WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

lewisc

Active Member
There is a big difference between not very interested but will go since a family member wants to go, you see a commercial for SWGE and figure why not...and feeling its not safe to go.
 

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
Advertisement
The 72% doesn't say much. Consider this quote:

"According to a 2018 survey, 31 percent of U.S. adults said they would be very interested in going to a theme park in the next 12 months."

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/194269/attendance-at-theme-and-amusement-parks-in-north-america/

In other words, 2 years before COVID-19, 69% of adults were not "very interested in going to a theme park in the next 12 months."

As shown by the number of posts you and I have made on these threads, we are theme park fans. Most adults are not.

COVID-19 certainly has scared away most WDW vacationers. However, I suspect that most adults have little desire to ever vacation at WDW.

Clearly, WDW attendance is way down because of COVID-19. I'm just saying, don't read too much into that "72%" number.

I'm not paying for access to your reference, but the way that statement is phrased tells me there's probably another option that says "somewhat interested" and another that says "interested."

That means the number of people "interested" could range much higher than the 31% you cited.
 

Lirael

Well-Known Member
The 72% doesn't say much. Consider this quote:

"According to a 2018 survey, 31 percent of U.S. adults said they would be very interested in going to a theme park in the next 12 months."

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/194269/attendance-at-theme-and-amusement-parks-in-north-america/

In other words, 2 years before COVID-19, 69% of adults were not "very interested in going to a theme park in the next 12 months."

As shown by the number of posts you and I have made on these threads, we are theme park fans. Most adults are not.

COVID-19 certainly has scared away most WDW vacationers. However, I suspect that most adults have little desire to ever vacation at WDW.

Clearly, WDW attendance is way down because of COVID-19. I'm just saying, don't read too much into that "72%" number.

True, although some other factors are also in play such as: people who would usually vacation out of the country but now cant might turn to Disney. On the other hand, people who would usually go there being financially or healthy wise now unable to go.

But that attendance being down is expected. Foreigners were always a big part of the crowd at parks. Just because americans were the nationality most prominent doesn't mean they were majority of the park. (ex: 40% of the crowd is americans 25% is brazilian, 15% is chinese and 20% is everyone else means americans were not the majority at that day even if they were the largest single nationality).

Disney does need those damn teen tour groups.
 

Monorail_Orange

Well-Known Member
I'm not paying for access to your reference, but the way that statement is phrased tells me there's probably another option that says "somewhat interested" and another that says "interested."

That means the number of people "interested" could range much higher than the 31% you cited.
I agree with you, but in fairness to @ParentsOf4 , they were responding to a sentiment the 72% were not willing to go to theme/amusment parks right now because of Covid-19, leaving, assumably 28% that would go. When you compare that to the other survey, the 31% who were "very interested," that number solidifies the idea that Covid-19 is only really discouraging those were not "very interested" in going in the first place.
 

larryz

Completely Saponificated
Premium Member
I agree with you, but in fairness to @ParentsOf4 , they were responding to a sentiment the 72% were not willing to go to theme/amusment parks right now because of Covid-19, leaving, assumably 28% that would go. When you compare that to the other survey, the 31% who were "very interested," that number solidifies the idea that Covid-19 is only really discouraging those were not "very interested" in going in the first place.
Well, other posters picked that up saying the pool of "interested people" is small to begin with. My point is that 31% were just those who were "very interested." Somewhat and just plain interested would have added to that pool, perhaps substantially.
 

Jrb1979

Well-Known Member
Well, other posters picked that up saying the pool of "interested people" is small to begin with. My point is that 31% were just those who were "very interested." Somewhat and just plain interested would have added to that pool, perhaps substantially.
I don't need no stinking poll to tell me majority of people aren't interested in going to a theme park right now. It really doesn't matter if people are somewhat interested or plain interested they aren't going. There is a reason parks have cut hours or going to weekends only right now.
 

Lilofan

Well-Known Member
I don't need no stinking poll to tell me majority of people aren't interested in going to a theme park right now. It really doesn't matter if people are somewhat interested or plain interested they aren't going. There is a reason parks have cut hours or going to weekends only right now.
The polling people beg to differ. Having polls justify their employment.
 

ParentsOf4

Well-Known Member
I agree with you, but in fairness to @ParentsOf4 , they were responding to a sentiment the 72% were not willing to go to theme/amusment parks right now because of Covid-19, leaving, assumably 28% that would go. When you compare that to the other survey, the 31% who were "very interested," that number solidifies the idea that Covid-19 is only really discouraging those were not "very interested" in going in the first place.
Thanks. Contrary to popular opinion on these threads, I suspect most adults don't find the idea of vacationing at WDW as fun for the usual pre-COVID reasons. (Too expensive, too crowded, too hot, not relaxing, etc.)

Let's instead focus on those who do look forward to theme park vacations.

Based on the 2 surveys already mentioned, that's ~30% of the U.S. population or roughly 100 million. 100 million Americans do not visit WDW every year.

According to TEA's numbers, WDW's 4 theme parks had over 58 million gate clicks in 2019. Wow, sounds like most Americans who want to go are going.

But that's deceptive.

First, in various earnings calls, Disney has reported that approximately 20% of Guests do not come from Canada or the United States.

Second, Guests usually visit multiple WDW theme parks each trip.

Third, local Annual Pass Holders make up.a sizeable portion of attendance.

The point being, only a fraction of those 100 million who might be interested in visiting WDW actually do so in any given year.

Really, it's these tens-of-millions who are very interested in vacationing at WDW but who have decided not to that we should focus on, not the majority of Americans who would not vacation at WDW under any circumstances.

I suspect that most potential theme park vacationers (i.e. the 30%) would like to go WDW but are not doing so because of the usual reasons PLUS COVID-19. COVID-19 clearly has had a devastating impact on WDW attendance.

However, my original point is that the "72%" number is a red herring. It (probably) consists mostly of people with no intention of going to a theme park regardless of circumstances.

WDW attendance is way down because of COVID-19. But I suspect the "72%" number has little to do with it.

Instead, it's the 30% who would like to go but are not going because of COVID-19 that we should focus on.
 
Last edited:

MythBuster

Active Member
That’s not really what that means

Yes, it does. In states that have right-to-work laws, you don't have to be a member of the union to work there. In other states, you have to.
So since this a Disney forum.
At Disneyland, you have to be an union member to work in any job that is covered by a union agreement.
At WDW, you don't have to be a union member to work in a job that is covered by a union agreement. It's your choice.
 

TrainChasers

Well-Known Member
Yes, it does. In states that have right-to-work laws, you don't have to be a member of the union to work there. In other states, you have to.
So since this a Disney forum.
At Disneyland, you have to be an union member to work in any job that is covered by a union agreement.
At WDW, you don't have to be a union member to work in a job that is covered by a union agreement. It's your choice.

Either way it doesn’t really apply to this thread. “earning you e-card” is one of the biggest benefits of an acting job at Disney. (Debatable true, but to many).
 

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, it does. In states that have right-to-work laws, you don't have to be a member of the union to work there. In other states, you have to.
So since this a Disney forum.
At Disneyland, you have to be an union member to work in any job that is covered by a union agreement.
At WDW, you don't have to be a union member to work in a job that is covered by a union agreement. It's your choice.
Without mandatory union membership...a union has little power. A work stoppage is a unions one big bargaining chip...so non mandatory unions effectively eliminate that.

“Right to work” is an oxymoron...it’s not for the benefit of the worker.

But that’s just the reality of it...not really a “Disney” issue per se. for another place and time.
 

Lilofan

Well-Known Member
Yes, it does. In states that have right-to-work laws, you don't have to be a member of the union to work there. In other states, you have to.
So since this a Disney forum.
At Disneyland, you have to be an union member to work in any job that is covered by a union agreement.
At WDW, you don't have to be a union member to work in a job that is covered by a union agreement. It's your choice.
Looks like a substantial savings if at WDW, you elect not to be in a union, not pay union dues and still are covered by the union contract.
 

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom