WDW Spirited Quickees

nytimez

They really need to update the American adventure into something more "new american"...I feel we are not represented well there at all, especially with the new push into american haute cuisine.

Also they need a restaruant on the Mission space/Test Track side of FW....

Seems to me like they got "American cuisine" exactly right, at least for the (ahem) bulk of the people who come to Disney parks.

StageFrenzy

There are so many great hotels in the area that have rack rates FAR below the Disney resorts that I am surprised that anyone stays on-prop anymore. The JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton at the Grand Lakes Resort, The Peabody, The Hiltons at OCCC and Bonnet Creek, and The Waldorf Astoria are ALL FAR superior to any of Disney's offerings and are significantly less pricey than the Disney Deluxes.

A weekend stay at one of those resorts are better than the water parks, the employees seem happy to be at most of the resorts as well. The three hotels that I rotate with is Bonnet Creek, OC Hilton and the Peabody. All have their advantages and disadvantages. BTW the pizzas at the Hilton pool bars are awesome, could have been the drinks though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There are so many great hotels in the area that have rack rates FAR below the Disney resorts that I am surprised that anyone stays on-prop anymore. The JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton at the Grand Lakes Resort, The Peabody, The Hiltons at OCCC and Bonnet Creek, and The Waldorf Astoria are ALL FAR superior to any of Disney's offerings and are significantly less pricey than the Disney Deluxes.

Yes. But they lack the Disney MAGIC. (look I was an addict myself for years ... decades ... I get it!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks so much! Headed to Disneyland for the first time this Sunday! Went through a dvc site so I get to stay in a 1 bedroom villa (sure hope its worth the money) if it ends up being I'll do BLT in 2014. Do u think it will be?

I think I saw on twitter possibly more info on splitsville as we'll. don't suppose they'd say anything else bout DtD?

Edit. I will also mention we have stayed at the Hilton parc soleil several times and really liked it

Can't imagine you not loving the GC. Did you rent points from an owner, because I've heard that it is near impossible to actually book those villas unless you own there?

As to being worth the money, that all depends on how much you are paying, how much time you'll spend in the unit etc.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A weekend stay at one of those resorts are better than the water parks, the employees seem happy to be at most of the resorts as well. The three hotels that I rotate with is Bonnet Creek, OC Hilton and the Peabody. All have their advantages and disadvantages. BTW the pizzas at the Hilton pool bars are awesome, could have been the drinks though.

I'd bet the employees at the Hiltons and Peabody are being paid better and treated better than Disney ...

Oh, and I had a great slice of pizza at the BW pizza window last week (I am putting this out to see how long it takes Disney to raise the price $2 a slice and lower the quality greatly!)

Figment1986

First, you're missing a great show in Walking Dead (unless you read the comics in which case you'll likely be a whiney complainer!) ... but I enjoyed the house at the start, but it really faltered as it moved on. Part of it may have been because they were strictly following the IP.

But I honestly enjoyed all the houses. But usually I get at least a second pass at the good ones (thought all three in the front of the park were by far the best) and this year I didn't ... so not sure I can give fair opinions. There's an outside (very) chance I'll get a second go in two weeks.

The rain really ruined the event. No two ways about that.

if you do go, you have my contact info for meeting up if it's a wed, thurs, or sun ;) and yea, soundstage houses did great... even silent hill ;)

I'll watch walking dead eventually... maybe in nov after the event is over, then again I got Echostar Dish network here in tampa... so no AMC to watch with the new season... ;)

AEfx

Really?!?!

I rather like it. Great location. Lots of dining choices. You even get EMH there too. But, to be fair, I've always paid between $49-70 a night for it on Priceline.com and feel it's a steal at those rates. But it in no way compares to the new Hiltons at Bonnet Creek and the OC CC. They are in a whole nother class ... and are higher caliber than any WDW deluxe property.

I got it for around $100 on Priceline. After staying at the wonderful Grand Cypress the previous four days, I decided to stay one more. I was so hoping for the same place.

I thought their parking lot with all those little toll booths was ridiculous, the place didn't seem in great repair (the "gold" plating around the elevator area was tarnished all over), the staff was pretty unfriendly, and the prices were astronomical ($5 for a bottle of water?? Even at Disney that's crazy). I especially didn't like the extra hold they put on my credit card for "incidentals" - I stay at a decent amount of hotels and had never had that for a one-night stay. I guess I was spoiled by the Grand Cypress, because I thought it was a pretty tacky place and just so un-Disney.

Could have just been a bad time - but I won't chance that place again.

cbconglom

Can't imagine you not loving the GC. Did you rent points from an owner, because I've heard that it is near impossible to actually book those villas unless you own there?

As to being worth the money, that all depends on how much you are paying, how much time you'll spend in the unit etc.

Thanks!
Yeah I went through dvcrentalstore because going through a member made me a little leery.
Yeah the guy from dvcrentalstore said it was a miracle one was available.

Actually the first week I wanted wasn't available and then I got my second pick. And in that 2 weeks time flights went from 400 round trip to 1100! So that sucked worse then mk sit down restaurants.

AEfx

Contrary to what you and your fellow pundits think and want others to think, Ms. Crofton DOES have a soul! You and your fellow pundits are the ones who don't! :mad:

Must have been one of those defective Sears catalog versions which forgot to add the passion and vision and instead doubled up on the phoney and greedy parts.

MerlinTheGoat

Don't you have better things to do than post here, Meg?
Well if she did, we might actually have a decent (or at least better) condition WDW than we do right now. And we can't very well have that can we? It just wouldn't do. :p

I don't want to sound like an apologist but I feel we should limit our attacks on Meg to a professional level not a personal level, Especially if the rumors about her health are true.
I'll also agree with you there, though I think this should hold true regardless of her health condition. Poor health or not, the fact remains that she has been doing a very bad job with the parks for years. Don't worry, you don't sound like any such apologist or whatever. I don't think such comments are warranted either. The problem IS professional, so you're right. There's no reason to mock her on a personal level. Some people, regardless of how decent a person they are in real lives, just aren't cut out to properly manage a place like WDW. Ms Crofton definitely fits this description, heard she was a nice person when you meet her or whatever but she's clearly done a rather terrible job at her task of overseeing WDW.

M.rudolf

I honestly like people like country bear they see DW as the most perfect place in the world with no flaws,truly childlike awe. I may not like the way he/she posts but I do respect the passion, unless they are trolling for trolling sake. Country bear at least doesn't claim to know it all and probably visits the parks. Everyone has there opinions and at this point Disney is very polarizing

bubbles1812

I love how when someone on this site has a polorizing opinion that a majority of posters don't agree with, we don't respect the opinion, and don't take advantage of the convenient 'ignore' button. Instead, we have to comment on the poster's claims telling them how wrong they are, that they live in a basement, and that they are in fact Meg Crofton, simply for the echo chamber of likes we will receive in return. :rolleyes:

He can have any opinion he wants and I'm fine with that. I don't mind differing opinions from my own. We don't often agree space but I still enjoy reading your posts. But he continually tells other people they are just absolutely false in the things they state even in the face of being proven wrong by solid evidence. Rarely have I seen him add to a conversation other than saying something to attack a poster or saying "that is completely not true" and "knock of the snark" ect ect. complete with an angry face on nearly every post, which demonstrates to me a certain level of immaturity and unwillingness to consider others opinions. Obviously some care should be taken in the way we post things but most of what I've seen where he is telling others they shouldn't post "that way" is harmless fun, where he is the only one taking issue. And ttroyer has a good point about calling someone's opinions evil simply because it differs from theirs.
I'll also agree with you there, though I think this should hold true regardless of her health condition. Poor health or not, the fact remains that she has been doing a very bad job with the parks for years. Don't worry, you don't sound like any such apologist or whatever. I don't think such comments are warranted either. The problem IS professional, so you're right. There's no reason to mock her on a personal level. Some people, regardless of how decent a person they are in real lives, just aren't cut out to properly manage a place like WDW. Ms Crofton definitely fits this description, heard she was a nice person when you meet her or whatever but she's clearly done a rather terrible job at her task of overseeing WDW.

Agree with everything you said here. I am sorry to hear that she is in poor health and to that degree, I can cut her a little slack in terms of what is going on "right now" at WDW. But the problems and mismanagement started long before she fell ill and she still has responsibility for that in my mind.

nytimez

I love how when someone on this site has a polorizing opinion that a majority of posters don't agree with, we don't respect the opinion, and don't take advantage of the convenient 'ignore' button. Instead, we have to comment on the poster's claims telling them how wrong they are, that they live in a basement, and that they are in fact Meg Crofton, simply for the echo chamber of likes we will receive in return. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to defend Ms. Crofton, that's great. But do so with facts, no anger-driven drivel.

PS: You should contact the police about your missing sense of humor. Once you get it back, I'm pretty sure you'll realize I didn't literally mean that the poster is Meg Crofton.

PPS: "Drivel" refers not to your post, but the posts you appear to be defending.

PPPS: I've never written a PPPS before. Would seem like a shame to miss the opportunity now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom