What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
A quick 13.25 miles this morning. My anxiety level is high because I will be traveling out of state, leaving today, and it screws up my running schedule.

I will be running of course and I will post my numbers and comments when I can.

One of the two ultramarathons I was going to run this summer, is not happening, and I will only be running the 100k ultra (62.13 miles).

Drinking early today before my flight...Cheers folks.

Oh, and, Dave, Joel, Coryna, and Jill, I'll be sending a PM to you all about something I'm putting together...until then, run your a-- off and drink up!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Me living in Birmingham, June, July August and most of September is 90 and 95+. It is hard, but I fought through it. I know it is hard, but Im not giving up on my running. I dont encourage anyone to do it since it is mildly reckless, but at the same time, I high five those that do.

Just be safe. Lots of fluids. I take my water belt on 3 mile runs. Never leave home without it in the summer.

I am big on hydration, so good for you brother. I always take at least a liter to 1.5 liters of water with at all times (hydration vest/pack). 2 liters on my long runs (30-40 milers). Yeah, it gets heavy on my back, but I get used to it.

JillC LI

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all your insight- Everest Challenge went great. Did the 5K in about 33:00. Felt great the whole time too- didn't even get sore. Maybe it was all the adrenaline in my system. Either way, Everest is a pretty sweet ride at night, even sweeter after getting the medal. :D

Today I ran for the first time since Saturday night and quickly discovered just how much more difficult it is to run in heat. It was about 83 degrees and sunny, and I made 2 miles at my 11:00/mile pace before I had to stop. Looks like I'll have to try running a little later in the evenings from now on.

Congratulations! Sounds like fun. Whenever I tell non-runners that I prefer winter running to mid-summer running, they think I'm crazy, but that heat will kill ya every time. It's the only thing that makes me drag my out of bed at 6am on a summer weekend morning - knowing that if I sleep in I won't be able to complete my run in the heat of the day.

One of the two ultramarathons I was going to run this summer, is not happening, and I will only be running the 100k ultra (62.13 miles).

Oh, and, Dave, Joel, Coryna, and Jill, I'll be sending a PM to you all about something I'm putting together...until then, run your a-- off and drink up!

ONLY huh? I was going to tease you about being lazy but I'm afraid you'll take me seriously! :ROFLOL: Looking forward to hearing what you're working on.

JillC LI

Ran 5 miles at 9:10 overall, but I was actually doing half mile intervals with half mile active recovery in between.

One mile warm up at 9:13
Three half-mile intervals, with half-mile slow runs in between: 3:50, 3:49, and 3:53
One finishing mile at 8:59

This actually piqued my interest the other day, so this morning I did a 3 mile run trying this as well. My problem is that I'm not used to speed work, and even with my Garmin, I can't get a feel for how fast I'm running and hold a steady fast pace just yet. Still, I did my "fast" half miles around 8:30-8:45m/m pace so I wound up averaging 9:27m/m overall. Gotta work on getting used to what certain speeds feel like. It's very different outside than on the treadmill where I can force a constant speed. And it's interesting how my legs don't suffer at all when I add speed but my lungs feel like they might burst by the end of the interval.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
A quick 13.25 miles this morning. My anxiety level is high because I will be traveling out of state, leaving today, and it screws up my running schedule.

I will be running of course and I will post my numbers and comments when I can.

Drinking early today before my flight...Cheers folks.

Cant wait to see what it is.

[/B]

I am big on hydration, so good for you brother. I always take at least a liter to 1.5 liters of water with at all times (hydration vest/pack). 2 liters on my long runs (30-40 milers). Yeah, it gets heavy on my back, but I get used to it.
Yep, I got caught on a 5 mile run once and all the sudden went into super thirsty, almost dehydration feel and I havent left home without it if is about 70.

dreamfinder

You should either carry water with you, or know where emergency water can be found every few miles. Heck, carry a five on you and buy a bottle at a store if needed.

I definitely notice my weekend runs starting earlier and earlier as it gets warmer. Both good and bad I guess. But much better than heatstroke.

joel_maxwell

You should either carry water with you, or know where emergency water can be found every few miles. Heck, carry a five on you and buy a bottle at a store if needed.

I definitely notice my weekend runs starting earlier and earlier as it gets warmer. Both good and bad I guess. But much better than heatstroke.
Good thing about carrying water pods or a bladder, you can stop at a gas station, water fountain or in an emergency, stop at someone house and ask to use their hose.

I even start carrying sports drinks on runs over 4 or 5 in the middle of the summer.

joel_maxwell

4 miles this afternoon. A cool 85 degrees. It was a shirtless run too. Man that felt good. Actually, it is good and bad. The sweat usually cools me off if my shirts absorbs it but obviously when you are shirtless, it evaporates and you lose that.

8:17 pace
60 pushups - 3 styles when I got back.

lpet11984

Heat Adjustment Chart from Jeff Galloway
Assuming an 8 minute pace would be the following:
55-60 degrees - 1% - 8:05
60-65 degrees - 3% - 8:15
65-70 degrees - 5% - 8:25
70-75 degrees - 7% - 8:35
75-80 degrees - 12% - 8:58
80-85 degrees - 20% - 9:35
Above 85 degrees - Forget it... run for fun

For the most part, this is dead on. Some of the lower conversion isnt to accurate with me (maybe a few second differ), but when you get up to 75-90 degrees, adding a 1:35 per mile average is correct.

Really good information-- thanks for sharing. I find this kind of stuff fascinating...

Also a good idea about bringing water. I have a camelbak I could use that should help, especially when I start running some longer distances like I hope to once school's out for summer. (I'm a music teacher.) Caught up at work the past couple days with all the end of the year crazies, but will run again this weekend and will have to try bringing it with me.

Ariel484

Thanks! Congrats to you as well.

I was shooting for 1:32:00 or less, but considering that my sinus drainage decided to start acting up on me for the majority of the race, I am happy with the time. I got another half-marathon in Cleveland this weekend so hopefully I can cut my time down by at least 4 minutes.

Me too! The sad part is that by the time I finish, you will have probably collected your finisher medal, gone home, showered, had lunch and taken a nap. :D

...no, seriously. :lookaroun

Have a great race! :wave:

Phonedave

Yep, I got caught on a 5 mile run once and all the sudden went into super thirsty, almost dehydration feel and I havent left home without it if is about 70.

I guess this is my vice.

I don't carry water. Heck, I don't carry anything except the key to my house or my car depending on where I am running. If it is a long run, some Honey Stingers.

I know, it is very very stupid. I run at night, in the winter, alongside the river, in an empty park with no light, ID, or cell phone. I don't even stop for water on a 6 mile run unless it tops 75 degrees out.

I do plan my runs to pass sources of water (park fountains or stores that sell bottled water) but sometimes they are closed or non-functional.

I also don't drink anything when I get home until I get a chance to weigh myself :D I like to see how much weight I drop on a run.

-dave

JillC LI

Woke up slightly sore today for the first time in ages. Must've been those half mile intervals I did yesterday as a result of Steve's recent post! I take soreness as a good thing though - must've been a good workout.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Really good information-- thanks for sharing. I find this kind of stuff fascinating...

Also a good idea about bringing water. I have a camelbak I could use that should help, especially when I start running some longer distances like I hope to once school's out for summer. (I'm a music teacher.) Caught up at work the past couple days with all the end of the year crazies, but will run again this weekend and will have to try bringing it with me.

Camelbaks are good but I use a Salomon and a Nathan race vest. They are much more comfortable I think. After 30 straight miles they still feel light and comfy.

GoofyRacer11

Me too! The sad part is that by the time I finish, you will have probably collected your finisher medal, gone home, showered, had lunch and taken a nap. :D

...no, seriously. :lookaround Have a great race! :wave:[/QUOTE/]

You'll do fine. Just remember that there is always someone slower than you. Besides, I plan on sticking around for a little bit.
Good luck to you as well!

scorp111

I missed this. I needed this. After 5 days without running due to 12-18 hour days at work, and a lot of unexpected situations, I am glad I made myself get out there this morning.

Really wasn't my best run, labored a bit in the middle, but at least I was running.
Splits pretty even, even able to save a little something for the final mile:
1 09:21
2 09:29
3 09:27
4 09:27
5 08:58

Plan to get out there tomorrow too.

All the best to those racing this weekend, and good fortune to those training too :)

And Jill, those 1/2 mile intervals definitely impacted my long run the next day, I do know that :)

GoofyRacer11

Finished the Cleveland Half-Marathon this morning. Still suffered from sinus problems due to the weather, but still finished in 1:34:20, which is still a PR. Despite the issues I had, I'm still happy with my run.

anc33

Finished the Cleveland Half-Marathon this morning. Still suffered from sinus problems due to the weather, but still finished in 1:34:20, which is still a PR. Despite the issues I had, I'm still happy with my run.

Congrats, that's fantastic! I can only dream that one day I will have even a sub-2 hr half time.

I did 8.5 miles on the trails this morning. It was only my second time on trails. We noticed that everyone was running in the opposite direction. We figured out toward the end why as there were a few steep uphills. I would personally rather go a little slower and do the hills as I figure it will only help to make me a better runner in the end.

lpet11984

Congrats; great job!

Camelbaks are good but I use a Salomon and a Nathan race vest. They are much more comfortable I think. After 30 straight miles they still feel light and comfy.

Will definitely keep that in mind if the Camelbak doesn't end up working out- thanks!

Did 3.3 miles yesterday in 34:00, thanks to some cooler weather. Exciting to see my pace quickening, but I keep feeling like I hit a wall around 2.5 miles. So long as I just keep my legs moving I've always been able to make it through, but as soon as I hit that 2.2-2.5 mile mark, the head games start. Gotta make it past that at some point, especially if I hope to run a half-marathon sometime. "Just keep swimming..."

scorp111

8 Slow miles on the Murfreesboro Greenway today.

Very slow pace, ran the first 5.5 miles with a co-worker who hasn't really run in 5 years. So it was run and walk, and I sort of ran in place at times. Still a good time and 1 1/2 hours on my feet with my legs moving =) . After I got him back to the parking lot, I did a quick 2.5 miles at around 9:15 pace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom