WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

nepalostparks

It's definitely not cool, but its the theme park business, with one trying to stay in the other's league by knocking off days a vactioning family can spend at the competition, in the long run.

If it were the other way around though, would you (or others) still be arguing that same point?

misterID

If it were the other way around though, would you (or others) still be arguing that same point?

What? You mean, if WDW was building a bunch of amazing attractions and UNI was investing in Next Gen and not showing anything but a clone attraction and some M&G, while not doing anything for it's other parks for years that they still raised prices on, as justifications for price increases?

Yes, I would.

nepalostparks

What? You mean, if WDW was building a bunch of amazing attractions and UNI was investing in Next Gen and not showing anything but a clone attraction and some M&G, while not doing anything for it's other parks for years that they still raised prices on, as justifications for price increases?

Yes, I would.

No, I mean arguing that "its the theme park business, with one trying to stay in the other's league by knocking off days a vactioning family can spend at the competition, in the long run."

Which is what you just said above. This second price increase from Universal has little to do with what they have recently or are currently building, but more with matching the guys down the road.

For that matter, versus last year, they have lost a major attraction (Jaws) and its surrounding retail, food service and landscaping. Despicable Me is replacing an attraction, so that's a wash.

misterID

No, I mean arguing that "its the theme park business, with one trying to stay in the other's league by knocking off days a vactioning family can spend at the competition, in the long run."

Which is what you just said above. This second price increase from Universal has little to do with what they have recently or are currently building, but more with matching the guys down the road.

For that matter, versus last year, they have lost a major attraction (Jaws) and its surrounding retail, food service and landscaping. Despicable Me is replacing an attraction, so that's a wash.

I said it wasn't cool, and that it was business, which you decided to leave out. Like I've said, if disney thinks they can get away with it, more power to them, but it still isn't cool.

You guys take any criticism towards Disney WAY too personal.

And you're acting like you don't know UNI is still adding more attractions to its parks...

Plus, it's redoing it's mediocre attractions an upgrading them, something they didn't do with DM's predecessor.

nepalostparks

I said it wasn't cool, and that it was business, which you decided to leave out. Like I've said, if disney thinks they can get away with it, more power to them. But it still isn't cool.

You guys take any criticism towards Disney WAY too personal.

And you're acting like you don't know UNI is still adding more attractions to its parks...

Plus, it's redoing it's mediocre attractions an upgrading them, something they didn't do with DM's predecessor.

My point was it's simply a business decision, and can hardly be justified solely on past/future projects.

I didn't take it as a criticism of Disney. I was simply looking at it as a "what if it was the other way around" situation. But if we're lumping people together, I find it funny how "you guys" will rush to defend Universal on something that "you guys" would be condemning if it was Disney doing it.

Universal over the last few years has definitely been making some marked improvement, this year adding a parade to its lineup, and the likely (though not yet announced) Potter expansion is only going to further cement it as a viable choice for dollars and days of someone's Central Florida vacation. The step up in competition is a good thing, and I certainly don't look negatively at Universal for that!

misterID

My point was it's simply a business decision, and can hardly be justified solely on past/future projects.

I didn't take it as a criticism of Disney. I was simply looking at it as a "what if it was the other way around" situation. But if we're lumping people together, I find it funny how "you guys" will rush to defend Universal on something that "you guys" would be condemning if it was Disney doing it.

Universal over the last few years has definitely been making some marked improvement, this year adding a parade to its lineup, and the likely (though not yet announced) Potter expansion is only going to further cement it as a viable choice for dollars and days of someone's Central Florida vacation. The step up in competition is a good thing, and I certainly don't look negatively at Universal for that!

It's not simply a business decision. One group is investing in their parks, the other is not. Nobody enjoys price increases but you have to be real and look at the situation and see which one makes the most sense. WDW isn't doing anything to make me rush to their defense over. I did when Staggs stepped in over the FLE and forced them to add the SD mine train ride. I very much applauded him for it, and I still have faith in the guy, but that is dimishing fast. And we are aware of inside info on this site, right? That's the good thing about this place. We do have an idea of what's going on.

And yes, when WDW continues to stay stagnet and destroy great rides (and parks) and not do anything to others but still raise prices for them, while on the other side of the country, the company is doing everything UNI is doing for DLR and WDW isn't doing anything that isn't forced on them, that's not going to make many people very happy.

As for the UNI Vs WDW thing: UNI is making up for their screw ups and investing in new cutting edge attractions, WDW isn't. Plain and simple. And yeah, I will jump to UNI's defense when people ignore this fact.

nepalostparks

It's not simply a business decision. One group is investing in their parks, the other is not. Nobody enjoys price increases but you have to be real and look at the situation and see which one makes the most sense. WDW isn't doing anything to make me rush to their defense over. I did when Staggs stepped in over the FLE and forced them to add the SD mine train ride. I very much applauded him for it, and I still have faith in the guy, but that is dimishing fast. And we are aware of inside info on this site, right? That's the good thing about this place. We do have an idea of what's going on.

And yes, when WDW continues to stay stagnet and destroy great rides (and parks) and not do anything to others but still raise prices for them, while on the other side of the country, the company is doing everything UNI is doing for DLR, that's not going to make many people very happy.

As for the UNI Vs WDW thing: UNI is making up for their screw ups and investing in new cutting edge attractions, WDW isn't. Plain and simple. And yeah, I will jump to UNI's defense when people ignore this fact.

I understand your point that Universal is currently investing more in their Orlando parks than Disney is. I'm not arguing on that point at all.

What I am questioning is the motive behind a second price increase in two weeks. If your argument is its justified based on the additions to the parks, then why wasn't the increase made in one shot two weeks ago? It has nothing to do with what they are adding or plussing.... it has to do with the fact they can squeeze another dollar per ticket out of their guests because the guys down the road raised their rates to that amount. Plain and simple, the second increase is about extra profit because they can, not because of any current or coming expenses.

As for the whole WDW vs. UNI thing... I don't get it. They both have positive and negative aspects, in terms of attractions, maintenance, short and long term plans, etc. I don't side with either the "doom & gloom" crowd, nor do I fall in line with the "pixie dusters". But I do point out hypocrisy when group or the other likes to pretend their "side" is always right, even when they would jump on the other "side" for the same thing on any given issue.

misterID

I understand your point that Universal is currently investing more in their Orlando parks than Disney is. I'm not arguing on that point at all.

What I am questioning is the motive behind a second price increase in two weeks. If your argument is its justified based on the additions to the parks, then why wasn't the increase made in one shot two weeks ago? It has nothing to do with what they are adding or plussing.... it has to do with the fact they can squeeze another dollar per ticket out of their guests because the guys down the road raised their rates to that amount. Plain and simple, the second increase is about extra profit because they can, not because of any current or coming expenses.

As for the whole WDW vs. UNI thing... I don't get it. They both have positive and negative aspects, in terms of attractions, maintenance, short and long term plans, etc. I don't side with either the "doom & gloom" crowd, nor do I fall in line with the "pixie dusters". But I do point out hypocrisy when group or the other likes to pretend their "side" is always right, even when they would jump on the other "side" for the same thing.

Dude, I've said it already, twice, IT WASN'T COOL WHAT THEY DID. It is the themepark business. I said, before, that it was about staying level with the competition so you can try to take days away from them. Yes, it's about greed. Someone is just giving you more bang for your buck.

The problem is, UNI is doing everything people here wish WDW was doing for their parks. That's what it comes down to. You see one park actually care about making cutting edge attractions, staying relevent, trying to be the king of theme parks, and the other who's only worried about making their budget and their bonus.

I'm also not so sure the people running WDW actually like WDW... Or theme parks period, for that matter. The same can't be said for DLR.

When you see very cool things happening to other theme parks around the one you love, including parks that belong to the same company, and all the missed opportunities and refusal to plus the parks, it doesn't make you all that happy or willing to jump to their defense in the face of criticism. How can you? Why should you? You're contributing to the problem when you do that.

And it wasn't that long ago that the shoe was on the other foot, regarding UNI and WDW.

nepalostparks

... Yes, it's about greed. ...

That was the only point I was arguing, which you danced around saying until this post. You can add onto it as much as you want with "Universal is doing more/better/etc." but it comes down to greed, pure and simple.

I don't disagree with most of your other points, either. But I was focusing on this one topic in this discussion.

misterID

That was the only point I was arguing, which you danced around saying until this post. You can add onto it as much as you want with "Universal is doing more/better/etc." but it comes down to greed, pure and simple.

I don't disagree with most of your other points, either. But I was focusing on this one topic in this discussion.

How was I dancing around it when I said it in my FIRST POST? And then in my responses to you?

*face palm*

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its ridiculous that Universal has done this, but not quite as sad as the fan boys desperation in using this as a defence for their favourite corporate monster.

nepalostparks

How was I dancing around it when I said it in my FIRST POST? And then in my responses to you?

*face palm*

You said "it's not cool" and "it's a business decision" and then justified it by saying Universal is currently giving more. It wasn't until that last response that you admitted the bottom line - it's just plain greed.

It would be the same if it was the opposite scenario.... if Disney did (or if in another week, they do) raise the prices another dollar, it would also be greed, plain and simple.

No need to hit yourself in the face over it.

captainkidd

Interesting how when Uni raises prices it's deliberate strategy, petty, lame, and shady. When Disney raises prices it's pure greed.

Simply referring to the daily passes, I really don't have an issue with that. Of course, I don't use either of them as a Passholder. One could argue it's all about greed, but the fact is, if people will pay for it, why not do it?

My only gripe with Universal is what they did is almost school yard antics. They slapped Disney. Disney slapped back. Now Universal slaps Disney again.

JT3000

I find it amusing that you're all sitting here arguing about who's more greedy when both resorts now cost exactly the same (for 1 day.) :ROFLOL:

My only gripe with Universal is what they did is almost school yard antics. They slapped Disney. Disney slapped back. Now Universal slaps Disney again.

They're both acting like children. The sad thing is, some people here somehow seem disappointed that Disney didn't get the last slap. They're conveniently ignoring the fact that Disney purposely 1-uped Universal's initial price hike with that extra dollar in the first place.

misterID

You said "it's not cool" and "it's a business decision" and then justified it by saying Universal is currently giving more. It wasn't until that last response that you admitted the bottom line - it's just plain greed.

It would be the same if it was the opposite scenario.... if Disney did (or if in another week, they do) raise the prices another dollar, it would also be greed, plain and simple.

No need to hit yourself in the face over it.

Yeah, I kind of do. Before this gets into a debate on capitalism, and I'm accused of attacking my own country and causing terrorist attacks, and world hatred of America again, all competitive business is based on greed. There's no such thing as selfless competition in the corporate world. It's about squeezing as much money out of the consumer as you can and strangling the competition. Not one person here ever said UNI was above this, or wasn't greedy... I didn't think I had to, but since you're just fixated on the word greed, let me say it again...

No, you don't get what I am saying. You just want me to stop at greed, that's not what my comment was about, or what this conversation was about. It's always been about value of the price increase. No matter how greedy or petty and lame it is, UNI still has a valid reason or excuse, whichever you prefer, when all is said and done and the pettiness fades on this issue, when you take the eyeball test, they are currently investing a lot of money in their parks. You can actually see the investment.

No one is an angel here when it comes to prices.

captainkidd

I find it amusing that you're all sitting here arguing about who's more greedy when both resorts now cost exactly the same (for 1 day.) :ROFLOL:

They're both acting like children. The sad thing is, some people here somehow seem disappointed that Disney didn't get the last slap. They're conveniently ignoring the fact that Disney purposely 1-uped Universal's initial price hike with that extra dollar in the first place.

I'm not trying to defend Disney's decision to raise prices. If you look back, I was very rough on them for doing so, but hey, that's business. When one park raises prices, the other does. What Universal did however, is an unprecedented act of petty and spiteful greed.

alphac2005

Ricky is just like Mongello, just like Corless, just like Lange (and his wife), just like all of them really.

Wouldn't you like to be getting on a plane and flying to Anaheim on the Mouse this week? Having someone great you at LAX with a car and drive you down to the resort where they check you in to your comped or 'media rate' room at the DLH? Have someone hand you an envelope with meal vouchers and tix (which you probably don't need, but your traveling companion(s) might)? How about that bag of 'media' swag with LE pins and vinyls and tees and towels and caps celebrating DCA 2.0's debut? How about going to the media party and hanging with C and D list celebs and a few A-listers from ABC that have no choice but to show up?

You think you're going to bite that hand by talking about the wretched way the same company that is pimping you runs its O-Town ops?

You aren't dealing with reality. And I have been to Disney's junkets going all the way back to the summer of 1990. Disney knows how to buy people quite well without ever explicitly saying a word.

Back in my former life :), I was in the journalism side of the entertainment business and while it took some time to get the Walt Disney Company to pay attention to us, once that occurred, it was the pot of gold. Whether it was slides or prints that we needed for publication, Disney had no problem with getting whatever we needed sent via overnight or things like ensuring that I and a companion would be assured seats at the Academy Awards through the ABC side of the business. You are quite correct, they do it all without saying it.

Florida_is_hot

Let me defend price hikes,

When Disney, Universal or anybody hikes prices they do so out somebody said spiteful greed ..... so what???

Do you think corporations stay in business by being generous?
How naive.

They raise the prices and people keep coming.
I read even after the price increases crowd level this week were higher than average.

Pay the price and stop whining or do not go to Walt Disney World or Universal Studios.

Me I rather pay $200 a day and go to a theme park and not have to line up over an hour for a 5 minute attraction. Maybe the price is still too cheap.

G00fyDad

Pay the price and stop whining or do not go to Walt Disney World or Universal Studios.

But....but...but....people aren't getting into the parks for the prices they want! That isn't fair! Oh well, maybe if all the people that say they might stop going because of the price hikes actually do stop going it will show Disney a thing or two. Oh who am I kidding. Disney will continue to raise the prices, people will continue to gripe about it, and those people will continue to go regardless. :) Personally, I'd prefer less people in the parks. For some reason, since our October 2007 trip, the parks have seemed to be the most packed that they have ever been for our trips. Before that it was relatively empty in October. Bring back the pre-2007 October crowds for us.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If WDW tomorrow raises its one-day admission to $89.25, then Monday morning Universal's price will be raised to $89.25 too.

But where in recent history has EITHER park raised their prices twice in the same season... let alone twice in less than a month?

I can't remember any...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom