WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

Sweet Thing

Is Universal different in that regard? I see USF is moving forward with the new Bourne stunt show which has been going through soft opens. Seems like a large stunt cast for that show and it’s up and running, although much of the cast is wearing masks. Are they not Equity? If so how did they pull that off?
Universal does not have unions for any of their performers.

MickeyMouse10

I think it will open as originally planned. Plus Tom Brady says if you drink his Magical Elixir then you should be immune to Covid. He's a Buccaneer (pirate) now though, so I don't know if he can be trusted anymore. ... Some didn't even trust him before.

asianway

Yeah I got bored enough to research it and sure enough. If you’re going to pay equity $$$ it seems strange not to mic a few more members of the ensemble in beauty and the beast so that’s a bit suprising.

I was able to find equity audition for the 3 look alikes in Indy but not the other stunt performers, the general tumblers.
There’s a scale, Belle makes more than the chorus line

tirian

The issue is that if this becomes a long term deficiency, or is perceived to be a long term deficiency, it reduces the product quality for guests. If the overall product quality dips low enough due to a multitude of factors, it doesn't do Disney favors to open and have high guest dissatisfaction. VPs and staff know that and are weighing variables as they manifest over the next days.

As for the usual "you're a liar" crowd that somehow evades moderation, you'll get no meaningful response because you never deserve it.

Many online fans are perfectly fine paying gouged prices for admission to parks with no night parades, only one day parade, less impressive castle shows, less impressive fireworks (but ooooo, projections just like I get every year at the light festival in my city), etc.

Logic doesn’t matter.

Meanwhile, others of us don’t always agree on taste, but we do agree that we don’t like paying for less than the resort offered in 1998.

tirian

Disney has a contract with Actors Equity through 2022 which requires that certain roles (basically exactly as @DoleWhipDrea said, mainly scripted speaking/singing roles or choreographed roles in stage productions - but not parade or M&G performers) be filled by Equity actors. It is possible that actors who are in AEA can fill roles that are not part of the contract, but I'm pretty sure the Disney contract requires that those roles then be paid at equity rates - which means that it almost never happens! If Disney was to alter/rename roles and recast them with non-Equity performers they would be looking at a labor dispute that could have HUGE ramifications for Disney (SAG and AEA are sister organizations, so movie production could also be greatly impacted if AEA feels that Disney is breaking their contract). For many actors (in fact, every actor that I know, but I'm hesitant to put out a generality like 'most'), getting to the level of being in Actors Equity is a proud achievement - you have to actually perform at certain level of quality theatre for a specific length of time to be allowed to apply for membership. If WDW was to cut off their ties with AEA, the pool of high quality actors would certainly be reduced. And, I for one, am consistently impressed with the quality of actors in the shows at Disney and would be very sad to see that change.

Universal stage performers have voted a few times to not become a part of Actors Equity, so they don't have the protections of AEA - not sure about testing at Universal for performers. Not positive when the last vote was, but I am almost positive that AEA does not have a contract with Universal in Florida.
It’s also complicated if an Equity actor takes a shift in the day parade. Things in Entertainment are complex.

lewisc

Equity CMs cant always maintain social distances. Masks may be problematic. Testing is an obvious need. Pool testing should work. I'll speculate Disney is saying no to testing because Disney doesnt want to open up Equity performances with reduced capacity.

Disney Analyst

Disney elects to make some of their shows equity to get higher quality performers, right?

But in reality Disney could "close" a show, and reopen the show under a regular non-union contract, and no longer use Equity for that particular show. Not that they would do it, but Broadway Tours do that all the time... the producers close the actual Broadway tour, then a company like Networks produces it on a non-equity contract, but utilizes the sets and costumes from the Equity tour, with some modifications to make the show cheaper/easier to run.

TrojanUSC

Disney elects to make some of their shows equity to get higher quality performers, right?

But in reality Disney could "close" a show, and reopen the show under a regular non-union contract, and no longer use Equity for that particular show. Not that they would do it, but Broadway Tours do that all the time... the producers close the actual Broadway tour, then a company like Networks produces it on a non-equity contract, but utilizes the sets and costumes from the Equity tour, with some modifications to make the show cheaper/easier to run.

The way the union contract is structured is that people who fall under certain job categories are part of the Equity union. It has nothing to do with which show. If you're singing on stage, you're Equity.

TrainsOfDisney

What could happen if Disney wanted to call their bluff and still offer entertainment is replace beauty and the beast live on-stage with something like the Pixar live orchestra show. Actually I wonder if the philharmonic will be playing on the castle stage when MK reopens? That would be a good place for them (and reminiscent of the good ole days! Which never went away at Disneyland).

But those changes aren’t overnight. Shows would have to be written, approved, programmed, rehearsed, etc.

Jon81uk

Equity CMs cant always maintain social distances. Masks may be problematic. Testing is an obvious need. Pool testing should work. I'll speculate Disney is saying no to testing because Disney doesnt want to open up Equity performances with reduced capacity.

I think a few of the shows, such as Indiana Jones could work with masks, although that one would need a re-write to remove the audiences volunteers. But seeing Belle wearing a mask I don't think would look right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom