What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This is from today. That is Sally. I always end up right behind her and she is an awesome pacer for me. We always tend to be right together. She is a little quicker on the climbs, but I caught her within .25 mile. I can always see her pink gaiters in the distance. I caught her at mile 3 and was behind her the rest of the way to 12. Pretty funny. She is much older than me and kicks .

983626_470669306345396_185664944_n.jpg

a2grafix

Ran 4.5 miles in about 40 minutes Saturday along the urban jungle that is Downtown Memphis. Perfect conditions ... 80F, low humidity, bright sunshine. The only thing is that May 25 in Memphis was the place to be. Beale Street was super crowded, also an air show over the Mississippi River, sunset symphony along the Mississippi River, a Triple-A baseball game with the Redbirds and Red Rock Express. Oh, and there was this little basketball game between the Grizzlies and Spurs a block from Beale Street. Game 3 Western Conference Finals.

I knew my way around but there was a ton of vehicular traffic and foot traffic. I knew to expect a lot of people downtown because Memphis is a great place downtown to see and be seen. But I did not expect tons of traffic until 2am. Never seen downtown so lively and energetic past midnight. A rare occasion.

Sunday should be much better. Should be a great run - high of 86F and low humidity. Getting ready for Monday's military salute Memorial Day 5K at a local park.

I'm coming for you Disneyland Half. Be ready. I will be.

bethram

Road about 5.4 miles on the bike with the family this afternoon. Just over 3 miles of it was on a paved path with the kids, the rest was on the trails by myself while DH stayed with the kids.

No race for me tomorrow, but I do plan to get up and run in the morning.

a2grafix

Sunday's run about 4.75, maybe 5 miles through another part of Downtown Memphis in about 45 minutes or so, didn't care. About 82F with a very nice southerly breeze. Traffic not as congested as Saturday but it was evident everyone was going to the arena to see Sir Paul McCartney. After stretching, relaxed at the 6th floor apartment pool for an hour. A perfect Sunday evening.

topher

Ok guys!
I need to be accountable for my runs. I suffered a groin injury a few months ago, it healed to about 90% but has since plateaued. I initially injured it during a training run for a trail half marathon. I increased my mileage too quickly and really paid the price. I'm a dope.
So, I will start posting my runs in the thread along with the rest of you. Lets go!

Today: 3 miles on the hamster wheel

Sumrdog

I worked a 10 hour shift at the hospital today and came home to an empty house, so I decided to go for a little run. I really pushed myself and I did the first mile in 9:35! That is huge for me, my previous fastest ever was 10:24. Miles 2 and 3 were 10:34 and 10:15! I cannot tell you all how exciting this is. I have always thought I wasn't capable of running any faster but today I proved myself wrong and busted out of my two year plateau...Now I just need to work on keeping up that pace for 4+ hours...

bethram

6.5 miles this morning at 8:35 pace. My 10k time was 52:18, which while not as good as by 5k time, but I'm happy with it.

I don't normally run over the summer, I do a DVD program like Insanity, TapouT, or P90x. There are a couple reasons I don't run in June, July, and usually August: I hate the heat (I live in GA) and I'm a teacher so I don't have to get up early in the summer. I get up at 3:45 all school year long and I want to sleep in until about 7am in the summer, so the idea of getting up early enough to run and be home before DH leaves for work at 6:45 does not appeal to me. I'm fine with leaving DD9 alone for a bit while I go for a run, but DS5 not so much, so I have to go early. This summer I have to run so it's going to be completely different for me. We've got a 10k in mid July and a 15k at the beginning of September which are both part of a four race series then we've got the ToT in October so there will be no slacking for me this summer.

Mr mom

A wet and painful 9.3 miles. I had a log bounce on me on the weekend and I now have a bruised rib, not bad but 9+ miles on it and it got pretty sore. I am still hoping to get out and do some splitting but I need to rest it for an hour or so first.

Sumrdog

6.5 miles this morning at 8:35 pace. My 10k time was 52:18, which while not as good as by 5k time, but I'm happy with it.

I don't normally run over the summer, I do a DVD program like Insanity, TapouT, or P90x. There are a couple reasons I don't run in June, July, and usually August: I hate the heat (I live in GA) and I'm a teacher so I don't have to get up early in the summer. I get up at 3:45 all school year long and I want to sleep in until about 7am in the summer, so the idea of getting up early enough to run and be home before DH leaves for work at 6:45 does not appeal to me. I'm fine with leaving DD9 alone for a bit while I go for a run, but DS5 not so much, so I have to go early. This summer I have to run so it's going to be completely different for me. We've got a 10k in mid July and a 15k at the beginning of September which are both part of a four race series then we've got the ToT in October so there will be no slacking for me this summer.
I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to leave your son alone while you run. I am a single mom Mon-Fri while my husband is at work in Glacier Park. So if my daughter is home I am ok leaving the kids alone, she is almost 11. But if its just my 5 year old son not so much. So I run a half mile in either direction back and forth past my house for an hour checking on him every pass...It's really not my favorite route. But it's what I have to do, if I want to run outside.
BTW I am so impressed with you and your daughters 5K times in your previous post that is awesome! My daughter is just starting to get excited about running. I need to enter her in some more events!

a2grafix

Was on my way to a pretty decent time (between 27-30 minutes) during the 2013 Overton Park Memorial Day 3-miler run midtown Memphis this morning. Though started middle of the back, crossed the first mile in 9:30. Not too bad. Overcast, about 72F at race with a slight breeze. High humidity though, but still manageable.

About a mile and a quarter in right before a water station, behind me I hear a big crash. I look behind and see a wheelchair runner and a female runner tangled up. He was on his last lap and about to finish. He said on your left" and she did not hear. She hit a gate bar and collapsed into the wheelchair.

Both were skinned up pretty bad and she was complaining of chest pain. I immediately stopped and turned on a dime from runner to first responder. I tried to treat the wheelchair runner but he said for us to concentrate on the woman.

About 20 minutes after tending to the two injured and waiting for the paramedics to take over, I continued on the course. I ended up running with another runner who I felt needed a wingman, so I slowed down and jogged with her the rest of the way. She was laboring, I was not, but she took the lead and we both finished in 41:something.

Final chute to finish line was lined with American flags, all representing the troops from Memphis and the county who died while in service.

Afterward the race director and emcee called all military veterans to the winners circle in front of the "Doughboy" statue. Me and several other vets from WWII to now all assembled around the "Doughboy." So many runners and volunteers took photos. Pretty sweet.

Not the best 5K outing, but one of the most memorable.

Sumrdog

Was on my way to a pretty decent time (between 27-30 minutes) during the 2013 Overton Park Memorial Day 3-miler run midtown Memphis this morning. Though started middle of the back, crossed the fist mile in 9:30. Not too bad. Overcast, about 72F at race with a slight breeze. High humidity though, but still manageable.

About a mile and a quarter in right before a water station, behind me I hear a big crash. I look behind and see a wheelchair runner and a female runner tangled up. He was on his last lap and about to finish. He said on your left" and she did not hear. She hit a gate bar and collapsed into the wheelchair.

Both were skinned up pretty bad and she was complaining of chest pain. I immediately stopped and turned on a dime from runner to first responder. I tried to treat the wheelchair runner but he said for us to concentrate on the woman.

About 20 minutes after tending to the two injured and waiting for the paramedics to take over, I continued on the course. I ended up running with another runner who I felt needed a wingman, so I slowed down and jogged with her the rest of the way. She was laboring, I was not, but she took the lead and we both finished in 41:something.

Final chute to finish line was lined with American flags, all representing the troops from Memphis and the county who died while in service.

Afterward the race director and emcee called all military veterans to the winners circle in front of the "Doughboy" statue. Me and several other vets from WWII to now all assembled around the "Doughboy." So many runners and volunteers took photos. Pretty sweet.

Not the best 5K outing, but one of the most memorable.
It still sounds like a race to be proud of! One of my proudest moments as a parent was when my daughter who was in the lead group at a cross country meet stopped to help a girl from a rival school who had fallen, the kids from the other girls school just ran past her.

Texas84

My crazy weekend: Edge Fitness 5K on Saturday, two hours of yard work, brought out the Round-Up to spray the paths and that caused some sinus issues. Sunday, drive the two hours north to the ATL to work in our noisy, freezing datacenter. What I expected to take 4 hours took 9. Sinuses were not helped at all. Got home at 10 PM. Monday, the Chick-fil-a 10K. Woke up with a sore throat and luckily was able to cough it up and clear the passages. Wasn't a PR but ended up with this nifty age division first place bling. Most were doing the 5K. I feel like I just ran a marathon. Good endurance training for the Dumbo I guess.

Chick-fil-a10K004s_zps3bed0068.jpg

fmingo36

Signed up for the Hershey 1/2 Marathon this morning (see you in October @JillC LI & @krista).
Now that I've signed up for a race, training has officially started!

After walking 1 1/2 miles with my daughter's girls scout troops in our local Memorial Day parade, I threw my sneakers on and went for a run. I managed 3.5 miles but it felt like the most alien thing my body has ever done-breathing, pace, movement and placement of my arms... I know it's been 6 months since I went for a "real" run but it was like the first time I ever tried to run. I got home and my legs felt like jelly. (On a good note--No knee or hip pain!!!)
Have to say Nick (@Donald Duck) was on my mind as I went for my run. He is a true inspiration. I can't believe how strong he is. He is GOING to do this. I just know!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom