WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

yaksplat

I used to love Trail's End. But perspective is needed. TE was/is WDW's version of el cheapo real world buffet joints like Golden Corral, Homestyle Buffet etc. When I discovered it in the 1990s, lunch was $5.99 a person, including drinks and including desserts. Since then, quality and selections were cut. At various points, drinks were dropped and then included again as prices rose. Basic dessert was included (usually one cobbler) while cakes, pies and pastries were upcharged. And last time I checked lunch was about $20 a person ... before they decided that wasn't profitable enough and they went to an a la carte deal.

I was there in the mid 90's as well. I believe the cabins were around $70 per night at that time.
A huge draw to trails end for me was that my son, who's got a severe nut allergy, can actually eat the desserts there. As far as I know, it's the only place on the property where that's possible. Otherwise they bring him out the prepackaged desserts that have no dairy or gluten in them and taste somewhere between sawdust and oat bran.
So when you tell a kid that never gets dessert at a restaurant that he can go make his own sundae from the machine, it's worth the upcharge for me. Desserts are fully included in the price.

Disorbust

The push of alcohol is also getting a bit out of hand. Last trip to Epcot I noticed they were selling the hard stuff in the gift shops. Like the wiskey sold as moonshine in a mason jar. It might be that I come from a state that drinking is an art form but when I saw this I thought they are reallly asking for it. I know there are hammered guests at Epcot but this i going to bring it up to new level.

GeneralZod

I take it back. You're right. We have no rights. I just won't go to Disney along with a whole bunch of other people. Then maybe you will be happy because you don't have to deal with us peasants or Disney will make the upgrades they should have made after people stop going. Either way, you win. Congratulations!
Consumers don't have "rights", they have wallets. You are not entitled to anything tangible in this world.

NearTheEars

I can think of at least one vlogger that writes off every single thing they buy that is park related. I would love to see them audited some day.

Isn't that legal, or would they have to prove the blog is turning a profit through advertising.
I'm sure Mr. Lou is saving his receipts from all if his review shows. He even jokes about needing to take more "research trips" all the time.

KevinYee

In 2005 and for a few years thereafter, I published a Walt Disney World Dining book that manually captured the prices and menu items. Smartphones were rare when I started the project, so it made more sense back then than you might be thinking through today's eyes. Anyway, the concept quickly became obsolete so I haven't done it since 2008. But I have the old files, of course, so I'm choosing 2006 to give you a comparison with a round number (ten years):

Crystal.jpg

The Westegg inflation calculator says $28 in 2006 is worth about $34 in 2015.

Jon81uk

In 2005 and for a few years thereafter, I published a Walt Disney World Dining book that manually captured the prices and menu items. Smartphones were rare when I started the project, so it made more sense back then than you might be thinking through today's eyes. Anyway, the concept quickly became obsolete so I haven't done it since 2008. But I have the old files, of course, so I'm choosing 2006 to give you a comparison with a round number (ten years):

Crystal.jpg

The Westegg inflation calculator says $28 in 2006 is worth about $34 in 2015.

So the current price of $44 incl tax is only $10 overpriced then compared to 2006. But a jump to $55 or more would definitely be excessive.

HM Spectre

The buffets are already the worst value on Disney property (and the cost for kids who end up just nibbling are just about criminal). Booking our October trip, I avoided them like the plague except for a character meal for the kids and 'Ohana at the wife's request. And I'd say this would be intended to force people on the DDP but with these at 2 credits... they must think we're slaves to the characters. Well I'm not.

It's getting to the point where we stand to save THOUSANDS on a trip just by staying and eating off-site and driving into the parks. If they go down this path, they can stick their Mickey waffles where the sun doesn't shine.

matt9112

Yes. My department was specifically told to watch WDWMagic, MiceChat, and the DBoards for opinions on new initiatives.

We were not told to defend the company. That's usually (but not always) young CPs or CMs who are unusually compelled to protect a faceless organization as if it's a religion. A couple people from PR chime in from time to time, but for the most part, Disney reads and doesn't comment.

maybe your department should take note when AP holders are bagging pbj sandwiches like me that there MIGHT be an issue i really hope the guys down the street keep laying on the heat like hard.

rael ramone

Well, the bar was being used by some to discredit my info. So, the fact that it was killed leads you to what conclusion?
I haven't gotten an update beyond the one I put out about a month back because Disney so badly wants to discredit me because, yet again (like pretty much 99% of what I've placed out about SDL) my info is dead on and they just don't like me.

I would still stick with almost a sure thing in DCA, barring something bizarre and drastic happening. About 50/50 for O-Town unless WDW does something lame and does a half-arsed temp overlay based on Anaheim's.

I'm wondering if the bar was something they never had any intention of doing at all. Have some plans drawn up, tell a few CM's - not to eventually go ahead and build it, but to distract the public away from what their true end game is...

disneyflush

Sorry, I didn't skip your post (or anyone's) on purpose. I just didn't know it would take off so much and my time here is limited right now. But if Pete is saying that plus what my source said ... plus a friend just telling me that Boma would be included in this $59 deal, I feel pretty confident that some (crappy) change is coming to make the bottom line look better.

When Boma opened, to put things in perspective, dinner hovered around $20. Breakfast wasn't much more than the cost of a Western Omelette at Denny's when you add the coffee and juice! ... But in 15 years, they want $59 for dinner. Honestly, the people who are behind this (and my good ex-friend Georgie) can just go blank themselves.

It's gouging customers to an absurd degree and is vile. I am pretty certain that Walt wouldn't like this even more than I am sure that he wouldn't like opening a theme park in Shanghai!

You are correct. From Mike Waring's Boma review on MouseSavers.com in January of 2006:

We liked Boma but it is a bit expensive: $26 for adults and $12 for children. If you aren’t an adventurous eater, we think you could probably do better somewhere else.

A bit expensive! Ha.

rael ramone

No, that's true. ... It's sorta like how there are Lifestylers/Bloggers who used to whine about being homeless or talking about sleeping in their cars and now they suddenly have money for Disney meals multiple times each and every week (and these aren't freebies on the company). There's always credit debt and ignoring other important things so long as someone can eat at Tiffins one day and the Boathouse another and the new burger joint at DS another etc etc.

I just don't believe the large chunk of WDW Guests 'with money' (like these Moms you are speaking of) truly have money that they have worked for and earned and built up over years. Real money won't accept those 3-star (you are more generous than I am) rooms for $500 a night or a GREAT discount of ONLY $289 plus tax. That's why the Ritz and J.W. opened, followed by the explosion of high end Hilton properties and, finally, the Four Seasons. That's where the true wealthy with a respect for money and a desire to visit Orlando/WDW/UNI wind up. Places where you can't sit in the lobby with filthy shoes on the furniture or in your jammies.

I think a good number of the next generation of the 'best and brightest' - those who have the aptitude to excel in college and land good paying jobs and make definite positive contributions to society, will instead be consigned to a life of working at Walmart because their parents spent every microcent beyond food/clothing/shelter on the annual (if not more) Disney Sojourn (then have to work a 2nd job once their parents can't work anymore and have nothing put aside for their retirement).

"Don't use that money to fix your brakes! Don't put that in a savings bond or IRA or 529 account! That's Mickey's Money'.

tribbleorlfl

The buffets are already the worst value on Disney property (and the cost for kids who end up just nibbling are just about criminal). Booking our October trip, I avoided them like the plague except for a character meal for the kids and 'Ohana at the wife's request. And I'd say this would be intended to force people on the DDP but with these at 2 credits... they must think we're slaves to the characters. Well I'm not.

It's getting to the point where we stand to save THOUSANDS on a trip just by staying and eating off-site and driving into the parks. If they go down this path, they can stick their Mickey waffles where the sun doesn't shine.
While I agree the prices on the buffets overall are ridiculous, especially for children, I disagree that they are the worst value on property. In fact, I believe it's the exact opposite.

Most Dinner entrees at ts property-wide range from 20-30. When you factor in appetizers and/or desserts and coffee tea or fountain drinks, buffets come out to be a much better value relative to the ts locations. Note, I'm not making a commentary on their overall value (which I don't think any rational person can make).

71jason

No way. Those character meals are holy territory to them. That's what they post pictures on FB about. Not the rides. This is the center of their day, each and every day they are at WDW. When you look at the costs, multiply them by at least one of these meals a day, times 4 or 5 or more people...you are talking a HUGE impact on a vacation budget. It's not hard to spend a week at WDW and spend $1,000 on the meals as it is.

I still maintain the Jr. Exec who pushes food-less upcharge character meet & greets--Disney Springs would be ideal for this--will be fast-tracked for CEO. Character photos are the #1 priority for parents.

DougK

Rental cars in Orlando are relatively cheap. Maybe not at Christmas but during most of the year. Just do what we do, rent a car and then you can eat offsite. I promise you will save much more money on food than the cost of the rental car. And the food quality will be better too. For example one of @WDW1974 's favorites is Fuddrucker's. There is no burger on WDW property that comes close to it quality-wise except maybe the one at The Fountain at The Dolphin.

There is just about every chain restaurant known to man on either 192 or I-drive. Smokey Bones is a real favorite of ours for BBQ style meals. And there are many great local restaurants too. I can think of 3 or 4 just in Celebration FL which is literally only a few minutes off of Disney property (heck it used to BE Disney property). Try Columbia Restaurant for a real treat. Excellent food at very reasonable prices.

Don't get me wrong we do enjoy the occasional Disney meal. In the "old days" we used to enjoy many more Disney meals but the prices have gotten way out of hand. I know levaing property can be a hassle but for most families going out to eat is still a treat so hopping in the car and going to Shake Shack on I-drive should still be fun for the family even without those expensive characters!

Don't be a slave to Disney dining!

HM Spectre

While I agree the prices on the buffets overall are ridiculous, especially for children, I disagree that they are the worst value on property. In fact, I believe it's the exact opposite.

Most Dinner entrees at ts property-wide range from 20-30. When you factor in appetizers and/or desserts and coffee tea or fountain drinks, buffets come out to be a much better value relative to the ts locations. Note, I'm not making a commentary on their overall value (which I don't think any rational person can make).

That's the same trick they pull on us with the DDP though... if everyone gets desserts, snacks, etc, it has to be a great value! Don't actually factor in whether we'd buy them or not without the plan, it's a value!

For example... I'll use a family of 4 debating between Chef Mickey's and a signature (let's use LeCellier).

4 drinks: ~$15
2 appetizers to share: ~$30
Steak for Dad, chicken for Mom: ~$85
2 sides to share: ~$20
Steak for the kids: ~$25
Desserts for the kids and one for Mom and Dad to share: ~$25

Solid amount of food, right? The food here is "signature" (saving the quality debate for another topic) and of course, wildly overpriced. Yet, going to Chef Mickey's as a family of 4 instead saves you... about $40 ($50 per adult, $30 per child when I'm expecting to go).

The only way the buffets even make sense is if you plan on eating them out of house and home. If you eat normal portions, they make absolutely no sense from a food quality perspective. It's all about the characters.

Now they're going to raise the prices even further? To the point where I'm paying as much as I would a signature restaurant (that is overpriced to begin with)?

No thanks. I'm out.

Wdw62114

I wonder which reincarnated troll you are. Hmm...

So i'm a troll for telling people to make more money if they want to enjoy all of WDWs offerings? Because if I want to stay at a water bungalow at Poly for a week, I need to make more money. Or should I just blame Disney like others for pricing me out of certain features? I guess thats your logic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom