What did you do?

Ariel484

That stinks that you didn't have a great race but like you said it happens and it happens to all of us once in a while. I totally know how you feel! I am still bummed about the marathon. There is always the next one. And yay for popsicles!
Yeah, and really this is the first BAD race I've had...I've been lucky so far.

Congrats on finishing. I know you and two others who ran the half marathon, one is a former elementary classmate at St. Robert in Euclid. Both didn't say how well they did but looking at what Mad Stitch wrote to you, I guess there should be an improvement. At least you finished. Don't beat yourself up.

Heard there were medical issues, including someone going into cardiac arrest. Scary. And I thought running at night around 80F at 10pm with 80-90 percent humidity was fun.

Maybe I will see you in July for the Johnnycake Jog in Painesville Township.
Thank you. I'm doing better today...haha! I'm still a little discouraged but like @Kristia said, there's always the next one. I did see one person getting oxygen around mile 11 and a couple others getting taken off the course on stretchers...conditions were tough but last year was worse. I didn't hear about the person going into cardiac arrest...I hope they are okay. :(

I'll check out the Johnnycake Jog! Never heard of that one. :)

Shannon, sorry to hear that you had such a crappy race. I know it will happen to me eventually and I just hope its not in an "important" race. Hooray for popsicles though. It was pretty humid during my race on Saturday but finishing on the boardwalk at Coney Island with no sun out lots of people were wishing for mylar blankets (the med tent ran out of the few they had). I am very glad I checked a bag because I would have perished riding the subway for an hour and a half with wet clothing and no long sleeve shirt.
Thanks Lindsay...the post-race spread was good. Water, chocolate milk, Powerade, pretzels, bananas and popsicles. It put runDisney's little snack boxes to shame, that's for sure.
CONGRATS on your amazing half time from this weekend! How can I be fast like you?! :p

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Brooklyn Half results are in. 13.1 miles in 1:51:33! Huge PR for me chopping off almost 5 minutes from my old PR. For a race with 22,000 runners I experienced literally no course congestion (See Disney it can be done). It was a fast course with 305 elevation gain and a loss of 457 feet. Definitely gaining confidence with my speed the past few weeks/races, I have learned that I can run at a decent pace and not run out of gas or have my legs give up.

How did everyone else do in their races this week?

@joel_maxwell - holy elevation
Congrats on the PR. Nice job and 5 minutes is huge.

Yes, 1,358 climb on one loop and will be almost 3,000 for 12 miles. Ill take that work out this Saturday.

joel_maxwell

Cleveland Half Marathon this morning...my third time running this race and it was awful. So many things went wrong...I forgot my sunglasses, the course was crowded (22,000 runners like @LindsayLoves but apparently Cleveland can't figure it out), my stomach was killing me, my IT Bands were shot (which is really unusual for me, so I am not thrilled about that) and I was a total idiot about hydrating leading up to the race, so my legs felt lead. I had a specific goal time in mind, one that was challenging but achievable, and I was a good 10 minutes off of that time. :( Not my personal worst but still...oh well, At least we got Popsicles at the finish line. :D Heavenly.

I guess I am just going to let myself be mad about it today, figure out what I can do better next time and move on. This was definitely the worst I've ever felt during a race...I guess they can't all be great.
At least you finished. Hate you had a rough day.
Color Me Rad 5K in this morning. Lots of run even though it was raining. Even got to run with @Kristia and her sister Kelly!!!
WOW... that is awesome. Glad the Mingo is back in the saddle.
Ran the Color Me Rad run in Holmdel, NJ today. Had a great time with my sis and @fmingo36! Definitely one we will be back for in the future. I (dummy me) thought I had my camera in my pocket and as we sat down in the shuttle bus, I realized that I had left it in the car! GRRRRRRR! I only have one pic from the day but I know Coryna has a bunch. It was supposed to be a 5k but it felt way shorter. I didn't have my watch on and it was untimed, so I have no idea how long it took to run it.

Here is an after pic with my sis and me.
Great pic guys!

JillC LI

I thought we would do a nice easy race as a family this morning....It was my 5 year old son's first race. I chose the 1.5 mile distance thinking that it would be no big deal (Wrong!) He walks that far all the time when we go for walks around our neighborhood. And it was a fund raiser for our local dog park so we brought the dogs. After we got through the initial excitement at the start and jogged for about 1/4 mile, the suffering began... I had my 11 year old Black Lab on the leash dragging me forward and my whiney son pulling me back...It wasn't pretty but we finished in 22 minutes. There was much dramatics on my son's behalf and much coaxing with promises of ice cream from me. When we finally rounded the bend and my boy saw the finish he started sprinting and he was all smiles at the end, as if he hadn't cried and made a scene for an entire mile...I was hoping that the thrill of finishing would get him excited about running races with me, not sure if my plan worked.

And where was the rest of the family...my HH and his dog ran their own race and my ten year old daughter ran with her friends they finished in 12 minutes with a 9:04 pace! So at least someone in our family got some exercise...I am sure glad I didn't enter the boy in the 4 miler.

I think I might stick to running alone from now on.

LOL, you reminded me of the first race I entered with DD, then 6. It was a 1 mile local Fun Run, and I wound up carrying her for most of it! LOL. I'm afraid she was not inspired to run again, but at least DS is a cross-country runner now (and can whip my derriere!). Oh, and this is the DD who swam over 2 miles in her swimathon the other day so she just had to find the activity that appealed to her - running was NOT it.

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend, positive or disappointing outcomes you were out there giving it your all! And a special shout-out to @diddy_mouse on her first medal! Coryna, post some more pics of you and Kristy at the Color Run. Did they actually spray you with color as you raced? Sounds fun.

As for me, 4 mile particularly rough speed work on TM for me yesterday - half mile reps at 8:30 min with .3 mile intervals at 10 min. Thought I'd die during the final rep.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Have not run since Friday per my taper.

Change of plans: warm up run tomorrow with my pacer and head to Vermont early Wednesday morning.

Right now, I'm still packing and preparing for war...

Looks like the first few days and nights will be rain. Bring it on.

@joel_maxwell - looks like the mountains are a dead zone for cell service with exception to HQ at the bottom of the mountain. I will do my best to keep you informed. As we discussed about my texts, you know the drill. Thanks buddy.

If it doesn't hurt, sign me up for something that will.

joel_maxwell

Have not run since Friday per my taper.

Change of plans: warm up run tomorrow with my pacer and head to Vermont early Wednesday morning.

Right now, I'm still packing and preparing for war...

Looks like the first few days and nights will be rain. Bring it on.

@joel_maxwell - looks like the mountains are a dead zone for cell service with exception to HQ at the bottom of the mountain. I will do my best to keep you informed. As we discussed about my texts, you know the drill. Thanks buddy.

If it doesn't hurt, sign me up for something that will.
10-4. Ill see what comes through and share selected things here about progress between check ins.

diddy_mouse

Sounds like every one had a pretty full weekend. :) I know I'm already thinking about the next race I want to register for.

No activity for me today. I plan on doing some light cross-training tomorrow and I should be back on the treadmill on Thursday for an easy, easy, easy run.

Sumrdog

Today I ran my usual riverside trail route for an easy 3.5 miles and I saw a fox! I believe it was the same fox that ate one of my favorite hens last week :( (Ninja Chicken). Anyway I wanted to shoot it, but not with my camera. However since I was armed with neither my camera nor my daughter's pellet gun I yelled at him to stay out of my hen house and continued running. Other than that unpleasant reminder of last weeks carnage it was a good run.

dreamfinder

Today was cross training. 45 mins on the bike.

Completely forgot that I had a partial stride revelation the last few longer runs. Legs felt lighter, foot falls were significantly quieter, just felt good. Of course only for a few miles until my muscles started to get prematurely sore from the different use.

@joel_maxwell - looks like the mountains are a dead zone for cell service with exception to HQ at the bottom of the mountain.

Welcome to Vermont. I find I'm lucky if I have service traveling on the major highways. It's light years better than it had been a few years ago, but still has a way to go til you can rely on a cell phone as you wander around the backwoods.

If it does end up raining, you should end up with some awesome mud shots. Can't wait to see the end results.

JillC LI

10-4. Ill see what comes through and share selected things here about progress between check ins.

Don't worry, we'll be able to fill in the blanks with the appropriate crude words. :D

Completely forgot that I had a partial stride revelation the last few longer runs. Legs felt lighter, foot falls were significantly quieter, just felt good. Of course only for a few miles until my muscles started to get prematurely sore from the different use.

So how did you change things?

As for me, 4 miles yesterday late afternoon at 10 minute pace. Wasn't sure I'd be able to squeeze in a run yesterday, but I made everyone wait until 7:30 to eat dinner so I could. Call me selfish. :D

Ariel484

At least you finished. Hate you had a rough day.
Thanks. I definitely learned a lot from it, so that's something I guess.

Today was an easy 3-miler. My legs were definitely a little tired but it felt pretty good overall. :)

I uploaded my Garmin data from Sunday's race and looking at the splits made me feel better. Not that I've been, like, freaking out about it since, but still...I had 10 really good miles and 3 bad ones sort of in the middle. Seeing the numbers helped.

And here's the bling! It's pretty much the same every year, except that the colors change and the marathon version of the medal is bigger. This year's medal was pretty girly. I dig it.

photo.JPG

joel_maxwell

Don't worry, we'll be able to fill in the blanks with the appropriate crude words. :D
I figured as much. LOL
Thanks. I definitely learned a lot from it, so that's something I guess.
So of my best experiences and learning points have come in the form of a "in the moment" bad day, tough day... day not going my way, but I finished.

I dont mind those days at all.

Kristia

I had my worst run in a long time today. 84 degrees and about the same for humidity. We didn't get a good long run in on the weekend so we decided to try or large block loop which is about 5.8 miles. It was so freakin' hot and the sun was beating down on us. We made it to about 2.5 miles and had to walk. We did the whole 5.8 but ended up walking more than running. It was brutal. Yep, spring in NJ. It was winter last week and summer this week. Ugh. I don't even know what our pace was, all I know is it was SLOW..

joel_maxwell

I had my worst run in a long time today. 84 degrees and about the same for humidity. We didn't get a good long run in on the weekend so we decided to try or large block loop which is about 5.8 miles. It was so freakin' hot and the sun was beating down on us. We made it to about 2.5 miles and had to walk. We did the whole 5.8 but ended up walking more than running. It was brutal. Yep, spring in NJ. It was winter last week and summer this week. Ugh. I don't even know what our pace was, all I know is it was SLOW..
Way to fight through!

Sounds like Alabama. We go from Winter to Summer with a 5 day Spring. Now, it is already hot a hell and humid is through the roof.

So, cant change it... bring it!

bethram

I had a hard time getting motivated after staying at school late the past two nights for graduation and honors night. I ran hills but didn't push the pace like I have been lately and I didn't loop quite as far the end. 68 degrees 88% humidity, 9:03 pace. I wish I had gotten a chance to run in April and May's weather, we went straight from March to June in terms of temperature and humidity.

Kristia

I had a hard time getting motivated after staying at school late the past two nights for graduation and honors night. I ran hills but didn't push the pace like I have been lately and I didn't loop quite as far the end. 68 degrees 88% humidity, 9:03 pace. I wish I had gotten a chance to run in April and May's weather, we went straight from March to June in terms of temperature and humidity.
I hear ya on the humidity! It was horrible in NJ yesterday. Luckily we are supposed to get a break in it after Thursday.

joel_maxwell

5 miles on the greenway trail. It was upper 60's and 85% humidity. I guess summer is here to stay.

I had heard a rumor from some friends of some private trails on this big corporations property to the left of the Greenway trail. Possibly 30 miles of trails. I have been looking for the secret "left" off the trail, and found it today. It is a 30-40 yard vertical climb, and I mean vertical.... and sure enough, there was a trail at the top. Very light trail and hard to follow, but I saw horseshoe imprints so I know it is traveled often. Very exciting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom