What did you do?

Ariel484

I had a hard time getting motivated after staying at school late the past two nights for graduation and honors night. I ran hills but didn't push the pace like I have been lately and I didn't loop quite as far the end. 68 degrees 88% humidity, 9:03 pace. I wish I had gotten a chance to run in April and May's weather, we went straight from March to June in terms of temperature and humidity.
I hear ya on the humidity! It was horrible in NJ yesterday. Luckily we are supposed to get a break in it after Thursday.
The humidity is killer. For my race on Sunday it was 69 degrees out with 83% humidity. Do not like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past I've used a little strength training routine, but I want to mix things up a bit and get back into lifting and see if that helps my running more, so today was day 1 of that. I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program...we'll see how it goes. Favorite thing about it so far is that it encourages lifting heavy weights, not little 2- and 3-pounders like other women-focused strength training programs I've seen. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow morning!

dreamfinder

Today was speed work. Warm up/cool down, with 6x800@2:47 in the middle w/90 sec RI. Sucked it up and finished today. Booyah! Felt good afterwards.

So how did you change things?

I'm thinking I got my weight shifted forward just a bit more. Almost a shift from mid foot to forefoot? But yet not a full on forefoot as that works more like a sprint for me. Not completely sure as I'm still feeling it out. But definitely involved getting my upper body forward more.

And here's the bling! It's pretty much the same every year, except that the colors change and the marathon version of the medal is bigger. This year's medal was pretty girly. I dig it.

Congrats! I like, except for the unfortunate RiteAid logo in the middle of it. I know the sponsors want their logo space, but try to work it into the design perhaps? Instead of just kinda slapping it in dead space.

Mr mom

Ugh, I hate high humidity, luckily where I live it is not usually a problem.

Well after almost three glorious weeks in the heat of florida I am finally home. The only running in that time was for fast passes or mickey ice cream, lol. So when I went out today I had no idea what to expect and a goal of doing no less than 6 miles. I did 7.1 and still felt great but figured after such a long break I better not push it. what a change in weather though, from 90 and high humidity to 50 and none. I still wore t shirt and shorts though, no way I was going to admit I found it cold. all in all things went better than I had thought.

GoofyRacer11

In the past I've used a little strength training routine, but I want to mix things up a bit and get back into lifting and see if that helps my running more, so today was day 1 of that. I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program...we'll see how it goes. Favorite thing about it so far is that it encourages lifting heavy weights, not little 2- and 3-pounders like other women-focused strength training programs I've seen. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow morning!

I noticed that I had a harder time hearing announcements as well while waiting for the race to start. Usually I'm more towards corrals A & B and since I was by the 11:00/mile pace group, it made a huge difference. They should have speakers set up all along the starting line so all corrals can hear whats going on.

That's one thing I think women should start to embrace when doing strength training. Many go for lighter weights because they don't want to get "bulky", but women don't have enough testosterone to grow muscles like men do so even lifting heavy weights won't make them "huge".

JillC LI

I had heard a rumor from some friends of some private trails on this big corporations property to the left of the Greenway trail. Possibly 30 miles of trails. I have been looking for the secret "left" off the trail, and found it today. It is a 30-40 yard vertical climb, and I mean vertical.... and sure enough, there was a trail at the top. Very light trail and hard to follow, but I saw horseshoe imprints so I know it is traveled often. Very exciting.

How do the horses get up that vertical climb?! :)

Ariel484

I noticed that I had a harder time hearing announcements as well while waiting for the race to start. Usually I'm more towards corrals A & B and since I was by the 11:00/mile pace group, it made a huge difference. They should have speakers set up all along the starting line so all corrals can hear whats going on.
Yeah, I found that surprising and disappointing. Last year and the year before it was fine.
That's one thing I think women should start to embrace when doing strength training. Many go for lighter weights because they don't want to get "bulky", but women don't have enough testosterone to grow muscles like men do so even lifting heavy weights won't make them "huge".
I totally agree! :) No more "Barbie weights!"

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
How do the horses get up that vertical climb?! :)
I asKed my wife the second I walked in the door. She said some horses have the skills to do it and are like mtn climbing goats, others are clumsy on a mild hill. All in the horse, but I was SHOCKED to see horseshoe prints. Couldnt believe it. Especially coming back down it.

bethram

I cut my run short again today. This week is just killing me with all the evening school obligations and field day today, plus I haven't gotten used the heat and humidity yet. I wanted to save a little for my try at placing in Saturday's 5k. Totals today: 3.3 miles at 8:21, about 0.6 shorter than normal, but at least I got my butt out of bed.

Kristia

I asKed my wife the second I walked in the door. She said some horses have the skills to do it and are like mtn climbing goats, others are clumsy on a mild hill. All in the horse, but I was SHOCKED to see horseshoe prints. Couldnt believe it. Especially coming back down it.
Much scarier coming down a hill like that on a horse than going up! I have ridden some of my friend's horses out in the mountains of PA. Usually if you give the horse thier head and let them pick the way, they will get you up and down safely. I am sure our Jersey horses would be the clumsy ones. No mountains here!

Mr mom

7.8 miles.. a little more than yesterday but I was sore, gonna take a week or so to get back but that is the price of vacation. On a side note I have been home 4 days and have yet to see the sun or have a day over 50 degrees. right now I want to go back to Florida.

joel_maxwell

4.5 miles this morning. Usually I cycle, but with my Tri in site and a good tough trail run Saturday morning, I decided to go out for a run instead. Ill ride next week, but the hay is in the barn so to speak and I cant do anything in these last 2 weeks to improve my cycle time. Lets remember, Im slumming the bike portion on a 1994 Specialized Rockhopper that weighs about 35+lbs. Ill just have to make up the lost time due to sucky bike on the run portion. :D

Lastly, GO GETEM NICK!

JillC LI

Much scarier coming down a hill like that on a horse than going up! I have ridden some of my friend's horses out in the mountains of PA. Usually if you give the horse thier head and let them pick the way, they will get you up and down safely. I am sure our Jersey horses would be the clumsy ones. No mountains here!

We booked at family vacation for the end of the summer to several National Parks including the Grand Canyon. My hubby and son booked a mule ride down the Grand Canyon, but I have a problem with heights and cannot imagine looking down into that canyon from the back of a tall mule while navigating a narrow ledge and switchbacks into it! I do however enjoy horsebackriding and don't want to miss out on the experience of riding a mule AT the Grand Canyon if not INTO the Grand Canyon, so DD and I have booked a mule ride around the rim while the boys go into the canyon.

Lastly, GO GETEM NICK!

Yes, go get'em Nick! We're pulling for ya!

As for me, I managed to squeeze in a 3.1 mile run yesterday afternoon - short intervals outdoors instead of the TM which meant I had a hard time keeping a consistent pace on the intervals, but it was a good workout.

Kristia

We booked at family vacation for the end of the summer to several National Parks including the Grand Canyon. My hubby and son booked a mule ride down the Grand Canyon, but I have a problem with heights and cannot imagine looking down into that canyon from the back of a tall mule while navigating a narrow ledge and switchbacks into it! I do however enjoy horsebackriding and don't want to miss out on the experience of riding a mule AT the Grand Canyon if not INTO the Grand Canyon, so DD and I have booked a mule ride around the rim while the boys go into the canyon.

Yes, go get'em Nick! We're pulling for ya!

As for me, I managed to squeeze in a 3.1 mile run yesterday afternoon - short intervals outdoors instead of the TM which meant I had a hard time keeping a consistent pace on the intervals, but it was a good workout.
I would LOVE to do that ride down into the Grand Canyon. I can understand the height thing though as I am not too crazy about them, but I think I would do that. Those mules (and mules in general) are super sure-footed. A rim ride sounds like fun too! I want to see pics when you do that!

JillC LI

I would LOVE to do that ride down into the Grand Canyon. I can understand the height thing though as I am not too crazy about them, but I think I would do that. Those mules (and mules in general) are super sure-footed. A rim ride sounds like fun too! I want to see pics when you do that!

You got it. Apparently no mule has ever slipped in the hundred years that they've been doing the mule rides into the canyon, but I have a problem standing at a railing looking down from a height, so I would have a heart attack doing the mule ride into the canyon. I would die from falling off the mule after having a heart attack! As it is, I'm a nervous wreck about my hubby and son doing the ride. I'm glad my daughter wants to stick with me around the rim.
Check out this video - I nearly have a heart attack WATCHING it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t079OFXezo

joel_maxwell

You got it. Apparently no mule has ever slipped in the hundred years that they've been doing the mule rides into the canyon, but I have a problem standing at a railing looking down from a height, so I would have a heart attack doing the mule ride into the canyon. I would die from falling off the mule after having a heart attack! As it is, I'm a nervous wreck about my hubby and son doing the ride. I'm glad my daughter wants to stick with me around the rim.
WOAH. I love the rocks/gravel tumbling in the background.

Kristia

Love it! Love the muley ears! Looks scary but I think I want to do it! Someday I hope!

bethram

25+ minutes, maybe 3 miles, on the mountain bike this afternoon. I've had a crazy day: I ran this morning, had field day at school, tried to kill myself racing against a 7th grader in one of the bounce house obstacle courses (I was winning until I lost my footing and fell off near the top of the big climb up to the slide), then went mountain biking and scared myself with a couple of close calls.

I just agreed to go biking again tomorrow evening and we've got a 5k Saturday morning, I must be nuts!

Sumrdog

5 miles on the treadmill...pure torture! I kept speeding it up, then slowing it down, I just couldn't find the right pace. I woke up to 3 inches of heavy wet snow so I didn't want to run outside, the tree branches were snapping from the weight...Ugh! Last week it was 80 degrees and sunny. Spring time in the Rockies is so unpredictable.

Kristia

5 miles on the treadmill...pure torture! I kept speeding it up, then slowing it down, I just couldn't find the right pace. I woke up to 3 inches of heavy wet snow so I didn't want to run outside, the tree branches were snapping from the weight...Ugh! Last week it was 80 degrees and sunny. Spring time in the Rockies is so unpredictable.
Eek!! Snow?! Although, I would love to visit there sometime!

3 miles for me yesterday at work with my co-worker. That was her first 3 miles non-stop so she was pretty happy. We kept it slowish. The humidity was still killer but at least there was a nice breeze to keep it bearable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom