WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not sure I have time to wade thru seven pages of posts, but was anyone able to confirm this? (No, calling or emailing Disney and getting a denial mean nothing. They lie. See: plans moving forward for Marvel takeover of ToT.)

I did get as source to email a note saying that "huge" food and beverage increases were coming ''across property" this fall, but no details specifically related to buffets.

AEfx

Depends on the characters. From what I've seen, you can meet all of the Fab Five at Epcot Character Spot with one FastPass. Seems better value than Chef Mickey..... Of course if you are after Princesses that's a different story, but I don't think they attract huge lines other than Anna/Elsa.

That's easily compensated for - just keep the highest demand characters at the meals, and/or make it the only place they are all together. Think of it like how you sell any "collectable" - you make all but one in the set available individually, so then everyone has to buy the box set to get the complete collection. So send out Pooh, Eyeore, and Piglet, to the in-park M&G's, but if you want to meet Tigger, you need to pay for "the experience" which comes with a delicious buffet meal included...

I'm telling you - it's going to be a real paradigm change in how these events are perceived. If they are smart, they will reconfigure the entire character operation in the parks around it.

Not to be "one of those" that questions the contract all the time, but...I wonder if Disney could do Marvel M&G meals in the hotels? Like, Tony Stark Brunch in the Contemporary (kind of like how the monorail wrap went).

WDW1974

Original Poster
And please don't let there be seven pages of people excusing this incredible gouging IF true because I don't believe there is a buffet on property beyond Boma that is even worth $35 a person.

WDW character buffets are not exactly Vegas buffets at Bellagio, the Cosmopolitan, Mirage, Paris etc ... they are generally about three steps above those places like Golden Corral and that isn't high praise at all.

Last edited:

odmichael

Not to be "one of those" that questions the contract all the time, but...I wonder if Disney could do Marvel M&G meals in the hotels? Like, Tony Stark Brunch in the Contemporary (kind of like how the monorail wrap went).
Meh. Not sure if they can do it. But I don't think it's worth it.

WDW character buffets are not exactly Vegas buffets at Bellagio, the Cosmopolitan, Mirage, Paris etc ... they are generally about three steps above those places like Golden Coral and that isn't high praise at all.
200_s.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster
The only one that I hit is Trail's End. Tasty and out of the way. Although there are some interesting people coming out of the campground. If the price went up 50% i'd just skip it. As it is, I refuse to hit any character breakfasts. My kids get excited that they can eat donuts everyday from the box at a rate of $5 per dozen.

I used to love Trail's End. But perspective is needed. TE was/is WDW's version of el cheapo real world buffet joints like Golden Corral, Homestyle Buffet etc. When I discovered it in the 1990s, lunch was $5.99 a person, including drinks and including desserts. Since then, quality and selections were cut. At various points, drinks were dropped and then included again as prices rose. Basic dessert was included (usually one cobbler) while cakes, pies and pastries were upcharged. And last time I checked lunch was about $20 a person ... before they decided that wasn't profitable enough and they went to an a la carte deal.

What many people fail to grasp is that WDW management has no shame whatsoever. They will gouge Guests as long as they can ... the $150 EMHs were failures? That's OK. How many upcharge events were added this week? Wasn't there one at DAK and one at MK?

Rubes and their money.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just don't understand why so many get upset because people, free to choose, choose to pay a price that others, free to choose, don't choose to pay. And this just isn't Disney. If someone wants to pay $5 for a cup of.50 coffee, and it makes them happy then more power to them.

aladdin2007

I just don't understand why so many get upset because people, free to choose, choose to pay a price that others, free to choose, don't choose to pay. And this just isn't Disney. If someone wants to pay $5 for a cup of.50 coffee, and it makes them happy then so be it.

maybe because its the principle of the matter? pretty soon many of us wont be able to afford to dine anywhere on property. Its bad enough now, you can only price gauge and rip off customers so much.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The bar was a really bad idea. Or for that location at least. Any updates on the TOT conversion? Still for sure in the west with a slight possibility in Orlando?

Well, the bar was being used by some to discredit my info. So, the fact that it was killed leads you to what conclusion?
I haven't gotten an update beyond the one I put out about a month back because Disney so badly wants to discredit me because, yet again (like pretty much 99% of what I've placed out about SDL) my info is dead on and they just don't like me.

I would still stick with almost a sure thing in DCA, barring something bizarre and drastic happening. About 50/50 for O-Town unless WDW does something lame and does a half-arsed temp overlay based on Anaheim's.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting thought. Alas, the DDP is insanely profitable as it is....

Of course it is. People are stupid. And when you have $55 a la carte lunch steaks in theme parks, then you can make it appear a good value. Too bad many people don't realize there are great options to eat within three miles of WDW that you can just walk into. If people think there really is MAGIC at Kona Cafe or Chef Mickey's or Le Ceillier then they need psych consults ... oh, IMHO of course!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What are the current prices? I must be missing something because they are listed 59.99 right now on the ones I just looked at.

So I must be missing something...
I think that is the increased price. Chef Mickeys was $38 to $47 for adults last time I looked and now listed as $35 to $59.99. Seems like more surge pricing as the low end didn't go up but the high end did.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have posted this elsewhere but I think its valid here.

My DD is a marketing major and in everyone of her classes it is preached that marketing needs to be targeted at the top earners. Since the economic collapse the middle class is dwindling and have little deposable income left. So in that spirit what TWDC is practicing what is being taught with all the upcharged events, etc. The dining costs are just a reflection of a new economy and they are trying to find out how elastic their price point is. Evil, but true IMHO. I've linked the video her professor used in class. Its a bit Bernie Sandersish, but it made her point and no this isn't a left wing moon bat of a professor. She is actually just very realistic and practical when it come to the subject she is teaching. I have to say my DD was stunned by her professors attitude but now after three years in her major she also realizes its the new reality.

Fascinating. The truth hurts. And instead of demanding change, people actually insist on voting for people and interests that keep this horrific inequality growing.

AEfx

And please don't let there be seven pages of people excusing this incredible gouging IF true because I don't believe there is a buffet on property beyond Boma that is even worth $35 a person.

I haven't seen anyone defend them yet - though I expect it. I think it's disgusting, but the problem is I can so totally see this happening and their logic behind that it isn't even funny. I also think if they do it, the Disney Mom's and Pixie Dusters and assorted brethren will have an enormous negative response should this occur, because it's hitting them right square in the nuts.

Someone like me that goes to maybe one every few years? Meh. To them, who plan a week vacation at a time and wake up six months before hand every morning at an ungodly hour for an entire week so they can grab those precious ADR's that also now require credit cards to book? Ha!

This is finally something for them to revolt against, because if the lackluster and stagnant, poorly maintained attraction experience didn't do it, if the dirty bathrooms don't do it, if the constant upcharges and removed features and general price jumps didn't do it, watching their six-month-out commando-planned vacation's food budget (these are the types that stay on property and do these meals at least once a day) doubled like that just might be the one that finally does it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
LOL, nice one!

But yes, I agree - this sounds perfectly reasonable given WDW's current status. I wouldn't doubt it whatsoever.

I stopped doing these years ago except on the rarest of occasions, so personally I couldn't really care less - but this will likely be the thing that would make the Disney Moms revolt. Which is an excellent thing.

I don't care either from a personal standpoint. I don't even recall the last character buffet I went to (oh wait ... yes, I do ... dinner at the Swan's Garden Grove with Pluto and Goofy stopping by ... and a $25 off restaurant.com certificate. This was 2013 and my significant other wanted to try it on BBQ night. It was well under $40 a person and then we had the $25 off. Place was 2/3rds empty -- you know, because there is no Disney MAGIC at Swan/Dolphin). This is one of those greater good deals. This will not affect me directly. Just like while I don't enjoy the Tomorrowland Speedway, I'll fight for its existence because kids love it as much as I once did.

I wonder if the Disney Moms will ever revolt. That crowd is ... high ... on more than Pixie Dust (likely good upper middle class prescriptions for aches and pains and anxiety!) They recently had a huge meeting at WDW that Georgie K addressed.

I can see it from Disney's perspective, absolutely. They have really priced food about as high as can go (pretty much everything has effectively already doubled in the past 6 or 7 years) but the Buffet's are giving a huge value of meeting 5ish characters in a personal setting. That would take several hours to do in the parks, and this way you can guarantee favorite characters.

My prediction is that Disney starts marketing these as "personal character experiences" that happen to have a buffet meal included, versus the traditional idea of a meal with the characters as a bonus. They aren't stupid - let's not pretend anyone books these for the food (though in general, I do like a good WDW breakfast buffet). They will add a little presentation/mini-show (a little skit or just prancing around) - something to make it an "experience" versus a meal, but in the end you'll be paying much more for pretty much the same thing.

Given what they think they can charge for a few extra hours of park time, I can't believe they haven't done this before - there is effectively several hours of "park time" in those meals when you account for all the personal character interaction and how long you'd wait in line for it otherwise.

I think you may well be onto something here. They are trying to make the food an afterthought. Then ... you can lower the quality of food even more so. Interesting thought ...

As an aside, the DCL just began prebooking character breakfasts as well as up to two pre-arranged character meet-greet-and-gropes on seven night sailings with at least two sea days.

aladdin2007

I haven't seen anyone defend them yet - though I expect it. I think it's disgusting, but the problem is I can so totally see this happening and their logic behind that it isn't even funny. I also think if they do it, the Disney Mom's and Pixie Dusters and assorted brethren will have an enormous negative response should this occur, because it's hitting them right square in the nuts.

Someone like me that goes to maybe one every few years? Meh. To them, who plan a week vacation at a time and wake up six months before hand every morning at an ungodly hour for an entire week so they can grab those precious ADR's that also now require credit cards to book? Ha!

This is finally something for them to revolt against, because if the lackluster and stagnant, poorly maintained attraction experience didn't do it, if the dirty bathrooms don't do it, if the constant upcharges and removed features and general price jumps didn't do it, watching their six-month-out commando-planned vacation's food budget (these are the types that stay on property and do these meals at least once a day) doubled like that just might be the one that finally does it.

I agree, I think this could be the one to finally kick the mouse flat on its rear, with monumental complaints. And there of those of us who are local or passholders that this would surely get rid of which Disney has been trying to do anyway. Im so tired of Disney whining about money when they are raking in billions.

Animaniac93-98

I just don't understand why so many get upset...

Probably because most WDW guests are a captive audience, which means they have to pay whatever price Disney asks for food, regardless of what food that is (be it a bottle of water or a dinner buffet). Even with a rental car, leaving the parks for a couple hours to drive off property, eat wherever and drive back is somewhat impractical when you have FP+ reservations or members in your group who may not agree on when to leave or where to go (especially with kids). Everyone here knows that WDW will charge more for a burger than McDonalds, but there comes a point when the difference just looks ridiculous no matter how you view it.

If you don't understand this now, there's no other explanation I can give you that will suddenly make you "get" it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just don't understand why so many get upset because people, free to choose, choose to pay a price that others, free to choose, don't choose to pay. And this just isn't Disney. If someone wants to pay $5 for a cup of.50 coffee, and it makes them happy then more power to them.

maybe because its the principle of the matter? pretty soon many of us wont be able to afford to dine anywhere on property. Its bad enough now, you can only price gauge and rip off customers so much.

Screwing of some gullible Guests ultimately harms all. This is whether we are talking refillable mugs, upcharge events, 'unbundling' things etc.

I am angry about the possibility of this, but not because I'll ever be dumb enough to dine at Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace again. Unlike many people today, I look at how things affect the masses (because we all are part of them ... well, except for the top one percent).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom