Western way park/5th gate

SirLink

So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?

If he mentions monorail expansion/5th gate/Marvel in any combination - just report him to IHG group.

bsiev1977

So I spent a week at Orange Lake last week. My wife got suckered int a pitch with them. During the pitch, the guy talked about how they had to work with the Disney folks (because orange lake abuts Disney property) for zone and construction issues. He said that Disney mentioned to them that they are putting in a new park based on Marvel right on Western way. Now I do not typically mention this stuff but, I thought there might be a spec of something here about future plans for something. I didn't believe any of what he said however, comments like this are based in some facts. Does anyone know what may be happening here, if anything?
What happened was a salesman blatently lied to your wife.

WildcatDen

OK, I admit I am a little confused. They cannot use characters currently featured at UNI per statements above. I do not recall seeing Iron Man at UNI or any attraction featuring Thor or Captain America other than Character spots. What about Hawkeye, Daredevil, Amazoness. . .

lazyboy97o

OK, I admit I am a little confused. They cannot use characters currently featured at UNI per statements above. I do not recall seeing Iron Man at UNI or any attraction featuring Thor or Captain America other than Character spots. What about Hawkeye, Daredevil, Amazoness. . .
East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

GrumpyFan

I think Iron Man, Thor and Captain America may fall under the broader category as part of a family or group of characters, which the contract also prohibits.
I've seen the contract, wondered the same question, and don't remember specifically why they can't be used, but it has something to do with the other characters in use, plus a clause about no other theme parks being able to use any of the Marvel family east of the Mississippi.

I remember hearing when Disney did the Avengers Monorail wrap, Uni pitched a fit and threatened to sue, but Disney's lawyers skated by on the technicality that the train doesn't actually go into a park, so long as they keep it on the Hotel/Express loop. Same deal with the Iron Man 3 wrap now.

PeterAlt

Those who know me, I have one word to say "wow!" WOW
If there were a monorail link, it would be triple wow...

Sully83

How does Uni hold the cards if Disney owns marvel?

There will be no incentive for universal to come to an agreement with disney period, so yes they hold all the cards. No business is going to outright hand over a competitive advantage to their direct competitor that is not only in the same town, but right down the road when they hold the trump card. There is only two ways I ever see this being worked out is either universal forces disney to pay some crazy high financial settlement to relinquish control of the license which disney will never do because it would be bad business on their part to pay a ransom figure that universal will purposely put extremely high to hurt disneys balance sheet. The only other option is disney basically attempting to buy comcast peacefully or by raiding the stock and in that situation that could only be approved by the regulators

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There will be no incentive for universal to come to an agreement with disney period, so yes they hold all the cards. No business is going to outright hand over a competitive advantage to their direct competitor that is not only in the same town, but right down the road when they hold the trump card. There is only two ways I ever see this being worked out is either universal forces disney to pay some crazy high financial settlement to relinquish control of the license which disney will never do because it would be bad business on their part to pay a ransom figure that universal will purposely put extremely high to hurt disneys balance sheet. The only other option is disney basically attempting to buy comcast peacefully or by raiding the stock and in that situation that could only be approved by the regulators

The third way is the interest in Marvel drops to a point where Universal no longer wants it.

GrumpyFan

99.8% of Marvel characters are or were Avengers at some point. As long as Universal features ONE Avenger, Disney is basically blocked from the entire Marvel universe.

Yeah, whoever wrote that contract for Universal did a bang up, and left very little, if any wiggle room for Disney or anybody else.

Captain Chaos

How does Uni hold the cards if Disney owns marvel?
Universal owns the theme park rights for ever... Disney cannot do anything with Marvel in WDW... If Disney wants Marvel's rights for WDW, then Universal can basically demand all the gold in Fort Knox and then some... Universal holds all the cards...

Tim_4

Yeah, whoever wrote that contract for Universal did a bang up, and left very little, if any wiggle room for Disney or anybody else.
Disney didn't own Marvel at the time and Marvel had no interest in opening their own park. It's standard contract language. If Universal had bought Lucasfilm instead of Disney, I'm sure there's language in the licensing deals that would have protected Indy and Star Tours.

DManRightHere

From the contract (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm) Universal has rights to the current characters that they use, and their families, in perpetuity. These rights are ONLY in the US East of the Mississippi River. However, to retain said rights, they must keep the attraction using the characters both in service AND in good repair. So, if Universal wanted to get rid of Storm Force and replace it with a cool dark ride, Disney could make a case for the rights to the X-Men reverting back to them.
The way this contract is written puts some restrictions on Universal (they cannot replace the 2 lesser Marvel attraction and cannot add any attraction at all.)

Contract runs out in 2050...so we have some time.

ALSO..never..ever...say "never"..especially regarding a 5th park.

Holy cow! Is that their entire contract? I thought it would be like 300 pages. That is shorter than my credit card contract!

Eh, 36 and a half years....I'm sure Disney will wair Universal out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom