WDW Spirited Quickees

WDW1974

Original Poster
FWIW, Lance posted today that the area behind DL's FL is being slated for a new Oz Land, based on the new Raimi film coming out early next year. I've heard that Baxter was working on a new project for Frontierland, so is this it?

I should ask 'Lance Who?' but I'm pretty sure I know who you are speaking of.

I know there has been a major project based on Oz pitched. I know that Tony has a few major things he is working on (including a larger than has been reported year-long total redo of BTMRR that should start as soon as the holidays end) and has been seen taking the companies top execs around said area (top meaning not Georgie K).

I've been told if Oz is a huge hit tentpole deal that will result in sequels then DL is likely to see something built tied to that property ... but Lone Ranger is also in the mix and has had projects pitched based on that. I'd guess they are both gonna duke it out for that piece of land.

What intrigues me are two possible scenarios:
1.) What if both movies are huge hits?;
2.) What if neither film does much to ignite a following?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I love how imaginative, yet dark, Return to Oz is... and the fact that it's truer to the original source material in a lot of ways than the 1939 MGM film is.

It's the perfect movie to show to any young children you might want to traumatize...
drevil.gif

I knew I've been missing my mojo!!!
drevil.gif
drevil.gif
drevil.gif

Magenta Panther

Got this from wiki

The film is based loosely on the second and third Oz books, The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904) and Ozma of Oz (1907). The element about Tik-Tok being "The Royal Army of Oz" derives from Tik-Tok of Oz (1914), in which he is made the Royal Army of Oogaboo, and also makes frequent cries of "Pick me up!" That book was itself based on a dramatic production, The Tik-Tok Man of Oz (1913)

Mm-hm, like I said, "very very little". "Loosely" is the word to focus on here. ;)

Magenta Panther

I should ask 'Lance Who?' but I'm pretty sure I know who you are speaking of.

I know there has been a major project based on Oz pitched. I know that Tony has a few major things he is working on (including a larger than has been reported year-long total redo of BTMRR that should start as soon as the holidays end) and has been seen taking the companies top execs around said area (top meaning not Georgie K).

I've been told if Oz is a huge hit tentpole deal that will result in sequels then DL is likely to see something built tied to that property ... but Lone Ranger is also in the mix and has had projects pitched based on that. I'd guess they are both gonna duke it out for that piece of land.

What intrigues me are two possible scenarios:
1.) What if both movies are huge hits?;
2.) What if neither film does much to ignite a following?

Frankly, I'm betting on number 2. While I'm rooting for both movies to do well, I can't see them igniting a series of films the way Pirates did. As for the potential Oz project...is there any chance Disney can come to an agreement with Turner about incorporating aspects of the 1939 Oz movie into a DL attraction?

cheezbat

I find Oz to be more interesting than the Lone Ranger as is...but watching the trailers for both movies....completely solidifies my opinion.

The Lone Ranger looks predictable and boring.

alphac2005

That's actually how I took it.

Although, I don't think being a businesswoman (or businessman) means you have to be the antithesis of Walt. He made quite a bit of money, too (and sure, almost lost it all a few times along the way).

Probably is impossible in the current climate, however, where there is (sadly) nothing more important than the next quarterly report.

That's why if there isn't an epiphany in corporate America (odds of slim and none), then there really isn't much of any degree of positive news out there for most of us fans or travelers. Zeroing in on what WDW1974 has posted, you already have a resort in Florida that is becoming out of reach, has become out of reach, and/or the cost versus the quality of what you're paying for isn't there, it seems like the trajectory looks even worse than ever.

The days of the Walt Disney World Resort that we remember are now long gone and unless there is a major corporate awakening, it'll stay like that. There used to be a rather high ethos for most major corporations in this country and this has been shattered. I think that people regardless of political party can agree to that and for the vast majority of us with no voice amongst the small controlling interest, all we can do is hope that through whatever event, situation, etc., that things can get on-track again with some corporate responsibility.

Walt Disney's guiding principals, like you mentioned above, along with his brother's astute business mind, allowed for the public to have a quality product and for the business to be quite successful. It's a shame that this model has been all but abandoned. It's interesting that if you look at many highly successful American business today that dominate the Inc. Top Employer lists, they treat their employees with respect including respectful wages, offer the consumer outstanding service, outstanding product, and listen to their customers all the while not gouging the heck out of them. And, these business end up being quite profitable and many times the envy of the market. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to truly figure out what works here.

Yensid1974

That's why if there isn't an epiphany in corporate America (odds of slim and none), then there really isn't much of any degree of positive news out there for most of us fans or travelers. Zeroing in on what WDW1974 has posted, you already have a resort in Florida that is becoming out of reach, has become out of reach, and/or the cost versus the quality of what you're paying for isn't there, it seems like the trajectory looks even worse than ever.

The days of the Walt Disney World Resort that we remember are now long gone and unless there is a major corporate awakening, it'll stay like that. There used to be a rather high ethos for most major corporations in this country and this has been shattered. I think that people regardless of political party can agree to that and for the vast majority of us with no voice amongst the small controlling interest, all we can do is hope that through whatever event, situation, etc., that things can get on-track again with some corporate responsibility.

Walt Disney's guiding principals, like you mentioned above, along with his brother's astute business mind, allowed for the public to have a quality product and for the business to be quite successful. It's a shame that this model has been all but abandoned. It's interesting that if you look at many highly successful American business today that dominate the Inc. Top Employer lists, they treat their employees with respect including respectful wages, offer the consumer outstanding service, outstanding product, and listen to their customers all the while not gouging the heck out of them. And, these business end up being quite profitable and many times the envy of the market. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to truly figure out what works here.

You are absolutely correct. I think the first step to moving towards this again for Disney is to begin what will be a long term process of buying back stock. If they can remove the majority of pressure from stockholders to get their roi for them, then you can see the flexibility to return to that type of business model. I just don't see it happening as it stands today with the investors.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Frankly, I'm betting on number 2. While I'm rooting for both movies to do well, I can't see them igniting a series of films the way Pirates did. As for the potential Oz project...is there any chance Disney can come to an agreement with Turner about incorporating aspects of the 1939 Oz movie into a DL attraction?

No idea on the '39 rights. Just that things were contentious in the late 80s for the GMR rights.

I have heard that folks at WDI are getting all hot and bothered over potential projects coming to DLR right now ... there are MANY things being talked about (only Stark Expo is a go, right now) and it will be interesting to see what develops.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I can only say what I've said many times, which often gets nasty responses, but WDW is simply a microcosm of what we've seen done to our country ... and I am not hopeful (at least near term) that things get better on either front.

Jedeye80

Seen both the oz and Lone Ranger trailers, gotta say Lone Ranger looks a bit wild Wild West to me, think its going to rely too much on depps box office appeal. Oz on the other hand looks a bit more intriguing and with Sam rami involved my hopes are high, here's hoping Disney have 2 hits on their hands that could find a home in their parks.

Its amazing to hear that Disney is developing attraction concepts for 2 movies that haven't opened yet but it took them 21 years to open a ride based on The Little Mermaid. I don't understand the desire to push their back catalogue aside. Remember about 15 years ago or so when the animated short Runaway Brain was released and for the first time in a very long time they managed to make Mickey slightly cool again? Remember the mortal combat type video game featuring the wicked queen battling dopey and hurling apples at him? See its possible for Disney to be relevant. They shouldn't try and be hip but they can be relevant. Really.

Imagine if they had designed that grand e-ticket for fantasyland featuring Mickey? A state of the art attraction with Mickey could be outstanding. I don't get it. With Mickey they're truly sitting on a goldmine. The possibilities are endless. Eventually though individuals will lose any connection to him because they won't understand why they're supposed to like him to begin with. Kids growing up today aren't going to understand that he was featured in state of the art animation 70 years ago. Its extremely important to make Mickey relevant again whether it be through an attraction or an animated short. Let Lasseter do it, I'm sure he'd be willing. Make Mickey entertaining for more then just 5 year olds.

M.rudolf

Just want to chime in and say Oz and Lone Ranger look pretty good. I'll be shocked if either one flops, especially LR.
With verbinski if its anything like Rango it be will pretty good. I hope oz is decent, I like the older raimi films and the orginal oz

BlueSkyDriveBy

(only Stark Expo is a go, right now)
Are we talking an actual green light for the project?

When will groundbreaking begin?

What exactly is Stark Expo, besides the high tech queue that Shanghai was going to get in front of their thrill ride?

Is DL getting the cancelled TL project from Shanghai?

jam814

What exactly is Stark Expo, besides the high tech queue that Shanghai was going to get in front of their thrill ride?

DL is getting an Ironman attraction replacing innovations. I have no idea what canceled shanghai ride you're talking about.

RSoxNo1

Lutz said February in an article yesterday.

Clever Name

DL is getting an Ironman attraction replacing innovations.
Why base an attraction on Ironman? He's among the weakest superheros. Even with his power to evolve and change, he's still a poor excuse for a real superhero. The Underminer could whip Ironman.

Jim ex-emporium

I can wish they would use the Long Ranger to build the long ago Western River Expedition mega-attraction originally planned for Magic Kingdom (see original planning maps at the long ago Ocala, preview building. It would be the best ride ever!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom