What did you do?

Texas84

So my cousin thought a 5K at 5PM in Georgia in July was a good idea. I ran two 10-minute miles possibly on my way to a PR then ran past people having a cookout in their front yard. After inhaling burnt lighter fluid I was pretty much done. Ended up with a 33. But the reward was beer from the sponsor, Jailhouse Brewing Co in Hampton GA. Sampled their stout, wheat and ale. Good stuff!

Hampton5K2012s3.jpg

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
6.20 miles yesterday morning. It was about 75 at 6:30am and 89% humidity. Seems about right for 10pm September 29th.

Then off to the barn for some equestrian lovin. Ok, I didnt ride, but there is something extremely therapeutic about rubbing and hugging on a 1,000 pound horse.

Kristia

6.20 miles yesterday morning. It was about 75 at 6:30am and 89% humidity. Seems about right for 10pm September 29th.

Then off to the barn for some equestrian lovin. Ok, I didnt ride, but there is something extremely therapeutic about rubbing and hugging on a 1,000 pound horse.
I wholeheartedly agree! I am lucky enough to be able to do that everyday. Will be doing some riding later today too. Not often we have an 80 degree day in the middle of summer. Have to take advantage of it! Not to mention dressage is a great core workout!

Kristia

Friday - 4.5 miles (well...ran the first 4, was hit with a really painful stomachache, then walked the last 0.5 :()
Yesterday - Lift/plyos routine, then saw Brave
Today - 6.5 miles @ 10:18...slower than I wanted, but that's what I had in me today. Oh well.

Two things about today's run:
1. Took my iPod with me (which I rarely do anymore) and put on some Disney music. A bit from (I think) the Magical Express area in the airport and a bit from Epcot, so that was a nice change.
2. I actually found myself in the middle of the running portion of a triathlon at one point. I absolutely would have crossed to the other side of the street, but it was hot out and the race was on the side that is almost 100% shaded...the other side has pretty much no shade. So I ran in the grass (when I was running the same direction as the runners) and ran way to the right when I was running toward them to give them a pretty wide berth. The volunteers offered me water a few times (I declined, of course) and the race officials didn't say anything except "Have a good run!"...so hopefully I didn't break any major runner etiquette rules. :oops:
That must have been a crazy feeling running with a race you weren't doing! :) No chance of that happening where I am. Well I guess I could get caught in a bike race. We get quite a few of them in this area but I think I would get way out of the way from them!!

Kristia

5.72 miles today - 10:52 pace. It is such a great weekend here in Jersey. Low humidity, great temps! If only all my summer runs could have this weather!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I run in a whole week what Nick does on a short run!

Its interesting looking at the reports on the Garmin. Since I got it in December I've run 572.14 miles- that's more than the entire length of the UK.

Ha! I pulled back this week with a total of 120 miles Mon-Fri. I can usually get in about 135-145 miles a week. My highest week was just aroun 200 miles, but that was only once. When McN500 rolls around, I'll be trying to complete that in 7 days.
Last year's total (March2011-2012 ) was just a little ovet 6,000 miles I think. An

dreamfinder

All of last week was kind of a wash. Legs never felt quite right. Sat ended up being 7mi outdoors at night, Sun was 3mi on TM then switched to 15mi on the bike. Just don't feel right. Way short on what I should have done.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'm trying hard to stick to Galloway's plan, but I'm being forced to change it around, doing the long runs in the middle of the week lately. I jumped out and did a 5 miler out of the plan last week. I'm probably going to go for about 3 tonight after work. I have the kids in the morning, and by the time they are awake and fed, this midwest heatwave is already cranked way up. The bad part is that i live outside the city, so I have streets to run on, but no street lights. I really need to get a headlamp.

joel_maxwell

I wholeheartedly agree! I am lucky enough to be able to do that everyday. Will be doing some riding later today too. Not often we have an 80 degree day in the middle of summer. Have to take advantage of it! Not to mention dressage is a great core workout!
Sam wants to get a good trail Gelding, but also wants to do things like dressage. I just need a "husband horse" as they call it. Easy gate, maybe a little dumb, easy going and just keep it between the ditches type horse.

So what kind of elevation of you talking when you do hills?
I started at a 58 ft elevation and the highest point was 164 ft. It's about a 1/2 mile climb.
Very nice. I bet that hill seemed like the longest 1/2 mile ever huh? Proud of you. My old long route was 2.25 miles uphill to start the run. I chose that route a long time ago because Nashville marathon had a section that was 3 miles long and all uphill or on an incline.

In my old neighborhood, these are two examples of elevation change:

13 miles run with Big hills:
Vertical Elevation Gain:1,191 ft
Vertical Elevation Loss:1,162 ft
Min Elevation:666 ft
Max Elevation:1,087 ft

5 Mile run with normal hills:
Vertical Elevation Gain:293 ft
Vertical Elevation Loss:303 ft
Min Elevation:679 ft
Max Elevation:845 ft

My new neighborhood has a monster hill on the mtn about a mile away, but I havent tackled that yet. In about another month Im going to hit it. This is a normal run there:

Vertical Elevation Gain:332 ft
Elevation Loss:331 ft
Min Elevation:800 ft
Max Elevation:958 ft

fmingo36

It's
Sam wants to get a good trail Gelding, but also wants to do things like dressage. I just need a "husband horse" as they call it. Easy gate, maybe a little dumb, easy going and just keep it between the ditches type horse.

Very nice. I bet that hill seemed like the longest 1/2 mile ever huh? Proud of you. My old long route was 2.25 miles uphill to start the run. I chose that route a long time ago because Nashville marathon had a section that was 3 miles long and all uphill or on an incline.

In my old neighborhood, these are two examples of elevation change:

13 miles run with Big hills:
Vertical Elevation Gain:1,191 ft
Vertical Elevation Loss:1,162 ft
Min Elevation:666 ft
Max Elevation:1,087 ft

Vertical Elevation Gain:293 ft
Vertical Elevation Loss:303 ft
Min Elevation:679 ft
Max Elevation:845 ft

My new neighborhood has a monster hill on the mtn about a mile away, but I havent tackled that yet. In about another month Im going to hit it. This is a normal run there:

Vertical Elevation Gain:332 ft
Elevation Loss:331 ft
Min Elevation:800 ft
Max Elevation:958 ft

The hill is at the start of my run (usually on a 5 -8 mile day). I really like it because it pushed me at the start and keeps me (& my hubby) from pacing too quickly at the beginning of the run.

If I head out the opposite direction for my run, it's just rolling hills for about 2.5 miles. Nothing too steep.

joel_maxwell

It's

The hill is at the start of my run (usually on a 5 -8 mile day). I really like it because it pushed me at the start and keeps me (& my hubby) from pacing too quickly at the beginning of the run.

If I head out the opposite direction for my run, it's just rolling hills for about 2.5 miles. Nothing too steep.
As you know, hills make the difference in a good performance in an event, and a great one. Im very excited that my new area has them. I would almost feel cheated if I didnt get to run them.

fmingo36

As you know, hills make the difference in a good performance in an event, and a great one. Im very excited that my new area has them. I would almost feel cheated if I didnt get to run them.

When we were running up it I said to Chris--those on/off ramps at Disney have nothing on this hill!

Kristia

Luckily my horse is a good all-arounder. We are just learning dressage and taking lessons for that but he is a good trail horse too and we taught him to drive. My husband bought a horse 2 years ago (a baby Clydesdale). We are training him for riding and driving but he won't be an all-arounder for a little while yet! Hoping he will be totally husband safe soon.

joel_maxwell

When we were running up it I said to Chris--those on/off ramps at Disney have nothing on this hill!
Yep! They really dont, and when those "ramps" break down average runners (and below average) and you keep the pace or better yet, slightly accelerate to get up and over that hill, it will make you feel like a million bucks!
Luckily my horse is a good all-arounder. We are just learning dressage and taking lessons for that but he is a good trail horse too and we taught him to drive. My husband bought a horse 2 years ago (a baby Clydesdale). We are training him for riding and driving but he won't be an all-arounder for a little while yet! Hoping he will be totally husband safe soon.
Very important. The husband horse at the barn we are at is 16.5 hands tall. I wont ride a whimpy horse. They have a female Clydesdale too. She looks like Merida's (Brave) horse.... at least that is what Isabeau (my 4 year old daughter) thinks. :)

JillC LI

Have you tried taking osteo biflex or other glucosamine supplement? I know its a bit controversial as to whether it actually works or not. I had some knee issuses awhile back and took the supplement for the recommended 3 months and my knees have been great ever since. I don't know how much of my increased strength can be attributed to the osteo biflex as opposed to just becoming stronger from running and strength training though. It might be something worth asking you Doc about. :)

After my ankle surgery in 2003, my surgeon suggested I might want to try glucosamine and chondroitin supplements although nothing had been proven. I tried them for a few weeks, and when he asked me if I felt any difference, I said no, so he said no point in continuing them then.

Dare I say an easy 7 miles today at a 10 min. pace. For the first time since I started running I really feel that my strength and endurance have built up. It feels good to be a runner today.

That's a great feeling, isn't it!

As for me, 6 miles at the crack of dawn before work on Friday so that I could go away to Boston with the family this weekend where I wouldn't have time to run. :)

JillC LI

I didn't know you guys rode. I'm jealous! I rode in college and competed as an Advanced Beginner/Intermediate level rider on the collegiate circuit. Such fun! I really miss it. No horse of my own and no where to ride regularly. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom