WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

TrainsOfDisney

They would just have to record the voices for the show and train the nonEquity puppeteers they have. Most of those aren’t in puppet roles since there just aren’t enough shows with puppets. It would be different but it could be done.

Ya know... I hadn’t thought of that. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but you’re right that could certainly be done.

The full costume characters in a show like beauty and the beast and Timon in lion king.... are those equity?

Lilofan

They would just have to record the voices for the show and train the nonEquity puppeteers they have. Most of those aren’t in puppet roles since there just aren’t enough shows with puppets. It would be different but it could be done.
Good idea. At times I would think if a main character calls out sick for the day, the show may not go on but if the voices are pre recorded ..

Thelazer

Is there anything stopping them from hiring an outside company to do a full production show such as Nemo?
(Sorta like how Uni outsourced Born?)

TrainsOfDisney

Is there anything stopping them from hiring an outside company to do a full production show such as Nemo?
(Sorta like how Uni outsourced Born?)

Flights of wonder is a 3rd party. (The birds and handlers). The stunt drivers in Lights Motors were 3rd party as well if I rememeber correctly.

That doesn’t directly answer your question but that’s the closest things I can think of.

Gringrinngghost

Good idea. At times I would think if a main character calls out sick for the day, the show may not go on but if the voices are pre recorded ..
They can't. Usually for a show, its pre-recorded so they have to recite their lines within a certain time frame. A show like Hocus Pocus or the Castle christmas show is done to a pre-recorded track. In the Christmas show the male and female host mics are Hot (meaning its live), for Hocus Pocus, The sisters are live, everything else is recorded and they are reciting their lines with little vamp space.

A Frozen Holiday Wish ALSO has a pre-recorded with vocals track that they use to rehearse but outside of Olaf is done live.

Polkadotdress

Flights of wonder is a 3rd party. (The birds and handlers). The stunt drivers in Lights Motors were 3rd party as well if I rememeber correctly.

That doesn’t directly answer your question but that’s the closest things I can think of.

The LMA drivers were also Equity. Actually that entire show was Equity.

Flight bird handlers and birds are 3rd party.

asianway

Right... all the actors and dancers in beauty and the beast are equity. But what about the costumed characters. Mrs. Potts, Chip, etc.?

Thanks. I didn’t think so but previous to these discussions I didn’t think the Tumble monkeys were either! Ha.
Fur is never equity

celluloid

I believe the Borne show is Universal team members. At least the several that I know are team members.

The Emcee/non stunt performer speaking roll is Entertainment performers. All physical stunt performers and crew are Action Horizons. A company that does stunt shows and film stunts.

RaiseTheShields

Like a safety track? It’s a thing. If a mic goes out and the backup mic also goes out. Or if a performer is struggling vocally that day. It’s awkward though when a safety track is used and that performer is physically absent or swung out. Most people probably don’t notice but those that do - 🤮

TrainsOfDisney

Like a safety track? It’s a thing. If a mic goes out and the backup mic also goes out. Or if a performer is struggling vocally that day. It’s awkward though when a safety track is used and that performer is physically absent or swung out. Most people probably don’t notice but those that do - 🤮

What industry do you work in? I’ve never heard it called a “safety” track.

RaiseTheShields

What industry do you work in? I’ve never heard it called a “safety” track.

I was a live sound engineer many years ago. I haven’t worked in that biz in a long time now.

Maybe I’m not remembering correctly but I’m almost certain we called it a safety track. Though there are probably a few different names. It’s not like a sweetener though. Definitely main vocals.

What have you heard it called?

TrainsOfDisney

I was a live sound engineer many years ago. I haven’t worked in that biz in a long time now.

Maybe I’m not remembering correctly but I’m almost certain we called it a safety track. Though there are probably a few different names. It’s not like a sweetener though. Definitely main vocals.

What have you heard it called?

“Help track” - but I’m a lighting guy so I’m not to be trusted with these terms anyways! Haha. Do you still do sound at all?

RaiseTheShields

“Help track” - but I’m a lighting guy so I’m not to be trusted with these terms anyways! Haha. Do you still do sound at all?

I’ve never heard it called “help track”, but that is an accurate description haha!

I haven’t mixed in years. I used to love it but ended up on a different path. Lately been doing a lot of programming - mostly controls, which almost always includes some kind of audio.

Touchdown

There’s not nearly enough, google PPE shortage and there are a ton of news stories about it from this week. I won’t directly link because all of them editorialize blame for them on a certain unnamed individual but the information is out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom