WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So..... theyre not going to put a 1930s style bar in an attraction they're just going to retheme to a kids ride, right?

We shall see. I have heard nothing definitive on the project, but I am almost positive it will happen in Anaheim. But killing the bar project (when Disney has a huge internal initiative to sell more booze and open more bars, especially themed ones with unique mugs --yes, you can blame the EPCOT Explorer and other Twit fanbois for starting a huge trend toward buying crappy mugs for ridiculous prices. I have a Nautilus here waiting for a friend who asked me for one and I agreed if he'd pay for me to consume the contents, which I did! MK NEVER looked better!) is very telling. Either the cost was too high and they're going to open one elsewhere OR they had to kill it because of work to the ride. I don't know what it is ... I suppose people could call or email their favorite Disney execs and ask! ;):devilish::greedy::D:cool:

Bolna

I just listened to the DISUnplugged podcast and they were talking about it. Pete Werner (the owner of the DISboards) said that he had it from a source that he trusts that the plan is that starting October 1st all buffets will be priced at 59.00$ per adult, children will be 39.00$. Their commentary on the news was really harsh.

@WDW1974 I think by missing a few pages, you jumped over my post, which was meant to answer your original question.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The bar was a "confirmed thing" among the TOT cast members last april. So something happened between when you got your info (and when when the cast members heard about it) and the cancellation now. Is it that the GOTG overlay?

Just sorta answered this ... I can only really say ''could be'' and "makes sense" ... Disney is all about selling booze (to go with Pixie Dust as they like addictive stuff!) now and for them to kill this project makes a Spirit wonder.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 I think by missing a few pages, you jumped over my post, which was meant to answer your original question.

Sorry, I didn't skip your post (or anyone's) on purpose. I just didn't know it would take off so much and my time here is limited right now. But if Pete is saying that plus what my source said ... plus a friend just telling me that Boma would be included in this $59 deal, I feel pretty confident that some (crappy) change is coming to make the bottom line look better.

When Boma opened, to put things in perspective, dinner hovered around $20. Breakfast wasn't much more than the cost of a Western Omelette at Denny's when you add the coffee and juice! ... But in 15 years, they want $59 for dinner. Honestly, the people who are behind this (and my good ex-friend Georgie) can just go blank themselves.

It's gouging customers to an absurd degree and is vile. I am pretty certain that Walt wouldn't like this even more than I am sure that he wouldn't like opening a theme park in Shanghai!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't completely agree because true wealthy people ... they tend to have standards ... and they tend to want value for their money. They might spend an absurd price for a steak at some high end location, but they know that Chef Mickey's will never be worth $40-60 a head. Even if their brats want to meet the characters.

Exactly, Most wealthy people of my acquaintance have no problem spending several hundred dollars for a meal providing the service and quality are there, But most of them will also content themselves with fast food of some kind instead of going to a overpriced place (they did not get be wealthy by being foolish with money)

Here's the problem with Disney's strategy they want to give walmart/motel 6/golden corral service for Saks/Waldorf/Mortons prices. Not going to work.

DME Don't think so they will need town cars which meet private jets on the ramp and by the way the driver will need to be FLUENT in the guest's language.

I see a once great company floundering and sadly exhibiting all the signs of a company about to blow up.

bhg469

No, that's true. ... It's sorta like how there are Lifestylers/Bloggers who used to whine about being homeless or talking about sleeping in their cars and now they suddenly have money for Disney meals multiple times each and every week (and these aren't freebies on the company). There's always credit debt and ignoring other important things so long as someone can eat at Tiffins one day and the Boathouse another and the new burger joint at DS another etc etc.

I just don't believe the large chunk of WDW Guests 'with money' (like these Moms you are speaking of) truly have money that they have worked for and earned and built up over years. Real money won't accept those 3-star (you are more generous than I am) rooms for $500 a night or a GREAT discount of ONLY $289 plus tax. That's why the Ritz and J.W. opened, followed by the explosion of high end Hilton properties and, finally, the Four Seasons. That's where the true wealthy with a respect for money and a desire to visit Orlando/WDW/UNI wind up. Places where you can't sit in the lobby with filthy shoes on the furniture or in your jammies.

I can think of at least one vlogger that writes off every single thing they buy that is park related. I would love to see them audited some day.

BrerJon

Enjoying the dueling buffet threads. Makes me hungry, but I can't even justify paying the current price.
Have wonder what a move like this would do to a place like Hoop-Dee-Doo. With a discount it was $51 a piece for us over the weekend in the balcony.

Considering it has unlimited food and drinks AND a stage show, what are we looking st $70?

I'm sure Hoop is due a huge price increase soon, the only reason it's escaped so far is because most of the bean counters probably don't even know it exists.

Jon81uk

The bar was a "confirmed thing" among the TOT cast members last april. So something happened between when you got your info (and when when the cast members heard about it) and the cancellation now. Is it that the GOTG overlay?

One rumoured reason I saw on a site that can't be named, is that as the bar was at the old photo location, guests would need to walk through the merchandise shop to exit and the merchandise managers had concerns over drinks being near their merchandise, or that they would lose merch space to the bar etc.

This seems plausible to me as the proposed location didn't seem big enough for a full sit down bar with glassware, so drinks would need to be served in plastic cups and therefore guests are likely to leave with them and that does carry a risk of spills in the store.

matt9112

If this does turn out to be true it will push me to just eat more QS and less TS. Right now it's still too much of a hassle for me with 2 small children to leave property just to get something to eat, especially if I'm at MK.

we did this a few weeks ago it really was not nearly as bad as i thought. leaving mid day is easy and we grahbed lunch and came right back.

this last time we packed lunch in a cooler in car and once crowds got insane ww left and ate lunch on way out.

matt9112

Look, I mean, it's not like they tied you up and made you pay these prices. You have the choice to not eat $45 Mickey Waffles. WDW has a responsibilty to push the absolute limits when it comes to removing money from "guests" pockets. Don't like it, don't go. Can't afford it, don't go. Can afford it, but think it's ridiculous to pay $45 for Waffles and eggs? Suck it. Keep yo mouth shut.

or hope they run a better buisness model and not troll on a message board?

matt9112

To be honest Disney does need to do something about crowd control. I have been coming for over 15 years and I'm here right now and it seems like every time I go it gets worse. So does the fun unfortunately with the new trends

build bigger parks....more rides....more resturaunts.....not well lets just leave supply alone and watch demand rise and thus justified price increases.

matt9112

The thing is this group is also the one that stalks the Free Dining offers, and then pats themselves on the back for how much value they have gotten out of their vacation. WDW dining prices are becoming more like hotel rack rates or full price airfare. There's the price on the menu, and then there is the "effective" price that people in the restaurant are paying. We see $59 and balk, but if you're on a Free Dining package, the price increase does not have the same effect on you. People on the regular dining plan, are somewhere in the middle. They aren't getting a "free" meal nor are they effectively paying $59 for the meal either.

This is why I get upset. Some people are paying $59 for the meal, and some people are paying significantly less because of the package they are on. I can understand the short term business logic the dining plan offers. People pay in advance, and might not use it all. But you've also tied your restaurant business to your hotel occupancy, and have essentially told your local / day guests, "we don't serve your kind here."

that mentality is really evident everywhere.

Mike S

It's just a discussion. It's perfectly reasonable and natural for people to not be happy with a price increase when there is no increase in the goods or services provided. It's also possible for someone to be unhappy with the price increase but still be willing to give money to the business.
The only money Disney gets from me is my AP and some QS meals per trip.* Also once in a very rare blue moon when I see something I like. I still see a bit of value in what I pay (except for my recent higher priced and smaller breakfast) but for families that do all these buffets and character meals it's getting outrageous.

*Edit, forgot to mention a split bill at hotels occasionally.

Last edited:

tirian

or hope they run a better buisness model and not troll on a message board?

You think TDO is trolling these boards as well as price gouging guests?

Yes. My department was specifically told to watch WDWMagic, MiceChat, and the DBoards for opinions on new initiatives.

We were not told to defend the company. That's usually (but not always) young CPs or CMs who are unusually compelled to protect a faceless organization as if it's a religion. A couple people from PR chime in from time to time, but for the most part, Disney reads and doesn't comment.

tirian

All those people who says Disney has a responsibility to charge as much as possible, while giving the minimum possible service... does that mean Walt Disney was irresponsible, because he always tried to give good value for money?
When people base every single aspect of their lives on an entertainment company, don't expect levelheaded cognitive processes.

EDIT: This is also why it's unwise to feed trolls whose comments betray zero business experience.

Last edited:

Susan Savia

We gave up eating at the buffets several years ago. Besides the high cost of a buffet we always felt that they were hurrying us to eat and get out to get to the next paying customer. We carry a few snacks into the parks to hold us and then leave at dinnertime and head to one of many restaurants outside the partks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom