WDW Spirited Quickees

misterID

So....... Let me get this straight, something big is possibly happening with DHS (a big clone from DCA) but nothing is coming to EPCOT and AK in the near or even distant future? *I'm going ahead and pretending Avland was never mentioned*

BTW, thanks to Spirit (and others) for mentioning the off propery hotels, rates and mini review. I've just changed my plans for next years trip to WDW. First time I'll be staying off property, curious to see how much it will change the experience.

M.rudolf

So....... Let me get this straight, something big is possibly happening with DHS (a big clone from DCA) but nothing is coming to EPCOT and AK in the near or even distant future? *I'm going ahead and pretending Avland was never mentioned*

BTW, thanks to Spirit (and others) for mentioning the off propery hotels, rates and mini review. I've just changed my plans for next years trip to WDW. First time I'll be staying off property, curious to see how much it will change the experience.
I did this on the last trip the experience was actually better. We ate at better restaurants, relaxed a little mora and saw more of Orlando. Also going to universal was less of a chore and not relying in Disney transportation saves us a lot of time

flynnibus

Premium Member
I doubt they would call out the establishment by name in the legislation ... but the timing is very curious and the length of time it has taken to build the place only adds more ... speculation.

The WWoS location is far more likely - given it is something people would argue would be a draw for the area - similar to a baseball stadium, etc.. and such things would drive revenue in the area via events and the people who travel to them. Two things a simple bar+bowling center would never do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"So, why would anyone invest in an a new "gate" when we have several billion dollars in evidence right now that the gate itself is unnecessary if you give people a new reason to visit -- or a new reason to stay longer -- in what's already there?"

Then why did they build EPCOT if the Magic Kingdom (and the resort) was doing extremely well? That is what I meant...not that you actually said that...sorry for making it seem that way.

You're taking something from Mars... and comparing it to something on Venus. His comment was about the parks open today - something entirely different from the environment that existed in 1976

Magikal

Anyone want to tell me how convenient WDW bus transport is?

The other day I waited 40 minutes for a bus at WL (where I was parked because I don't like the main lots and feel like I shouldn't park with the commoners) to MK while FOUR Studios buses came and left (two empty) and the dude I called on the courtesy phone, just placed me on hold for 7-8 minutes hoping a bus would eventually come before he had to do something.

Space Mountain still sucks. Seriously.

Mansion still is amazing. Seriously.

ToT still is best version as far as ride profile goes. Seriously.

Who is paying for the $160 signature dinners at Brown Derby or Kouzzina? In this economy? There are only so many defense contractors/private army folks out there.

Monorails still reek and are not reliable. .

Nothing to see at GF ... no timeshares being built.

Next Starbucks will be EPCOT and will be Fountainview.

Hopefully, the next next one won't be Sid's One of a Kind shop, which has had over half its merchandise removed. Had the picture of the man who played Sid until his death a few years ago removed and has been locked tight early when it even opens. ... Maybe they'll take the one shop worth visiting there and turn it into a vinyl shop. ... Of course, the outlets are selling them for $2 a piece so clearly everyone isn't buying them.

Want to thank the friends who maingated family and friends for three days -- FREE is definitely a fair price to pay for WDW, especially with EMH thrown in!

WDW parking lots are in pathetic shape and Studios has been so neglected that it floods every time it rains.

OK ... that should keep y'all busy for a bit.

Oh, there also is something going on behind Main Street, but I don't think it's anything big despite a rumor going round (that I won't give credence to by repeating here).
Wow. Brutal. Are you sure you WANT to be there? I know there's issues, but....idk....

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was there that night after class, Their legions weren't allowed to play in the rain... (I hear this has changed somewhat with alterations in costumes and props for some of them on rainy nights) they came back out around 11, I had the chainsaw girls near penn and teller at 11:30

How did you like the feel of the IP houses versus the OP houses... (penn and teller doesn't fit either since it's satire and it always feels good)

I have never seen walking dead the show but it feels like direct copy of the material... too direct...

I love silent hill, never played the game or movie but i know the material...

Bill and ted, you didn't miss much... it's completely random and unlike recent years...

First, you're missing a great show in Walking Dead (unless you read the comics in which case you'll likely be a whiney complainer!) ... but I enjoyed the house at the start, but it really faltered as it moved on. Part of it may have been because they were strictly following the IP.

But I honestly enjoyed all the houses. But usually I get at least a second pass at the good ones (thought all three in the front of the park were by far the best) and this year I didn't ... so not sure I can give fair opinions. There's an outside (very) chance I'll get a second go in two weeks.

The rain really ruined the event. No two ways about that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At Disney stranger things have happened. As my old friend joker is fond of saying " why so serious"

True.

And I think most of your info meshes well with what I have heard.

But not this. Not even close and it makes no sense from how Tony has been treated at Disney. The only way he works on a project outside DL's gates is if he is blackmailing someone with pics. Literally.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That OC Hilton is so nice. I have stayed there multiple times at around that price. Way nicer than many wdw deluxe resorts.

I'd do so far as to say that Hilton is one of the best in the world.

The public areas and pool, which really is a water park/lazy river setup, are on par or better than many Ritz Carltons I've been to.

But it doesn't have Pixie Dust, so let's all pay $500-600 for a standard room at the GF or the Poly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Denny's in LBV is a typical Denny's but not dirty. Stays busy. I recall though that they experienced a steep decline in business when Pleasure Island closed. Came close to dropping the overnight shift.

Perkins took a HUGE hit after PI closed. They cut overnight staff, so then when they actually get busy they can't keep up. IHOP has become the go to place for CMs late night largely because htey still offer a discount. Not sure about vacationers though. Don't all good little mousekatears go to bed by 10? that's what DTD mgmt thinks!

Never done Perkins (well, not in 25 years!) ... but Denny's was quite packed at 2 a.m. last Friday night. And CMs get 20% discounts there as well.

And I;ll take a dessert or breakfast there anyday ... it's not fine cuisine, but it's not supposed to be and it is damn tasty and cheap.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What are the odds we'll hear any announcements at the "what's next" press conference scheduled for dec 7th?

I doubt they'll say anything on Dec. 7 that will take attention away from what's opening on Dec. 6.

I think you'll hear quite a bit. No, I don't think you'll hear an announcement of Carsland or a detailed look at Pandora, which is still mythical in more ways than one. ... And even though Disney is quietly looking into anothet ship for DCL, nothing is imminent.

But you are likely to hear about the remaining Fantasyland things that aren't open (Mine train ride and Princess Hall) ... you are likely to get official confirm of new MK parade and some art ... you are likely to hear more about GF DVC ... you are likely to even hear about replacements for Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast at TPFKaTD-MGMS ... you will likely hear more about FastPass Plus and how it will work. So, it will be a pretty meaty event. You will hear things that you didn't know for sure about. But you won't get major E-Ticket announcements. ... Oh, you'll also likely hear about two new dining venues for EPCOT (the only thing they ever add there).

WDW1974

Original Poster

Where are you planning on staying?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow. Brutal. Are you sure you WANT to be there? I know there's issues, but....idk....

Brutal?!?!?

You thought what I posted was brutal?

You ain't seen nothing, believe me.

I was just honest and I still had a great time thanks to great folks I got to spend time with (some of whom are likely reading along).

AEfx

I'd do so far as to say that Hilton is one of the best in the world.

The public areas and pool, which really is a water park/lazy river setup, are on par or better than many Ritz Carltons I've been to.

But it doesn't have Pixie Dust, so let's all pay $500-600 for a standard room at the GF or the Poly.

That's a stark contrast to the one at DTD, which is the biggest overpriced crap hole I have ever laid eyes on.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's a stark contrast to the one at DTD, which is the biggest overpriced crap hole I have ever laid eyes on.

Really?!?!

I rather like it. Great location. Lots of dining choices. You even get EMH there too. But, to be fair, I've always paid between $49-70 a night for it on Priceline.com and feel it's a steal at those rates. But it in no way compares to the new Hiltons at Bonnet Creek and the OC CC. They are in a whole nother class ... and are higher caliber than any WDW deluxe property.

Disneyhead'71

There are so many great hotels in the area that have rack rates FAR below the Disney resorts that I am surprised that anyone stays on-prop anymore. The JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton at the Grand Lakes Resort, The Peabody, The Hiltons at OCCC and Bonnet Creek, and The Waldorf Astoria are ALL FAR superior to any of Disney's offerings and are significantly less pricey than the Disney Deluxes.

cbconglom

I think you'll hear quite a bit. No, I don't think you'll hear an announcement of Carsland or a detailed look at Pandora, which is still mythical in more ways than one. ... And even though Disney is quietly looking into anothet ship for DCL, nothing is imminent.

But you are likely to hear about the remaining Fantasyland things that aren't open (Mine train ride and Princess Hall) ... you are likely to get official confirm of new MK parade and some art ... you are likely to hear more about GF DVC ... you are likely to even hear about replacements for Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast at TPFKaTD-MGMS ... you will likely hear more about FastPass Plus and how it will work. So, it will be a pretty meaty event. You will hear things that you didn't know for sure about. But you won't get major E-Ticket announcements. ... Oh, you'll also likely hear about two new dining venues for EPCOT (the only thing they ever add there).

Thanks so much! Headed to Disneyland for the first time this Sunday! Went through a dvc site so I get to stay in a 1 bedroom villa (sure hope its worth the money) if it ends up being I'll do BLT in 2014. Do u think it will be?

I think I saw on twitter possibly more info on splitsville as we'll. don't suppose they'd say anything else bout DtD?

Edit. I will also mention we have stayed at the Hilton parc soleil several times and really liked it

Magikal

Brutal?!?!?

You thought what I posted was brutal?

You ain't seen nothing, believe me.

I was just honest and I still had a great time thanks to great folks I got to spend time with (some of whom are likely reading along).
Ok, THIS makes it MUCH easier to swallow the harshly worded few pages of play by play.
No disrespect intended, it's just that even though i'm fully aware of the issues on property being fortunate enough to visit WDW 1 or 2x a year, I also realize how very blessed my family is to be able to go.
I fell in love with Disney as a child but my dream didn't come true until I was a junior in high school & our band went to play/march in the MK parade. I had to sell a whole lotta frozen pizzas & citrus fruit. We couldn't afford it any other way. My mom was able to go with me for FREE! She's a Registered Nurse & school required we have one along. There was more than a couple nurses that 'applied' for the position, but I had just lost the majority of my humerus to a tumor (osteosarcoma) 6 months earlier, so my mom *may* have got a bit of preferential treatment, if you kwim. ;) We got to share the MAGIC together for the first time, but it was bittersweet. I had a dad and younger sister & brother who were not able to go. I wasn't like other teens. Family was, and is, very important to me so the good-byes & guilt were really hard. BUT, that trip was the start to an annual family tradition! My parents couldn't afford to send the family along the first time because of me. Had it not been for the obscene amount of medical bills, everyone could have gone. I didn't know that then, of course.
Anyway, my apologies for being long-winded & offering WAY TMI. I guess I will always feel priveleged to be able to go to WDW & stay on property. It has it's problems, but it sure does beat a rundown, bug-infested Ramada with 3 girls to one bathroom over an hour away from the parks!!!

Gregoryp73

Oh, you'll also likely hear about two new dining venues for EPCOT (the only thing they ever add there).

They really need to update the American adventure into something more "new american"...I feel we are not represented well there at all, especially with the new push into american haute cuisine.

Also they need a restaruant on the Mission space/Test Track side of FW....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom