What did you do?

AUPr8Hd

Working from the house today. I decided to take a "break" and do a quick interval workout. 5x400m with a 1:30 rest between. Paces were 8:31, 9:01, 9:06, 8:53 and 10:43. The last 400m was up the "big" hill in our neighborhood. Thus, the major drop in pace.

I had wanted to keep the pace in the 9:00 range. Hoping the paces will be a little more consistent as the training progresses into the summer.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Came across this bit of info in an e-newsletter that I get, and I thought all you runners would appreciate it:

Exercise really does increase brainpower

Anecdotal evidence has long suggested that physical activity can improve mental functioning. Now, a recent study reported in the New York Times Magazine has proven it.

Scientists at the University of Illinois started with four randomly selected groups of rats. One group had an exercise wheel. One had various "mentally stimulating" toys. The third group had both, while the last group had neither. After several months, the four sets of rats were tested for brain tissue development and cognitive ability (e.g. navigating a maze).

The researchers had expected the "toys" groups to do best because the toys were directly focused on mental development. But that's not what happened. Toys, or lack of toys, seemed to have no effect at all. Instead, it was physical exercise that made all the difference!

Justin S. Rhodes, the lead scientist explained it this way: "Only one thing mattered, and that's whether they had a running wheel." Animals that didn't run — no matter how enriched their world was otherwise — did not improve their brainpower. "They loved the toys, but unless they exercised, they did not become smarter."

Just something to think about the next time you're debating between a crossword puzzle and a workout video!​

I have to say, I'm really glad now that I've taken up that Couch to 5K program! It's three weeks til the 5K that I'm signed up for, and I'm only in Week 3 of the 8-week program, so I may not make the whole thing running, but I know that I'll be smarter for having done it! :lol:

And congratulations on your PR, Eeyore! ;) :wave:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Mowed the lawn and gave myself a rest day for tomorrow's IBU 50 miler. We start at 3am. Made new modifications to my pack and vest...
I plan on running hard around mile 35-40.

Run strong folks.

fmingo36

I have had a busy week with NO TIME to get in any training :mad:.
Tonight things settled down and I finally got to the gym. I managed 1 hr. of yoga, 1/2 core workout and 4 miles on the treadmill. BAM! It felt good to sweat!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Supposed to run in Madison tomorrow for the Crazylegs Classic.

There are a few problems with that plan.

It's going to rain...a lot...

...which wouldn't be a problem, except it's going to be 40 (or below) at race time....and windy....

...plus my ankle is still hurting pretty bad from my 1/2 marathon last week for whatever reason, and this course has some pretty big hills.

Unfortunately, after conferring with my smarter side (my wife), I've decided to sit this one out to get the ankle healed up so we can begin full marathon training soon.

lukacseven

Just registered for the Runner's World Hat Trick...October 21-22:
Saturday 5K @ 8:00 am, 10K @ 9:30
Sunday half marathon @ 8:30

Call it a poor man's Goofy Challenge, but apparently it's a very hilly course.

Mad Stitch

10 miles today. I often find myself in agony while I'm running wondering why I am even doing this, then 15 minutes after I'm done I'm thinking it wasn't that bad. :D

Ariel484

Just registered for the Runner's World Hat Trick...October 21-22:
Saturday 5K @ 8:00 am, 10K @ 9:30
Sunday half marathon @ 8:30

Call it a poor man's Goofy Challenge, but apparently it's a very hilly course.

I am doing something similar-ish this weekend...10-mile race today and a 5K tomorrow. Not even close to Goofy and reversed with the longer race first, but it still marks the first time I have had races 2 days in a row.

The 10-miler today was a new PR for me: 1:39:07! :sohappy: The first time I ran this race was in 2010 (2:00), and I ran it again last year (1:54), so I am very happy with my time. I was stupid though and arrived at the race only 15 minutes before the start. :mad: Never again! :hammer:

Tomorrow is a 5k that benefits our local animal shelter (dogs are welcome on the 5k course...should be interesting), followed by a 1-, 2- or 3-mile dog walk, which will be my dog's first "race." I am really looking forward to it. :)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
50 miles yesterday with another IBU member.
Woke up at 2:30 am to get a start at 4am. Right from the beginning I knew this run was going to be miserable. Had trouble getting breakfast down so early, but I had to get the calories in.
So, we set off in the dark heading north along the coast to Sandy Hook. My stomach was rumbling and it was tough to get my EFS gels down.
Hitting Sandy Hook; 25 miles, and and just under 4 hours later, we could see the NYC skyline and the new tower looks amazing.
On the turn around, we kept pretty quiet because he knew my stomach was going south. we stopped at a 7-11 in Mounmouth Beach and downed some Coke which helped perk me up and subside the nausea that was welling up.
Mile 40 the nausea and the GI issues really set in and I dropped my pace to a horrible 11:00 min, head down, and slumped over. I didn't know if I could continue. I had no muscle pain or fatigue; those normal ultra-issues I can handle, but the nausea was killing me. I was seconds from leaning over the boardwalk on the last 2.3 miles and puking everything up. But I kept shuffling forward, picked it up to a 10 min pace. We finally made it back to my house at 50.03 miles. I grabbed our IBU buckles for finishing, and I sat on the front steps drinking Powerade (since I had zero calories from mile 41 on), and forced down a bonk breaker high protein bar. I skipped my muscle recovery drink; that was not going to sit well.
Anyway, that's it; another 50 miles in 10:10 after my 21:31:45 -100 mile finish a few weeks ago. Pain, nausea, whatever, finish what you start, NO EXCUSES.
Run strong folks :wave:

Texas84

10 miles today. Running cousin and I are training to beat 2 hours for the ToT. I did 1:59 on a bum right knee. I know I can do better. I'm winding down for the summer and going into 5K mode until I start training for the Disneyland half.

fmingo36

Woke up at 2:30 am to get a start at 4am. Right from the beginning I knew this run was going to be miserable. Had trouble getting breakfast down so early, but I had to get the calories in.
So, we set off in the dark heading north along the coast to Sandy Hook. My stomach was rumbling and it was tough to get my EFS gels down.
Hitting Sandy Hook; 25 miles, and and just under 4 hours later, we could see the NYC skyline and the new tower looks amazing.
On the turn around, we kept pretty quiet because he knew my stomach was going south. we stopped at a 7-11 in Mounmouth Beach and downed some Coke which helped perk me up and subside the nausea that was welling up.
Mile 40 the nausea and the GI issues really set in and I dropped my pace to a horrible 11:00 min, head down, and slumped over. I didn't know if I could continue. I had no muscle pain or fatigue; those normal ultra-issues I can handle, but the nausea was killing me. I was seconds from leaning over the boardwalk on the last 2.3 miles and puking everything up. But I kept shuffling forward, picked it up to a 10 min pace. We finally made it back to my house at 50.03 miles. I grabbed our IBU buckles for finishing, and I sat on the front steps drinking Powerade (since I had zero calories from mile 41 on), and forced down a bonk breaker high protein bar. I skipped my muscle recovery drink; that was not going to sit well.
Anyway, that's it; another 50 miles in 10:10 after my 21:31:45 -100 mile finish a few weeks ago. Pain, nausea, whatever, finish what you start, NO EXCUSES.

Sorry to hear it was a tough run but you still did it! WAY TO GO!!!
The Machine continues to amaze us!

diddy_mouse

Sounds like a lot of you had some great results this weekend! I admire the determination.

"Ask yourself: 'Can I give more?'. The answer is usually: 'Yes'."
-Paul Tergat, Kenyan professional marathoner

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Hate you had a rough time, but we all know we would rather have a day like that then no running day at all.

joel_maxwell

3 miles today on lunch. It was 85 out and felt great to pulsate sweat in the heat again. Another thing that was good, pushed my distance from 2 to 3 with no problems. Average pace was about a 8:30-8:45.

My 1994 Rockhopper Ultra mtn bike is finally tuned up with $75 with of parts I bought a few months back. I cant wait to start riding again as well for an additional conditioning. It is so "classic', I have a RockShox on the front fork circa 1995. That was when full suspension bikes were thousands.

Mickey&Minnie

I did an hour on the bike tonight which equalled about 17 miles. I decided to throw some cross training in there even tho my marathon training plan doesn't have me doing any. i just felt that only running two days a week wasn't enough.

Anybody else agree? :shrug:

fmingo36

I did an hour on the bike tonight which equalled about 17 miles. I decided to throw some cross training in there even tho my marathon training plan doesn't have me doing any. i just felt that only running two days a week wasn't enough.

You should be running at least 3 days a week. With one run being a longer run than the others. Cross training is always good but not necessary.
I am at the gym 5 or 6 times a week but only run 3 days a week. As race dates come closer I'll add days to run and cut back on some of the other things I do (yoga, pilates, core and weights).

joel_maxwell

Even with knee issues you're way faster than me!
:lol: You never know, I might be running faster by ToT or running Coryna speed by then. Either way, Ill be happy.

I'm still trying to beat the magical 10 minute pace :eek:
We are entering summers in the south too. Both you and I will be slowed way down by this heat coming in.

Yep, a minimum of 3 days a week with a cross train in there. The biking is perfect, but you need to run 3-4 times a week to maintain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom