WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney is becomming a place for the wealthy...It sucks because there is nothing anyone can do

I don't completely agree because true wealthy people ... they tend to have standards ... and they tend to want value for their money. They might spend an absurd price for a steak at some high end location, but they know that Chef Mickey's will never be worth $40-60 a head. Even if their brats want to meet the characters.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I haven't seen anyone defend them yet - though I expect it. I think it's disgusting, but the problem is I can so totally see this happening and their logic behind that it isn't even funny. I also think if they do it, the Disney Mom's and Pixie Dusters and assorted brethren will have an enormous negative response should this occur, because it's hitting them right square in the nuts.

Someone like me that goes to maybe one every few years? Meh. To them, who plan a week vacation at a time and wake up six months before hand every morning at an ungodly hour for an entire week so they can grab those precious ADR's that also now require credit cards to book? Ha!

This is finally something for them to revolt against, because if the lackluster and stagnant, poorly maintained attraction experience didn't do it, if the dirty bathrooms don't do it, if the constant upcharges and removed features and general price jumps didn't do it, watching their six-month-out commando-planned vacation's food budget (these are the types that stay on property and do these meals at least once a day) doubled like that just might be the one that finally does it.

I can only say that I hope you are right.

AEfx

Probably because most WDW guests are a captive audience, which means they have to pay whatever price Disney asks for food, regardless of what food that is (be it a bottle of water or a dinner buffet). Even with a rental car, leaving the parks for a couple hours to drive off property, eat wherever and drive back is somewhat impractical when you have FP+ reservations or members in your group who may not agree on when to leave or where to go (especially with kids). Everyone here knows that WDW will charge more for a burger than McDonalds, but there comes a point when the difference just looks ridiculous no matter how you view it.

If you don't understand this now, there's no other explanation I can give you that will suddenly make you "get" it.

And that's the thing - they have gone so far over the line that even people like you and I who were always "meh" about the food prices are seeing it as excessively out of control.

In another post I almost brought up the burger thing - I didn't mind a WDW burger when it was $8 with a nice handful of fries. Lunch was gonna run $11 with drink and tax. Since I'm from the North East, where food is expensive and even then, a McDonalds value meal ran $6 or $7 with drink, so it wasn't crazy expensive to me.

That was a mark-up, IMO, but not really egregious and expected. Now, a McDonalds value meal is $8 (with cheaper options for dollar folks, but those are loss leaders so I don't count them here) and WDW's are like $14 before drink. And the burgers have gotten worse (they used to not be half bad), not to mention the fully-stocked fixings bars have been eroded or eliminated so much since then.

People bring up sporting events or movies and those are different. You aren't meant to eat a meal there. You can if you want, that's why it's there, for you to calorie binge in your state of heightened excitement, but we are talking meeting an entire persons nutritional needs for a week that the average person is going to be more lightly to moderately more physically active than normal.

Hell, maybe that's it - this is WDW's way of helping folks not gain "vacation weight". Always thinking about the guest!

JustInTime

Well, the bar was being used by some to discredit my info. So, the fact that it was killed leads you to what conclusion?
I haven't gotten an update beyond the one I put out about a month back because Disney so badly wants to discredit me because, yet again (like pretty much 99% of what I've placed out about SDL) my info is dead on and they just don't like me.

I would still stick with almost a sure thing in DCA, barring something bizarre and drastic happening. About 50/50 for O-Town unless WDW does something lame and does a half-arsed temp overlay based on Anaheim's.
Thank you!!!! I really hope it doesn't happen here. I appreciate all you contribute.

Animaniac93-98

I also think if they do it, the Disney Mom's and Pixie Dusters and assorted brethren will have an enormous negative response should this occur, because it's hitting them right square in the nuts.

I honestly don't see a negative response coming from that group. They'll probably just switch to bringing in coolers or leftover KFC to the parks. Or they won't do anything because their trip is paid for with points, gift cards, their 3rd credit card etc.

AEfx

I don't completely agree because true wealthy people ... they tend to have standards ... and they tend to want value for their money. They might spend an absurd price for a steak at some high end location, but they know that Chef Mickey's will never be worth $40-60 a head. Even if their brats want to meet the characters.

That's something folks either get or they don't. Getting it or not has nothing to do with class or wealth - more so having been able to sufficiently observe it. Similarly, how many of the most "luxurious" rooms at WDW would barely qualify as 3.5* elsewhere.

Thing is, the Disney Moms and the Pixie Dusters aren't generally all made of cash. Even the ones who would be considered "well off" spending rack at the monorail resorts are the ones who have three cars to two adults and a mortgage twice what they can afford and are practically month to month if someone loses a job. And many are much lower on the income scale, including those who serve macaroni and cheese out of the box two nights out of the week to continue to afford their nearly doubled in price (tickets, rooms, food already - more food possibly to come) annual Disney trip they have become accustomed to.

This is really the only thing I can think of that would really kick the very folks in the nuts who need it the most.

AEfx

I honestly don't see a negative response coming from that group. They'll probably just switch to bringing in coolers or leftover KFC to the parks. Or they won't do anything because their trip is paid for with points, gift cards, their 3rd credit card etc.

No way. Those character meals are holy territory to them. That's what they post pictures on FB about. Not the rides. This is the center of their day, each and every day they are at WDW. When you look at the costs, multiply them by at least one of these meals a day, times 4 or 5 or more people...you are talking a HUGE impact on a vacation budget. It's not hard to spend a week at WDW and spend $1,000 on the meals as it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No way. Those character meals are holy territory to them. That's what they post pictures on FB about. Not the rides. This is the center of their day, each and every day they are at WDW. When you look at the costs, multiply them by at least one of these meals a day, times 4 or 5 or more people...you are talking a HUGE impact on a vacation budget. It's not hard to spend a week at WDW and spend $1,000 on the meals as it is.
Depends what they do with DDP credits. If the cash rate for these buffets go up but they are still 1 credit on DDP it won't stop a lot of people from going. I've seen trip reports where in a week the person did 6 or 7 character meals but they were on DDP. I am assuming part of the driver of these types of increases is to make DDP seem like a better value or at least justify the price increase for the dining plan itself.

odmichael

I agree and yet I don't. I see it going both ways. But I totally get your point.

odmichael

Depends what they do with DDP credits. If the cash rate for these buffets go up but they are still 1 credit on DDP it won't stop a lot of people from going. I've seen trip reports where in a week the person did 6 or 7 character meals but they were on DDP. I am assuming part of the driver of these types of increases is to make DDP seem like a better value or at least justify the price increase for the dining plan itself.
Well yeah, if meals remain 1 credit, DDP looks like a great value. And yet, I feel hatred toward the plan more now than ever before.

PhotoDave219

Well, the bar was being used by some to discredit my info. So, the fact that it was killed leads you to what conclusion?
I haven't gotten an update beyond the one I put out about a month back because Disney so badly wants to discredit me because, yet again (like pretty much 99% of what I've placed out about SDL) my info is dead on and they just don't like me.

I would still stick with almost a sure thing in DCA, barring something bizarre and drastic happening. About 50/50 for O-Town unless WDW does something lame and does a half-arsed temp overlay based on Anaheim's.

So..... theyre not going to put a 1930s style bar in an attraction they're just going to retheme to a kids ride, right?

PhotoDave219

I don't even spend an insane amount on my Dry Aged Ribeyes or Strips. I wait until those things get near the sell by date and get them on special....

Absimilliard

The bar was a "confirmed thing" among the TOT cast members last april. So something happened between when you got your info (and when when the cast members heard about it) and the cancellation now. Is it that the GOTG overlay?

hopemax

Thing is, the Disney Moms and the Pixie Dusters aren't generally all made of cash. Even the ones who would be considered "well off" spending rack at the monorail resorts are the ones who have three cars to two adults and a mortgage twice what they can afford and are practically month to month if someone loses a job. And many are much lower on the income scale, including those who serve macaroni and cheese out of the box two nights out of the week to continue to afford their nearly doubled in price (tickets, rooms, food already - more food possibly to come) annual Disney trip they have become accustomed to.

The thing is this group is also the one that stalks the Free Dining offers, and then pats themselves on the back for how much value they have gotten out of their vacation. WDW dining prices are becoming more like hotel rack rates or full price airfare. There's the price on the menu, and then there is the "effective" price that people in the restaurant are paying. We see $59 and balk, but if you're on a Free Dining package, the price increase does not have the same effect on you. People on the regular dining plan, are somewhere in the middle. They aren't getting a "free" meal nor are they effectively paying $59 for the meal either.

I just don't understand why so many get upset because people, free to choose, choose to pay a price that others, free to choose, don't choose to pay. And this just isn't Disney. If someone wants to pay $5 for a cup of.50 coffee, and it makes them happy then more power to them.

This is why I get upset. Some people are paying $59 for the meal, and some people are paying significantly less because of the package they are on. I can understand the short term business logic the dining plan offers. People pay in advance, and might not use it all. But you've also tied your restaurant business to your hotel occupancy, and have essentially told your local / day guests, "we don't serve your kind here."

Wdw62114

Over entitlement at its finest right here. I would love to go to Bora Bora for a week on an over water bungalo. $15k is out of my price range. I deal with it and move on with my life. I dont blame the resorts for pricing out middle class, I dont carry an attitude like Bora Bora owes me the opportunity to go. Same as Disney. They can charge what they want. Either people can afford to go and go or not. But don't blame Disney for how much it charges. And last time I checked, character buffets is not the only place to eat when there. Ooohhh but there is that entitlement again. Disney owes me the opportunity to eat crap food with characters.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well yeah, if meals remain 1 credit, DDP looks like a great value. And yet, I feel hatred toward the plan more now than ever before.
Yep. DDP has not helped with food quality or prices at all and the free DDP offers have made it a lot worse. If they raise the buffet prices that will make the free DDP seem like more of a value but you are still getting the same stuff (or in some cases less) than you always did. Meanwhile the rack rate you have to pay for your room to get free DDP is going up dramatically each year along with the length of stay tickets you have to buy, but it's still a great way to try to keep people on property longer since you are eating most of your meals there.

odmichael

Over entitlement at its finest right here. I would love to go to Bora Bora for a week on an over water bungalo. $15k is out of my price range. I deal with it and move on with my life. I dont blame the resorts for pricing out middle class, I dont carry an attitude like Bora Bora owes me the opportunity to go. Same as Disney. They can charge what they want. Either people can afford to go and go or not. But don't blame Disney for how much it charges. And last time I checked, character buffets is not the only place to eat when there. Ooohhh but there is that entitlement again. Disney owes me the opportunity to eat crap food with characters.
You're right. I won't be going to Disney because I can't afford it nor will I do a character meal because the food is crap. Thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea.

You've chosen to participate in a thread that is all about the rights of the customer and you are mad about a sense of entitlement that these customers have? What did you expect going into this thread? That everybody would think this was a great idea?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom