Western way park/5th gate

CDavid

Instead of guessing, just give the contract a quick read.

Most people don't, or aren't aware they can. If I had a dollar for every time I've read (not just here) someone posting something about "when the contract expires" or "none of us know what it really says", I could make an extra trip to WDW.

Tom Morrow

ALSO..never..ever...say "never"..especially regarding a 5th park.
But its extremely unlikely there will be a 5th gate any time in the forseeable future. I mean, come on, they can barely get a refurbishment greenlit, let alone new attractions, and what does get built takes 2-3 times longer than it should.

Anyway, a 5th gate is NOT what WDW needs and I wish people would stop rooting for it.

montyz81

Original Poster
im astonished that that post wasnt precedded by "long time reader, first time poster"

my chances of winning the powerball keep getting better and better...........
Not a first time poster (look at my stats). I was actually asking as I thought what the sales pitch guy may have confused was the proposal to put in a new resort or something like that (sometimes people hear "resort" and think "theme park"). I just wanted to see if there was anything at all in the rumor mill to substantiate that something may be happening there soon. As I look at the map, I thought if there was something, it might focus in on Magnolia and connect up to WesternWay and 429. That said, I actually started laughing pretty hard when the guy fed me his line of bull. I realized I was actually laughing out loud, and shut up pretty quickly just to help the guy save face.

Also, another poster commented on the fact that this resort is nice but inconvenient to the parks. I couldn't agree more. As of right now, there is only one offsite Resort that offers the convenience of a Disney Resort. That is Bonnet Creek.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From the contract (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm) Universal has rights to the current characters that they use, and their families, in perpetuity. These rights are ONLY in the US East of the Mississippi River. However, to retain said rights, they must keep the attraction using the characters both in service AND in good repair. So, if Universal wanted to get rid of Storm Force and replace it with a cool dark ride, Disney could make a case for the rights to the X-Men reverting back to them.
The way this contract is written puts some restrictions on Universal (they cannot replace the 2 lesser Marvel attraction and cannot add any attraction at all.)

Contract runs out in 2050...so we have some time.

Where did you get the 2050 date from? It's not in the contract.

bubbles1812

From the contract (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm) Universal has rights to the current characters that they use, and their families, in perpetuity. These rights are ONLY in the US East of the Mississippi River. However, to retain said rights, they must keep the attraction using the characters both in service AND in good repair. So, if Universal wanted to get rid of Storm Force and replace it with a cool dark ride, Disney could make a case for the rights to the X-Men reverting back to them.
The way this contract is written puts some restrictions on Universal (they cannot replace the 2 lesser Marvel attraction and cannot add any attraction at all.)

Contract runs out in 2050...so we have some time.

Why couldn't they build a new attraction? It says very plainly they have the rights to the characters they already use. So if they wanted to build a Hulk dark ride what's stopping them? Mean they don't need to and I don't see the point of building two Hulk themed rides, but they have the rights to the character, so they could do it. That doesn't make sense to me.

Also I don't think that precludes them from replacing one of the lesser Marvel attractions if they wanted. They could easily make the argument that they are keeping things in good repair by replacing an old attraction with a newer one. Can always use the argument that the ride needed substantial updates and radically change said rides. And what is more, I doubt Disney would go to court over something like that. That contract is pretty darn rock solid.

Also, how are you getting 2050? It doesn't say that in the contract. Not to mention that the very definition of "perpetuity" is a thing that last last forever, or at least an indefinite period. If they use the word perpetuity in the contract, that pretty much means Universal has the rights to those characters as they so choose. I'm not sure your interpretation is very accurate

Figments Friend

But its extremely unlikely there will be a 5th gate any time in the forseeable future. I mean, come on, they can barely get a refurbishment greenlit, let alone new attractions, and what does get built takes 2-3 times longer than it should.

Anyway, a 5th gate is NOT what WDW needs and I wish people would stop rooting for it.

Agree completely.
Disney needs to focus on the Parks they already have in FL instead of adding another gate.
They have four fabulous themed Parks already there that have more then enough room for improvements, plusses, and outright upkeep.

Expand and enhance THEM.

Zman-ks

I'm so over the 5th gate BS. Next lame, overplayed rumor please.
75.gif

I am getting there....still would be cool though. :p

NowInc

Can't find the article at the moment, but I read it in the sentinel that it said it expired in 2050. I will be the first to admit that without seeing that in official writing, I don't 100% believe it..but it DOES seem feasible.

Sully83

So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?

Ok, ignoring the fact that improvments need to be done to epcot, adventureland/frontierland need a little love, tomorrowland needs lots of love, and DHS/DAK need major work to realize their potentials this would be impossible right now because universal is not just going to come to an agreement with disney because they are not going to want disney to build something that will hurt them if they can stop it. With that said if disney was to do a 5th gate (which I don't want until the other issues stated earlier are addressed outright or well on there way to being addressed) then since they are not going to get marvel for the time being in orlando, then they should do star wars. I know people on here say you can't do an entire park based on star wars, but there is plenty of enough material if you actually watched the movies and the clone wars series. I am not talking about the expanded universe here, think about all the planets that were introduced within the 6 movies and the series (which is considered official compared to the expanded universe). When you think about that then you actually will see the the vast potential and material that they have is far bigger then just doing themed land within DHS. I don't think a lot of people on sites like this see that, but star wars geekdom is very comparable to disney geekdom, take it from the few people on this site that belong to both. The plus to this would be universal would have no say into it and it would hurt their buzz with their current expansion plans. However, as much as I personally would love to see this come to be, please re read what I put in my first sentence, they truely need to address those issues.

Captain Chaos

Can't find the article at the moment, but I read it in the sentinel that it said it expired in 2050. I will be the first to admit that without seeing that in official writing, I don't 100% believe it..but it DOES seem feasible.
There is no end date to the contract... it runs forever until Universal decides they no longer want Marvel... Universal holds the cards...

lazyboy97o

Also a pretty good read (Again. nothing "official" in this..but still interesting). From 2009: http://www.deadline.com/2009/09/universal-vs-disney-over-marvel-characters/
You just posted a link to the actual, official contract. Why bother with speculative articles?

MOXOMUMD

"Behind this curtain is a replica model of Disney's new 5th gate and only people who sign with us get to view it. Shall I get you a pen? Trust me, you will be surprised!"

lebeau

Also a pretty good read (Again. nothing "official" in this..but still interesting). From 2009: http://www.deadline.com/2009/09/universal-vs-disney-over-marvel-characters/

That was fun speculation in 2009, but a lot has been cleared up since then. Universal has a lot fewer restrictions that the Deadline article suggested. Many of us have read the contract several times over the last few years because this subject (and misinformation) keeps popping up.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of reading the contract yourself, you may want to use this simple rule of thumb. Anyone talking about Marvel at Disney World is full of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom