WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

suburbianj

The dining plan for next year is changing too,well as advertised over in the UK anyways it is! With the quick service dining plan next year you will get two quick service meals AND two snacks,as well as the refillable resort cup....hang on a second.....TWO snacks???Reason being,you no longer get dessert with your quick service meal,just the main course and your drink .....now I'm not 100% sure if this will be for all the dining plans,including table service credit meals too,or its just for the quick service meals,either way,we come from Scotland usually once every 1-2 years and spend two weeks at a Disney resort,however if all this is true regarding changes to dining credits etc then next trip we will be making will be one week Disney,one week universal! Way to go on losing more sales next year Disney as im sure I ain't the only one feeling like this!

Someone, not sure who yet, is going to come in here and tell you that you're the reason that Disney HAS TO raise buffet prices. Watch and see. It's coming.
I was thinking the same thing as I wrote my post ;)... but in my own defense... I didn't start doing this until after they started raising the prices to the ridiculous levels we've seen over the last 2 years.

Disorbust

I have posted this elsewhere but I think its valid here.

My DD is a marketing major and in everyone of her classes it is preached that marketing needs to be targeted at the top earners. Since the economic collapse the middle class is dwindling and have little deposable income left. So in that spirit what TWDC is practicing what is being taught with all the upcharged events, etc. The dining costs are just a reflection of a new economy and they are trying to find out how elastic their price point is. Evil, but true IMHO. I've linked the video her professor used in class. Its a bit Bernie Sandersish, but it made her point and no this isn't a left wing moon bat of a professor. She is actually just very realistic and practical when it come to the subject she is teaching. I have to say my DD was stunned by her professors attitude but now after three years in her major she also realizes its the new reality.

disneyflush

Exactly and you did not even NEED to order the most expensive items and it was CONVENIENT and the value proposition was evenly balanced between the guest and Disney.

Being long term DVC i've never had 'Free' Dining I've always paid for it.

I remember getting it in 2006 for my family and loving the value and legitimate cost savings. Sign the check and leave with no further actions needed. By the time we went back in 2008 both the tip and appetizers were gone but you could still find some value. Back then Disney marketed this as a money saver big-time:

To save up to 40% on all your Disney Dining needs — and to experience the convenience of pre-paid dining — be sure to purchase the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining when staying at a select Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Do you remember the uproar in 2008 when the tip and tax were taken away and they compensated by lowering the price of the plan by $1 per person?

As the price rose we stopped playing the 'break even' game with menu farming and Excel spreadsheets to find out if it was worth it. The prices on the last few years made it an afterthought. It is no longer marketed or discussed as a way to 'save up to 40%' or 'save up to X%', they have switched over to the 'convenience of pre-paid dining'.

We have friends that still get it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I remember getting it in 2006 for my family and loving the value and legitimate cost savings. Sign the check and leave with no further actions needed. By the time we went back in 2008 both the tip and appetizers were gone but you could still find some value. Back then Disney marketed this as a money saver big-time:

To save up to 40% on all your Disney Dining needs — and to experience the convenience of pre-paid dining — be sure to purchase the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining when staying at a select Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Do you remember the uproar in 2008 when the tip and tax were taken away and they compensated by lowering the price of the plan by $1 per person?

As the price rose we stopped playing the 'break even' game with menu farming and Excel spreadsheets to find out if it was worth it. The prices on the last few years made it an afterthought. It is no longer marketed or discussed as a way to 'save up to 40%' or 'save up to X%', they have switched over to the 'convenience of pre-paid dining'.

We have friends that still get it.

I do remember all those events, There were posters on DIS who had spreadsheets to download to see whether OOP/TiW/DDP was your best bet.

Now looks like Dining at Disney is no longer worth it AT ALL.

jakeman

So far be it from me to stamp out gleeful frothing, but perhaps they just updated their "$" ranges?

The buffets are showing a $$-$$$ range at present time. The top range of $$$ is $59.99. This can be cross referenced with a signature restaurant such as Artist Point.

Or am I missing something that is showing actual cost of the buffet?

AEfx

But I am also saying this sounds exactly like something Disney would do, especially with attendance and hotel bookings way down thus far in 2016 (no, I don't care that you waited 90 minutes to ride Tron Track today ... that just makes you stupid, it doesn't make WDW's financials great!)

LOL, nice one!

But yes, I agree - this sounds perfectly reasonable given WDW's current status. I wouldn't doubt it whatsoever.

I stopped doing these years ago except on the rarest of occasions, so personally I couldn't really care less - but this will likely be the thing that would make the Disney Moms revolt. Which is an excellent thing.

I can see it from Disney's perspective, absolutely. They have really priced food about as high as can go (pretty much everything has effectively already doubled in the past 6 or 7 years) but the Buffet's are giving a huge value of meeting 5ish characters in a personal setting. That would take several hours to do in the parks, and this way you can guarantee favorite characters.

My prediction is that Disney starts marketing these as "personal character experiences" that happen to have a buffet meal included, versus the traditional idea of a meal with the characters as a bonus. They aren't stupid - let's not pretend anyone books these for the food (though in general, I do like a good WDW breakfast buffet). They will add a little presentation/mini-show (a little skit or just prancing around) - something to make it an "experience" versus a meal, but in the end you'll be paying much more for pretty much the same thing.

Given what they think they can charge for a few extra hours of park time, I can't believe they haven't done this before - there is effectively several hours of "park time" in those meals when you account for all the personal character interaction and how long you'd wait in line for it otherwise.

Jon81uk

I can see it from Disney's perspective, absolutely. They have really priced food about as high as can go (pretty much everything has effectively already doubled in the past 6 or 7 years) but the Buffet's are giving a huge value of meeting 5ish characters in a personal setting. That would take several hours to do in the parks, and this way you can guarantee favorite characters.

Depends on the characters. From what I've seen, you can meet all of the Fab Five at Epcot Character Spot with one FastPass. Seems better value than Chef Mickey..... Of course if you are after Princesses that's a different story, but I don't think they attract huge lines other than Anna/Elsa.

odmichael

Reading this thread is just making me sick.

Imaging this menu at the Crystal Palace for $60

Italian Meatballs and Pasta
Macaroni and Cheese
Fried Chicken Nuggets
Kid-Friendly Vegetables

Array of Salads
Freshly Made Soup
Pastas and Baked Breads
Roasted Carved meats
Seasonal Fish (AKA Salmon!)
Peel-n-Eat Shrimp
Chicken
Vegetable Creations
House-made Sweets and Soft-serve Ice Cream

Disney has to be off their rocker to increase food prices that high. The food they serve at these buffets aren't worth the price as it is.

It's a shame that this is the news I hear about coming. After reading the review of Tiffins, I thought there was hope that Disney would continue to take initiative to advance their eateries. This is 3 steps back...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
50%, a mere bagatelle. When you love the mouse you just have to have that little portion of sausage, not matter the cost. It just fabulously magical. I dont understand the lack of appreciation for the efforts Disney goes to to create these unique experiences. Its not as if you can get similar elsewhere. Well at least not as carefully crafted with such high standard s of both food and service.

odmichael

50%, a mere bagatelle. When you love the mouse you just have to have that little portion of sausage, not matter the cost. It just fabulously magical. I dont understand the lack of appreciation for the efforts Disney goes to to create these unique experiences. Its not as if you can get similar elsewhere. Well at least not as carefully crafted with such high standard s of both food and service.
LOL

jlsHouston

And so the free dining for this fall essentially becomes worthless for character dining? I'm still seething over the fact my premium plus AP I purchased last November didn't include DisneyQuest and I had to pay 43 bucks to enter with kiddos this past Monday when the rain hit and I had to find an inside activity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom