What did you do?

Ariel484

Cleveland Half Marathon this morning...my third time running this race and it was awful. So many things went wrong...I forgot my sunglasses, the course was crowded (22,000 runners like @LindsayLoves but apparently Cleveland can't figure it out), my stomach was killing me, my IT Bands were shot (which is really unusual for me, so I am not thrilled about that) and I was a total idiot about hydrating leading up to the race, so my legs felt lead. I had a specific goal time in mind, one that was challenging but achievable, and I was a good 10 minutes off of that time. :( Not my personal worst but still...oh well, At least we got Popsicles at the finish line. :D Heavenly.

I guess I am just going to let myself be mad about it today, figure out what I can do better next time and move on. This was definitely the worst I've ever felt during a race...I guess they can't all be great.

imagination30

well what can i say my first run after my half marathon / stress fracuture , a nice 79 degrees but Muggy.. as all get out.. , these are the days i miss cold weather or rain.. or something.. but did 4. 55 with a pace of 9:08.
i just did a little bit to test the waters.. and it felt kinda good , but kinda slow! .. , have a race comming up next monday .. the cotton row on memorial day in Huntsville al

Mad Stitch

Cleveland Half Marathon this morning...my third time running this race and it was awful. So many things went wrong...I forgot my sunglasses, the course was crowded (22,000 runners like @LindsayLoves but apparently Cleveland can't figure it out), my stomach was killing me, my IT Bands were shot (which is really unusual for me, so I am not thrilled about that) and I was a total idiot about hydrating leading up to the race, so my legs felt lead. I had a specific goal time in mind, one that was challenging but achievable, and I was a good 10 minutes off of that time. :( Not my personal worst but still...oh well, At least we got Popsicles at the finish line. :D Heavenly.

Did they do one gun again with everyone lined up based on the honor system? They really need to start doing corral starts. This and when they were getting water out of a fire hydrant after they ran out at mile 11 were the reasons I decided not to participate this year. I’m looking forward to the Rock ‘n Roll race in October.

Congrats on finishing.

Sumrdog

I thought we would do a nice easy race as a family this morning....It was my 5 year old son's first race. I chose the 1.5 mile distance thinking that it would be no big deal (Wrong!) He walks that far all the time when we go for walks around our neighborhood. And it was a fund raiser for our local dog park so we brought the dogs. After we got through the initial excitement at the start and jogged for about 1/4 mile, the suffering began... I had my 11 year old Black Lab on the leash dragging me forward and my whiney son pulling me back...It wasn't pretty but we finished in 22 minutes. There was much dramatics on my son's behalf and much coaxing with promises of ice cream from me. When we finally rounded the bend and my boy saw the finish he started sprinting and he was all smiles at the end, as if he hadn't cried and made a scene for an entire mile...I was hoping that the thrill of finishing would get him excited about running races with me, not sure if my plan worked.

And where was the rest of the family...my HH and his dog ran their own race and my ten year old daughter ran with her friends they finished in 12 minutes with a 9:04 pace! So at least someone in our family got some exercise...I am sure glad I didn't enter the boy in the 4 miler.

I think I might stick to running alone from now on.

Ariel484

Did they do one gun again with everyone lined up based on the honor system? They really need to start doing corral starts. This and when they were getting water out of a fire hydrant after they ran out at mile 11 were the reasons I decided not to participate this year. I’m looking forward to the Rock ‘n Roll race in October.

Congrats on finishing.
Yes, that's how they did the start. Did not like. Also...where I was, we couldn't hear anything at all. So everyone unknowingly talked through the National Anthem and the momen of silence for Boston. And I didn't even hear the official start.

I also saw them tapping in to the hydrants. That got a big o_O from me. I think I might sit it out next year too.

ETA: and thanks for the congrats. I saw a few people getting medical assistance which is always unfortunate...so while I am disappointed at least it didn't get that bad.

diddy_mouse

Historic 10K in Fredericksburg today, part of the Marine Corps Marathon series. Weather was chilly and foggy to start then turned to humid and misty rain as I got to the 4 mi mark. There were less people participating in the 10K than I thought which was nice running through the narrow Old Town areas. I found a lady I use to work with as we were waiting at the start area. She was running with her husband so it was nice being a able to chat with someone before starting the run (helped to ease my nerves a little.)

Here's me before hopping on the shuttle
9f8ecee7-cbe2-49b3-bad8-f1e01ec8ae39_zps06a5e1e2.jpg

Legs felt good, breathing wasn't a challenge, and I began to focus on consistent running with shorter walk breaks leading up to mile 4 which was the start of the 200ft Hospital Hill. I ended up walking more of the hill than I wanted but I did make an effort to run when I could. The other long, curved hill in the last leg of the race wasn't as bad.

My husband found me around the 6mi mark
a21bc487-86cc-4adf-882a-831d2e40a9c4_zps7c66717f.jpg

Nearing the end of the race I kept telling myself, whatever you do...don't stop moving I didn't want to walk the last .2. I ended up finishing in 1:20 with a 12:56 pace. Seemed about right since my training pace had been 13 flat. I could have gone a little faster as I went to cross the finish line but endurance > speed at this stage for me. I was so happy to get that medal and pretty much wore it around all day. :)

Bling!
98d1252e-8b0f-4a84-b1ef-f8f2843af0ca_zpsf7e4ac22.jpg

Kristia

Wow! Seems like most everyone had a busy weekend!
DH, DD9, and I ran the Freight Train 5k in Kennesaw, GA this morning, it is the first in the 2013 Locomotive Series. I set a PR at 25:29 which according to my garmin was 3.19 miles at 7:59 pace. DH ran his best ever 5k as well! We had a great time even though we were soaked before it started. Hopefully the rest of the races in the series will have better weather.
Awesome pace!! I can not even imagine being able to run that pace.
Brooklyn Half results are in. 13.1 miles in 1:51:33! Huge PR for me chopping off almost 5 minutes from my old PR. For a race with 22,000 runners I experienced literally no course congestion (See Disney it can be done). It was a fast course with 305 elevation gain and a loss of 457 feet. Definitely gaining confidence with my speed the past few weeks/races, I have learned that I can run at a decent pace and not run out of gas or have my legs give up.

How did everyone else do in their races this week?

@joel_maxwell - holy elevation
Awesome job! Totally agree that Disney could learn from some of these other races. I mean, come on! 40,000 people running a 10 miler through Philadelphia and hardly any course congestion. It helps when they closed the entire road and had 4+ lanes free at times where Disney only gave us one lane at many points.

Kristia

I guess I am just going to let myself be mad about it today, figure out what I can do better next time and move on. This was definitely the worst I've ever felt during a race...I guess they can't all be great.
That stinks that you didn't have a great race but like you said it happens and it happens to all of us once in a while. I totally know how you feel! I am still bummed about the marathon. There is always the next one. And yay for popsicles!
well what can i say my first run after my half marathon / stress fracuture , a nice 79 degrees but Muggy.. as all get out.. , these are the days i miss cold weather or rain.. or something.. but did 4. 55 with a pace of 9:08.
i just did a little bit to test the waters.. and it felt kinda good , but kinda slow! .. , have a race comming up next monday .. the cotton row on memorial day in Huntsville al
Didn't know you got a stress fracture. Yikes! Make sure you give that plenty of time to heal!
I thought we would do a nice easy race as a family this morning....It was my 5 year old son's first race. I chose the 1.5 mile distance thinking that it would be no big deal (Wrong!) He walks that far all the time when we go for walks around our neighborhood. And it was a fund raiser for our local dog park so we brought the dogs. After we got through the initial excitement at the start and jogged for about 1/4 mile, the suffering began... I had my 11 year old Black Lab on the leash dragging me forward and my whiney son pulling me back...It wasn't pretty but we finished in 22 minutes. There was much dramatics on my son's behalf and much coaxing with promises of ice cream from me. When we finally rounded the bend and my boy saw the finish he started sprinting and he was all smiles at the end, as if he hadn't cried and made a scene for an entire mile...I was hoping that the thrill of finishing would get him excited about running races with me, not sure if my plan worked.

And where was the rest of the family...my HH and his dog ran their own race and my ten year old daughter ran with her friends they finished in 12 minutes with a 9:04 pace! So at least someone in our family got some exercise...I am sure glad I didn't enter the boy in the 4 miler.

I think I might stick to running alone from now on.
That sounds like quite the experience! Haha! Glad you survived! I don't have kids but I know running with my dogs is challenging! My arms are killing by the end trying to hold them back. I have neglected teaching them good heeling manners!

Kristia

Ran the Color Me Rad run in Holmdel, NJ today. Had a great time with my sis and @fmingo36! Definitely one we will be back for in the future. I (dummy me) thought I had my camera in my pocket and as we sat down in the shuttle bus, I realized that I had left it in the car! GRRRRRRR! I only have one pic from the day but I know Coryna has a bunch. It was supposed to be a 5k but it felt way shorter. I didn't have my watch on and it was untimed, so I have no idea how long it took to run it.

Here is an after pic with my sis and me.

Sumrdog

Ran the Color Me Rad run in Holmdel, NJ today. Had a great time with my sis and @fmingo36! Definitely one we will be back for in the future. I (dummy me) thought I had my camera in my pocket and as we sat down in the shuttle bus, I realized that I had left it in the car! GRRRRRRR! I only have one pic from the day but I know Coryna has a bunch. It was supposed to be a 5k but it felt way shorter. I didn't have my watch on and it was untimed, so I have no idea how long it took to run it.

Super fun!
There was a Color Me Rad in Missoula 2 weeks ago and I really wanted to do it with my daughter, but it sold out before I could get my act together. It looks so fun! Next year hopefully...

a2grafix

Congrats on finishing. I know you and two others who ran the half marathon, one is a former elementary classmate at St. Robert in Euclid. Both didn't say how well they did but looking at what Mad Stitch wrote to you, I guess there should be an improvement. At least you finished. Don't beat yourself up.

Heard there were medical issues, including someone going into cardiac arrest. Scary. And I thought running at night around 80F at 10pm with 80-90 percent humidity was fun.

Maybe I will see you in July for the Johnnycake Jog in Painesville Township.

bethram

I need to go back and read everyone's posts for the past couple days, I've been too busy to spend too long here.

This morning it was humid! I ran 3.1 in 24:40 which was 7:57, my run totaled 3.9 miles at 8:08 overall. Saturday is the big race I'm trying to place in, after that I can stop pushing so hard.

dreamfinder

This and when they were getting water out of a fire hydrant after they ran out at mile 11 were the reasons I decided not to participate this year.

Ewww. Not so sure about that one.

Sat was mile warm up/cool down, with 5@6:39 in the middle. Sun was supposed to be 20@7:48, bailed at 17. Did not feel good at all. Not sure if it was something I ate, or a 24 bug thing, but breakfast didn't want to stay where it should. Thankfully it did. On the plus side, no cramping and I'm moving good today.

LindsayLoves

Shannon, sorry to hear that you had such a crappy race. I know it will happen to me eventually and I just hope its not in an "important" race. Hooray for popsicles though. It was pretty humid during my race on Saturday but finishing on the boardwalk at Coney Island with no sun out lots of people were wishing for mylar blankets (the med tent ran out of the few they had). I am very glad I checked a bag because I would have perished riding the subway for an hour and a half with wet clothing and no long sleeve shirt.

@diddy_mouse - awesome job! Endurance is way more important than speed when you are first starting. You will be so happy when you can run a full 10k without the walk breaks.

@Kristia - It probably felt shorter than a 5k because it was that much fun. I have heard lots of good things about those races, they don't come through NYC that often and when they do they sell out super fast.

fmingo36

You're too clean!!! :p

Kristia

@Kristia - It probably felt shorter than a 5k because it was that much fun. I have heard lots of good things about those races, they don't come through NYC that often and when they do they sell out super fast.
I checked out their fb page today and people said their runkeeper app measured 2.5 miles. The organizers said they did fall short and would try to do better next year. Its ok though, it was a lot of fun! Good to know that my internal mileage clock works lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom