 miles yesterday at 10:01 pace. Hot but not too humid, so I can't complaint. Then I did a lot of gardening including planting our new cherry tree with my hubby. I can't wait for it to bear fruit!

joel_maxwell

Buster Britton Triathlon Report. Woke at 4:45 with a chest cold laying over from Thursday and Friday. Looked at my phone while eating 2 bowls of grits and it was 66 and 100% humidity. Oh well, lets rock this.

Got to Oak Mtn and first thing is to get bike in order at my car. Pumped tires up and everything was just wet from the humidity. It was foggy and damp. Walked to transition to set my bike up. It was so wet outside, My printed number on my bike sticker slid off the sticker. So, I got a sharpie and colored it back on. Yep, not good for a first Tri anxiety, but no biggie. Got to transition, set up my bike and realized, you have about 12 inches wide and 2 feet back off you front tire to put all your gear. Sounds like a lot of space, but with handle bars and other athletes, it was crammed to say the least. Going in, I was concerned mostly about the bike (because of the age and weight of it), not so much the swim, and the run was my bread and butter. My mentor going into this, Hunter, actually got 1 bib number off me. What are the odds. So, I got to enter the water with him and talk to him leading up to the start.

Its go time. Lets get this one with.
[SWIM] 400 yards. Nothing compared to the yardage I have been doing in the pool. Well, one thing I didnt anticipate was dark water. Yes, it was unnerving. I got in the water, it was slightly cold due to all the rain, and my HR went through the roof. I could tell it was around 180. No kidding. I put my face in the water and started to do my thing and I couldnt hold my breath for more than 1 stroke. So, what happens next, panic. You think, "Wait, what is going on. I trained for this. I feel like I have never swam before." Then the mental part sets in. You continue to try to regain composer, put your face in the dark water and swim. Nope, just wouldnt happen. I tried to relax and reset, but with fog on the water, swimmers passing you and the urgency of moving forward, I side stoked the rest of the way. I actually saw a few others doing this. Not sure of their situation. When I got out of the water, I was so disappointed. Swimming since September and I felt like I bombed. I estimated 8 min swim, and came in at 9:50. T1 was under way. I ran out of the water and into the T area and started to get ready. When I was entering my row, Hunter was leaving. That really told me how behind I was. I only made 1 big mistake. Put my helmet on before my shirt. 5 seconds maybe. Ran out of T1 really ed off but that helped with the bike.

[BIKE] Im off on the bike. It was a 6.5 mile out, 6.5 back. More climbing on the out then the back. I was getting passed by a lot of people on road and Tri bikes, but I knew that was going to happen. I hung with a group for the most part and kept them within 100 yards. I was digging it on my bike. all 35+lbs of it. Had to make up 1:50. At one point, I was passing dudes on road bikes climbing. I was working my quads like crazy, but it was like I had something to prove. I reached a max speed of 33.5 mph on a down hill and I had it in the 2 fastest gears and I couldnt pedal to make it go faster. I had maxed out the speed per gear ratio. 13 miles.... done. When I came into the last 1/2 mile, there was a turn. Sam and the kids were there cheering me on. My parents got there early when it started.

[RUN] T2 was very fast. Since my cycle shoes were my Hoka's, I put my bike on the rack, ripped my helmet and gloves off, put on my bib and my TAC hat (first thing @Donald Duck noticed) and headed out. It was a 1.5 out, 1.5 back. First mile was up hill. With the humidity and people taking in too much fluids on the cycle, a few decided to relieve themselves of their fluids. Luckily all behind me. I was passing people left and right. I saw my buddy Hunter when I got to mile 1, so considering he had a road bike, and a good head start, I was pleased. I did a 8:04, 8:05 and 6:50 pace.

All in all, wonderful experience. I got a text from Coryna when I got back to the car and I was done. She texted me something of encouragement and I replied TRIATHLETE. The told her my disappointment with the swim. Then @fmingo36 yelled at me for being hard on myself and i was being rediculous. :D I needed that. She is awesome and thank you Coryna.

So what is my goal. I have a used road bike lined up to be purchased, I am going to continue to swim on Fridays and I am going to work on open water, zero visibility swimming. I talked to a few other friends there and they say that have all struggled with it. I have something to prove to myself, so, I shall see you next year Buster Britton. Final times:

Swim: 9:50
T1: 3:41 (little did I know, T1 starts when you exit the water, so the 100 yard run, barefoot, to the T area counts. Not to shabby)
Bike: 51:22 (15mph average)
T2: 1:19 MONEY!
Run: 23:01
Overall: 1:29:10 (I had estimated 1:22:00. That was before I knew the bike course and I thought I would have a road bike for this event. Hunter had a road bike and did the bike portion in 43:22, 8 mins faster. Ill take that)

Now some pics. Yeah, pics.

joel_maxwell

Waiting for the Start. Hunter in front of me.
Buster Britton 1.jpg

Yeah. Muddy brown lake water.
Buster Britton 2.jpg

Reason for this picture being posted, there is an additional 50 yards that you dont see going down to the lake. You can kind of see the lake in the background. So, 3:41 on this transition Im good with.
Buster Britton 3.jpg

Out for the bike. Rocking the Evo Stinsons.
Buster Britton 4.jpg

Ariel484

Great runs @fmingo36 and @imagination30 !

@Kristia - CONGRATS on the sub-30 5K! How's Higdon-3 working out for you and Dan so far?

@Mr mom - glad to hear the rib is feeling better. Great first run back.

@joel_maxwell - overall it sounds like a really good first triathlon. Awesome transition and run times! I have heard that a lot of people panic in the water the first few times, so you are definitely not alone there. Do you have access to an open water are that you could use for practice? I'm not even sure that I would if I were prepping for a triathlon.

-----------------------------------------

I finished my second week of marathon training yesterday (20 miles for the week + 2 days of lifting). Yesterday was my 9-mile long run, which was okay...could have been better if I'd dragged my butt out of bed an hour or so earlier to avoid temps in the low 80s. I don't think I can get away with that any more. Lifting this morning - bumped up a few of my weights and felt pretty good! I'm also doing this plank challenge thing that has you work up to doing a 5-minute plank after 30 days...right now I'm at 45 seconds 7 days in. 5 minutes seems impossible.

This coming week is supposed to be a step-back week but I'm shuffling things around - we're going on vacation in late July (staying at Disney's resort in Hilton Head! :D) and while I plan on running there I don't realistically see myself getting in a 7- and 13-miler, which is what my schedule calls for. So I'm moving this week's runs to the week of vacation. Hopefully I'll keep up with it.

joel_maxwell

@joel_maxwell - overall it sounds like a really good first triathlon. Awesome transition and run times! I have heard that a lot of people panic in the water the first few times, so you are definitely not alone there. Do you have access to an open water are that you could use for practice? I'm not even sure that I would if I were prepping for a triathlon.
Thanks. I do. The same lake we swam in is like bath water 9 months out of the year. Sam agreed to go and swim with me. *always swim with a buddy in dark water she says*

As far as the rest of you jokers, looks like everyone did some good running this weekend. I was off the grid since Friday midday, so I havent had time to reply to everyone's good running, just skim.

Sumrdog

Congratulations on your triathlon @joel_maxwell and I am amazed that anyone would get in that dark water. The idea of it really scares me.

--------------------------------------------------------
I just ran an easy 6.2 miles, in absolutely perfect weather...68 degrees sunshine, no wind or humidity. I haven't started my official marathon training program yet so I am just working on my endurance and strength this month. My 29 week training program starts July 1st :)

Kristia

@Ariel484 - so far so good with Marathon 3 training program, but we have only been at it a week now, so I can't give a great review yet. So far my cross-training portions have just consisted of hauling and throwing hay but I hope to get my bike cleaned up and on the road this week.

@joel_maxwell - Congrats on your first tri finish! Great job! That water would definitely freak me out. I am not a strong swimmer and just the thought of that cold dark water.....:eek: Yikes!

joel_maxwell

Congratulations on your triathlon @joel_maxwell and I am amazed that anyone would get in that dark water. The idea of it really scares me.
Yep. Obviously, it is something to overcme since 100's of others completed it, so here is to next time.

Thanks!

@Ariel484 - so far so good with Marathon 3 training program, but we have only been at it a week now, so I can't give a great review yet. So far my cross-training portions have just consisted of hauling and throwing hay but I hope to get my bike cleaned up and on the road this week.

@joel_maxwell - Congrats on your first tri finish! Great job! That water would definitely freak me out. I am not a strong swimmer and just the thought of that cold dark water.....:eek: Yikes!
LOL, I never thought Id react that way. Never.

fmingo36

@joel_maxwell Way to go! I know how hard you trained for this! I think the water part of the race just goes to show that no matter how hard we train for something, anything can happen and yet you have to persevere to get to the finish line. You did and you should be so proud of your accomplishment!!! I know I am :)

a2grafix

Been kind of quiet from me in these parts for nearly a fortnight. Here's the reason why. Over the course of the week while stationed in Germany for a military training mission, ran a combined 10.2 miles. Hoping to run at least 3-10 miles more before returning to the States. It was 1.7 miles out and back from the training site gate to the wall. Ran a few 1.7 miles and ran two 3.4 miles.

What???!?!?? Yes you read me right. First time EVER running in Europe. How cool is that?

Unfortunately can't make it to Euro Disney. I was hoping for a side trip but the intense military training took precedence. At least I saw Eltz Castle and will be traveling to Paris.

Guten Abend to you all.

joel_maxwell

Love these!
Congratulations Joel - great job!
Thanks. Life is always interesting with this one.

Congratulations @joel_maxwell, great job on your first tri! BTW, Rivers is a cutie!
Thanks Beth.

@joel_maxwell Way to go! I know how hard you trained for this! I think the water part of the race just goes to show that no matter how hard we train for something, anything can happen and yet you have to persevere to get to the finish line. You did and you should be so proud of your accomplishment!!! I know I am :)
This is why I love me some Coryna. Always puts things like this into perspective. Sam said the same thing and followed up with a "Ill go swim with you at the lake so you can overcome it" which made my day. Thanks Coryna.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom