Western way park/5th gate

montyz81

Original Poster
So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?

WDWDad13

I've heard that if Disney really wanted to (since they own the Marvel rights but have an agreement with Uni Orlando that they won't for some time), they could build something and just pay penalties or work out an agreement or something along those lines. I don't know the specifics but my understanding from what I've heard is there is wiggle room now if they wanted to do some things, but it would have to be on a large scale to make sense. who knows what'll happen

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've heard that if Disney really wanted to (since they own the Marvel rights but have an agreement with Uni Orlando that they won't for some time), they could build something and just pay penalties or work out an agreement or something along those lines. I don't know the specifics but my understanding from what I've heard is there is wiggle room now if they wanted to do some things, but it would have to be on a large scale to make sense. who knows what'll happen

There's no wiggle room, no penalties to be paid. Both Disney and Universal are quite content with the agreement as it stands. Disney is placing Marvel in DL, and potentially in other overseas parks as well. It will not be coming to WDW any time in the near future, save on the side of a monorail....

WDWDad13

Couldn't Disney just double the amount Uni pays for rights to Marvel in their parks and say "ok, we'll reduce it back if you allow us to place Marvel in our parks as well" LOL!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Couldn't Disney just double the amount Uni pays for rights to Marvel in their parks and say "ok, we'll reduce it back if you allow us to place Marvel in our parks as well" LOL!

Universal has no incentive to release those rights currently, regardless of whatever offer Disney may make. Which would be prohibitively expensive to begin with.

This really has been discussed ad nauseum before, with emphasis on the nauseum.....

Mammymouse

After hearing about the good response Ironman 3 is having I have been wondering what the relationship specifics were for Marvel and Disney. I knew if I looked back at the threads here there was some talk recently, so thanks for the info. I remembered there was something about East of the Mississippi. Although, in the business world all contracts can be tweeked if both parties agree ;):D (code for cash).

CDavid

Disney are not legally allowed to build anything Marvel in Florida, or East of the Mississippi I believe, so it is false. All current WDW parks are in such a state at current and all the cutbacks they are making has ruled out a fifth park ever happening.

As I understand the agreement, Disney can in fact build anything Marvel they wish in a theme park, providing the character(s) featured are not already used in "more than an incidental" manner by Universal. They still cannot then refer to the land or attractions by the Marvel name, however.

That is no way means this particular rumor has any basis in fact whatsoever. It is most definitely false.

So, the answer to the question is: No.

There will not be a fifth / Marvel park being built on Western Way.

This will be quite a disappointment of the suckers who buy in Orange Lake with the hopes of having a view of Stark Tower or whatever.

(Cue a dozen pages of armchair lawyering and what it scenarios).

lazyboy97o

No. The fee is set and increases only with inflation. Instead of guessing, just give the contract a quick read.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As I understand the agreement, Disney can in fact build anything Marvel they wish in a theme park, providing the character(s) featured are not already used in "more than an incidental" manner by Universal. They still cannot then refer to the land or attractions by the Marvel name, however.

That is no way means this particular rumor has any basis in fact whatsoever. It is most definitely false.

Considering this all originated from a sales pitch.....

DocMcHulk

So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?
Orange Lake told my parents a few years ago that disney tried to buy them. Which, as best as I could tell, was 100% false.

lazyboy97o

This sounds like a timeshare pitch that is doing whatever it takes (including making stuff up).
Yep. I enjoy staying at Orange Lake (never done the timeshare pitch) but despite physically bordering Walt Disney World it's not as convenient in terms of driving.

NowInc

From the contract (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm) Universal has rights to the current characters that they use, and their families, in perpetuity. These rights are ONLY in the US East of the Mississippi River. However, to retain said rights, they must keep the attraction using the characters both in service AND in good repair. So, if Universal wanted to get rid of Storm Force and replace it with a cool dark ride, Disney could make a case for the rights to the X-Men reverting back to them.
The way this contract is written puts some restrictions on Universal (they cannot replace the 2 lesser Marvel attraction and cannot add any attraction at all.)

Contract runs out in 2050...so we have some time.

ALSO..never..ever...say "never"..especially regarding a 5th park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom