What did you do?

Mr mom

27 miles completed in the Lake Martin 50/27 Ultra, killed a beer, and then ran 3 more miles to make it a true 50K - 30 miles. I placed 5th in the 27. I was a little upset since my IT bands shut me down at 21 or 22 and I had to walk a lot more, I think I could have taken 3rd place since I was running with 3rd and 4th place and they werent strong, just stronger then my IT bands. Oy!

Nick was right, this crew was a different breed of people and I loved it. Once I completed the 27, a few of the crew that I had met the night before encouraged me to finish the 3 more miles of a true 50K. "Even if you have to walk it, just do it, you will not regret it". So, off I went. Hobbled a bunch since I quit moving for about 30 minutes while drinking a beer. When I ran back into camp from the opposite direction (not to get in the way of the finish or draw attention to myself, they were all waiting and watching and cheered me in with bigger congrats for that accomplishment. Just a great crowd and makes you never want to do events with hundreds/thousands of people. There was 75 runners.

3,000 feet elevation gain on awesome single track and some service roads of red Alabama dirt. See below.

Thanks to all the volunteers today! It was a lot of fun.

Cool pics in Scenes from the Road thread. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scenes-from-the-road.857226/page-4#post-5390896

View attachment 28727

Alabama Red dirt. A friend thought my legs were bleeding when I got home. LOL
View attachment 28728

The best shoe on the market. I had 15 miles on them going into this event and they were awesome.
View attachment 28729

Way to go Joel

Kristia

6 miles today before the rain/snow starts tomorrow. Spring...what spring? I am looking forward to a morning when I get up to feed the horses and it is more than 18-22 degrees. This is getting ridiculous.

bethram

3.75 miles this morning at 8:32 pace. Monday is speed day but since I had my long run yesterday I didn't push it as much as normal.

It's amazing what 24 hours can do to the weather. Yesterday was 45 degrees and misty/light rain, I was wearing a long sleeve technical race tee. Today it's 37 degrees with high winds, I'm wearing long sleeve compression, jacket, and and ear band. It's supposed to be cold and windy here this week.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
27 miles completed in the Lake Martin 50/27 Ultra, killed a beer, and then ran 3 more miles to make it a true 50K - 30 miles. I placed 5th in the 27. I was a little upset since my IT bands shut me down at 21 or 22 and I had to walk a lot more, I think I could have taken 3rd place since I was running with 3rd and 4th place and they werent strong, just stronger then my IT bands. Oy!

Nick was right, this crew was a different breed of people and I loved it. Once I completed the 27, a few of the crew that I had met the night before encouraged me to finish the 3 more miles of a true 50K. "Even if you have to walk it, just do it, you will not regret it". So, off I went. Hobbled a bunch since I quit moving for about 30 minutes while drinking a beer. When I ran back into camp from the opposite direction (not to get in the way of the finish or draw attention to myself, they were all waiting and watching and cheered me in with bigger congrats for that accomplishment. Just a great crowd and makes you never want to do events with hundreds/thousands of people. There was 75 runners.

3,000 feet elevation gain on awesome single track and some service roads of red Alabama dirt. See below.

Cool pics in Scenes from the Road thread. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/scenes-from-the-road.857226/page-4#post-5390896

View attachment 28727

Alabama Red dirt. A friend thought my legs were bleeding when I got home. LOL
View attachment 28728

The best shoe on the market. I had 15 miles on them going into this event and they were awesome.
View attachment 28729
Excellent work my friend. We shall catch up later...

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Mt. Tammany 40 miler on Saturday. 7 out of 10 loops completed, just around 30 miles. I went into this race with my 500 on my mind, and took the run conservatively. I made the decision to just do 5-6 loops because of the cracking my skull open before my big race. Bigger fish to reel in. But I ended up doing 7.

Two miles up a mountain and two miles down a mountain, running back to HQ to check in every 2 loops.

We started with headlamps, slowly grinding up the mountain, pushing our hands off our thighs, heads down. Then the rocks. The rocks did not stop. We climbed washing machine sized boulders, all jagged and sharp, up the cliffs of a mountain. No running could be done. Just jagged rocks and climbing. Glad I wore gloves. 0.75 miles up we were all huffing and puffing. Did I mention there was ice too? Yeah, ice on a few ridge lines, where if we fell, something was getting broken, and def blood spill. Climbing felt like it took forever. Whenever we got over some boulders, more rocks awaited, ripping our shoes apart.

At the summit we took a very short up and down to the other side of the mountain. Tis short section was just a river of bowling ball sized rocks, no ground, just rocks, twisting our ankles.

Once we started the decent, that's when the real pain came: a waterfall of , yup you guessed it, more jagged rocks off the side of a cliff which we "ran" down, but that side of the mountain was covered in ice. I kept the brakes on and had to use trees to slam into. The hammering my quads and calves took on the decent made 13 miles of this course feel like I had just run 100 miles. Just a sheer drop off the side of a mountain. It was brutal, and prob stupid of me to enter.
I twisted my ankle on the 6th loop. I fell and jacked my right shoulder on the 7th loop, and said, "if i fall one more time trying to finish this just to finish, I'm going to break something and not be able to run the 500..." Which thankfully does not have this kind of technical terrain.

I pulled out, drank a beer and cheered the other people who dropped, and the few others that finished; experts on this course from doing it in previous years. For my efforts, they gave me a rock from the course mounted onto a nice base, which i have to bring back next year to have my name plate mounted on...i f---ing hate rocks...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kristia

Mt. Tammany 40 miler on Saturday. 7 out of 10 loops completed, just around 30 miles....
That sounds like one insane race! Good job on keeping most of your body intact! :) That second pic is beautiful. Hard to believe there are spots like that in Jersey since all I ever see is flat. I keep thinking that Dan and I need to take a trip up that way sometime. Good job!

JillC LI

@JillC LI, it's Ray Zahab who is helping me focus. You can google him or "Running the Sahara." His distances are FAR; hundreds of miles, even thousands of miles in just one race, and in extreme conditions.
I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting him last year at Beast of Burden 100, and we've stayed in contact since then.

That's really cool, Nick. I hope he helps you keep the end in sight.

Mt. Tammany 40 miler on Saturday. 7 out of 10 loops completed, just around 30 miles. I went into this race with my 500 on my mind, and took the run conservatively. I made the decision to just do 5-6 loops because of the cracking my skull open before my big race. Bigger fish to reel in. But I ended up doing 7. ]

Geez Nick, you never fail to impress. Did you run with your new coach or on your own?

I did the Cherry Blossom 10K in Macon today in a light rain. Right after I finished we got a full downpour and there was thunder to the north. But this was all pavement.

And it was a new PR for me. 61:35 and a 9:58 pace. I was shooting for under an hour but I'll take it. First time I've been under a 10-minute pace.

Oops, I just checked the results and I finished 2nd in my age group. Didn't stay for the medals. :rolleyes:

Congrats on that PR and the age group finish! I hope they mail you your medal.

Sounds like an amazing experience. You're a true Ultra runner now, Joel. And 5th place - wow! You still look pretty energetic in that pic with the beer at the end of the race! Were Sam and the kids there to cheer you on?

As for me, 7 miles on Saturday morning - it seemed the wind was in my face no matter which way I turned. Ugh. Short run later today before overeating at our Passover Seder :) Happy holiday to anyone celebrating tonight.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Felt great today after a few days rest, went for a pre dawn run. It was around 30 degrees. 13.1 miles in 1.41. Still had loads left in the tank.
Nice work and I love having gas left in the tank. Makes you feel really good!
Sounds like an amazing experience. You're a true Ultra runner now, Joel. And 5th place - wow! You still look pretty energetic in that pic with the beer at the end of the race! Were Sam and the kids there to cheer you on?

As for me, 7 miles on Saturday morning - it seemed the wind was in my face no matter which way I turned. Ugh. Short run later today before overeating at our Passover Seder :) Happy holiday to anyone celebrating tonight.
It all happened so fast. I guess I was having such a good time with the company and the sights, 5 hours went by so quick. I really wasnt "tired" in the celebration pic, my IT bands were shot. I could have gone another 10. Just like last month in my other road full. So, it is back to getting those things stronger.

No, they didnt come to this one. It was about 1.5 hours away and there wasnt a thing for a 1 & 4 year old to do there except sit and wait. Besides, a few other factors played in. !) It was raining and expected bad weather 2) I had never run this course, so there was no gauge of when I thought Id finish 3) I love for family to be at a finish line, however, if they arent begging to be there, I just would rather them do their thing that day and Ill catch up to them later because I dont like having that anxiety of knowing they are at the finish, waiting for me... and I might have to walk more, take more time etc, are the kids bored, are they giving Sam fits....

Have a great holiday Jill. and nice run regardless of the wind. I hate having a head wind in an out n back. LOL.

joel_maxwell

Mt. Tammany 40 miler on Saturday. 7 out of 10 loops completed, just around 30 miles. I went into this race with my 500 on my mind, and took the run conservatively. I made the decision to just do 5-6 loops because of the cracking my skull open before my big race. Bigger fish to reel in. But I ended up doing 7.

Two miles up a mountain and two miles down a mountain, running back to HQ to check in every 2 loops.

We started with headlamps, slowly grinding up the mountain, pushing our hands off our thighs, heads down. Then the rocks. The rocks did not stop. We climbed washing machine sized boulders, all jagged and sharp, up the cliffs of a mountain. No running could be done. Just jagged rocks and climbing. Glad I wore gloves. 0.75 miles up we were all huffing and puffing. Did I mention there was ice too? Yeah, ice on a few ridge lines, where if we fell, something was getting broken, and def blood spill. Climbing felt like it took forever. Whenever we got over some boulders, more rocks awaited, ripping our shoes apart.

At the summit we took a very short up and down to the other side of the mountain. Tis short section was just a river of bowling ball sized rocks, no ground, just rocks, twisting our ankles.

Once we started the decent, that's when the real pain came: a waterfall of , yup you guessed it, more jagged rocks off the side of a cliff which we "ran" down, but that side of the mountain was covered in ice. I kept the brakes on and had to use trees to slam into. The hammering my quads and calves took on the decent made 13 miles of this course feel like I had just run 100 miles. Just a sheer drop off the side of a mountain. It was brutal, and prob stupid of me to enter.
I twisted my ankle on the 6th loop. I fell and jacked my right shoulder on the 7th loop, and said, "if i fall one more time trying to finish this just to finish, I'm going to break something and not be able to run the 500..." Which thankfully does not have this kind of technical terrain.

I pulled out, drank a beer and cheered the other people who dropped, and the few others that finished; experts on this course from doing it in previous years. For my efforts, they gave me a rock from the course mounted onto a nice base, which i have to bring back next year to have my name plate mounted on...i f---ing hate rocks...
They should add mountaineering to the description to this event. Looks fun... in a rocky terrain kind of way. LOL.

7 out of 10 loops and all I got was this lousy f---ing rock.

Way to run smart. No use in hurting yourself for your main goal.

JillC LI

It all happened so fast. I guess I was having such a good time with the company and the sights, 5 hours went by so quick. I really wasnt "tired" in the celebration pic, my IT bands were shot. I could have gone another 10. Just like last month in my other road full. So, it is back to getting those things stronger.

No, they didnt come to this one. It was about 1.5 hours away and there wasnt a thing for a 1 & 4 year old to do there except sit and wait. Besides, a few other factors played in. !) It was raining and expected bad weather 2) I had never run this course, so there was no gauge of when I thought Id finish 3) I love for family to be at a finish line, however, if they arent begging to be there, I just would rather them do their thing that day and Ill catch up to them later because I dont like having that anxiety of knowing they are at the finish, waiting for me... and I might have to walk more, take more time etc, are the kids bored, are they giving Sam fits....

Have a great holiday Jill. and nice run regardless of the wind. I hate having a head wind in an out n back. LOL.

It's great that you had som much energy though. I understand about the pressure of knowing people are waiting for you at the finish line although the support is nice. I hope your IT bands aren't suffering too much in the aftermath.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
That's really cool, Nick. I hope he helps you keep the end in sight.

Geez Nick, you never fail to impress. Did you run with your new coach or on your own?

No, but I did run with one of my pacers for the 500 mile. Great guy and a much better ultrarunner than me. A pacer should always be equal to or greater than. But I did beat him at BoB100 last year by almost an hour!

joel_maxwell

It's great that you had som much energy though. I understand about the pressure of knowing people are waiting for you at the finish line although the support is nice. I hope your IT bands aren't suffering too much in the aftermath.
Naaah. I thnk they will be ok. They havent hurt in 2 days, but i havent really exercised them. I have been taking a few days off. My quads werent use to the downhill and they are very banged up. I will start doing certain things to rectify that. After my Tri's, there is a July 24th 18 mile trail run at our state park with the same group. Count me in!

Tomorrow last day to sleep in (till 6:50 LOL) and then Thursday weights and cycling, Friday swimming.

Kristia

3 miles today. Quite a difference from yesterday to today! Yesterday snowy, rainy, cold raw yuck! Today started out chilly but ended the day with sunny and 50 degrees. Hopefully spring has finally sprung!

Mr mom

Yesterday: 416 floors on the stairclimber with a 50lb bag on my back

Today: 20+ miles on the trails. Hilly and muddy...and no f'ing rocks.

Quads are completely trashed from Saturday.

Holy crap, I was going to talk about being sore from my workouts and runs this week but after reading this I'm surprised you are even alive,lol

Mr mom

3 miles today. Quite a difference from yesterday to today! Yesterday snowy, rainy, cold raw yuck! Today started out chilly but ended the day with sunny and 50 degrees. Hopefully spring has finally sprung!

Running in the same crap this week, today was rain mixed with snow and then snow mixed with rain etc. Cold and damp all in one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom