WDW ticket price increases coming June 3rd

*just walked in and looks around*

Am I in the right thread?? I was expecting to be able to moan about prices .. haha

i agree lets get back to the real issue about the price increases. and charging kids so small they cant ride half the rides THE ADULT PRICES,,, and why cant we get this thread back to front page of web site, must be disney GODS forcing us UNDERGROUND

Epcotian

Interesting, Parentsof4!

Listen, guys, I still see WDW as a quality vacation. There's no place else I'd rather vacation. And I understand that there are going to be annual price increases. I have known my entire adult life that everything at WDW ends at a cash register. I don't have a problem with that.

I also understand the corporate world we live in, where profit maximization is valued more highly than experience maximization. That's not going to change. Walt and Roy are gone, the business climate has changed, and their attitude is just not going to come back. Really, they were unique in their own day, let alone in this one.

It's the rate of increase that bothers me. I'm not priced out of a WDW vacation. Well, I will be for a while as my kids are approaching the college years. But, once we're through that, I'll be able to visit and hopefully bring my kids and their families along.

But, the rate of increase leaves me with a negative feeling about Disney. Just a bad taste in my mouth. It simply lessens my desire to go. And I hate that because I don't have a replacement destination that really appeals to me.

However, I'll get over it. And so will most WDW fans. And Disney knows it. And if we don't, they won't miss us. Others will come.

aladdin2007

We love WDW and think it's a wonderful place to vacation. Unfortunately, loving WDW is a bit like falling in love with a movie star. You feel giddy, read everything you can, devote hours of time, and spend all sorts of money. Meanwhile the movie star doesn't even know you exist.

Sadly, corporate Disney seems to go out of it's way to keep it a one-way relationship. Their attitude is: "It's OK if you spend your money but don't bother us with your suggestions, we'll raise prices, and go 20 years (14 and counting!) between adding theme parks." It really stinks being treated this way. I deserve more respect! :cry:

Well whats worse is over a decade of the same hideous MK parade. :brick:

I was really dismayed when I found out that they increased child's AP prices to match the adult pricing. We are FL residents and usually go twice a year for a week or so, and the seasonal pass was our ticket of choice.

I have been just dumbfounded over the increase, and DH and I have been talking long and hard about it for the past few days. I just can't stomach paying nearly $300 for a ticket for my 3 year old. He loves the parks and really enjoys going, but it just seems like a slap in the face to price his ticket the same as mine. Its not like he is going to drive in and park his cozy coupe, or be dining solo at WS for lunch, or staying on property alone. He can't take advantage of any of the discounts, he can't even ride Thunder Mountain!

We've already got our APs for our Oct, and our DS will still be two, so we're going to go ahead with that trip, but next year, (unless they do some awesome military discounts again), we're going to skip Disney altogether. I'd feel better about paying adult prices when he hits at least 44 inches and can get on some of the bigger rides. For me it is a mental thing, we could afford the tickets, but I just can't wrap my mind around inclusive AP pricing.

Instead we're going to go to the beaches resort, where for $3,000 we can get a room, food, drinks, entertainment, and free babysitting for the kids. I still love Disney, but I think we need to see other people for a while. :)

artvandelay

I mentioned this much earlier in the thread, but it's been lost in the shuffle, so I'm gonna post it again. Dangit.

I don't think it's coincidence we're seeing this big jump with the roll-out of FP+. I think they've decided that rather than offering it to people as a pay service, they're mandating that EVERYONE pay for it, with no other option.

That would make sense... It's the fastest way to recoup a big portion of the 2 billion investment... It would take a whole heck of a lot longer to get that back if it was optional, or only offered to certain guests.

To me, it's the only thing that makes sense. The hike isn't tied to new attractions and experiences (obviously), but rather to new costs that WDW is about to incur due to FP+.

Then next year, there will be ANOTHER large jump to coincide with the FL opening.

Truth.

I was really dismayed when I found out that they increased child's AP prices to match the adult pricing. We are FL residents and usually go twice a year for a week or so, and the seasonal pass was our ticket of choice.

I have been just dumbfounded over the increase, and DH and I have been talking long and hard about it for the past few days. I just can't stomach paying nearly $300 for a ticket for my 3 year old. He loves the parks and really enjoys going, but it just seems like a slap in the face to price his ticket the same as mine. Its not like he is going to drive in and park his cozy coupe, or be dining solo at WS for lunch, or staying on property alone. He can't take advantage of any of the discounts, he can't even ride Thunder Mountain!

We've already got our APs for our Oct, and our DS will still be two, so we're going to go ahead with that trip, but next year, (unless they do some awesome military discounts again), we're going to skip Disney altogether. I'd feel better about paying adult prices when he hits at least 44 inches and can get on some of the bigger rides. For me it is a mental thing, we could afford the tickets, but I just can't wrap my mind around inclusive AP pricing.

Instead we're going to go to the beaches resort, where for $3,000 we can get a room, food, drinks, entertainment, and free babysitting for the kids. I still love Disney, but I think we need to see other people for a while. :)

i couldnt agree more , ive been saying how unfair it is to charge kids same as adults let alone, a 3 year old not tall enough to ride half the ride or even remember much.. maybe they coulda raised kid restriction to 6 years old to 9 then they have all the options ,, HEY DISNEY ITS NOT JUST ABOUT STUPID PHOTO OPS FOR 3 YEAR OLD to Justify the PRICE!!!! shoot what do we have to do say our 3 year olds are 2 just to combat this idiotcy... :hurl:

Yeah, I enjoy Wishes every time but have grown really tired of both MK parades.

I MISS THE BEST PARADE EVER..... BLOCK PARTY BASH,,, i heard from C>M they shortened and are rushing thru to pay less for security, and speed it thru, Remember when KIDS use to DANCE WITH MR POTATO HEAD,, that was AWESOME,,, not only did they take that away, they wont even offer a seperate place to meet MR POTATO HEAD like in a A.C area.. that would be cool.. and i dont want to hear about liscense blah blah blah:mad:

devoy1701

i couldnt agree more , ive been saying how unfair it is to charge kids same as adults let alone, a 3 year old not tall enough to ride half the ride or even remember much.. maybe they coulda raised kid restriction to 6 years old to 9 then they have all the options ,, HEY DISNEY ITS NOT JUST ABOUT STUPID PHOTO OPS FOR 3 YEAR OLD to Justify the PRICE!!!! shoot what do we have to do say our 3 year olds are 2 just to combat this idiotcy... :hurl:

I'm not in this situation yet (don't have kids yet), but I definitely think that parents with children between the ages of 3 and 9 who are/have been passholders have the most to be upset about for this exact reason.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In regards to the price difference between an adult and a child.....

There is one primary reason for this and it is not at all unique to Disney. That reason is marketing. A 5 year old takes up the same space at a movie theater as an 18 year old does. The financial impact of a 5 year old on a theme park, is again, largely the same as an adult. So why offer reduced pricing? Families with kids tend to come more often if the kids are less expensive. For all intents and purposes kids tickets are on sale to get the adults to come.

When it comes to that Disney appears to be doing with APs, it suggests that they have data that suggests that a reduced price child AP is not increasing the purchase of adult APs enough to justify the loss in ticket price. It is a risky move, but I do not see them making it on a whim. We shall see how it plays out. If it only lasts a year or two, then we know that it backfired. If it sticks, that more than likely means that the numbers ticket in Disney's favor.

captainkidd

In regards to the price difference between an adult and a child.....

There is one primary reason for this and it is not at all unique to Disney. That reason is marketing. A 5 year old takes up the same space at a movie theater as an 18 year old does. The financial impact of a 5 year old on a theme park, is again, largely the same as an adult. So why offer reduced pricing? Families with kids tend to come more often if the kids are less expensive. For all intents and purposes kids tickets are on sale to get the adults to come.

When it comes to that Disney appears to be doing with APs, it suggests that they have data that suggests that a reduced price child AP is not increasing the purchase of adult APs enough to justify the loss in ticket price. It is a risky move, but I do not see them making it on a whim. We shall see how it plays out. If it only lasts a year or two, then we know that it backfired. If it sticks, that more than likely means that the numbers ticket in Disney's favor.

This theory holds true for airlines I find, as well as with sporting events or concerts, but not much else in the entertainment industry. You mentioned movies. There are separate prices for adults and children. Same goes for every other theme/amusement park that I know of.

By the same theory, you could say that a child is taking up a seat at any of the restaurants on property and therefore should have to pay the same price as an adult for their food.

nepalostparks

This theory holds true for airlines I find, as well as with sporting events or concerts, but not much else in the entertainment industry. You mentioned movies. There are separate prices for adults and children. Same goes for every other theme/amusement park that I know of.

By the same theory, you could say that a child is taking up a seat at any of the restaurants on property and therefore should have to pay the same price as an adult for their food.

Many amusement parks don't price tickets by specific age, but rather height, which in my opinion makes more sense. Height is easily verifiable, and is a more fair marker based on the rides you have and their height restrictions.

Looking at restaurants, I would say besides just the seat, you also need to factor in the amount of food/drink as well. On average, younger children will eat and drink less than an adult. In that case, a pricing difference makes more sense.

captainkidd

Many amusement parks don't price tickets by specific age, but rather height, which in my opinion makes more sense. Height is easily verifiable, and is a more fair marker based on the rides you have and their height restrictions.

Looking at restaurants, I would say besides just the seat, you also need to factor in the amount of food/drink as well. On average, younger children will eat and drink less than an adult. In that case, a pricing difference makes more sense.

It absolutely makes more sense - But this is Disney and money we're talking about.:lol:

I love Ohana, but it drives me crazy that I have to order the kids version of the all you can eat meal at dinner for my boys. They barely touch any of it. They'd be much happier with a bowl of mac n cheese.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

It is the same marketing dynamic. Mom and dad want to go out to dinner but do not want to drop $50 on little Johnny and Sally to do so. By offering a cheep kids meal consisting of even cheaper food, mom and dad can eat their $25 steak and $10 margaritas while the kids eat $2 worth of chicken fingers for $7.

captainkidd

It is the same marketing dynamic. Mom and dad want to go out to dinner but do not want to drop $50 on little Johnny and Sally to do so. By offering a cheep kids meal consisting of even cheaper food, mom and dad can eat their $25 steak and $10 margaritas while the kids eat $2 worth of chicken fingers for $7.

Tell that to Ohana for me please.:lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Tell that to Ohana for me please.:lol:
Yeah. Disney buffets have gotten really out of hand on the price. So much so that we rarely go to them any more. It is a shame to as Ohana and Boma were two of our favorite places, but I just can't justify the price when we can go to Jiko for just a few bucks more.

captainkidd

Yeah. Disney buffets have gotten really out of hand on the price. So much so that we rarely go to them any more. It is a shame to as Ohana and Boma were two of our favorite places, but I just can't justify the price when we can go to Jiko for just a few bucks more.

We still go to Ohana as I love the main courses, the bread and the dessert. As for character meals, 1 a trip is it for us now. They're just crazy.

Jimmy Thick

Funny, its seems the only people upset about this impossible rise of ticket prices are the people with too much time on thier hands posting in internet forums. I see no lines of protest anywhere else.

Jimmy Thick-iam not sayin', Iam just saying.

Jimmy Thick

....said the board's resident troll.

Then please link me to some substantial bad press Disney has received over raising their ticket prices beyond the complaining of a couple people on internet forums.

Show me where Disney had to go into spin mode to make this price increase work. Show me where the general public, outside of about 50 people posting on a internet forum, are pressuring Disney to lower prices, which does actually work, ask Netflix.

I'll wait patiently under my bridge.

Jimmy Thick-LePwned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom