What did you do?

Mr mom

3.85 miles this morning. Some fartlekking occurred. Teehee.

My kids are finally old enough this summer that I feel fully comfortable going outside to run early on a weekday knowing that my hubby will have to leave for work before I get home. It's only light enough for me to feel safe myself doing that from May-August so I'm taking advantage of it.

cool. mine are almost at that age

Kristia

Ran 2 miles with my friend from work. She has been sick and the temps and humidity have been killer in Jersey this week. For our run, it was 93 degrees! Ick! Anyway, haven't run much this week since I have a horse show on Sunday. My first one in 20+ years! Yikes! It is a "schooling" show, so no ribbons or points. More just a practice to see how well we can do. Still nerve racking! I've been putting in a little more riding time to prepare. Next week I start my training for my fall marathon! Decided to go with the Hal Higdon "Marathon 3" training plan which is a plan between his novice and intermediate plans.

Mr mom

grr, I had to make a horrible decision today, I have been running with a bruised rib all week and to add insult to injury I was still working my woodpile. My rib is worse today than all week.. this is because I aggravated it yesterday by pulling the muscles around it and something in my arm trying to move a 400 to 500 lb log ( yeah I know, sometimes I am not the brightest match) So I am taking today off, the guilt is killing me, especially with all Nick is doing but my body needs to heal, I have bruises everywhere. And of course just to weaken my body more I donated blood last night, lol

Sumrdog

I got out at 6am and came across a black bear that turned down my bike path loop, needless to say i did not go that way. I turned around and backtracked when I got back past my house I called it quits. I was feeling very sluggish and only did 3.25 miles...my whole body is still sore from trying to wrestle my 250lb coworker into submission during self defense class on Wednesday. My total mileage for this week is 22.5 miles, which is more than I have been doing. I think I need to rest my legs for a day or two.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
grr, I had to make a horrible decision today, I have been running with a bruised rib all week and to add insult to injury I was still working my woodpile. My rib is worse today than all week.. this is because I aggravated it yesterday by pulling the muscles around it and something in my arm trying to move a 400 to 500 lb log ( yeah I know, sometimes I am not the brightest match) So I am taking today off, the guilt is killing me, especially with all Nick is doing but my body needs to heal, I have bruises everywhere. And of course just to weaken my body more I donated blood last night, lol
Dude, what were you thinking? 400-500 pound log. LOL. Hope you feel better and that rib heals quickly.

Ariel484

Ran 2 miles with my friend from work. She has been sick and the temps and humidity have been killer in Jersey this week. For our run, it was 93 degrees! Ick! Anyway, haven't run much this week since I have a horse show on Sunday. My first one in 20+ years! Yikes! It is a "schooling" show, so no ribbons or points. More just a practice to see how well we can do. Still nerve racking! I've been putting in a little more riding time to prepare. Next week I start my training for my fall marathon! Decided to go with the Hal Higdon "Marathon 3" training plan which is a plan between his novice and intermediate plans.
Good luck at your show!! I'm sure you'll do great. Is your fall marathon Philly or did you decide on a different one? I'll be interested to hear how you like Marathon 3!

No shame in taking rest days if you need them. Hope you feel better soon!

I got out at 6am and came across a black bear that turned down my bike path loop, needless to say i did not go that way. I turned around and backtracked when I got back past my house I called it quits. I was feeling very sluggish and only did 3.25 miles...my whole body is still sore from trying to wrestle my 250lb coworker into submission during self defense class on Wednesday. My total mileage for this week is 22.5 miles, which is more than I have been doing. I think I need to rest my legs for a day or two.

:eek: A black bear?! Yikes! Do you carry pepper spray or anything with you when you run? Not sure how much it would help vs. a bear though...

Sumrdog

Good luck at your show!! I'm sure you'll do great. Is your fall marathon Philly or did you decide on a different one? I'll be interested to hear how you like Marathon 3!

No shame in taking rest days if you need them. Hope you feel better soon!

:eek: A black bear?! Yikes! Do you carry pepper spray or anything with you when you run? Not sure how much it would help vs. a bear though...

A lot of the time I do carry bear spray, always when I go out on trails. I did not have it with me this morning, I didn't feel like carrying it. I hadn't seen a bear yet this spring. Then I read in this mornings newspaper that there have been 55 bear complaints in my town this month. So I guess I need to be more careful now!

Ariel484

3 miles on the treadmill on Wednesday (9:40 pace, kind of a tempo run I guess?) and again yesterday (10:02 pace), then lifting today. I talked to a co-worker who has run the marathon I signed up for and he said to make sure I really focus on hill training, which I never ever do, so I need to start looking into that. I have an 8-mile long run on the schedule for this weekend, but it'll be tricky with the weather. Chance of thunderstorms both days - I'll run in most weather but I draw the line at lightning.

Also - my husband has started running for the first time ever! He has never been a runner (but played tennis in high school and college, and now coaches) but he wants to run the Cleveland FANtastic 4-miler this year. I made a small training plan for him and after a disastrous outing on Memorial Day (crashed and burned after a mile) he did 1.5 miles on Wednesday at a 10:30 pace AND enjoyed it. I'm so proud! :)

Ariel484

A lot of the time I do carry bear spray, always when I go out on trails. I did not have it with me this morning, I didn't feel like carrying it. I hadn't seen a bear yet this spring. Then I read in this mornings newspaper that there have been 55 bear complaints in my town this month. So I guess I need to be more careful now!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yikes! I cannot contemplate having to worry about coming across a bear on a run...for me it's just squirrels. And I can handle them. :)

Sumrdog

:eek: :eek: :eek: Yikes! I cannot contemplate having to worry about coming across a bear on a run...for me it's just squirrels. And I can handle them. :)
Well honestly since I live in such a rural area, I think people scare me more than animals. I know when I am visiting family in other states I am nervous about running outside, in my paranoid mind every car that passes could hold a creepy person wanting to snatch me...Realistically I know that it's unlikely but I still get scared. It's funny what we are all used to.

Kristia

@Ariel484 - yep, still doing the Philly Marathon! I think Marathon 3 is more like the other training plans that I have used as it has 3 days of running as opposed to 4 or 5. It still has some kind of longer runs during the week which will be tough with the longest being 10 miles. I will keep you posted as to how it goes!

JillC LI

So I am taking today off, the guilt is killing me, especially with all Nick is doing but my body needs to heal, I have bruises everywhere.

Don't feel guilty about not running when you are injured. Feel sad you have to miss your run if you'd like but don't feel guilty.

Anyway, haven't run much this week since I have a horse show on Sunday. My first one in 20+ years! Yikes! It is a "schooling" show, so no ribbons or points. More just a practice to see how well we can do. Still nerve racking! I've been putting in a little more riding time to prepare.

I took up riding as a novice in college but I got to compete on the collegiate circuit at that level because the team could collect points at every level. Leaving campus each week to go for those riding lessons was one of the highlights of my college experience. I wish I could ride once in awhile now. I'll try to do a trail ride every few years, but that's so different from riding English saddle in a ring. Good luck!

Also - my husband has started running for the first time ever! He has never been a runner (but played tennis in high school and college, and now coaches) but he wants to run the Cleveland FANtastic 4-miler this year. I made a small training plan for him and after a disastrous outing on Memorial Day (crashed and burned after a mile) he did 1.5 miles on Wednesday at a 10:30 pace AND enjoyed it. I'm so proud! :)

How cool! In our very early days together (we've been married almost 17 years), my hubby decided to join me for a short run. He was, and still is, in excellent shape physically, but was NOT a runner. He took off like a bullet, presumably to show off :D, while I steadily trailed behind for about 2 blocks, and then when he could no longer breathe, he stopped to walk while I steadily passed him by. LOL. That was our last run together. :) Now he sticks to accompanying me on his bike sometimes on the weekend.

Mr mom

Dude, what were you thinking? 400-500 pound log. LOL. Hope you feel better and that rib heals quickly.

I was only trying to roll it, I had good leverage but pushed a little too hard, I could feel the muscles pull. A little after the fact but I now have a good pry bar

Ariel484

How cool! In our very early days together (we've been married almost 17 years), my hubby decided to join me for a short run. He was, and still is, in excellent shape physically, but was NOT a runner. He took off like a bullet, presumably to show off :D, while I steadily trailed behind for about 2 blocks, and then when he could no longer breathe, he stopped to walk while I steadily passed him by. LOL. That was our last run together. :) Now he sticks to accompanying me on his bike sometimes on the weekend.

HA! I know exactly what you mean. I'm trying not to tell him what to do too much (which is very difficult for me :D), but before the first run I did suggest going super slowly, maybe running 1 minute/walking 1 minute and he said that he wanted to just see how far he could go. I think he thought he'd be able to smoke that first mile with no problem. So I just replied "ooooookay...." and after having the first not-so-great outing he did take the second one slower, walked a bit and finished feeling great. Us wives can be very wise sometimes! :) Oh, and for the time being he says I am NOT allowed to run with him. I'm not sure if/when he's going to lift that restriction. :D

Kristia

@JillC LI - This show is kind of different than anything I have ever done. We always had a horse or horses when I was little but I never had professional lessons. I just hopped on and was self-taught or had relatives teach me. I didn't really know much about proper form and such. I also pretty much just rode western. I was in 4-H and went to the gaming shows. My horse was a great barrel racer. Not so great with the slow calm stuff. I started taking dressage lessons a few years ago and I am starting to take the plunge (ever so slowly) into showing. Horse people can be nuts so we will see how this goes. :)

Banzai

Oh, and for the time being he says I am NOT allowed to run with him. I'm not sure if/when he's going to lift that restriction./QUOTE]
LOL. Ariel, I get it completely. Starting to run again was pretty intimidating for me. My wife is ahead of me right now but she hadn't been running recently either. I can imagine what it must be like with someone who has been running for years. I'm sure your hubby would feel subtle pressure to push farther or faster. I know I would. That's just guys being guys.
Both wifey and I have been enjoying running again. It's kind of hard not to plan for the race AFTER Wine and Dine. Looking at the Space Coast Half. Really cool bling.

Banzai

What a rough run this morning. We were kinda tired so we opted to delay last night's run unttil dawn and then dawn slipped on past. Finally forced the issue at 930 and that was too late in the day for the Lower Keys. It was already 82 degrees with 85 pct humidity. Probably should have punted but chose to drag our keesters through 30 minutes anyway. Not teh greatest decision but logged 2.13. I don't know how some of these other folks handle daytime runs down here but I see people running all the time.

Ariel484

LOL, when he thinks he can outrun you without stopping!

LOL. Ariel, I get it completely. Starting to run again was pretty intimidating for me. My wife is ahead of me right now but she hadn't been running recently either. I can imagine what it must be like with someone who has been running for years. I'm sure your hubby would feel subtle pressure to push farther or faster. I know I would. That's just guys being guys.
Both wifey and I have been enjoying running again. It's kind of hard not to plan for the race AFTER Wine and Dine. Looking at the Space Coast Half. Really cool bling.

Both of you have hit it on the head - he's incredibly competitive. I think that's why he'll enjoy running...he's never competed against himself before so this will be different for him. He liked being able to go over his stats in RunKeeper and was saying that on Wednesday he was trying to get his 1.5 mile time under 15 minutes. Gotta focus on the distance first, sir!

@Banzai - I've heard good things about Space Coast. I"m not surprised that you are focusing on the race AFTER Wine & Dine already - racing can be addicting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom