What did you do?

Phonedave

Eh, 10.51 miles this morning. It just didn't feel, like a quality run, more like going through the motions. My head has been screwing with me lately, focus is off, etc...

I had started a new log a few weeks ago (March 16...my running season begin-end date) and it has one section to record weight. I have read that certain weight percentages, whether they be up or down from your normal weight, is an indicator if you should take a day off or not. With my running schedule (based on ultra marathon training, of course!) maintaining weight is key. My weight has been fluctuating like crazy for the past 3 weeks, and there really has not been a change in my diet. Today was 122.6, the other day was 119, yesterday was 120, several days ago it was 121.6. MY OCD (medically legit OCD :lookaroun) has been freaking me out about keeping a specific number. Perhaps I just need to relax and just run? Joel, Dave, everyone, keep me in line...

Nick, If you saw what my weight does, I would drive you insane.

I weigh myself the same time every day, and it can change by as much as 2 pounds from day to day.

A pint of water weighs a pound. I can go out for a 6 mile run in the summer and drop 2.5 pounds of water weight easy. (yeah, I know, should hydrate better)

Your numbers group better than mine do. I gained a pound between yesterday morning and this morning. While not obsessed about it, I do track my weight quite a bit.

We gotta get you into some zen running there buddy. Clears all the demons out of your head. Then if you are like me, you get home, download the run off your Garmin and analize the hell out of it anyway. :D

-dave

dreamfinder

I weigh myself the same time every day, and it can change by as much as 2 pounds from day to day.

A pint of water weighs a pound. I can go out for a 6 mile run in the summer and drop 2.5 pounds of water weight easy. (yeah, I know, should hydrate better)

Your numbers group better than mine do. I gained a pound between yesterday morning and this morning. While not obsessed about it, I do track my weight quite a bit.

Ditto on this. If I am within 3 lbs or so of what I think I should be, I am fairly happy. I get swings a pound or two either way on a daily basis. I imagine it depends on what food I choose to refuel the day before and other stuff, but unless it is serious swings, or you start to obsess about a tenth of a pound, then its probably nothing serious.

JillC LI

:lol:

Ill take that. Sam loves Bear. I like him too, but she thinks she is dishy.

This is too weird. I didn't know who Bear Grylls was, and I meant to google him, but I forgot. So last night I was reading the most recent edition of Runner's World Magazine, and who is highlighted as a runner on the final page but Bear Grylls! And the photo really did look like yours! I'll bet the article is posted somewhere on the Runner's World web site if you look for it. How coincidental was that?!

JillC LI

Finally got outside for our first run of the season last night. My wife and I ran 4 miles last night. It was her first outdoors run since she started running, and she was surprised at how quickly the mileage went by when you're not on a treadmill. :)

Good for you guys! Isn't it amazing how the same distance can feel like it takes twice as long on a treadmill?! Scenery changes make all the difference.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yay for your taper!

For the 1/2, I am only going to taper the last 7 days or so.. not like I have had much to taper from either right now!

I did add another 4 miles tonight on the treadmill and some core work. So at least I have tired legs, first time in awhile really.
This last 24 weeks and 2 halves while training fro this full, has convinced me that tapering for future halves isnt for me anymore. both races I had PB's. For this Full though, Im tapering since that is what the schedule says and it is my first.

Eh, 10.51 miles this morning. It just didn't feel, like a quality run, more like going through the motions. My head has been screwing with me lately, focus is off, etc...

I had started a new log a few weeks ago (March 16...my running season begin-end date) and it has one section to record weight. I have read that certain weight percentages, whether they be up or down from your normal weight, is an indicator if you should take a day off or not. With my running schedule (based on ultra marathon training, of course!) maintaining weight is key. My weight has been fluctuating like crazy for the past 3 weeks, and there really has not been a change in my diet. Today was 122.6, the other day was 119, yesterday was 120, several days ago it was 121.6. MY OCD (medically legit OCD :lookaroun) has been freaking me out about keeping a specific number. Perhaps I just need to relax and just run? Joel, Dave, everyone, keep me in line...
I would try and transition into running for different reasons than your weigth since you have shed the weight and it is staying off. You will keep it off if you keep running, but I think it is very unhealthy for people to weight themselves if they have or are recovering from eating disorders or weight battles. The obviously are just my opinions, and I have not ever walked in your shoes so I am sympathetic to how hard this would be. I dont know.... it is a tough thing.

We gotta get you into some zen running there buddy. Clears all the demons out of your head. Then if you are like me, you get home, download the run off your Garmin and analize the hell out of it anyway. :D

-dave
Read the book, The art of Zen Running. Hell, Ill let you borrow my copy. Dave told me about it and I read it. Wonder how I put down the ipod so easy... the book.

Enjoy it, but just watch - it's gonna mess with your head! :ROFLOL:
I think it might in a few days, but I was glad to only have run 8 this morning instead of 10 at 5am. :D

This is too weird. I didn't know who Bear Grylls was, and I meant to google him, but I forgot. So last night I was reading the most recent edition of Runner's World Magazine, and who is highlighted as a runner on the final page but Bear Grylls! And the photo really did look like yours! I'll bet the article is posted somewhere on the Runner's World web site if you look for it. How coincidental was that?!
Huh, ill check out that article. I just have a lot of respect for him and what he has accomplished.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

-dave

Thanks Dave. Yeah, I need to get out of my own way.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I would try and transition into running for different reasons than your weigth since you have shed the weight and it is staying off. You will keep it off if you keep running, but I think it is very unhealthy for people to weight themselves if they have or are recovering from eating disorders or weight battles. The obviously are just my opinions, and I have not ever walked in your shoes so I am sympathetic to how hard this would be. I dont know.... it is a tough thing.

Read the book, The art of Zen Running. Hell, Ill let you borrow my copy. Dave told me about it and I read it. Wonder how I put down the ipod so easy... the book.

Thanks Joel. My OCD is screwing with me the last few weeks. I'll pick up a copy and obsess about that instead. Have to let reality and logic set in.

Cheers everyone.

Coach81

Usual 5K this morning.. felt strong.. I find that I dont' start "settling down" until I hit the first mile.. then my pace improves, and I feel better...

Going to go for either a bit faster tomorrow morning.. or a bit longer depending on how I feel...

scorp111

4 mile tempo run @ 8:55 per..... I have figured out some nice little routes leaving the hotel and running down into some neighborhoods.

Want to do 12 this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. Need to figure out where in Nashville will be the best place for a long run like that.:)

scorp111

Usual 5K this morning.. felt strong.. I find that I dont' start "settling down" until I hit the first mile.. then my pace improves, and I feel better...
Going to go for either a bit faster tomorrow morning.. or a bit longer depending on how I feel...

Pretty normal I think. When I started it was more pronounced, but I still feel it. Somebody hooked me up with an article about it, when I started running. It is your body shifting from anaerobic to aerobic phase excersise, so it is always there to some degreee. It just becomes an easier, more subtle, transistion over time, and therefore less noticeable.

JillC LI

I have OCD too. I feel your pain.

I wonder how many of us runners do as well --all that focus on pace and distance and training stats. Mine is very mild - no one would know I had it unless I pointed out my little "habits." It can be extremely frustrating though. I've always found that diversion is an excellent tool though, so I think your recommendation for Nick to focus on a zen book is a good one.

JillC LI

Did 5K on the treadmill this morning. I usually go at about a 10min/mile pace, but I decided to do the middle mile at 9 min/mile to see how I could do at that pace since I want to complete a 5K at that pace in the Fall. Well it felt REALLY hard for that middle mile, but I guestimate that I could've gone another half mile at that pace before dropping, MAYBE a full mile. So perhaps with a fair bit of speed work between now and then, I'll be able to hit my goal. We shall see.

joel_maxwell

I wonder how many of us runners do as well --all that focus on pace and distance and training stats. Mine is very mild - no one would know I had it unless I pointed out my little "habits." It can be extremely frustrating though. I've always found that diversion is an excellent tool though, so I think your recommendation for Nick to focus on a zen book is a good one.
Only reason I felt that I could recommend that without feeling like a huge hypocrite is that I did it myself. I caught myself, feeling the anxiety around lunch everyday that I had a run that afternoon (time, pace, goals, distance). That is why I make my Monday runs a recovery run with no watch. I just run it to run it. I look around the neighborhood and enjoy being out there. I know we have talked about that lately.

Im not going to pretend to understand the OCD of weight control. I do however know that it isnt healthy (no pun intended) to stress about it. I hope that it helps.

Mine is mild too. My profession makes us OCD. When we stress out over a pixel, things in life blow up to a bigger scale than you want them to be. Unfortunately, that is when it carries over to other things.

Phonedave

While I am a stat junkie - not just in running, but in lots of things, I don't think that makes me OCD. It's just something I like to do. If I don't do it, it does not bother me a whit.

I have come to the conclusion that I must be anti-OCD. Growing up, my mother gave me a nickname - David "I don't give a s___"

I found out recently that I have started a mini movement. It turns out that a lot of my friends tell each other, when one is stressing out about something "Remember, be like Dave"

I need to find out how to market that and make some bucks.

-dave

speck76

Hi Brad!

You raise a good question - how does a person transition from controlled climate workouts to enduring the sticky, humid conditions of outdoor spring/summer runs?

I've hit a plateau and it has been suggested that I get out of my comfort zone, which for me is the trusty treadmill at the gym.

shorter yet higher-intensity workouts.....and a good shower after

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
It is a bit slow to read, so you kind of need to find zen to read the book about zen running, but stick with it.

I have OCD too. I feel your pain.

Thanks buddy. I have had OCD since I was five years old, so it's been a life-long struggle. I won't get into specifics or what caused this crap, but it's been hell, and has affected everything: food, relationships, social life or lack there-of, running, my art, etc...I suppose I am the f---ed up artist cliche, but I've learned to deal with it. Oh well, enjoying a Southern Tier Unearthly Double IPA (153 IBUs!) so life 'aint that bad!

11.50miles this morning with a bad upset stomach...damn yogurt.

Cheers, my fellow brothers and sisters.

joel_maxwell

While I am a stat junkie - not just in running, but in lots of things, I don't think that makes me OCD. It's just something I like to do. If I don't do it, it does not bother me a whit.

I have come to the conclusion that I must be anti-OCD. Growing up, my mother gave me a nickname - David "I don't give a s___"

I found out recently that I have started a mini movement. It turns out that a lot of my friends tell each other, when one is stressing out about something "Remember, be like Dave"

I need to find out how to market that and make some bucks.

-dave
I love stats too, but certain stats. I dont care about how many people this and that, I love stats like How many bolts are in the Brooklyn Bridge and/or how many gallons of rocket fuel the shuttle burns per second on lift off. Stuff like that. Love it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom