We need a new Mansion-Watch thread...

lilredfoxie

What portrait gallery? Is that the room where u first walk in and theres that morphing picture of the guy getting like really old, just before one of two stretch room doors open?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What portrait gallery? Is that the room where u first walk in and theres that morphing picture of the guy getting like really old, just before one of two stretch room doors open?

No. The gallery is the first long room you go through with the portrait of the old sea farer at the end with the starfish on him. The rest of the portraits are on the side walls, and their eyes follow you as you ride by in your buggy of doom.

BuzzComplexCM

is that after u get out of the elevator thing with the stretchy paintings? that long hallway that leads to the loading belt

It's when the Ghost Host says, "No flash pictures please. We spirits are frightyfuly sensitive to bright lights."

It's literally the first section you pass through on the ride.

Mansion Butler

From what is known, is WDW version going to be on par/better/worse than DL's :confused:

On par for guests, pretty much. Depends on whether you prefer New England or New Orleans style mansions, really. And whether or not you prefer to ride through the gallery and library. From what I understand, cosmetic changes are pretty much going to take it down to what the comparison was a few years ago: tiny differences that come down to personal preference, but mostly the same.

One exception might be the grand staircase. If they do put a great show scene in there, it could be the more objective tie-breaker.

For CMs, Disneyland will probably always be better. They have a few details in their system that make their lives happier (not that I don't love it at the Mansion). We have less stressful stretch rooms, and we get to work in an area with Jungle Cruise and Hall of Presidents instead of Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain (trust me on this, we have it much better in that regard).

Mansion Butler

Okay, hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong here. For some clarification and maybe edification that folks would be interested in, here are the official titles of the scenes as you go through.

Queue
Colonadde (sometimes called Graveyard)
Foyer
Stretch Room
Entry Hall
Load
Portrait Gallery
Library
Music Room
Grand Staircase
Endless Hallway
Conservatory (sometimes called Funeral or Greenhouse)
Corridor of Doors
Clock Hall
Seance Circle (somtimes Leota's Room)
Ballroom
Attic
Graveyard Slope
Graveyard
Singing Busts
Hitchhiking Ghosts
Little Leota
Unload

Don't think I forgot anything.

Okay, hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong here. For some clarification and maybe edification that folks would be interested in, here are the official titles of the scenes as you go through.

Queue
Colonadde (sometimes called Graveyard)
Foyer
Stretch Room
Entry Hall
Load
Portrait Gallery
Library
Music Room
Grand Staircase
Endless Hallway
Conservatory (sometimes called Funeral or Greenhouse)
Corridor of Doors
Clock Hall
Seance Circle (somtimes Leota's Room)
Ballroom
Attic
Graveyard Slope
Graveyard
Singing Busts
Hitchhiking Ghosts
Little Leota
Unload

Don't think I forgot anything.
If anyone is interested in more information on the specific rooms, click here.

uklad79

I went on the DLP version last week and it blows MK version out of the water. In fact I thought all the staff in the park were training to be Phantom Manor CM's with their sullen attitudes.

KevinPage

On par for guests, pretty much. Depends on whether you prefer New England or New Orleans style mansions, really. And whether or not you prefer to ride through the gallery and library. From what I understand, cosmetic changes are pretty much going to take it down to what the comparison was a few years ago: tiny differences that come down to personal preference, but mostly the same.

One exception might be the grand staircase. If they do put a great show scene in there, it could be the more objective tie-breaker.

Prior to DL's additions, the only area I felt it had above WDW's version was the morphing portraits and a more interesting loading area in general. But overall neither attraction held a real edge over the other one, like DL's PoTC obviously still has. I like that we're getting the same amount of TLC as the sister park attraction got & it's getting a proper refurb will new additions throughout the ride.

Unlike PoTC. Why no fog on the drop, no fighting shadows on the castle and redone audio with new speakers and general sprucing up:confused: But that's another argument for another thread. :D :D :D

I went on the DLP version last week and it blows MK version out of the water. In fact I thought all the staff in the park were training to be Phantom Manor CM's with their sullen attitudes.
From what I've seen on the computer, Phantom Manor is king of the other mansions. It has that classic Haunted Mansion feel, but it is so much scary and original.

AEfx

Original Poster
Hopefully without the musical instruments. Growing up, I hated that aspect of the room. I loved the Leota effect, but didnt like the instruments for some reason. With the advances in technology, they could do some holographic projections of instruments into a fog curtain, similar to Davy Jones in POTC. That would be cool.

I agree with this one...they never made sense to me, and seemed just put in because a) they couldn't think of anything better and b) to add more whimsy to the scene to appease the little tykes.

AEfx

I agree with this one...they never made sense to me, and seemed just put in because a) they couldn't think of anything better and b) to add more whimsy to the scene to appease the little tykes.

AEfx
I think the musical instruments are here to stay. Out of all of the neat things in the ride, the musical instruments were a part of the movie so I don't think they'll be going away.

fngoofy

AEfx

The instruments correspond with what Madam Leota is saying:
"awaken the spirits with your tambourine"
"send us a hint, by ringing a bell"
"blow on a horn, its time to respond, send us a message from regions beyond"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I've seen on the computer, Phantom Manor is king of the other mansions. It has that classic Haunted Mansion feel, but it is so much scary and original.
Oh believe me, it is all that and more. Darker, but with `comical` interludes so as to make it not too scary (comical as in the singing busts, not in the one liners of dear departed AE) - it can be taken on so many levels by kids and adults. The main impression I got from fellow guests (and I admit myself on my first ride) was one of shear awe, being so used to the WDW version. I`m hoping (but won`t bank on it) some of the Paris ideas make it over to the MK (same as my hopes for SM, but thats OT) - `feautre` A-100 AAs, full colour ballroom dancers (the right way round of course!), visual effects that still look state of the art 15 years later, a great lighting scheme as opposed to variations of orange or blue... a wish list I know, but hey!

And it never occured to me the major show scene change I heard muttered could be the staircase. I had other ideas, but yes - there is scope (and space) for it.

AEfx

Original Poster
The instruments correspond with what Madam Leota is saying:
"awaken the spirits with your tambourine"
"send us a hint, by ringing a bell"
"blow on a horn, its time to respond, send us a message from regions beyond"

Oh, I know that part of the ride well. I know that what Leota says corresponds with them. I've been on the Mansion well over 100 times. ;)

My point is that the instruments were used in that segment as a "lighter" element, in my opinion, in the original design. They chose that element, and Leota's dialogue was written for them. I just don't care for the choice of the element, and honestly feel they couldn't come up with anything better without making the ride "darker" in tone than they intended. I find them cheesy, personally. That's just my opinion, though.

I think the musical instruments are here to stay. Out of all of the neat things in the ride, the musical instruments were a part of the movie so I don't think they'll be going away.

LOL, well Disney isn't doing anything to theme the ride to the film, so it may very well be that the instruments stay, but it will have nothing to do with the movie.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom