What did you do?

JillC LI

On the way home from work saw a guy jogging with regular tennis shoes and breathing really hard. He was out there trying. Much respect.

I had an odd sighting during my last run. I was running through my neighborhood when I heard loud footsteps running behind me but on the other side of the street. I turned to look, and there was a man running in gray jeans, tennis-type shoes, a dirty long-sleeve flannel button-down shirt not tucked in, and hair and a beard like Grizzly Adams - crazy long and gray and not remotely kempt. I mean the guy looked homeless, and certainly not a runner. I would have been concerned for my safety, but it was mid-day, and there were tons of cars on the road, and the guy didn't seem focused on me as he ran down the sidewalk across from me. He passed me and ran slightly in front of me for several blocks, and then he stopped to walk. I kept running, turned a corner, and didn't see him again. It was weird.

I have a countdown calculator on one of my browser tabs here at work and refresh it every morning. 36 days!! Yesterday, I ordered our PhotoPass+ and rented a stroller for the chicklets during our trip. Not much left for me to do.....except all the Christmas stuff, start planning DS's party (12 days after our return from Disney), and oh yeah........packing for Disney. Lemme get through Christmas first.....

Yes, this is me to a t!! And rest?? ha. I have an almost 3 year-old and a 4.5 year old. At least they keep each other entertained (when they're not beating the cr@p out of each other). :rolleyes:

Thanks! After two morning (Mon and today), I think it's already a routine. LOL I'm thinking if I can do mornings 2-3x a week and then a longer run on weekends, I might actually be ready for the Disney 5K in 6 weeks. ;)

Yay, 36 days for you. One week for me!!!! I'm dying to start packing, but I can't even pull out the suitcases from the attic because we don't want to give anything away to the kids. If they saw piles of summer clothes in my bedroom, they'd wonder about that too!

Glad that you're getting into the morning routine. And LOL re "rest days" with young kids and also about them entertaining each other when they're not killing each other! That's my house to a T (although as they get older - Girl 11 and Boy 13 - they seem to be playing together less and less because their interests are so divergent. At least we all still love WDW!

dreamfinder

You're right about what the experts say, but I ascribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, and would rather not try to significantly change my running form at this stage, especially given my (lack of) speed. On the bright side, my heel was feeling a tad better yesterday when I went out to run, so I was able to return to my normal stride. In fact, my pace was pretty fast for me - 9:27 min/mile for 4.5 miles. The heel injury is not healing fast at all though, and the pain still comes and goes, so I think I'm going to be dealing with this for awhile.

Yeah. The big change is the downside. Definitely would need to figure like 4-6 weeks to do it properly. Luckily I got to do it when I was in PT, so my mileage was down already, worked out well. Some people make the switch, but then can never find that happy spot in their stride again. May just be the fact that they ran one way for a decade or more, and now it will take another 5-10 years to get used to the new form, but it isn't for everyone.

I had an odd sighting during my last run. I was running through my neighborhood when I heard loud footsteps running behind me but on the other side of the street. I turned to look, and there was a man running in gray jeans, tennis-type shoes, a dirty long-sleeve flannel button-down shirt not tucked in, and hair and a beard like Grizzly Adams - crazy long and gray and not remotely kempt. I mean the guy looked homeless, and certainly not a runner. I would have been concerned for my safety, but it was mid-day, and there were tons of cars on the road, and the guy didn't seem focused on me as he ran down the sidewalk across from me. He passed me and ran slightly in front of me for several blocks, and then he stopped to walk. I kept running, turned a corner, and didn't see him again. It was weird.

Forrest Gump?

Good to see everyone sticking with it. Today was a 1000 in 3:46, 2000 in 8:14, 1000 in 3:46, 1000 in 3:46 with 400RI between each.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just under 25 miles.

Getting back to my consecutive days of long distance. The pain is coming back and I'm loving it.

Shooting for another 200 mile week pretty soon.

Seeing some great numbers from everyone in terms of distance and speed, so keep at it. If you get comfortable with your accomplishments, go longer or faster and get some pain!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just under 25 miles.

Getting back to my consecutive days of long distance. The pain is coming back and I'm loving it.

Shooting for another 200 mile week pretty soon.

Seeing some great numbers from everyone in terms of distance and speed, so keep at it. If you get comfortable with your accomplishments, go longer or faster and get some pain!
Amen brother.

a2grafix

Ran just under 3 miles, about 2.75 last night after work, in the dark, through the streets of Downtown Memphis in a modified 5K-ish from the 5K I ran last weekend. Wasn't feeling it, but made it though but ran near St. Jude Hospital in the other direction. Weird to run down a barren Beale Street, just like running down a barren Bourbon Street or in the middle of Times Square when Superstorm Sandy hit - no foot traffic.

Definitely "the sickness" making its way around the newsroom. We identified "patient zero" but he didn't fess up. Luckily I don't have it bad, some some sniffles, a slight cough and a stuffy nose. I've got the flu shot and have been training and running, so I'm doing well but I am not immune. CDC says the South and Mid-South has got the flu bad and it's started early (thanks Mayans!). Pretty sure I got a touch of what was going on. We did have a full newsroom but with the flu, we are down to a skeleton crew.

Should be ready to step it up next week when I start dedicating my training to the Jan. 20, 2013 Louisiana half.

joel_maxwell

Ran just under 3 miles, about 2.75 last night after work, in the dark, through the streets of Downtown Memphis in a modified 5K-ish from the 5K I ran last weekend. Wasn't feeling it, but made it though but ran near St. Jude Hospital in the other direction. Weird to run down a barren Beale Street, just like running down a barren Bourbon Street or in the middle of Times Square when Superstorm Sandy hit - no foot traffic.

Definitely "the sickness" making its way around the newsroom. We identified "patient zero" but he didn't fess up. Luckily I don't have it bad, some some sniffles, a slight cough and a stuffy nose. I've got the flu shot and have been training and running, so I'm doing well but I am not immune. CDC says the South and Mid-South has got the flu bad and it's started early (thanks Mayans!). Pretty sure I got a touch of what was going on. We did have a full newsroom but with the flu, we are down to a skeleton crew.

Should be ready to step it up next week when I start dedicating my training to the Jan. 20, 2013 Louisiana half.
There is a girl at work that is the sickest human being i know. Her kids are always sick too. We have told her that since she is always having sinus infections etc, they should get their house checked for mold. She hasnt. She is always up in here sick.

Meanwhile, I know that multi vitamins are controversial from the standpoint of "Do they actually help" and I know there is supporting data on both sides, but I still take a multi vitamin daily, on days I feel a little puny Ill take some extra C, and every day I take an off brand allergy pill. No drowsy.

To this day, I havent been sick in over 3 years, and before that it was about 4. That is with kids too. Every body is different and immune systems are different, but coming from a recovering mild germ-a-phobe, I say bring on the germs. Let me build that good immunity.

joel_maxwell

5.5 miles this morning at around 47 min. I noticed after the fact that I was supposed to start increasing my middle of the week runs (today was supposedly 7). I havent been looking at my schedule since I was running way more than it called for, but I messed up today. It evens out because Im supposed to run 11 this weekend and Ill probably do 15.

Swimming in the am. Woot!

JillC LI

Forrest Gump?

Yes! That's who he looked like at - near the end of Forrest's run where he was all hairy!

There is a girl at work that is the sickest human being i know. Her kids are always sick too. We have told her that since she is always having sinus infections etc, they should get their house checked for mold. She hasnt. She is always up in here sick.

Meanwhile, I know that multi vitamins are controversial from the standpoint of "Do they actually help" and I know there is supporting data on both sides, but I still take a multi vitamin daily, on days I feel a little puny Ill take some extra C, and every day I take an off brand allergy pill. No drowsy.

To this day, I havent been sick in over 3 years, and before that it was about 4. That is with kids too. Every body is different and immune systems are different, but coming from a recovering mild germ-a-phobe, I say bring on the germs. Let me build that good immunity.

I used to get sick all the time, and then when I started running regularly, I rarely got sick. They say that regular exercise helps the immune system, and I believe it because the week I couldn't run after Hurricane Sandy, I got sick! (Then again, that also might have had something to do with the fact that my house was 50 degrees without heat. LOL.)

Anyway, as for me, 3.65 miles this morning on TM. Speedwork. Cut on heel still hurts but sticking with it.

joel_maxwell

Yes! That's who he looked like at - near the end of Forrest's run where he was all hairy!

I used to get sick all the time, and then when I started running regularly, I rarely got sick. They say that regular exercise helps the immune system, and I believe it because the week I couldn't run after Hurricane Sandy, I got sick! (Then again, that also might have had something to do with the fact that my house was 50 degrees without heat. LOL.)

Anyway, as for me, 3.65 miles this morning on TM. Speedwork. Cut on heel still hurts but sticking with it.
This girl isnt fit nor works out. To each his own, but Ill just say that she refers to both DVR's in the house are full all the time and she has to keep up constantly on her shows to keep them from filling up. No one that watches that much TV can be a runner too, on top of having 2 kids under 5. LOL. No one.

My running shoes might be extremely expensive, but 3 times to the doctor and co-pays has them paid for. Just sayin.

joel_maxwell

Swimming this morning. 11 down and backs, 22 lengths. FINALLY started being about to breath on my left side. I sent a goal to work on that today and I can do it without freaking out, raising my torso and pulling my head out of the water. 80% mental. maybe 90%.

Long run tomorrow.

a2grafix

Traveled back to northern Ohio to see the family, decided to go for a run, likely 2 while I am visiting.

Went from warm upper 60s in Memphis to mid-30s east of Cleveland. Brrr. Ran in shorts but sort of bundled up with a sweatshirt, but got warm really quick. Felt okay. Ran 3.50 miles in about 35 minutes. Slight wind. Gray clouds. It's winter. Good thing it's not snowing, yet. Got me a taste of what is coming when I return to the Mid-South.

JillC LI

Swimming this morning. 11 down and backs, 22 lengths. FINALLY started being about to breath on my left side. I sent a goal to work on that today and I can do it without freaking out, raising my torso and pulling my head out of the water. 80% mental. maybe 90%.

It's amazing how much you've accomplished with your swimming since you started training it. Good job.

As for me, leaving work soon and heading straight out to do 7 miles in the rain because I have an insanely busy weekend on tap and won't have a chance to get in a longer run otherwise - including the BIG REVEAL to the kids tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!! (Gonna try to secretly take video.)

joel_maxwell

It's amazing how much you've accomplished with your swimming since you started training it. Good job.

As for me, leaving work soon and heading straight out to do 7 miles in the rain because I have an insanely busy weekend on tap and won't have a chance to get in a longer run otherwise - including the BIG REVEAL to the kids tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!! (Gonna try to secretly take video.)
Holy cow. i forgot about the big reveal. Happy Hanukkah Jill. I wish you would post that video, but I understand privacy etc. It would just be a preview into what my girls will do one day when we do that same. I hope it goes off without a hitch. I know it has been killing you.

I appreciate the kind words. It has been a long "teach myself" journey and Im far from my goal of swimming more efficiently. It is taking longer than expected with me only swimming once a week. I put things into perspective to myself when i get frustrated that im still a little gassed when i complete a down and back. It would be like only running once a week and wondering why 1 mile kicks my butt. I guess it is the same. I plan on losing the weight lifting on Tuesday's I think (upper body) and swimming instead. 2 swim days.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I appreciate the kind words. It has been a long "teach myself" journey and Im far from my goal of swimming more efficiently. It is taking longer than expected with me only swimming once a week. I put things into perspective to myself when i get frustrated that im still a little gassed when i complete a down and back. It would be like only running once a week and wondering why 1 mile kicks my butt. I guess it is the same. I plan on losing the weight lifting on Tuesday's I think (upper body) and swimming instead. 2 swim days.

There is a swimming club that one of my ultrarunning buddies belongs to (she's swimming exclusively since the ultra distance has destroyed her body, and the 100 miler has eluded her, finishing with a couple of DNFs in a row).
Anyway, her club is ultra-distance, open-water swimming...I collapse just thinking about swimming a few meters, forget 13 miles in open water #hurl

joel_maxwell

There is a swimming club that one of my ultrarunning buddies belongs to (she's swimming exclusively since the ultra distance has destroyed her body, and the 100 miler has eluded her, finishing with a couple of DNFs in a row).
Anyway, her club is ultra-distance, open-water swimming...I collapse just thinking about swimming a few meters, forget 13 miles in open water #hurl
13 miles swimming. That is insane. Some people cant even walk that.

joel_maxwell

15.5 miles this morning. It was light rain the whole way. Very nice treat since it was a miserable 60 out at 6am. The rain really helped and the overcast.

I added 2 hills and some more streets to my route. 1000+ vertical feet climbed, 1,729 feet ascended and 1,731 descended (wow, so close), and 2,000 calories (which means its beer time)

Cheers everyone!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
4 miles last night after work.

I'm sitting here at the computer now, watching it snow outside, and wish I could go outside and run while it's actually falling....but my wife works this morning, and I don't think it's a good idea to take both girls out in the snow for multiple miles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom