WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

Sweet Thing

What could happen if Disney wanted to call their bluff and still offer entertainment is replace beauty and the beast live on-stage with something like the Pixar live orchestra show. Actually I wonder if the philharmonic will be playing on the castle stage when MK reopens? That would be a good place for them (and reminiscent of the good ole days! Which never went away at Disneyland).

But those changes aren’t overnight. Shows would have to be written, approved, programmed, rehearsed, etc.
They could also use the parade and show performers who dance instead. Kind of like at FOTLK only certain roles (singers, the two birds, gymnasts, and fire guys) are Equity. Those animal dancers in the show could learn the other roles. The show would have to close and re-choreograph to lower the difficulty level. Those new performers could lip sync like they do in parades and trolley. It might be difficult to replace the stuntmen and gymnasts, though.

spock8113

If Disney isn't looking at this: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/
they should be and before you go you should look it over as well. The state is an epidemic center for the entire country and Disney's going to open their parks while Florida sends their kids back to school? This is why the Disney Unions and Teachers' Union are so angry.
There is total disregard for these facts that affect everyone's health. Minimizing this is why the states ER's are getting now overloaded.
With all the construction and changes along with the risk of catching Corona, I don't need to see Figmund or the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House that bad. I will not be going anytime soon.

Lilofan

Just a point of order, the unions representing most cast members at WDW are very happy with the reopening and thrilled to be collecting dues again. It is only one union representing one of the smallest groups of cast members that is upset.
Bingo. Unions are a business too and it's not a non profit.

lewisc

Just a point of order, the unions representing most cast members at WDW are very happy with the reopening and thrilled to be collecting dues again. It is only one union representing one of the smallest groups of cast members that is upset.
To be fair it's the only union representing CMs where maintaining social distancing isn't easily doable. Disney and the union cant agree on mask usage or testing as workarounds.

Maybe I'm too cynical...I think Disney is happy being able to be able to blame a third party, union, for one cost saving cutback.

asianway

To be fair it's the only union representing CMs where maintaining social distancing isn't easily doable. Disney and the union cant agree on mask usage or testing as workarounds.

Maybe I'm too cynical...I think Disney is happy being able to be able to blame a third party, union, for one cost saving cutback.
Anyone know how much a rapid COVID test costs?

peter11435

I don’t think I would agree with that first statement at all. Certainly they work in close contact with one another in some roles, but equity performers have less contact and far less close contact with guests than most other roles.

lewisc

I don’t think I would agree with that first statement at all. Certainly they work in close contact with one another in some roles, but equity performers have less contact and far less close contact with guests than most other roles.
Contact with other CMs (performers) not guests. Union is concerned about the health of members. I agree CM can be separated from guest, with a few exceptions.

I didnt quote PP, cost of testing may be on reason why Disney would rather keep equity staffed attractions closed then address the, in my HMO, issues.

TJJohn12

Equity also has to hold Parks to high standards because eventually movie production and theatre is going to come back and whatever they agree to at WDW is going to set a precedent for those productions.

Equity and SAG are two different things. Equity precedent would only impact Equity stages. That would still have a huge impact, but SAG and AEA don't necessarily take cues from each other. And AEA has had a rocky relationship with Disney over the years - including being on the blacklist at times - so I can't see Equity taking cues from a Disney opening, nor most Equity houses trying that argument either: most know Disney floats on and off the list and don't want to be there themselves.

TrainsOfDisney

I wonder if they are planning on just changing all of the shows rather than bringing back the ones that Equity is a part of?

Definitely a possibility. Nothing is stopping them from putting in 3rd party acts into theaters like Indy, Beauty And the Beast and Nemo. Festival of Lion King and frozen sing along can be reworked without equity.

They could also use it as a nice excuse not to reopen those shows until things are better in the economy.

discos

Definitely a possibility. Nothing is stopping them from putting in 3rd party acts into theaters like Indy, Beauty And the Beast and Nemo. Festival of Lion King and frozen sing along can be reworked without equity.

They could also use it as a nice excuse not to reopen those shows until things are better in the economy.
I honestly don't know if FOTLK could be reworked since there are so many equity performers in the show- 4 singers, the lead dancer and aerialist, 4 tumble monkeys, and the fire-breather. It's just the main dancers that are non-equity. They could do the show with a vocal track but the performers wouldn't be able to speak live and it would just be the non-equity dancers. I honestly think the show would be a mess if they tried to rework it all non-equity. I think unless a deal is struck with Equity, this show and all the others will remain closed until its safe to reopen.

Lilofan

I honestly don't know if FOTLK could be reworked since there are so many equity performers in the show- 4 singers, the lead dancer and aerialist, 4 tumble monkeys, and the fire-breather. It's just the main dancers that are non-equity. They could do the show with a vocal track but the performers wouldn't be able to speak live and it would just be the non-equity dancers. I honestly think the show would be a mess if they tried to rework it all non-equity. I think unless a deal is struck with Equity, this show and all the others will remain closed until its safe to reopen.
My prediction is that Equity will work it out. The additional stimulus weekly checks that Equity collects while staying at home runs out next week.

TrainsOfDisney

It would be a very different show but the non-equity dancers along with the puppeteers in the floats and Timon could certainly pull off a show. They could also potentially add in 3rd party acrobats, like the ones who perform in Africa to replace the tumble monkeys and get some of the drummers to replace the fire spinner. The show is pretty modular in its design.

A show like finding Nemo couldn’t happen without equity though.

TrainsOfDisney

My prediction is that Equity will work it out. The additional stimulus weekly checks that Equity collects while staying at home runs out next week.

Possibly, the vast majority of equity actors will be out of work the rest of the year regardless. 40+ broadway theaters plus who knows how many national tours are totally shut down.

Lilofan

Possibly, the vast majority of equity actors will be out of work the rest of the year regardless. 40+ broadway theaters plus who knows how many national tours are totally shut down.
True and that's dire straits for them and the surrounding businesses in those areas.

Sweet Thing

It would be a very different show but the non-equity dancers along with the puppeteers in the floats and Timon could certainly pull off a show. They could also potentially add in 3rd party acrobats, like the ones who perform in Africa to replace the tumble monkeys and get some of the drummers to replace the fire spinner. The show is pretty modular in its design.

A show like finding Nemo couldn’t happen without equity though.

They would just have to record the voices for the show and train the nonEquity puppeteers they have. Most of those aren’t in puppet roles since there just aren’t enough shows with puppets. It would be different but it could be done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom