Western way park/5th gate

WDWDad13

Or Disney could just buy Comcast and Uni lol

Can you imagine if Disney owned and ran Uni Ioa and Sea World lol. Ok not gonna happen but that would one heck of a park hopper ticket lol

lazyboy97o

I think Iron Man, Thor and Captain America may fall under the broader category as part of a family or group of characters, which the contract also prohibits.
Given what happened last summer, I think even Disney's lawyers would have a hard time arguing that Iron Man is not a member of the Avengers.

Yeah, whoever wrote that contract for Universal did a bang up, and left very little, if any wiggle room for Disney or anybody else.
The contract was signed in 1994 and Marvel Entertainment would declare bankruptcy at the end of 1996. At the time, the contract was great for Marvel. It was a constant, dedicated stream of income when they were bleeding all over the place. By giving Universal a deal that no other license holder would beat they guaranteed a Marvel presence at Islands of Adventure. Had Marvel's popularity not rebounded Marvel Superhero Island would still exist because its too cheap to replace.

Holy cow! Is that their entire contract? I thought it would be like 300 pages. That is shorter than my credit card contract!

Eh, 36 and a half years....I'm sure Disney will wair Universal out.
Yes, it really is that short. And the 36 years is nowhere in there.
I'm skimming through that contract...some of it is talking about minumum requirements for to build a theme park. It is referring to Universal correct? So it would be more likely for Universal to build a dedicated park rather than Disney. Am I misinterpreting this?
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to ask. The park that was to be built that is referenced int he contract is Islands of Adventure.

Can't wait to see what happens if Disney ends up buying Hasbro (Transformers).
If that ridiculous rumor did come true, nothing would change. A change of ownership does not negate contracts. Industrial Light and Magic, now a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, did the ride film for Transformers: The Ride-3D.

NowInc

If that ridiculous rumor did come true, nothing would change. A change of ownership does not negate contracts. Industrial Light and Magic, now a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, did the ride film for Transformers: The Ride-3D.

I actually meant in a "Disney rumor" sense. ie: threads like this one.

Sully83

In my opinion, honestly if disney were serious about doing these additions on new gates, then build marvel in cali and build star wars in florida and build both liberally as needed overseas. Honestly though, I much rather them get the current parks in florida up to levels to where they should be at. DAK and DHS need way to much work, epcot needs updated, and the other three main lands at MK need some to major updating.

lebeau

Disney has been waffling for years over whether or not to build a modest Monsters Inc attraction in a park that desperately needs more rides. How can anyone seriously think they are contemplating building a new amusement park when they won't even commit to building a kiddie coaster?

Much less that they would do so with IP they do not hold the rights to.

Sully83

Or Disney could just buy Comcast and Uni lol

Can you imagine if Disney owned and ran Uni Ioa and Sea World lol. Ok not gonna happen but that would one heck of a park hopper ticket lol

yeah I mentioned that earlier......I don't know if the US Govt would let that one go through to buy comcast

Sully83

Disney has been waffling for years over whether or not to build a modest Monsters Inc attraction in a park that desperately needs more rides. How can anyone seriously think they are contemplating building a new amusement park when they won't even commit to building a kiddie coaster?

could you imagine some of the coronaries that some people would have on here if disney turned around to spend several hundreds of millions to around a billion to begin the process of building a new gate in orlando and have yet to fix the yeti

PeterAlt

Now I'm starting to understand the Waffle House connection...

PeterAlt

yeah I mentioned that earlier......I don't know if the US Govt would let that one go through to buy comcast
Okay, I will speaketh on the subject and it will be...

Uni will push their current Marvel attractions at IoA as long as those attractions are not at a point of disrepair. When a costly rehab is needed, they will choose to replace those attractions with non-Marvel themes instead of negotiating to renew it. When that happens, Disney's east coast theme park rights for Marvel automatically are re-acquired in a non-cash non-contract manner. If the two companies want to speed up the inevitable, Disney could offer Comcast cash.

lebeau

Uni will push their current Marvel attractions at IoA as long as those attractions are not at a point of disrepair. When a costly rehab is needed, they will choose to replace those attractions with non-Marvel themes instead of negotiating to renew it. When that happens, Disney's east coast theme park rights for Marvel automatically are re-acquired in a non-cash non-contract manner. If the two companies want to speed up the inevitable, Disney could offer Comcast cash.

Why would Universal do any of that? Self-sabotage? There's no logical reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

lazyboy97o

Universal has increased maintenance on all of the attractions and recently upgraded The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. And what part of "perpetual" do you not understand?

JT3000

Because everyone knows Universal inevitably allows their attractions to fall into disrepair. :rolleyes:

Kristamouse

So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?
No clue on 5th Gate...but how are the ticket discounts? We did an Orange Lake time share in 2006 and got an insane deal on 10 day no expiration hopper.

PeterAlt

Why would Universal do any of that? Self-sabotage? There's no logical reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot like that.
Inaction is doing in this case. Why would they spend a lot of money on a full rehab when the contract is due to expire several years down the road? Best choice is to re-theme it.

Californian Elitist

This is probably the most ridiculous theory you've come up with, regarding this subject. Unless this is a joke?

PeterAlt

I predict that Marvel will grow tired of publishing comic books which become less and less popular every year, so they will just hand over Marvel to Universal to get it off their books.

Hey, it could happen!
The sad thing about this joke is that this really could happen with the over-exposure planned for Star Wars.

Todd L

Since Marvel was bought up by Disney whats the deal with Universal?? I mean Super Hero Island is home to one of the coolest attractions in all of Orlando....

Cant imagine what Disneys Long term plan is with the franchise But I cant imagine that Universal is happy about it??!!

Think we will see A Disney/marvel attraction?? The Avengers is HUGE....cant imagine they wont do something !!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom