Western way park/5th gate

DisneyJoe

If I recall correctly, Disney can't build any Orlando Marvel attractions (perhaps only specific characters?) until the licensing arrangements with Universal Orlando have expired.

The upgrades on the Disney Magic cruise ship will have a Marvel room in the kids center.

Sully83

Why would Universal do any of that? Self-sabotage? There's no logical reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

exactly this.....no incentive for universal to give into disney, it only helps disney in the end.....so why would universal want to do that

PeterAlt

This is probably the most ridiculous theory you've come up with, regarding this subject. Unless this is a joke?
Say in 15 years from now, the entire IoA Marvel section is in need for an extensive rehab. Comast could layout the dollars to do this, or put those dollars into re-theming the area. If they choose to do the extensive rehab, the Marvel contract will expire several years later and they will be forced to negotiate an extension. Disney can choose not to talk and Uni will be forced to retheme that area, in which case the money spent on rehab is practically wasted. Or Disney could just offer cash some time sooner and Uni could use that cash to retheme it sooner, rather than later.

Captain Chaos

Okay, I will speaketh on the subject and it will be...

Uni will push their current Marvel attractions at IoA as long as those attractions are not at a point of disrepair. When a costly rehab is needed, they will choose to replace those attractions with non-Marvel themes instead of negotiating to renew it. When that happens, Disney's east coast theme park rights for Marvel automatically are re-acquired in a non-cash non-contract manner. If the two companies want to speed up the inevitable, Disney could offer Comcast cash.
The Spider Man refurb says YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK... BYE BYE

PeterAlt

Well that's been done already.

If or when Disney builds this Iron Man attraction in Disneyland, feel free to buy a plane ticket. Problem solved.
If it's as good as RSR, I may. If RSR isn't cloned here, I'll buy a plane ticket just to see that!

PeterAlt

But that poster has not been able to provide any backing for that fact and it is in contradition to the published contract.
Then I add the following disclaimer to my guess of what will happen:

"If it's true that the Uni-Marvel contract expires, as claimed earlier in this thread, ..."

Sully83

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that it does.

I could be wrong, but everything I have ever heard is that the contract gave them pretty much rights to the whole marvel lot for the most part east of the mississippi pretty much forever, I know someone put on here earlier that it will expire eventually but others since then said it does not expire......if marvel was independant still or another company ended buying them then maybe they would give up the license if it was no longer profitable......the fact that it is disney and their competition will make them either keep it or hold disney to the fire to relinquish

BryceM

These Marvel in WDW "debates" are so tiresome.

If you want to visit a Marvel themed land, and ride Marvel themed attractions, buy a ticket to Universal's Islands of Adventure. I don't see the logic in making a statement that pretty much says Universal should let their attractions rot on purpose.

And plus, I don't see how you could make that comment when IOA has The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Now there's a Marvel themed attraction for ya.

lebeau

Then I add the following disclaimer to my guess of what will happen:

"If it's true that the Uni-Marvel contract expires, as claimed earlier in this thread, ..."

It does not expire. I have read it myself. Several times.

Don't take my word for it. Don't listen to something some other poster said earlier in the thread. Read the contract. It's relatively short. Then you can stop making up crazy theories based on made-up misinformation.

Reddog

I predict that Marvel will grow tired of publishing comic books which become less and less popular every year, so they will just hand over Marvel to Universal to get it off their books.

Hey, it could happen!
From the AP story here: http://news.yahoo.com/free-comic-book-day-finds-print-digital-demand-064657188.html

"John Jackson Miller, who tracks industry sales figures and estimates through his www.comichron.com website, said that sales of single-issue comic books were up nearly $60 million to $474.6 million in 2012, compared with $414 million in 2011 and $310.6 million in 2003."

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It does not expire. I have read it myself. Several times.

Don't take my word for it. Don't listen to something some other poster said earlier in the thread. Read the contract. It's relatively short. Then you can stop making up crazy theories based on made-up misinformation.

This advice has been proffered and will never be taken. I think Mr. Alt thinks that he can annoy Uni and Disney into having a Marvel 5th gate built at WDW. At first, I thought he was crazy, but he's really good at his chosen tactic..............

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In actuality, I hear the plans for the 5th gate are "EPCOT II: 32% more EPCOTness than EPCOT I"...it will feature all the good rides that have been gutted from the park. It is a plan that might work, but it is also the reason the BAH is being moved. Every park needs an icon.

lebeau

PeterAlt

These Marvel in WDW "debates" are so tiresome.

If you want to visit a Marvel themed land, and ride Marvel themed attractions, buy a ticket to Universal's Islands of Adventure. I don't see the logic in making a statement that pretty much says Universal should let their attractions rot on purpose.

And plus, I don't see how you could make that comment when IOA has The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Now there's a Marvel themed attraction for ya.
Okay, your first statement is true and I do agree 100% with what you said. Second, I didn't say Uni should let their attractions rot. There will be a point some time in the future (and I don't know when) that they will need to fork up big money for an extensive rehab. This happens all the time for any attraction at any theme park. Do they use that money on rehab and keep the current theme, as it is unclear if this rehab would last the life-cycle of owned rights, or do they use that money to re-theme the area with wholly-owned under-exploited Uni IP?

As to Spider-Man, I'm with you on that one. Seeing how Disney decided to let Sony have the film rights, there's no need for Disney to own the theme park rights to that. Maybe Disney can let Uni have that one, or let them have it in a new deal extension or revision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom