WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

Polkadotdress

Are you sure the dancers are equity in b&tb? I thought that changed a few years ago when they toned down the choreography.

You haven’t convinced me on stunt men, but I’m not saying you are wrong, I genuinely don’t know but I was always under the impression that they were not.

B&B dancers are equity, and that show has never had the choreography toned down. The show is not the exactly the same from when it opened. It was revised at one point to put the segments into a flow that followed the story. When it opened, it was disjunct, and started with "Be Our Guest" and jumped from there into the Village scene, which confused some guests.

Also, entire Cast at Indy are Equity.

Last edited:

celluloid

My guess is that either they’re considered okay because their performers are wearing PPE, are getting tested (speculation, unless someone can confirm), or both. The article linked in the OP specifies that the union didn’t like that Disney’s performers wouldn’t be wearing masks and not getting regularly tested.

Anything tied to equity has a lot of protective measures involved for the performers, as they should. That includes the protection of their jobs. What determines whether a position is equity or not? That depends on the requirements of the role. For example, a face character M&G Belle isn’t equity, while a musical stage show Belle that sings and dances absolutely is. The latter role requires a lot more out of a performer. This is also why M&G Belle can’t burst into song.

Yes, performers for that show have been required tested, one of the things Disney won't do.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'd bet, there are a fair amount of unemployed folks right now.. that are willing to step in and fill positions if others are not.
Disney surly knows they can use this to there advantage to break the unions, bring in at lower rates.
Plenty of furloughed cast members waiting in the wings wanting to get to work. Performer wise? Put a mask on, turn on a Disney recording and have the person move their arms around like they are singing.

Lilofan

Are you sure the dancers are equity in b&tb? I thought that changed a few years ago when they toned down the choreography.

You haven’t convinced me on stunt men, but I’m not saying you are wrong, I genuinely don’t know but I was always under the impression that they were not.
I think DHS Indy Jones actors & stunt men are equity. Sadly one of them approx 14 years ago during a practice tumbling sequence broke his neck on the stage and was killed instantly. The next day, the shows were cancelled but the following day the shows resumed.

asianway

Absolutely positively the dancers in B&B are equity...

stunt men are equity, the contract is public record

HauntedMansionFLA

Sadly...if you’re offered it, that means your decision is made.

I remember when disney did a limited VSP in 2002...at least that was voluntary...but they would have resulted in layoffs had they not gotten enough.

My current company has operated pretty much as normal these last 4 months...but did some furloughs that won’t be recalled. Any excuse to trim the fat.
Disney first attempt to trim the fat is blocking out cast members from the parks.

Jon81uk

Plenty of furloughed cast members waiting in the wings wanting to get to work. Performer wise? Put a mask on, turn on a Disney recording and have the person move their arms around like they are singing.

The union wouldn't allow that and it could have far reaching consequences beyond the theme parks as Equity covers all acting.

HauntedMansionFLA

Blocking out the cast is a profit loss for Disney. Even if some cast can't make their rent or car payments, some will still come to the park and buy the overpriced soda or turkey leg.
But most wont reserve at a resort hotel, dine out every meal and buy their Disney souvenirs to show off back home.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Blocking out the cast is a profit loss for Disney. Even if some cast can't make their rent or car payments, some will still come to the park and buy the overpriced soda or turkey leg.
I agree...it’s like getting 50% of their labor costs back.

But I can totally see why they blocked the mains...

Because the covid rise going on now makes it completely impractical to allow it.

Even though the Morale boost would be beneficial.

Abbs

Disney announced they are going ahead with opening Downtown Disney in California with outdoor dining. If they are doing that, WDW is going to open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney announced they are going ahead with opening Downtown Disney in California with outdoor dining. If they are doing that, WDW is going to open.
They likely are regardless...not to say that’s the right way to go - however.

Remember that the “downtown Disney’s” are mostly third party vendors and they have contracts. Disney can’t mandate their closure easily unless it’s government directed. I would think That the liability issue is different too.

I fully expect Wdw to open as scheduled...but I bet it’s a ghost town and they begin to slash everything almost immediately afterwards.

Abbs

They likely are regardless...not to say that’s the right way to go - however.

Remember that the “downtown Disney’s” are mostly third party vendors and they have contracts. Disney can’t mandate their closure easily unless it’s government directed. I would That the liability issue is different too.

I fully expect Wdw to open as scheduled...but I bet it’s a ghost town and they begin to slash everything almost immediately afterwards.

I'll be there as a first week guinea pig. They have the ability with the reservation system to alter capacity, not all resorts are open and they can capacity control with that as well. Give them 2 weeks and I agree, you will probably see more and more changes happen.

TrainsOfDisney

Absolutely positively the dancers in B&B are equity...

stunt men are equity, the contract is public record

Yeah I got bored enough to research it and sure enough. If you’re going to pay equity $$$ it seems strange not to mic a few more members of the ensemble in beauty and the beast so that’s a bit suprising.

I was able to find equity audition for the 3 look alikes in Indy but not the other stunt performers, the general tumblers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll be there as a first week guinea pig. They have the ability with the reservation system to alter capacity, not all resorts are open and they can capacity control with that as well. Give them 2 weeks and I agree, you will probably see more and more changes happen.
I’m just looking at the best tool I have: the dvc booking calendar.

There doesn’t appear to be a “second wave” coming.

TrainsOfDisney

B&B dancers are equity, and that show has never had the choreography toned down.

There are a few specific changes that felt like being toned down to me, but that’s subjective. But I miss everything. I still miss the dove release, 4 for a dollar pre show and was even sad when they switched over to MA for lighting.

Either way it’s good the whole cast is equity, thats good to know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom