WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

Wdw62114

They need to charge more honestly.
You're right. I won't be going to Disney because I can't afford it nor will I do a character meal because the food is crap. Thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea.

You've chosen to participate in a thread that is all about the rights of the customer and you are mad about a sense of entitlement that these customers have? What did you expect going into this thread? That everybody would think this was a great idea?
So you're saying that disneys increase of prices is affecting your rights as a customer? What rights are those exactly? Im curious

jpittore1

If they increase the character buffet prices they better make sure you get to see all the characters. We were at Tusker House lunch yesterday and in 50-minutes we only had two characters come to our table.

odmichael

Exactly the response I was expecting
I take it back. You're right. We have no rights. I just won't go to Disney along with a whole bunch of other people. Then maybe you will be happy because you don't have to deal with us peasants or Disney will make the upgrades they should have made after people stop going. Either way, you win. Congratulations!

giphy.gif

JWG

If they increase the character buffet prices they better make sure you get to see all the characters. We were at Tusker House lunch yesterday and in 50-minutes we only had two characters come to our table.

Wow, we've had to wait quite awhile for all characters to come around, but not that long. If you'd said something to your server I think they would have made the others happen for you.

jpittore1

Wow, we've had to wait quite awhile for all characters to come around, but not that long. If you'd said something to your server I think they would have made the others happen for you.
It was the Jungle Book Dining package and they were bursting at the seams. All they could do was apologize. I understood, but luckily it wasn't our children's one and only trip.

Wdw62114

I take it back. You're right. We have no rights. I just won't go to Disney along with a whole bunch of other people. Then maybe you will be happy because you don't have to deal with us peasants or Disney will make the upgrades they should have made after people stop going. Either way, you win. Congratulations!

giphy.gif
Has nothing to do with people being "peasants". Has to do with cry babies who feel they have a right to all this Disney magic in their price range. Cry me a river! I will be happy when those idiots stop going. A normal person stops giving money to a business when they constantly feel like their getting screwed, not constantly complain like a child but continue to pay. And thanks for the congrats!

AEfx

The thing is this group is also the one that stalks the Free Dining offers, and then pats themselves on the back for how much value they have gotten out of their vacation. WDW dining prices are becoming more like hotel rack rates or full price airfare. There's the price on the menu, and then there is the "effective" price that people in the restaurant are paying. We see $59 and balk, but if you're on a Free Dining package, the price increase does not have the same effect on you. People on the regular dining plan, are somewhere in the middle. They aren't getting a "free" meal nor are they effectively paying $59 for the meal either.

Free dining isn't offered as much as it used to be, but in any case - it still is going to cost them a whole lot more cash out of pocket than they pay now if they want to keep up their current habits. It's a significant increase for everyone for whom this is a daily activity, in one way or another.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Has nothing to do with people being "peasants". Has to do with cry babies who feel they have a right to all this Disney magic in their price range. Cry me a river! I will be happy when those idiots stop going. A normal person stops giving money to a business when they constantly feel like their getting screwed, not constantly complain like a child but continue to pay. And thanks for the congrats!
It's just a discussion. It's perfectly reasonable and natural for people to not be happy with a price increase when there is no increase in the goods or services provided. It's also possible for someone to be unhappy with the price increase but still be willing to give money to the business.

NearTheEars

Enjoying the dueling buffet threads. Makes me hungry, but I can't even justify paying the current price.
Have wonder what a move like this would do to a place like Hoop-Dee-Doo. With a discount it was $51 a piece for us over the weekend in the balcony.

Considering it has unlimited food and drinks AND a stage show, what are we looking st $70?

WDW1974

Original Poster
And that's the thing - they have gone so far over the line that even people like you and I who were always "meh" about the food prices are seeing it as excessively out of control.

In another post I almost brought up the burger thing - I didn't mind a WDW burger when it was $8 with a nice handful of fries. Lunch was gonna run $11 with drink and tax. Since I'm from the North East, where food is expensive and even then, a McDonalds value meal ran $6 or $7 with drink, so it wasn't crazy expensive to me.

That was a mark-up, IMO, but not really egregious and expected. Now, a McDonalds value meal is $8 (with cheaper options for dollar folks, but those are loss leaders so I don't count them here) and WDW's are like $14 before drink. And the burgers have gotten worse (they used to not be half bad), not to mention the fully-stocked fixings bars have been eroded or eliminated so much since then.

Yes, there absolutely always was a mark up. 30 years ago there was a mark up (I'll bet even @ParentsOf4 doesn't have graphs with WDW burgers versus real world ones!), but it always felt 'fair' ... like you should be paying a bit more because you are at WDW. Then in the early 00s it started to become a situation where the markups started feeling a bit too high. I'd always justify them because I'd have a 20% off DDE (now TiW) Card and an old refillable mug and would often have a meal at Roaring Fork before heading to the MK or The Mara before heading to DAK etc. But the theme park prices just felt too much. I hit a breaking point one year (and I couldn't say when without menu research) when the great turkey sandwich at CHH had 30% of the meat taken away, stopped coming with chips and cole slaw and the price increase by a about 20%. That was sorta my they have gone too far moment. Since then, I largely eat QS at WDW parks very rarely and only when there isn't an option. I'll gladly stop at McD's (or Fuddrucker's if I have more time) at the Crossroads before heading to a Disney park if I am able. I am not mentally feeble. I know Disney's burgers are not that good. And that does leave out the value menu deals that chains are running (like McD's current McPick Two where you get two large sandwiches or one and 10 McNuggets for $5). You add fries and drinks and a family of four can easily have a meal for UNDER $20.

I just don't get the addiction people have for eating Disney food. When portions are smaller all the time and quality is lower and prices have never been higher.

I had one Disney burger last month. At The Mara, 1/3rd Angus BBQ Bacon for $11.49 with fries or cous cous. I had the latter and the entire meal was quite good. I added a child's/small fountain drink for $1.99. So my tab was almost $15 before my friend's 20% CM discount. Even then, it was priced too much. I would place the true value (with Disney still making a very nice profit) at about $7.99.

Oh, and the fixings bar that was a fixture at The Mara (not a great one by any means) since it opened in 2001, disappeared at some point in the last 18 months or so.

People bring up sporting events or movies and those are different. You aren't meant to eat a meal there. You can if you want, that's why it's there, for you to calorie binge in your state of heightened excitement, but we are talking meeting an entire persons nutritional needs for a week that the average person is going to be more lightly to moderately more physically active than normal.

Hell, maybe that's it - this is WDW's way of helping folks not gain "vacation weight". Always thinking about the guest!

It's not a good comparison. It isn't any better than comparing the price of a concert or NBA game to the cost of WDW admission. It is an apples to avocados comparison.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's something folks either get or they don't. Getting it or not has nothing to do with class or wealth - more so having been able to sufficiently observe it. Similarly, how many of the most "luxurious" rooms at WDW would barely qualify as 3.5* elsewhere.

Thing is, the Disney Moms and the Pixie Dusters aren't generally all made of cash. Even the ones who would be considered "well off" spending rack at the monorail resorts are the ones who have three cars to two adults and a mortgage twice what they can afford and are practically month to month if someone loses a job. And many are much lower on the income scale, including those who serve macaroni and cheese out of the box two nights out of the week to continue to afford their nearly doubled in price (tickets, rooms, food already - more food possibly to come) annual Disney trip they have become accustomed to.

This is really the only thing I can think of that would really kick the very folks in the nuts who need it the most.

No, that's true. ... It's sorta like how there are Lifestylers/Bloggers who used to whine about being homeless or talking about sleeping in their cars and now they suddenly have money for Disney meals multiple times each and every week (and these aren't freebies on the company). There's always credit debt and ignoring other important things so long as someone can eat at Tiffins one day and the Boathouse another and the new burger joint at DS another etc etc.

I just don't believe the large chunk of WDW Guests 'with money' (like these Moms you are speaking of) truly have money that they have worked for and earned and built up over years. Real money won't accept those 3-star (you are more generous than I am) rooms for $500 a night or a GREAT discount of ONLY $289 plus tax. That's why the Ritz and J.W. opened, followed by the explosion of high end Hilton properties and, finally, the Four Seasons. That's where the true wealthy with a respect for money and a desire to visit Orlando/WDW/UNI wind up. Places where you can't sit in the lobby with filthy shoes on the furniture or in your jammies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom