We need a new Mansion-Watch thread...

Mansion Butler

I agree with this one...they never made sense to me, and seemed just put in because a) they couldn't think of anything better and b) to add more whimsy to the scene to appease the little tykes.

AEfx

I think the image of objects floating around a room during a seance is common.

Additionally, many of the instruments are used in her incantations. It all makes sense.

Mansion Butler

And it never occured to me the major show scene change I heard muttered could be the staircase. I had other ideas, but yes - there is scope (and space) for it.

It's because there wouldn't have to actually be changed. Go downstairs with the lights on and everything is in place for a scene up above.

There's just no scene yet. There was supposed to be one, and I don't know if anyone knows what, but it's not there.

KevinPage

Any idea if that barren area on the wall with the cheesy squiggly white laser writing (you don't see until you pass Leota) is going to stay or change?

I know Leota wil be floating, but didn't know if that entailed any other changes to the room. Instruments can stay as long as they don't reek of hanging on strings and 1970's black lighted paint. :D

AEfx

Original Poster
I think the image of objects floating around a room during a seance is common.

Agreed, but as I said the choice of musical instruments was done because they weren't threatening. I don't know about you, but the only time a tuba makes me cringe is at a 3rd grade recital. ;)

Additionally, many of the instruments are used in her incantations. It all makes sense.

As I replied to a previous poster, I understand very well that a few of the instruments present are there in Leota's incantations. I never made any claim they weren't. I find their inclusion both visually and in her incantations to not fit very well with the theme, and maintain I believe it was done to make the scene less "threatening".

At this point, my objections to them are because they are horribly, horribly cheesy looking and you can even see the strings holding them there...and my personal hope is that if they do replace them they used something a little more...ghostly than shiny instruments. That's just my opinon, though.

AEfx

Mansion Butler

Any idea if that barren area on the wall with the cheesy squiggly white laser writing (you don't see until you pass Leota) is going to stay or change?

Not that I know of. Little details that still require extensive work seem like they're going to stay. Especially since I've never heard someone have a problem with it before.

Believe it or not, it is (or was) the most advanced effect in the Mansion. Everything else may produce something more cool, but it's all really simple.

chipanddalefan5

I have a question,i heard a rumor that Master Gracey is going to be incorporated more into the ride, because before it went down for refurb. the ride really didn't point out that Master Gracey was indeed the ghost host, it was mostly assumed after they made the movie, i just thought they would include him more in the ride because of the letter outside hanging on the gate with his name at the bottom, is this true?

Mansion Butler

I have a question,i heard a rumor that Master Gracey is going to be incorporated more into the ride, because before it went down for refurb. the ride really didn't point out that Master Gracey was indeed the ghost host,

That's because Master Gracey is not, indeed, the ghost host. That's merely just a popular belief that gained alot of steam.

lunarsquid

That's because Master Gracey is not, indeed, the ghost host. That's merely just a popular belief that gained alot of steam.

Apparently he is now, since the posted letter outside the HM currently clearly states, "Yours Truly, Master Gracey, your ghost host." or something to that effect.

Lee

Adventurer
Apparently he is now, since the posted letter outside the HM currently clearly states, "Yours Truly, Master Gracey, your ghost host." or something to that effect.
No..he's really not.
That wording was not WDI approved. Some got a little ticked off about it, I hear.

KingStefan

Oh believe me, it is all that and more. Darker, but with `comical` interludes so as to make it not too scary (comical as in the singing busts, not in the one liners of dear departed AE) - it can be taken on so many levels by kids and adults. The main impression I got from fellow guests (and I admit myself on my first ride) was one of shear awe, being so used to the WDW version. I`m hoping (but won`t bank on it) some of the Paris ideas make it over to the MK (same as my hopes for SM, but thats OT) - `feautre` A-100 AAs, full colour ballroom dancers (the right way round of course!), visual effects that still look state of the art 15 years later, a great lighting scheme as opposed to variations of orange or blue... a wish list I know, but hey!

And it never occured to me the major show scene change I heard muttered could be the staircase. I had other ideas, but yes - there is scope (and space) for it.

The technical aspects of the DLP version are superior. However, I went there with then DD3, and mom and dad remembered the WDW and DL versions, and so we thought it would be no problem. But boy were we surprised. She hated it right from "Mai, ou sortier?". Much darker with more goulish stuff.

My personal impression is that it wasn't "Disneyesque" enough. That could simply have been achieved by having a bit more whimsy all around, and eliminate some of the corpses sitting in the corners, which really add very little.

I hope the refurb doesn't go too far. I love the Disneyesque feel of the old HM, and would hate to see that lost. Technical updates, lick o' paint, full color illusions, update animatronics, all good ideas; but leave out the blood and guts, and the scarier narration.

By the way, I love the instruments, even though they're a bit cheesy. In fact, in some ways the cheesiness adds to the experience. Corny comic relief factor IMO is cool. Relieves the tension. I remember giggling every time I went by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom