WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

BaconPancakes

So i'm a troll for telling people to make more money if they want to enjoy all of WDWs offerings? Because if I want to stay at a water bungalow at Poly for a week, I need to make more money. Or should I just blame Disney like others for pricing me out of certain features? I guess thats your logic.
I've just noticed you stirring the pot in several threads lately is all...
upload_2016-6-9_11-8-12.png

TyrantBoss

Look, I mean, it's not like they tied you up and made you pay these prices. You have the choice to not eat $45 Mickey Waffles. WDW has a responsibilty to push the absolute limits when it comes to removing money from "guests" pockets. Don't like it, don't go. Can't afford it, don't go. Can afford it, but think it's ridiculous to pay $45 for Waffles and eggs? Suck it. Keep yo mouth shut.

Um...wasn't my entire post about other options to eat elsewhere?

But hey I put the disclaimer on my comment. I knew I was going to offend some Disney loyalist like you.
That's okay. Because of your childish personal attack, I have reported you for violating the terms of this forum.
Have a "Magical" and day. Is that what I'm supposed to say?

TyrantBoss

Well in the midwest, having been stationed there, they have REAL steaks there and in Texas. Outback would be a joke there. But then again Joe's Crab Shack is hot in the midwest and us east coasters think that restaurant is a joke....but you don't have coasts in the midwest so I get it.

punkabella

I think this is crazy. As someone with a medical issue where I can only eat small amounts of food at a time, I was understanding of their policy (although I didn't like it) that I would have to be charged an adult buffet price instead of the child price, although I couldn't even eat as much as most kids 5+. I still did a few buffets if my friends or family really wanted to and sucked it up. This price hike is definitely crazy and I'd have to pass on the meal if someone wanted to go to a buffet. Unless you are really packing in the food/drinks/desserts, this is a crazy price.
Maybe they will have increased ECV parking (and new rental booths) near the buffets to help those that can't walk after eating so much to get their dollars (or 60 of them) worth.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes. My department was specifically told to watch WDWMagic, MiceChat, and the DBoards for opinions on new initiatives.

We were not told to defend the company. That's usually (but not always) young CPs or CMs who are unusually compelled to protect a faceless organization as if it's a religion. A couple people from PR chime in from time to time, but for the most part, Disney reads and doesn't comment.

They love us. They really love us!

(Some much more than others!)

alphac2005

You are correct. From Mike Waring's Boma review on MouseSavers.com in January of 2006:

We liked Boma but it is a bit expensive: $26 for adults and $12 for children. If you aren’t an adventurous eater, we think you could probably do better somewhere else.

A bit expensive! Ha.

I remember when Boma was $19 and I thought it was too expensive. Oh my. I've always been a person that the margins are nuts on based on what I would eat at a buffet type, but now nearly all are. It's disgraceful. These moves remind us of why there is such cynicism in this country towards corporations.

As @WDW1974 keeps emphasizing, they are acting like a company going out of business, not generating record profits. It's beyond the point of price gouging.

WDW1974

Original Poster
No you are not. You are trying to demonstrate how you can spin up an entire forum...geez.

So much drama.

BS. And if you believe that, then why take part?

I posted something that was clearly labeled as rumour and now seems quite likely to be news/fact. Do I care that people are discussing it? Hell no. That's the point of forums like this. Unless you believe they are to mindlessly fawn over a company and its products while constantly reminding people everytime Disney does something to screw over its Guests and/or Cast that it is a business. I do believe that's what a good many people sadly do believe.

AEfx

I can think of at least one vlogger that writes off every single thing they buy that is park related. I would love to see them audited some day.

That's actually perfectly valid, well, at least per IRS regulations. Just like if you are in any way associated with the entertainment industry, you can write off every DVD/book/film/etc. If a vlogger makes money, then he especially can expense pretty much anything that is shown in the videos.

Right or wrong, that's how it currently stands.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm wondering if the bar was something they never had any intention of doing at all. Have some plans drawn up, tell a few CM's - not to eventually go ahead and build it, but to distract the public away from what their true end game is...

I dunno. I never heard about it. But others absolutely did ...not just Tom Amity who was the first to blog about it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I remember when Boma was $19 and I thought it was too expensive. Oh my. I've always been a person that the margins are nuts on based on what I would eat at a buffet type, but now nearly all are. It's disgraceful. These moves remind us of why there is such cynicism in this country towards corporations.

As @WDW1974 keeps emphasizing, they are acting like a company going out of business, not generating record profits. It's beyond the point of price gouging.

Perhaps TWDC is really on the ropes because of Shanghai/NGE, Exactly HOW much has Shanghai cost and Disney will not be the first company to fail because of a botched IT infrastructure project how much has NGE cost in reality so far now the rumor mill is saying north of 3 BILLION dollars.

As I've said for the past couple of years Disney is not acting/spending like a healthy company. And as for those Billion Dollar Box Office numbers please remember that Disney only gets about 1/3 of box office revenue.

The question I always ask is why does Disney cut customer facing products and services because of Shanghai related shortfalls yet double down on Stock Repurchase activity, The stock repurchases are strictly optional. Serving paying customers is not.

The ONLY explanation is Iger wants to keep EPS shiny so the analysts don't start asking HARD questions like how much Shanghai and NGE REALLY cost, Why are you cutting back on quality and services at P&R when you have RECORD attendance. What is the REAL story at ESPN as to why you are firing talent which drives viewership and eyeballs.

This is not going to end well.

Last edited:

alphac2005

And perhaps TWDC is really on the ropes because of Shanghai/NGE, Exactly HOW much has Shanghai cost and Disney will not be the first company to fail because of a botched IT infrastructure project how much has NGE cost in reality so far now the rumor mill is saying north of 3 BILLION dollars.

As I've said for the past couple of years Disney is not acting/spending like a healthy company. And as for those Billion Dollar Box Office numbers please remember that Disney only gets about 1/3 of box office revenue.

Agreed. Having been in that industry ages ago, you're dead-on right with the box office. People harp on the international side being gigantic and it varies by country. The studios generally split with the theaters in the States, but many international markets bring in as low as a tenth of the gross. The math is that they brought in more profit from the consumer products licensing related to the film than the actual film by the time it's done.

doctornick

I don't see how that follows. Do companies that are going out of business typically raise prices significantly? That would be... odd. They generally would be lowering prices to get whatever then can before they shut their doors.

Now, Disney not investing much in the parks -- building less, cutting staff and maintenance, offering less customized stuff like the napkins -- that is more (in theory) like a business that is failing. Not the raising prices because demand outstrips supply.

alphac2005

I don't see how that follows. Do companies that are going out of business typically raise prices significantly? That would be... odd. They generally would be lowering prices to get whatever then can before they shut their doors.

Now, Disney not investing much in the parks -- building less, cutting staff and maintenance, offering less customized stuff like the napkins -- that is more (in theory) like a business that is failing. Not the raising prices because demand outstrips supply.

No, it's pretty easy to follow, but there are multiple things occurring here. First of all, they have abandoned their long-standing business structure with a new one that charges premium pricing with the assumption that there is enough pool of patrons to continue paying their prices.

As for the little things, one could look at that as a failing business sign, but it's something that has occurred across the board in this country for more than a decade. From printed napkins to cutting back on expenses, it's all about maximizing profit. Simply a sign of the general spreadsheet driven decisions that are common in big business today.

As for prices and business health, this is something that I've dealt with in my industry for years. Most companies that fail or have issues brewing are because they don't respond to the marketplace. What dooms them? A disconnect and general pricing that is far out of whack. Disappearing big box chains in this country have been getting an easy out in the media with the increase in commerce, but the truth of the matter is that poor executive decisions and pricing that are completely exorbitant compared to their competition.

The issue during the Disney Decline has been, will they finally reach a tipping point when the masses stop responding with their wallets? A median household income that has been stagnant coupled with a new generation that is straddled with massive loan debt upon leaving university continues to tie the hands behind the backs of many with disposable income. On the flip, those with the money to burn (and I think that there are plenty of us here), question why we would ever pay these absurd prices and have been responding accordingly.

Jon81uk

ONLY $10 overpriced. Yup ... coming from a UK-based poster! :)

:)

I was more commenting on the previous poster stating that the 2006 figure adjusted for inflation is $34. Of course the 2006 price was probably too high as well!

And yes coming from UK we may not notice the prices as badly. But I remember on my first trip in 2001 a QS burger and fries was $10 or under, so add a drink and its $12ish or about £7-8. To me that was expensive but acceptable for a theme park, for comparison a McDonalds meal over here was £3.50 and is now £4.50. But now a QS burger is $16-18 with a drink and the $-£ conversion is less favourable we are looking £12+ for that meal. For comparison a regular five guys bacon cheeseburger (two parties) is £8 plus £4 fries and £2.50 drink in London. So Disney is just barely cheaper than five guys.

But back to buffets. $50 is £35. For that price I could get a Pizza Hut meal with drinks and tip for two people! The buffet prices are crazy.

If it weren't for the UK free dining offer we'd be eating QS a lot more and several offsite meals! And even then the Disney hotels are overpriced so I'm not that convinced it's worth it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom