WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

jakeman

How about from the newspaper in WDW's back yard (not to mention countless other articles that pop up with a quick google search, but why bother yourself with that, huh??)?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...icket-prices-060312-20120603,0,7241802.column
To be fair, the Orlando Sentinel isn't really regarded as the highest quality newspaper and additionally, they've had a longstanding antagonistic relationship with Disney, dating back to breaking the news that Walt was the one buying property.

They jump at the chance to take a swipe.

They only get their news from legitimate press-like Lou & Ricky
You are about eat up with the social media thing aren't you? It seems like every one of your post is about someone involved or accusing someone of being involved with it.

The problem with showing you proof, would be that you would just dismiss it as you dismiss everything that isn't posted by you.
While applicable to Thick wholeheartedly, the other side of the fence here seems to abide by the same motto at times.

It's interesting that they buried the Universal hike mid-way through the story, which technically, this year, came first.

Just a few observations. It is what it is. Disney markets a fully discretionary product. There is no need to buy anything Disney sells. They can charge what they think the market can bear. We can either pay it or not go.

The value of the cost is pretty much a matter of opinion.

Also to clarify, since I'm fully aware my opinion doesn't really matter, I'm not posting one way or another about the prices, so please don't try to read into this as some sort of defense for Disney.

Buried20KLeague

It's interesting that they buried the Universal hike mid-way through the story, which technically, this year, came first.

Just a few observations. It is what it is. Disney markets a fully discretionary product. There is no need to buy anything Disney sells. They can charge what they think the market can bear. We can either pay it or not go.

The value of the cost is pretty much a matter of opinion.

Also to clarify, since I'm fully aware my opinion doesn't really matter, I'm not posting one way or another about the prices, so please don't try to read into this as some sort of defense for Disney.

I noticed they just tossed in the blurb about Uni too... I'm guessing the bigger negative response to Disney this year is the kids pricing jump.

I agree that it is what it is... I vote with my wallet, as you've said before. I just dislike when people don't look at it objectively. A blanket response of "who cares, I'll pay it, and they should charge MORE!" is just as bad to me as a "the parks aren't worth half that!" response.

The huge hike RIGHT NOW is what I have a problem with. Nothing new (to speak of) is offered. It makes no sense. If they did it next year or the year after when the new stuff is open, at least one could more easily rationalize the jump. But now, when nothing is changed? That's why I say I'm sure the hike is because of FP+ and "next gen". Then they leave the door open next year for another big hike when FL is open.

jakeman

The huge hike RIGHT NOW is what I have a problem with. Nothing new (to speak of) is offered. It makes no sense. If they did it next year or the year after when the new stuff is open, at least one could more easily rationalize the jump. But now, when nothing is changed? That's why I say I'm sure the hike is because of FP+ and "next gen". Then they leave the door open next year for another big hike when FL is open.
As a caveat again, I'm not supporting or deriding the price hike, but in simple economic terms, the price is still not a barrier to entry, so regardless of the offerings, why not increase the price?

If the public is willing to pay more for the same product, that means your product is undervalued (regardless of what our opinion may be). Until there is a drop off in purchases the product's price isn't technically high enough.

I don't think the current offerings, or lack there of, factor into the price of a ticket all that much.

Buried20KLeague

I don't think the current offerings, or lack there of, factor into the price of a ticket all that much.

It does from a PR and Spin perspective. That's all I'm getting at.

It's a lot easier to sell a big hike when there's something you can directly point to. It might still tick some people off, but there's justification (real or forced).

Kinda like at Disneyland. There's something to easily point to in the DCA expansion opening next week. It doesn't mean that everyone is cool with it... But it's better from a PR perspective.

jakeman

It does from a PR and Spin perspective. That's all I'm getting at.
Ah, I gotcha now.

Perhaps the numbers point to palatablity not being a factor in raising prices?

Also, $89 for a one day ticket makes $50 a day for a 4-day ticket (made up number!) look a whole lot better.

I would be very interested to see what the average day cost for a non-annual passholder ticket is. I would guess, with absolutely no facts other than my gut that it is around $55 a day.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ah, I gotcha now.

Also, $89 for a one day ticket makes $50 a day for a 4-day ticket (made up number!) look a whole lot better.

I would be very interested to see what the average day cost for a non-annual passholder ticket is. I would guess, with absolutely no facts other than my gut that it is around $55 a day.
Pretty close. When I look through my clients the average ticket is around 6 days. If we use a park hopper ticket as a base of comparison it comes to about $60 per day.

Buried20KLeague

Ah, I gotcha now.

And that makes a good point. If I were Disney, I'd be marketing hard and putting this front and center. When called for comment by these folks writing articles, push that idea (instead of not giving a comment). TELL people what to think, rather than letting them think on their own.

But like I mentioned earlier, the toughest pill to swallow is the kids price coming up to even with adult. That to me is just crazy, no matter how you look at it. And more importantly for us fans, long term, to me it shows a major shift in philosphy that could have far-reaching long-term implications.

WDW1974

Ricky does a really professional and excellent job with the 'Inside the Magic' podcast. My wife and I have been enjoying listening to him for about six years. You're very right that he does express his opinion about issues, but at times, you get the feeling of a tad bit of reservation considering he gets plenty of access with the company and doesn't appear to want to push too hard against them. That might not be the case, but it comes across as that at times when listening.

Bingo.

Pay no attention to the extremely large stationary object in EE, for I shall receive free cruises and access to events and people for turning the blind eye.

For example.

Ricky is just like Mongello, just like Corless, just like Lange (and his wife), just like all of them really.

Wouldn't you like to be getting on a plane and flying to Anaheim on the Mouse this week? Having someone great you at LAX with a car and drive you down to the resort where they check you in to your comped or 'media rate' room at the DLH? Have someone hand you an envelope with meal vouchers and tix (which you probably don't need, but your traveling companion(s) might)? How about that bag of 'media' swag with LE pins and vinyls and tees and towels and caps celebrating DCA 2.0's debut? How about going to the media party and hanging with C and D list celebs and a few A-listers from ABC that have no choice but to show up?

You think you're going to bite that hand by talking about the wretched way the same company that is pimping you runs its O-Town ops?

You aren't dealing with reality. And I have been to Disney's junkets going all the way back to the summer of 1990. Disney knows how to buy people quite well without ever explicitly saying a word.

menamechris

To be fair, the Orlando Sentinel isn't really regarded as the highest quality newspaper and additionally, they've had a longstanding antagonistic relationship with Disney, dating back to breaking the news that Walt was the one buying property.

They jump at the chance to take a swipe.

Just gotta ask - Where you get this from? The Sentinel is one of the most read and widely circulated newspapers in the country. They may not be as established as other papers that have been at the top for several decades, but they are certainly credible and respected in the journalism communtiy.

Also, the Orlando Sentinel has anything but an antagonistic relatonship with Disney. In fact, on any given day, the paper practically promotes the park in ways they do not have to. (Do locals REALLY care about new entertainment offerings at WDW?) The Sentinel should probably be on Disney's payroll for all the publicity and praise they get. So, from someone who has read the Orlando Sentinel on a weekly basis for years....if the newspaper is being critical of ANYTHING the mouse is doing - its not only rare, its significant...

The Empress Lilly

Wow...just when they were starting to look like a class act, Universal goes and pulls something petty like this. Go figure...
Universal always follows a WDW price increase, down to the last penny. It is deliberate strategy: Universal does not want to market itself as the cheaper alternative park.

If WDW tomorrow raises its one-day admission to $89.25, then Monday morning Universal's price will be raised to $89.25 too.

captainkidd

Universal always follows a WDW price increase, down to the last penny. It is deliberate strategy: Universal does not want to market itself as the cheaper alternative park.

If WDW tomorrow raises its one-day admission to $89.25, then Monday morning Universal's price will be raised to $89.25 too.

It's the other way around. Universal raised it's prices first. Then Disney did it. Then, just 2 weeks later, Universal did it again.

That's just petty and lame.

The Empress Lilly

Universal doesn't mind being more expensive than WDW - they bullishly increased before WDW this year.
The point is that Universal will not allow its price (for single-day, one park admission) to fall below Disney's. This is not out of pettiness, but by deliberate strategy.

I wonder whether Universal increased first this time, to the highest pricing level in the US, as a show of force, to show that momentum is with Universal, and that it is the park with the highest value. But I do not not if this was by deliberate marketing strategy, or meant as a statement of intent.

JT3000

It's the other way around. Universal raised it's prices first. Then Disney did it. Then, just 2 weeks later, Universal did it again.

That's just petty and lame.

You're forgetting that Disney raised their price MORE the first time around, hence Universal "needing" a 2nd price hike to match. All price hikes are equally petty and unnecessary.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Interesting how when Uni raises prices it's deliberate strategy, petty, lame, and shady. When Disney raises prices it's pure greed.

misterID

But that doesn't explain a second increase in two weeks.

It's definitely not cool, but its the theme park business, with one trying to stay in the other's league, and also trying to knock off days a vactioning family can spend at the competition, in the long run.

But we're also talking value for the price hike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom