What did you do?

Kristia

Signed up for the Hershey 1/2 Marathon this morning (see you in October @JillC LI & @krista).
Now that I've signed up for a race, training has officially started!

After walking 1 1/2 miles with my daughter's girls scout troops in our local Memorial Day parade, I threw my sneakers on and went for a run. I managed 3.5 miles but it felt like the most alien thing my body has ever done-breathing, pace, movement and placement of my arms... I know it's been 6 months since I went for a "real" run but it was like the first time I ever tried to run. I got home and my legs felt like jelly. (On a good note--No knee or hip pain!!!)
Have to say Nick (@Donald Duck) was on my mind as I went for my run. He is a true inspiration. I can't believe how strong he is. He is GOING to do this. I just know!!!
Yay!! Glad you finally signed up! And yay! for no hip pain.

bethram

Completed a 10k for my first ever race this morning! I was able to run the whole thing with an average of an 11 min/mile. Final time: 1:07:34 plus I finished 3rd overall in my age group. Great way to start the holiday! Here's the bling picture (obviously)- just need to finish it off with some runDisney bling!

Congratulations on your run! We're just up the road from you in Canton.

bethram

Was on my way to a pretty decent time (between 27-30 minutes) during the 2013 Overton Park Memorial Day 3-miler run midtown Memphis this morning. Though started middle of the back, crossed the first mile in 9:30. Not too bad. Overcast, about 72F at race with a slight breeze. High humidity though, but still manageable.

About a mile and a quarter in right before a water station, behind me I hear a big crash. I look behind and see a wheelchair runner and a female runner tangled up. He was on his last lap and about to finish. He said on your left" and she did not hear. She hit a gate bar and collapsed into the wheelchair.

Both were skinned up pretty bad and she was complaining of chest pain. I immediately stopped and turned on a dime from runner to first responder. I tried to treat the wheelchair runner but he said for us to concentrate on the woman.

About 20 minutes after tending to the two injured and waiting for the paramedics to take over, I continued on the course. I ended up running with another runner who I felt needed a wingman, so I slowed down and jogged with her the rest of the way. She was laboring, I was not, but she took the lead and we both finished in 41:something.

Final chute to finish line was lined with American flags, all representing the troops from Memphis and the county who died while in service.

Afterward the race director and emcee called all military veterans to the winners circle in front of the "Doughboy" statue. Me and several other vets from WWII to now all assembled around the "Doughboy." So many runners and volunteers took photos. Pretty sweet.

Not the best 5K outing, but one of the most memorable.

Good for you! Not only for helping out as a first responder, but for running with someone to help her finish.

bethram

We went out on the mountain bike trails this afternoon without the kids :) It was great except that for the first time ever I managed to fall off my bike, and not just once but twice. I've got some beautiful trail rash on my leg and a nice bruise on my palm. Apparently I need better control when unintentionally going really fast down hills with lots of rocks and roots :rolleyes: We did get 7.4 miles in, though.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Signed up for the Hershey 1/2 Marathon this morning (see you in October @JillC LI & @krista).
Now that I've signed up for a race, training has officially started!

After walking 1 1/2 miles with my daughter's girls scout troops in our local Memorial Day parade, I threw my sneakers on and went for a run. I managed 3.5 miles but it felt like the most alien thing my body has ever done-breathing, pace, movement and placement of my arms... I know it's been 6 months since I went for a "real" run but it was like the first time I ever tried to run. I got home and my legs felt like jelly. (On a good note--No knee or hip pain!!!)
Have to say Nick (@Donald Duck) was on my mind as I went for my run. He is a true inspiration. I can't believe how strong he is. He is GOING to do this. I just know!!!
Glad to see you back on the wagon. Hal Higdon always says to sign up for something in the future and always have a race to be thinking about and training for, no matter how far away.

Nice running everyone. Looks like we had a lot of activity over Memorial Day. Very nice.

joel_maxwell

4+ miles yesterday on a fun monday afternoon run in 86 degree heat. Yes, it was fun. Went exploring on some jeep trails, looked down and had a tick on my leg, took a picture of the burned out car (still not sure how it made it up there with the jeep ruts) and got sunburned a little.

Weights this morning. Work continues in preparation for July 27th Hotter than Hell 18 mile trail run and a November's 50k.

Lastly, just wanted to say that I consider @Donald Duck my running mentor. He has shared so much knowledge with me over the last year+, it has really helped my running. He also shared product reviews, shoe and gear reviews. All spot on and I use the products today. After Saturday's 12 mile trail run, I had ZERO soreness. I changed my before, during and after nutrition, and I was amazed at the difference. We did a lot of climbing and I was expecting sore quads, calves and gluts. None. I know some of that is the weight room, but a lot is due to what i was putting into my body.

Happy Tuesday.

Ariel484

Congrats! I like, except for the unfortunate RiteAid logo in the middle of it. I know the sponsors want their logo space, but try to work it into the design perhaps? Instead of just kinda slapping it in dead space.

Sorry, somehow I missed this...thanks for the congrats! Totally agree with you on the logo thing. I looked at the medal again and sure enough, the logo is on both sides. I think it's also pretty prominent on the ribbon, the race shirt, etc. I think I said earlier that the marathon medal is the same thing, just bigger and with a different color scheme, and despite the fact that I had a bad day with the half this year I am finding myself REALLY wanting to sign up for the marathon next year. I feel like I need to go back and kick that course's a-- in a big way. I'm gonna try to decide sometime this week...right now they have an early-bird rate of $50 to register, and that expires on Friday. After the whole fire hydrant conversation with @Mad Stitch last week I will be bringing my own water though...o_O

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday - 5 miles @ 10:25...my goal race pace for the Akron Marathon, which I signed up for last week on a whim. This will be my first non-Disney marathon and it's supposed to be a really great one. I ran part of the marathon relay in 2009, and the portion that I did (miles 10-16ish) goes across the Akron University campus (where I got my graduate degree) and through a parks system, so I'm looking forward to that part. Also looking forward to the finish in Canal Park Stadium, home of the Akron Aeros (AA affiliate team for the Cleveland Indians). Marathon runners get a Brooks jacket for signing up and (I think) a hat at the finish, along with the medal. I think 10:25 is an ambitious but achievable pace for me, and I don't want to sell myself short so I'm just going to work hard and go for it. Akron is somewhat hilly though so I definitely need to get some hill runs in.

Anyway...yesterday's run was okay, not the best. I really need to eat better and drink more water because I felt pretty sluggish. Got rained on for the last mile or so, which felt nice.

This morning - Lifting, which I am really enjoying.

Have a great week!

Mr mom

Nicest day since I cam back from florida around 55 degrees and sunny, unfortunately the rib was killing me from start to finish, only 7.1 miles today and back on the woodpile splitting.

diddy_mouse

2.4mi @12:45 today. It was definitely a run/walk. I'm trying to get rid of this cough and it wasn't playing nice while I ran.

Yoga tomm with a little extra leg work thrown in.

JillC LI

Amazing weekend of racing everyone. I really enjoyed reading everyone's reports. Sorry about the few injuries, but it doesn't sound like any are major, and you haven't let them stop you. A2grafix, very moving how you helped your fellow racers. Nice that they recognized the you and your fellow veterans after the race.

Signed up for the Hershey 1/2 Marathon this morning (see you in October @JillC LI & @krista). Now that I've signed up for a race, training has officially started!

Yay!!! I'm so psyched to meet you gals. Since it looks like you'll both be running with your hubbies, hopefully it'll be okay if I tag along. My hubby will most definitely NOT be running. lol. Kudos to you for going 3.5 miles after such a break. Glad to hear you had no pain afterwards - hopefully the break served you well. I actually had one of those really sluggish runs yesterday too (4.4 miles) after a monster-sized dinner and drinks at the Melting Pot the night before. :p But every time I started to complain in my head, I also though of Nick. I've been obsessed with checking his progress on facebook. What an inspiration.

joel_maxwell

Forgot to post from Saturday: The family came. Well, Sam was dropping the kids off and she was heading to the barn to ride. Isabeau wanted a rock from the creek for her rock collection and Rivers just wanted to say hello to everyone.

296275_10201283706633915_1688369203_n.jpg

Kristia

Amazing weekend of racing everyone. I really enjoyed reading everyone's reports. Sorry about the few injuries, but it doesn't sound like any are major, and you haven't let them stop you. A2grafix, very moving how you helped your fellow racers. Nice that they recognized the you and your fellow veterans after the race.

Yay!!! I'm so psyched to meet you gals. Since it looks like you'll both be running with your hubbies, hopefully it'll be okay if I tag along. My hubby will most definitely NOT be running. lol. Kudos to you for going 3.5 miles after such a break. Glad to hear you had no pain afterwards - hopefully the break served you well. I actually had one of those really sluggish runs yesterday too (4.4 miles) after a monster-sized dinner and drinks at the Melting Pot the night before. :p But every time I started to complain in my head, I also though of Nick. I've been obsessed with checking his progress on facebook. What an inspiration.
My hubby is running but may not stick with me the whole time. He wants to do his best in the fall halfs so I might be on my own since he is a wee bit faster. Looking forward to meeting you!

joel_maxwell

Great pic Joel!! I see future Disney Princess runners there!
She already wants to go running with me. Im going to let her get a little older, then Ill get her out for 1/2 mile and 1 mile fun "slow" runs. She really wants to do the Triathlon thing too. They have a good kid versions here with the adult events. 50 yard swim, 1/2 mile bike and a few hundred yard run.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
She already wants to go running with me. Im going to let her get a little older, then Ill get her out for 1/2 mile and 1 mile fun "slow" runs. She really wants to do the Triathlon thing too. They have a good kid versions here with the adult events. 50 yard swim, 1/2 mile bike and a few hundred yard run.
Very cool! :)

a2grafix

Good for you! Not only for helping out as a first responder, but for running with someone to help her finish.

I did that before, last June of 2012, with my military buddies. Though I didn't have to take a physical fitness exam, I was asked to run with a fellow airman who just got off of maternity leave and need to get back into shape. I jogged with her for 1.5 miles (the test) and helped her along the way, saying positive things and lightly pushing her along.She finished, not in the time allotted, but she finished.

When it comes down to it, it's just you and the road and the finish. Haven't seen her in a while but got thank yous every so often from her commanding officer and others who saw me be a wingman to her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom